Collective letter to Runner's World

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Collective letter to Runner's World

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:15 pm

It's evident that the general concensus among T&FN readers seems to be that Runner's World magazine sucks. I propose that we write a collective letter to RW editor Amby Burfoot condemning their awful magazine and demanding that they change the name of the publication to "Jogger's World." I'll write the first paragraph:

Dear Mr. Burfoot,

Your magazine sucks. You write about running as if it were not a real sport, but rather a contest to see who can finish a 5K with the biggest love handles.

C'mon, who's with me? Submit your suggestions and subsequent paragraphs!

Re: Collective letter to Runner's World

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:24 pm

Then why do they have such a big circulation? They don't write to track fans. They write for joggers (runner wannabes, but they can't break 24 for a 5K.) Leave them alone. They are fine for what they want to be.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:33 pm

OK if you're a Jogger's World fan, then start a seperate thread to write your own letter praising their joggerhood! They might be the greatest bunch of plodders who ever ran a six hour marathon, but they have no right to associate themselves with real athletics!

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:54 pm

If you don't like RW, then don't subscribe to it and don't read it.
polevaultpower

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:28 pm

>It's evident that the general concensus among
>T&FN readers seems to be that Runner's World
>magazine sucks. I propose that we write a
>collective letter to RW editor Amby Burfoot
>condemning their awful magazine and demanding
>that they change the name of the publication to
>"Jogger's World.">

I think Good Housekeeping sucks. I find it less of a strain to completely ignore the magazine than to write a letter to the editor telling he/she how much I hate it. If you don't like it DON'T BUY IT OR READ IT!

jd

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:40 pm

Runners World is a magazine aimed at the casual jogger. It is basically a fitness magazine.
Track and Field news is basically designed for people who are either serious or make a living in Track and Field. It is basically a trade magazine for Track and Field in this country.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:42 pm

Don't like it, don't look at it.
But I do like pickin' on runners.ha ha

Postby blacklily » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:39 pm

>Runners World is a magazine aimed at the casual
>jogger. It is basically a fitness
>magazine. Track and Field news is basically
>designed for people who are either serious or
>make a living in Track and Field. It is
>basically a trade magazine for Track and Field in
>this country.

Spot on re: the difference between the two magazines. I suspect most Runners World readers don't even consider themselves athletes, but rather run to stay in shape.

I don't read Runners World, as it focuses on distance. However, why all the elitist fuss about RW on this board? Aren't their readers the same individuals whom distance athletes want to watch them at meets? The same individuals whom these athletes want to buy their sponsor's products? The same individuals whose entry fees help pay for America's relatively lucrative marathon & 5K circuit? Who cares if they're running a six-hour marathon or not running a 5K like Adere. Does the average guy playing football in your local park play like Emmitt Smith? Average guy in a pickup basketball game play like Shaq? No. Rather than dump on the casual runner, with America's ridiculous obesity rates be glad they're even out there. The strategy should be to get them excited about track & field as a sport, not marginalize them.
blacklily

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:05 pm

I DON'T GET IT! A few weeks back there was a thread some 50 posts long in which most of the posters here expressed serious disdain towards that pathetic magazine, and now that somebody wants to take action y'alls testicles are running dry! Come on!

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:14 pm

You're done now. Do you see how much support you got? It has nothing to do with b*lls, we are just not haters like yourself.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:19 pm

I have nothing against people who JOG for fitness... what I have a problem with is a publication that 1) associates this activity with running for SPORT; 2) degrades the sport (and the "fitness activity") by encouring people to embrace the "penguin" mentality to the extent of <i>deliberately sabotaging</i> performance by scarfing down burgers and pizza during a race; and, 3) perpetuates bogus information month after month (new utimate runner's power diet in every issue!) like a FITNESS TABLOID!

Runner's World is an abomination; an insult to everyone who takes running remotely seriously! Somebody has to stand up to these bogus fatass double-chin having JOGGERS who try to increase their circulation by appealing to America's fatass double-chin having masses!

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:21 pm

you're a funny boy.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:23 pm

You're a funny woman!

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:25 pm

you win - I quit

Postby blacklily » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:58 pm

>I have nothing against people who JOG for
>fitness... what I have a problem with is a
>publication that 1) associates this activity with
>running for SPORT; 2) degrades the sport (and the
>"fitness activity") by encouring people to
>embrace the "penguin" mentality to the extent
>of <i>deliberately sabotaging</i> performance by
>scarfing down burgers and pizza during a race;
>and, 3) perpetuates bogus information month after
>month (new utimate runner's power diet in every
>issue!) like a FITNESS TABLOID!

Runner's World
>is an abomination; an insult to everyone who
>takes running remotely seriously! Somebody has
>to stand up to these bogus fatass double-chin
>having JOGGERS who try to increase their
>circulation by appealing to America's fatass
>double-chin having masses!

The casual runners who I see out & about look pretty trim to me. Where are these fatasses? They don't even run. Even if they did in large numbers, better than them not running at all. Would you prefer they swim or take up tennis?

You sound like yet another elitist runner who is jealous that RW is doing well in circulation. Casual running IS associated with running for sport. They are obviously not the same -- elites are obviously at a much higher level -- but there is an association. I'd wager that most hardcore runners started out as casual runners at some point.

The marathon & road race circuit wouldn't even be relatively lucrative for elite runners in the first place, without the casual runners whose registration fees (& the sponsors interested in marketing to them) make up a sizeable portion of these races' prize money! Quit whining. Wouldn't it be more useful to point out its errors rather than bash casual runners & its cottage industry as a whole? Track & field can hardly afford to marginalize a potential fan base, one that USATF & TFN should tap as much as possible.
blacklily

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:11 pm

I agree with the original poster. We should actually set RW headquarters on fire!

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:08 am

hence your name

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:08 am

I never said the comment before yours. This is the danger of open unregistered forums. Anyone can type in someones name.

DearRe: Collective letter to Runner's World

Postby 197hjsteve » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:23 am

Dear " I hate RW ! "

I have one word and name for you, evident by your immature hostility to things that are not very important:

LOSER
197hjsteve

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:12 pm

>I never said the comment before yours. This is
>the danger of open unregistered forums. Anyone
>can type in someones name.>>

Huh? If you want to register as "annoying bastard" you can/should do so; nobody else will then be able to use it.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:17 pm

>Huh? If
>you want to register as "annoying bastard" you
>can/should do so; nobody else will then be able
>to use it.
Except that there are ways around that.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:21 pm

really?

Postby Twister » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:32 pm

I an not into distance running, but I like some of the information on products and gear in RW. I read it at Borders instead of buying it. Now racewalking I don't understand. Well we all can't be happy all the time.
Twister

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:30 pm

Clearly, I haven't felt proprietary enough about the name to register it. I'm not certain, but I think you can tell from the front page if a name is registered or not (only for those who actually start threads). Looks to me like registered names are in a bold face and the non-r's are italics.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:30 pm

...and you're such a WINNER, hjsteve!

Postby 197hjsteve » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:33 pm

As I said before, we're all friends here, after all the BS is put aside. No hard feelings by anyone anytime I hope.
197hjsteve

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:30 pm

Remember: all those annoying non-athlete fatsos buy shoes. RW's non-threatening "you can do it" attitude tries to get more people into the sport, and thus sell more shoes. And without those shoes T&FN is still profiling AMATEUR track & field. Like it or not, RW readers make our sport possible.

I suscribe to it not for any hard news or cutting-edge training advice but as something to help get me up off my butt and out the door. Yes, the writing is often poor and the science is laughable, but they target the "participant" while T&FN profiles the "competitors". I wonder about someone who feels the sport is tarnished just because there are people doing it that aren't terribly serious about it. The old-man basketball leagues I've seen don't make the NBA less meaningful, so why should guys like Rick Majerus running a 5k affect the importance of a GP meet? And don't give me that crap about how it's affected the training patterns of our emerging elite; top athletes in any sport understand how hard you must work, or else they won't be top athletes.

And I've said many times before that RW's Daily News is basically daily news for track & field, cross country, and road running. It's a must-read for track fans.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:48 pm

I am one who posted on the previous thread re: RW magazine and I'll say it again (as has been said by most on this thread) RW in no way down grades or trivializes serious, competitive running. It simply is there for the fitness runner (I don't like the word jog or jogger). T&FN, on the other hand, obviously is about serious, competitive athletes. I lov'em both--at age 58 I run 12-15 miles per week at about 10 minute pace and I am an avid follower of competitive,serious track and field.Both have their place. And I personally think that most RW articles are well written and informative and FUN--especially when written by former serious runner, Don Kardong!