Mrs. Don Imus, Former Runner at Villanova?

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Mrs. Don Imus, Former Runner at Villanova?

Postby Charley Shaffer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:50 pm

This seems like a good time to post the following:

U.S. radio personality Don Imus has frequently bragged in the past that his wife had a track scholarship at Villanova.

Her maiden name is Deirdre Coleman (although you'll sometimes see it misspelled as Deidre). According to Don, she was a middle distance runner. Several sources list her birthdate as being 1964, which is consistent with statements that he has made.

However, a March 4, 1999 Web posting on "DeLorenzo's Dugout" by James DeLorenzo states that she is not found in media guides, and also includes a statement by former Villanova coach "Uncle Marty" Stern that she never ran for Villanova. Here's the link:

http://www.delorenzosdugout.com/archive.cfm?id=37

Can anyone find Deirdre Coleman in any results or lists from the early to mid-1980s?
Charley Shaffer

Postby paulthefan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:30 pm

sure just google flaxen headed ho, and there she is.... (that is just a joke so please dont excommunicate me, im sure she is a wonderful woman almost on par with the lady scarlet knights)
paulthefan

Postby MJR » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:15 am

paulthefan wrote:sure just google flaxen headed ho, and there she is.... (that is just a joke so please dont excommunicate me, im sure she is a wonderful woman almost on par with the lady scarlet knights)

I hereby nominate the above statement for a 2007 TAFNY Award!
MJR

Postby mrbowie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:59 am

Mrs. Imus the best part of the entry.
mrbowie

Postby paulthefan » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:10 pm

I dont know anything about the girl but before we run off and make a mistake we should find out what her name was as a youth, is it possibe that her father was not a Coleman and therefore she went by some name other than Diedre Coleman.
paulthefan

Postby jhc68 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:05 pm

Best part about Imus being fired is not having to listen to his wife.

I'll miss the guy because he was the best interviewer of public figures in current media. The rest of the show was infantile. And Mrs. Imus was tiresome beyond belief.
jhc68

Postby MJD » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:25 am

Here is the darkwing exchange, also started by Charley.

http://www.mail-archive.com/t-and-f@lis ... 01477.html
MJD

Postby gh » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:47 am

I had no idea darkwing was still alive!
gh

Postby MJD » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:54 am

That was from 2000. Here are all the posts in the last 15 months:

http://www.mail-archive.com/t-and-f@lis ... html#00404
MJD

Postby Halfmiler2 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:30 am

It is not implausible that she may have been briefly on the Villanova team in the early 1980's. Keep in mind that it would have been during the pre-NCAA years when women competed in the AIAW. My wife was a tennis player for Georgetown in the AIAW days and women's collegiate athletics was a whole different world compared to today. Records from the period were probably sporadically kept.

It may also have also been before Uncle Marty Stern became the women's coach which is the point that the program went big-time. It is even possible that the Villanova women's team was a club team for a while before becoming a varsity sport varsity. I recall the Penn Women's team was first a club team for a year or two in the later 1970's.

As for the women's media guides, they were probably incomplete at the time and might have not picked up all the walk-ons - especially if someone joined mid-season. A perusal of the student newspaper archives might provide a better answer. Given that she was later a respectable roadrunner, I'd tend to give her the benefit of the doubt.
Halfmiler2

Postby Track fan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:05 pm

I thought it was Don Imus, considering he had a pack a day habit, that would make him the greatest endurance runner ever. He could have been a sprinter after all Jessie Owens smoked while sprinting at OSU..... :lol:
Track fan

Postby Friar » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:13 pm

A couple of things. I was a listener and Imus started talking about this subject around the time his wife was training for her first NY Marathon which was about ten years ago, I think.

He didn't say she ran Mid-Dis., or did a 4:30 mile: as I remember it he said she was a sprinter. I do remember him referencing a track scholarship, which clearly never happend.

My guess is she ran a little in HS, did a few quarters at Nova and decided she was on the team. I looked at the '82,83 CC roster for the BE championships and the coach at the time was Bob Shoudt. This was a couple of years before the V. Huber era. Mary Ellen McGowan ran #1 for those teams, and Mrs.Imus's name wasn't on the roster of 14.

Her current bio said she has done a few Tri's and marathons. Another piece said she ran NY in 3:30. (I'm assuming the NYRR's are down with that).

In the times she was on with Imus I never heard her mention running. I can see someone beefing up their resume, but saying things that don't check out over a network radio show is pretty stupid.
Friar

Postby tandfman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:28 am

Friar wrote: I can see someone beefing up their resume, but saying things that don't check out over a network radio show is pretty stupid.

Stupid? Perhaps. Unprecedented? I don't think so.
tandfman