Proud Papa

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Proud Papa

Postby trackstar » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:38 pm

I left my little 3-year-old daughter with my parents for the weekend, and they told me that she found a piece of PVC pipe left over from a construction project, picked it up, ran with it, planted it in the ground and then used it to jump up in the air.

I scratched my head as to where she could have gotten the idea to do such a thing, and then I remembered that I took her to her first track meet the previous weekend, and we caught the tail end of the women's pole vault. We only saw three jumps, but I guess it was enough to stick with her. Brought a tear to my eye.

Now if I can just convince her mama that pole vaulting isn't as dangerous as she thinks it is. 2020 Olympics, here we come!
trackstar

Re: Proud Papa

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:42 pm

Too bad you don't have a picture to post on the web! I'll bet it's hilarious - in a good way!

Postby 1.97hjsteve » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:44 pm

Dragila, watch out ! Here she comes !
1.97hjsteve

Postby oldvaulter » Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:55 pm

Get her into a gymnastics class right away! Many opportunities for 3-year olds there -- not so many in pole vaulting. Gymnastics is a valuable, nearly indispensible, background skill for vaulters. Many top vaulters have gymnastics backgrounds, especially the women. Svetlana Feofanova was on the Russian national gymnastics team (i.e. she was a GREAT gymnast!) as late as 1998.
oldvaulter

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:54 pm

Forget gymnastics and vaulting, if she's PVC-inclined sign her up for trade school where she can learn to be a plumber. You seen how much money those butt-crack-showing guys make?

Postby hammer forever » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:56 pm

Anybody ever watched the documentary "Blue Vinyl", about the cancer deaths in poly vinyl chloride plant workers>
myhouseisyourhouse.org....or bluevinyl.org
hammer forever