Ovett vs Coe movie

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Ovett vs Coe movie

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:52 am

So if Daniel Radcliffle is going to be Coe, according an article on the front, does that mean Fiennes will play Ovett?
Daisy

Re: Ovett vs Coe movie

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:49 am

Early Tom Cruise would have been perfect for Coe. A younger Fiennes actually would be a good Ovett.
Marlow

Postby GDAWG » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 am

Daisy wrote:So if Daniel Radcliffle is going to be Coe, according an article on the front, does that mean Fiennes will play Ovett?

Which Fiennes?
GDAWG

Postby bambam » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:40 am

How exactly is this in Current Events? Are they coming out of retirement?
bambam

Postby Daisy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:56 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Daisy wrote:So if Daniel Radcliffle is going to be Coe, according an article on the front, does that mean Fiennes will play Ovett?

Which Fiennes?

Also know as Ralph Voldemort
Daisy

Postby BillVol » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Trying to think back to the early '80s. Wasn't Ovett looked at as the bad guy and Coe the good guy? Maybe it was just the way I saw them. Coe had such a wholesome look about him and Ovett not quite so. They got a ton of attention back then. Seems like we had more coverage of track back then, not counting the internet.
BillVol

Postby liuxuan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:28 pm

my dad days that ovett was more of a working class hero, while coe was more to middle class taste!

makes sense considering seb went onto become a Tory MP, not his best feature I have to say!
liuxuan

Postby JumboElliott » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Hasn't there already been a movie about two gold medal winning British runners?
JumboElliott

Postby Jack Lovelock » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:25 pm

There has, and it was tremendous. Despite the excellence of the source material (Pat Butcher's "The Perfect Distance") I fear this one may not be quite as good. I just hope it doesn't play to all the class stereotypes.

On the subject of Ralph Fiennes, I think he'd be a superb Peter Coe! You heard it here first...
Jack Lovelock

Postby Rog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:38 am

The young Sebastian Coe looked a bit like Kenneth Williams. Pity he's not around to take the part! Maybe Sid James for Steve Ovett? :D
Rog

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:37 am

How about Eddie Redmayne for Ovett?
JumboElliott

Postby Daisy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:13 am

JumboElliott wrote:How about Eddie Redmayne for Ovett?

Or Skandar Keynes?
Daisy

Postby Rog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:19 am

Did anyone see the recent BBC documentary about the 80 Olympics? It featured Coe and Ovett quite prominently. Nauseating stuff - very much seen from Coe's perspective, loses the 800 but shows divine strength of character to come back and win the 1500 (cue swelling music).

I'm old enough to remember the 80 Olympics. I can see through the hype. Neither Coe nor Ovett were among the stars of those games in terms of performance. We didn't see the best of either. No amount of droning from Brendan Foster or whoever is going to convince me otherwise.
Rog

Postby Master Po » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:14 am

Jack Lovelock wrote: ... Despite the excellence of the source material (Pat Butcher's "The Perfect Distance") I fear this one may not be quite as good. I just hope it doesn't play to all the class stereotypes.

I share your perspective, yet want to add one comment on the "class stereotypes" problem for this movie. That is: As I remember pretty much all of the coverage I encountered around Coe & Ovett in their competitive heydays, it seems that all the class stereotypes were being played up all the time in the coverage, even then. Again, this is the coverage as I encountered it. Others' results might have varied. But that framework's long presence in this narrative does, to me at least, make the "class stereotypes" problem likely to be unavoidable in the way a film version is likely to be framed. It just seems really "written into" the story, for a long time already. Maybe I'm just trying to get my expectations in place prior to eventually experiencing the movie. :)
Master Po

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:51 am

Rog wrote:Did anyone see the recent BBC documentary about the 80 Olympics? It featured Coe and Ovett quite prominently. Nauseating stuff - very much seen from Coe's perspective, loses the 800 but shows divine strength of character to come back and win the 1500 (cue swelling music).

I'm old enough to remember the 80 Olympics. I can see through the hype. Neither Coe nor Ovett were among the stars of those games in terms of performance. We didn't see the best of either. No amount of droning from Brendan Foster or whoever is going to convince me otherwise.

Also the fact that the 1980 Olympics was a massive farce.
JumboElliott

Postby berkeley » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:58 am

Rog wrote:Did anyone see the recent BBC documentary about the 80 Olympics? It featured Coe and Ovett quite prominently. Nauseating stuff - very much seen from Coe's perspective, loses the 800 but shows divine strength of character to come back and win the 1500 (cue swelling music).

Certainly the times were not stellar, but it's tough to claim that the rivalry and the way the 800&1500 played out did not make both of them among the stars of those Games - and I'm speaking as a non-Brit. Times are often slower in major championship middle and long distance races, but they are not that relevant. You wouldn't say that Mo was not among the stars in Moscow this year, because his times were slow. If anything,the sprints and hurdles winners in 1980 were forgettable, with the US absent.
berkeley

Postby Rog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:58 am

Yes, the times were slow, but it's not like we saw two great races - in the 800, after a slow first half, Nikolai Kirov bolted for home, Steve Ovett followed and kicked past in the home straight. Coe ran badly and was beaten. In the 1500, after a slow first half, Jurgen Straub bolted for home, Seb Coe followed and kicked past in the home straight. Ovett ran badly and was beaten.

We didn't see someone putting themselves on the line and setting off at world record pace and daring the opposition to follow. We didn't see the likes of Bayi v Walker in 74, or Cram v Aouita in 85 - two athletes duelling down the straight with the world record in sight. We saw two athletes who, each given two opportunities to win gold, only seized one of them. The other they squandered. Their races were more about mental paralysis than athletic achievement.

It's not that I'm anti-Coe and Ovett, but surely it's better to give praise where it's due. Ovett in Moscow wasn't as impressive as he was in Dusseldorf 77 or Prague 78, where he totally dominated the opposition over 1500. Coe was more impressive in 84, coming back from losing to the unbeatable Cruz over 800 to win the 1500 with an even greater kick (although his behaviour when he crossed the line was at best unfortunate).

I have a feeling I know how this movie is going to pan out even before it's been made. It's going to be the cliché that runs and runs :wink:
Rog

Postby kuha » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:25 pm

For what it's worth, I basically agree with the above. As we know, Coe and Ovett worked hard at NOT racing each other whenever they could avoid it. And, in the Olympic showdowns, no single race had both of them at their best. So from the standpoint of a "thrilling narrative," it all seems a bit anti-climactic...
kuha

Postby lonewolf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:12 pm

That is my recollection also... Ovett was always portrayed as the "blue collar" guy and, whether contrived or not, they kinda ducked each other.
lonewolf

Postby Daisy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:57 pm

How much of the ducking was actually due to the promoters? I could see someone like Andy Norman arranging for them to duck forever to keep their 'price' high.
Daisy

Postby berkeley » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Rog wrote:Yes, the times were slow, but it's not like we saw two great races - in the 800, after a slow first half, Nikolai Kirov bolted for home, Steve Ovett followed and kicked past in the home straight. Coe ran badly and was beaten. In the 1500, after a slow first half, Jurgen Straub bolted for home, Seb Coe followed and kicked past in the home straight. Ovett ran badly and was beaten.

We didn't see someone putting themselves on the line and setting off at world record pace and daring the opposition to follow. We didn't see the likes of Bayi v Walker in 74, or Cram v Aouita in 85 - two athletes duelling down the straight with the world record in sight. We saw two athletes who, each given two opportunities to win gold, only seized one of them. The other they squandered. Their races were more about mental paralysis than athletic achievement.

It's not that I'm anti-Coe and Ovett, but surely it's better to give praise where it's due. Ovett in Moscow wasn't as impressive as he was in Dusseldorf 77 or Prague 78, where he totally dominated the opposition over 1500. Coe was more impressive in 84, coming back from losing to the unbeatable Cruz over 800 to win the 1500 with an even greater kick (although his behaviour when he crossed the line was at best unfortunate).

I have a feeling I know how this movie is going to pan out even before it's been made. It's going to be the cliché that runs and runs :wink:

Frankly I thought the 1500 was a riveting race, though thanks to Straub and not the principals. Of course the quality of the performances were not up to, for example, Ovett in Dusseldorf '77 (when he "tore the field asunder"). Still, I was much more interested in the struggle (much of it psychological) than I was in, say, El Gerrouj's win in 1999, where there was never any doubt as to the result and the rest of the field simply tottered helplessly home in his wake.
My point is, even discounting British press hype, the 800/1500 in 1980 were fascinating and the protagonists were huge stars of those Games. Track movies often disappoint, but I'll definitely watch this one.
berkeley

Postby deanouk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 am

Yes, the times were slow, but it's not like we saw two great races - in the 800, after a slow first half, Nikolai Kirov bolted for home, Steve Ovett followed and kicked past in the home straight. Coe ran badly and was beaten. In the 1500, after a slow first half, Jurgen Straub bolted for home, Seb Coe followed and kicked past in the home straight. Ovett ran badly and was beaten.

Have to say I disagree. The Moscow finals were probably the 2 most talked about races of the games, both before and after. They were pure sporting theatre.
Coe ran a tactically dreadful race in the 800, but he didn't "run" badly. He was the fastest finisher of everyone, closing the last 200 in 24.9 and running most of the last curve in lane 2. If he'd been on Ovett's shoulder at 600m then yes it would have been much more dramatic in the home straight, and to that extent it was a bit of an anti-climax.

As for the 1500m, I believe it was one of the best races in Olympic history. The idea that Ovett ran a bad race is nonsense. Unlike Coe in the 800, who ran badly tactically, Ovett was always in a good position throughout the final of the 1500 and ran exactly as he did in all his other races. The only difference is that whereas he normally exploded with 200 to go in races where the rest of the field just waited for him to go, in Moscow he had that kick blunted by Straub going with 700 to go. Ovett actually ran the last 100m in Moscow in 12.6, faster than his last 100m in the 800 final, faster than the final 100 in Prague 78 or Dusseldorf 77. His last lap in Moscow was 52.5, some 2 secs faster than in Dusselldorf and faster also than Prague. He was actually better in Moscow, but was made to look less dominant because he had Coe (and Straub) in the field ahead of him.
Coe's last 100m in Moscow was 12.1, the fastest last 100m in any major championship ever. So how that can not be seen as a great race or lacking in athletic achievement I don't know.
deanouk

Postby deanouk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:44 am

The reason why the recent BBC documentary about Moscow appears to praise Coe more than Ovett, is because Ovett steadfastly refuses to help, advise or answer any questions about the event. He refuses to get involved in the upcoming film as well. If someone is not prepared to give their account or point of view, then it gives the film maker a lot less to go on, and of course that will be reflected in the end result.

The whole thing about class is rubbish and was created by the press at the time to make it sound like some Vaudevillian play. They seem to think back then that if you went to University then you must be middle class! In actual fact it was Coe who went to a secondary modern comprehensive and Ovett who went to Grammar school.

Coe also supported grass root athletics by competing in his county championships and running for his club and university far more often than Ovett; who was able to pick and choose his races far more readily, having Andy Norman as his confidente & agent; ever did.

Ovett was a full time athlete from the mid 70's, while Coe was never a full-time athlete apart from 1980. At all other times he was either a full time student or working for the Sports Council and other bodies.

So this whole idea of Ovett having to work for everything and Coe having everything handed to him on a plate is utter rubbish.
deanouk

Postby kuha » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:40 am

deanouk wrote:The reason why the recent BBC documentary about Moscow appears to praise Coe more than Ovett, is because Ovett steadfastly refuses to help, advise or answer any questions about the event.

And this goes way back. The only significant figure missing from the great 1994 "Bannister dinner" in London was Ovett. I admire him tremendously, but honestly don't understand this "screw you" attitude toward the larger sport.
kuha

Postby gh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:33 am

I've talked to Ovett twice. Well, the first time wasn't much of a talk. He showed up at the '79 NCAA in Champaign (courtesy Nike, probably) and a mutual friend in England had said I should tell him hi. I introduced myself and said that so-and-so said I should say hi, and he in so many words told me to piss off.

But then we then ended up at the same dinner table at a World Cup function in Madrid in '01 and I've rarely enjoyed anybody's company so much. Much laughing and joking and telling of tales out of class.

I figured all those years in Oz had worked wonders in the geniality department.
gh

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Has Coe always been affable?
JumboElliott

Postby gh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:46 pm

My first meeting w/ Seb was a delight. Leaving the Rome airport after the '81 World Cup was one of the great zoos of all time. Finally got through the line for a flite to London with only minutes to spare, as did Seb from the kiosk next to me. We both broke into a run (because there was serious doubt if we'd get to the gate in time) and while huffing & puffing—me, not him—i introduced myself, and we had a delightful conversation all the way to the gate.

On the plane (it was a BA flite), he spent the entire 2 hours or so signing autographs for literally everybody on the plane and never lost his smile or cheery demeanor.

I've still never figured out why he didn't make it in politics. From that moment on I had him tagged as future PM.

(oh, I guess his POLITICS just might have had something to do with it :mrgreen: )
gh

Postby Daisy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:12 pm

JumboElliott wrote:Has Coe always been affable?

My sister sent him a letter addressed to Seb Coe, Sheffield. I guess the post office knew his address and about two weeks after that she got a signed picture in return.
Daisy

Postby Rog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:35 am

Deano, I can see you're a huge Coe fan, and no-one is going to persuade you differently regarding anything to do with him, so if you don't agree with the following, just ignore it.

In the case of Moscow 80, there was a huge amount of hype about the clash between Coe and Ovett both beforehand, and after, but this was mainly from the British press about two British athletes. When Ovett won the 800 in 1:45 I don't think it compared too favourably against Oliszaryenko's bold front running to win the women's race in 1:53. Similarly, Coe won the 1500 with a fast last 700, but that was because he just stuck to Straub and kicked past in the home straight. In the women's equivalent, Kazankina ran a fast last 700 too (comparatively faster, at that - I think she ran 1:59 for her last 800) but in her case it was because she went to the front 600 out and made a bold move herself. Despite a slow first half, she finished in a time that was at that point the third fastest time ever.

My point is that unless one is an insulated, chauvinistic Brit, one has to conclude that the men's middle distance events in Moscow 80 were overshadowed by the women's. Then, when you consider the great performances in other events by the likes of Kozakiewicz, Wessig and Sedykh, and Yifter's double, not to mention the many great performances in the women's events, then it's hard to see how one can draw the conclusion that Coe and Ovett were stars of the games - unless one is an insular, chauvinistic Brit.

I still stick to my point about Coe and Ovett running badly in their main events. Coe's 800 tactics were just stupid. Personally my favourite performance of his in a championship was the 800 in Prague 78, as it was the only time when a title was at stake that he committed himself from the start. We know it failed, but it was a glorious failure. If it had worked, then he might have had more confidence to adopt this approach in the 800 in Moscow as he surely would have burned off the opposition - like Oliszaryenko did. Ovett should have been able to beat Coe in the 1500, but as Steve Cram has recounted, Ovett seemed beaten psychologically before the race. In his peak Ovett kicked with 200 to go, not 100, and at his best I think he would have done this in Moscow to take gold. In fact I think he ran the penultimate 100 in both Prague and Dusseldorf in under 12 seconds, the just strode through the line - if he had done this in Moscow he would surely have won.
Rog

Postby deanouk » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:35 am

Strange then that Coe appeared on the front of the following month's "Sports Illustrated" magazine, which I believe is an American publication and has nothing to do with insulated chauvinistic Brits!

Ovett's penultimate 100 in Dusseldorf was 12.0 (although his coach, Harry Wilson said he hand timed it at 11.9); and came off a previous 200m of only 29.2, and a last 800m in a pedestrian 1:54.3, so it's hardly surprising. In Moscow the last 800 was 1:48.5, some 6 secs faster, and the penultimate 200 was 2 secs faster than Dusseldorf at 27.2. Completely different races. He was unable to put in a 12.0 penultimate 100 round the bend because he had his kick run out of him.

Ovett's penultimate 100 in Prague was 12.2, not sub 12, and the 200 stretch before that was 27.6, again slower than the corresponding stretch in Moscow. His last 700m was 1:37.5, compared to 1:33.2 in Moscow.

Ovett was great when no one stretched the field and went for home more than 400 out, as he was able to kick at 200m off a reasonable pace and pull away from the rest of the field. Up to Moscow the opposition always played into his hands. And Cram showed again that you could run the sting out of his legs by going from the bell in 83, thus neutralising his acceleration with 200 to go.

And if the pace hadn't picked up 700 out in Moscow there is little evidence to show Ovett would have pulled away from Coe with 200 to go, unless Coe was boxed in or ran a tactically disatrous race again, and it was clear from the opening 100 of the 1500 that Coe wasn't going to do that; always staying on the leader's shoulder. Coe's acceleration with 200 to go was (at least) just as good as Ovett's; his penultimate 100 in the 800m final there was 12.3, and that was running in lane 2. That IS worth sub 12 with a clear run in lane 1.

As for Olizarenko and Kazankina, of course their overall times were vastly superior to what the men produced; indeed they were vastly superior to practically any women's middle distance race at any chamionship since; and we all know why that was! But that doesn't necessarily constitute making one the "star" of a Games. Both Farah's times in this year's Worlds were hardly earth shattering, and he employed the same (some would say boring or predictable) "sit and kick" tactics of Coe & Ovett. Yet he was certainly one of the stars of the Championship, as his short-listing for AOY highlights. Unless of course the panel that sit on that one are comprised mainly of insulated, chauvinistic Brits?
deanouk

Postby jmd » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:53 am

I don't think the men middle distances in Moscou 1980 were weak events.

They were tactical races and when it comes to Olympics, tactical
is as interesting than performance, for my humble mind.
Remember Snell, Wottle or Keino, Vasala and Walker, for exemple.

Yes, Coe might have run better on 800, yes Ovett too, might have finished closer
on 1500, but as they were, these two races were exciting !
And the "drama" or the "thrill", related by medias, about those talented runners
gave a lot of interest to our sport, not a bad thing, isn' it ?

I remember that I, for anything on this world, should not have missed the TV retransmissions of the events and leaving my office five minutes before the 800, I must have run almost
as fast as Seb and Steve, this day, to come home !
I've said "almost" !

So, I think I'll go and see this film next year, though I prefer to look at races,
even on youtube, than to mellow romances...
Just wait and see !
jmd

Postby JumboElliott » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:45 am

They were weak events because the 1500 didn't have Walker, Scott, or Wessinghage and the 800 didn't have Paige or Robinson. That's five medal contenders, including a defending Olympic champion who didn't get a chance to compete.
JumboElliott

Postby jmd » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:23 am

Of course you're right, JumboElliott : the 800 and the 1500
would have been even more exciting, with all the talented athletes you quote !

But we don't have to forget that in 79 and 80, Coe and Ovett won the majority of the races
they competed in, against Walker, Scott, Wessinhage, Bayi, etc...
jmd

Postby G.Ahearn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:13 pm

From a puriist/artistic standpoint, (versus making $$) Daniel Radcliffle is a poor choice to play Coe. Doesn't look like him--in face and body. Doesn't look like a runner. A better choice would be some relatively unknown British/Irish actor who actually looks like he could be a world class runner. A great example: Ben Cross and Ian Charleson in Chariots of Fire. Or Michael Crawford in The Games, or Billy Crudup in Without Limits. I suspect DR was selected because he is a "name."
G.Ahearn

Postby deanouk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:02 am

jnd wrote: -
But we don't have to forget that in 79 and 80, Coe and Ovett won the majority of the races
they competed in, against Walker, Scott, Wessinhage, Bayi, etc...

It wasn't just the majority of races. Neither Walker, nor Scott, nor Wessinghage, nor Bayi beat either Coe or Ovett at any time between 1978 and 1983, despite facing them many times.

In any case, Bayi chose to run the 3000SC and I believe I read somewhere that Wessinghage intended running the 5000 in Moscow, for obvious reasons. Looking at the finishing stats of the 1500 in Moscow, I don't believe any of those named above would have been good enough for a medal; Straub obviously run a cut above anything else he ever did, yes, but I think we can safely say that the GDR state had some say in that.

The 800m might have been different. I think if Paige had been in the race, Coe may have worried more about him and not been so "mesmerised" by Ovett's presence, and run a completely different race. I don't think Robinson would have been an issue, he never came remotely close to beating Coe, although he narrowly beat Ovett on the circuit in 79.
And of course, if different athletes were in the final the race may have played out differently! But that can be said of any race, regardless of boycott.
deanouk

Postby Jack Lovelock » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:16 am

Whilst Don Paige was a fast finisher, I don't think that Coe would have been that worried about him. In "Running Free", Coe only identifies James Maina of Kenya as a potential threat in the Olympic 800:

"In the 800 metres, I don't think there is really a serious challenge. No one. James Maina of Kenya might be a medallist if the Kenyans go. He is 1.5 seconds slower on paper, which might not be much physically but , at that sort of pace, it's considerable psychologically."

Paige was over 2 seconds slower than Coe at the time and his defeats of both Ovett and Coe in seperate races over 800m came in one offs, not a championship series. These are chalk and cheese. Paige never really showed that kind of major championship temperament that Ovett and Coe (eventually at 800!) showed again and again. Maina had won the 79 World Cup 800 and was potentially a more credible threat at the time. Equally, the way the race was run, it's certainly possible that Paige might have nicked a medal but with different opponents would have come different tactics. I just wish that Coe had developed the tactic that he had perfected by 1981 of sitting at the front, coasting along not allowing anyone to pass until the detonation of his finishing kick in the home straight. Had he run like that in Moscow, he would have won by some distance. His Europa Cup exploits in 81 (both semi and final) as well as his World Cup 800 win in 81 are textbook examples of tactical championship 800m running, as exemplary in their way of how to WIN as Ovett's 77 World Cup 1500 victory.
Jack Lovelock

Postby deanouk » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:54 am

Yes Jack, I agree with pretty much everything you've said, although Coe's words about the 800 were probably written before the 80 season got going. No doubt Paige would have been picked up on the radar by Peter Coe.
Also I'm pretty sure Paige never beat Ovett. He ran him close (0.12) in a 1000m in 83. It was Robinson I think who beat Ovett in a less important circuit race in 79.

But you're absolutely right about what would have happened had Coe used the same tactics as he did in 81. He used this tactic to good effect too in 82, until he got beaten in the European final when ill. He seemed to stop using it thereafter, which was a shame, as I feel he would have been pretty much unbeatable employing this tactic when in top form. In both LA and Stuttgart he ran so wide and therefore extra distance, in order to stay out of trouble, so giving his opponents an advantage.
deanouk

Postby JumboElliott » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:11 am

Paige ran better in championships than he did in one-off races. In 1979, he won the NCAA 1500m championship in 3:39, then won the 800m 28 minutes later in 1:46. He was in better shape in 1980, when he ran the world leading 800 time at the Olympic trials, a championship race.
JumboElliott

Postby no one » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:27 pm

not that it wasn't ... regardless, but adding Paige to the mix (1980) would have made for a very intriguing race.
no one

Postby Rog » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:11 am

deanouk wrote:Yes Jack, I agree with pretty much everything you've said, although Coe's words about the 800 were probably written before the 80 season got going. No doubt Paige would have been picked up on the radar by Peter Coe.
Also I'm pretty sure Paige never beat Ovett. He ran him close (0.12) in a 1000m in 83. It was Robinson I think who beat Ovett in a less important circuit race in 79.

But you're absolutely right about what would have happened had Coe used the same tactics as he did in 81. He used this tactic to good effect too in 82, until he got beaten in the European final when ill. He seemed to stop using it thereafter, which was a shame, as I feel he would have been pretty much unbeatable employing this tactic when in top form. In both LA and Stuttgart he ran so wide and therefore extra distance, in order to stay out of trouble, so giving his opponents an advantage.

I don't think Coe, even in his prime, could have beaten Cruz in the 84 OG. Coe's best two runs were solo world record attempts - Cruz ran his best time, only 4/100ths of a second slower than Coe's, in an actual race, in one of a series of very fast 800 races, that at the time they were run (84) represented the summit of sustained achievement over 800m. Apart from Steve Cram's 800 win in the 86 Commonwealth Games I don't think there's been an 800 runner to equal (or surpass) the 84 model Cruz other than Rudisha.
Rog

Next