Based on the returns of questionnaires by our Daegu tour members, the following figures and comments indicate the level of satisfaction enjoyed by tour participants.
Overall Tour Rating: Excellent 47%, Very Good 53%. We take it that with 100% rating the tour at least very good that the tour was well received by all. Some comments:
- "[We] thoroughly enjoyed our trip with T&FN to Daegu. Thank you for providing a great experience."
- "People who passed on this trip missed a great trip."
- "Thanks for all the planning that went into this trip."
- "Thank you for providing a great experience."
- "Great tour as usual."
- "The basic tour was a clone of 12 other very worthwhile experiences."
Track Tickets and Seat Locations: Excellent 57%, Very Good 33%, Good 7%, Fair 3%. The ticket situation was unusual. Except for Day 1, tour members were free to sit anywhere in our section, which was good in some ways, bad in others, particularly since many school children were allowed to use our section and they often filled the seats, making it difficult for latecomers. Still, with 90% rating the tickets and location at least very good, there obviously wasn't a high level of dissatisfaction.
- "Open seating sounded good---did not turn out to be. Koreans gave away seats and filled our section, sometimes before members arrived."
- "There were sections very close to the finish line with much better seats than ours. I sat there except for the first morning." [If we had ordered tickets for that section, your tour package cost would have been $600 higher. Who could have predicted that they wouldn't check or care who sat in those seats?]
- "Open seating was a negative. It wasn't your fault. But you would go to our section and all those school kids were there."
Hotel: Excellent 53%, Very Good 14%, Good 30%, Fair 3%. We had two hotels: the four-star Novotel which was one of the best hotels in town, and the Hotel Mythos, which was pretty far from four-star, but was reasonable in quality and afforded tour members a considerable saving in costs.
- "Mythos was excellent, staff very friendly and accommodating."
- "The Novotel was a little overpriced but very nice. As I understand it it would have been hard [impossible] to get another hotel as good as this, at a lower price.
- "Given the overall hotel situation in Daegu, the Mythos was fine. The price was a bargain and the owners did all they could to make us feel welcome."
- "Just loved Jay [our Korean liaison at the Mythos]."
- "Lloyd made an excellent hotel captain. One of my (non-track-related) highlights was having Jay take a group of us out for Korean BBQ."
Welcome Function: Excellent 52%, Very Good 45%, Good 3%.
Gala Dinner Party: Excellent 63%, Very Good 30%, Good 4%, Fair 3%.
Athlete guests at the party were Ashton Eaton, Jill Camarena-Williams, Doc Patton, plus chief starter Alan Bell.
- "The tour was great and the gala dinner the best event of all."
- "Invite more athletes to speak at the party. It is the best part of the tour."
- "I suggest you eliminate having as many athletes speak and the Welcome and Gala Dinner and instead bring in more professional speakers closely related to the sport."
[Sorry, not gonna happen. Tour members have told us overwhelmingly that they want to see and hear athletes at these affairs. We occasionally do supplement these proceedings with experts or other observers of the sport, but it's the athletes that make these parties what they are.]
Airport Transfers: Excellent 64%, Very Good 28%, Good 8%.
TAFNOT Times (tour newsletter): Excellent 43%, Very Good 23%, Good 27%, Fair 7%. The daily newsletter is generally ready at each hotel for breakfast and provides behind-the-scenes info on what happened the day before and what to expect for the current day.
- "The daily newsletter is excellent---the tour wouldn't be the same without it."
- "We particularly liked receiving the written updates each day."
Goodies (tote bag, polo shirt): Excellent 20%, Very Good 60%, Good 13%, Fair 7%.
Day Trip to Palgong Mtn.: Excellent 55%, Very Good 25%, Good 20%.
Day Trip to Gyeongju: Excellent 40%, Very Good 47%, Good 13%.
Brad Whisler, Jill & Dustin
Lloyd Stephens and friends
City Tour: Excellent 9%, Very Good 32%, Good 41%, Fair 14%, Poor 4%.
The ratings somewhat reflect the fact that Daegu's attractions aren't all that fascinating to most Western eyes, and that the tour guide's English was hard for some to understand.
Professional Approach of Staff: Excellent 77%, Very Good 23%.
Communicative, Informative? Excellent 77%, Very Good 23%
Concern for Tour Member Welfare: Excellent 72%, Very Good 24%, Good 4%
Pre-Trip Communication, Info: Excellent 78%, Very Good 22%.
Overall Planning, Arrangements: Excellent 65%, Very Good 35%
- "Lloyd made an excellent hotel captain."
- "Lloyd was a great tour leader at the Mythos."
- "Janet does a great job."
Party at the Hotel Mythos
Extension Tour: Overall Rating: Excellent 100%. Fifteen tour members joined us for the optional extension trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. Obviously, it was a very well received and very enjoyable trip.
- "Post tour one of the best we have taken: guides, itineraries, meals. All superb."
- "The extension tour, with Janet as our leader, was one of your best. Thank you, Janet."
- "The post tour was fantastic. Saigon is my new favorite city in the world."
Cost of Tour: A Bargain 21%, Reasonable 75%, Too High 4%.
- "How can we have a track meet without the unbearable, extraneous music sound? We loved the Korean kids and the warmth of the whole city."
- "Three of us shared a few beers over two nights with Dick Fosbury. What a fascinating guy and a great story teller!"
- "The Korean people were wonderful---they'd go out of their way to give you directions. That offset the lack of tourist attractions in Daegu. Having the Worlds in a place not well-attuned to track & field is like having the World Series in France."
Janet waves to the camera