2013 NFL (American Pro Football)

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: 2013 NFL (American Pro Football)

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:06 am

Dixon wrote:Peyton was treated wrong and the Colts did make a mistake by going that low and he will make them pay.

Are you saying that the Colts should have passed on Luck to avoid hurting Manning's feelings? :?
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:Peyton was treated wrong and the Colts did make a mistake by going that low and he will make them pay.

Are you saying that the Colts should have passed on Luck to avoid hurting Manning's feelings? :?

Come on man :roll:

I'm saying ya draft Luck then let him do his Aaron Rodgers impersonation for awhile. Waiting didn't hurt him any.

Manning was totally disrespected and it was wrong
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Dixon wrote:I'm saying ya draft Luck then let him do his Aaron Rodgers impersonation for awhile. Waiting didn't hurt him any.

Did you miss the part where I said that Indianapolis wasn't big enough for the both of them? Did you hear the things that was coming out of Archie Manning's mouth prior to the draft? An "Aaron Rodgers impersonation" was never an option for Luck.
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Favre-Rodgers situation turned out not too pretty either. There was also one huge difference. The Colts had a first pick, you rarely get a chance to draft a "franchise" QB. Rodgers fell in Packers lap at the end of the first round.
Pego

Postby Dixon » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:23 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:I'm saying ya draft Luck then let him do his Aaron Rodgers impersonation for awhile. Waiting didn't hurt him any.

Did you miss the part where I said that Indianapolis wasn't big enough for the both of them? Did you hear the things that was coming out of Archie Manning's mouth prior to the draft? An "Aaron Rodgers impersonation" was never an option for Luck.

Since when did college kids have any say in where they go or what role they play once there? What young QB wouldn't want a year or two learning from Peyton Manning? Who cares what Archie Manning was saying?
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:57 am

Dixon wrote:Since when did college kids have any say in where they go or what role they play once there?

Since 1983 when John Elway came out of college.
Dixon wrote:What young QB wouldn't want a year or two learning from Peyton Manning?

Luck didn't and the Mannings said that they didn't blame him.
Dixon wrote:Who cares what Archie Manning was saying?

Obviously the Colts did since he was speaking for his son.
jazzcyclist

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:07 am

The Colts choices were to pay Manning a lot of money coming off neck surgery and play him or draft Andrew Luck unless they wanted to invest at least $40 mil into the QB position with a lot of that money "learning".

How much "learning" occurs when a QB...as Manning is reported to do....takes virtually every snap in practice? Those ideas are clearly from days gone by anyway. I think Manning is fantastic but nobody did anything wrong to Peyton Manning other than Irsay's recent idiotic comments.
Dutra5

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:31 am

[quote="Dixon]Since when did college kids have any say in where they go or what role they play once there? [/quote]

Eli Manning refused to play for San Diego (when drafted) and orchestrated a trade to NY.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby gh » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:46 am

John Elway was drafted #1 by Indy, but said he'd go play for the Yankees rather than take that job, so he was traded to Denver as part of draft-day machinations.
gh

Postby user4 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 am

And of course Jim Kelly was drafted by Buffalo after a relatively mild 20 below zero winter. Kelly decided to stay in the south until the offer was too good to refuse.
user4

Postby user4 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:58 am

Dutra5 wrote:The Colts choices were to pay Manning a lot of money coming off neck surgery and play him or draft Andrew Luck unless they wanted to invest at least $40 mil into the QB position with a lot of that money "learning".

How much "learning" occurs when a QB...as Manning is reported to do....takes virtually every snap in practice? Those ideas are clearly from days gone by anyway. I think Manning is fantastic but nobody did anything wrong to Peyton Manning other than Irsay's recent idiotic comments.

^^^ that is right !
user4

Postby Dixon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:12 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:Since when did college kids have any say in where they go or what role they play once there?

Since 1983 when John Elway came out of college.
Dixon wrote:What young QB wouldn't want a year or two learning from Peyton Manning?

Luck didn't and the Mannings said that they didn't blame him.
Dixon wrote:Who cares what Archie Manning was saying?

Obviously the Colts did since he was speaking for his son.

You misunderstooed me, I was obviously talking about picking what team a player wants to play for. I assumed it was also obvious everyone knew about Elway and Eli. You really thought I wasn't aware of those sitiations?
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:03 am

Dixon wrote:You misunderstooed me, I was obviously talking about picking what team a player wants to play for. I assumed it was also obvious everyone knew about Elway and Eli. You really thought I wasn't aware of those sitiations?

Evidently, I still misunderstand you. Both Elway and Eli dictated what teams they were going to play for. Peyton made it known that he didn't want the Colts to draft Luck, and if they did, he wanted off the team, rather than get caught up in a Montana/Young type drama. As I said earlier, Indianapolis was not big enough for Peyton and Luck.
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:08 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:You misunderstooed me, I was obviously talking about picking what team a player wants to play for. I assumed it was also obvious everyone knew about Elway and Eli. You really thought I wasn't aware of those sitiations?

Evidently, I still misunderstand you. Both Elway and Eli dictated what teams they were going to play for. Peyton made it known that he didn't want the Colts to draft Luck, and if they did, he wanted off the team, rather than get caught up in a Montana/Young type drama. As I said earlier, Indianapolis was not big enough for Peyton and Luck.

So you really believe that these players can play for whatever team they want to play for....right? Aaron Rodgers wanted to be a Niner, what happened?

Trust me if the powers that be wanted Manning tutoring Luck that's what would have happened. Yes they didn't want that drama.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:35 am

Dixon wrote:So you really believe that these players can play for whatever team they want to play for....right?

No, I'm saying the stars can dictate what teams they WON'T play for. Elway didn't dictate that he would play for the Broncos, he dictated that he wouldn't play for the Colts. Eli didn't dictate that he would play for the Giants, but Archie saw to it that he wouldn't play for the Chargers. If the Colts had drafted Luck, there's no way Manning would have ever suited up in a Colts uniform again unless they traded Luck.
Dixon wrote:Aaron Rodgers wanted to be a Niner, what happened?

Do you think Rodgers had the same leverage as Elway and Eli when he came out of college? Look at where these three of these players were drafted and you'll have your answer.

Dixon wrote:Trust me if the powers that be wanted Manning tutoring Luck that's what would have happened.

Unfortunately, I been reading your posts long enough to know that it's usually a mistake to trust you on matters of judgement. If you were telling me who the third leg was on USC's 1968 4x100 relay team, I would take your word as gospel, but that's a matter of fact, not judgement.
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:40 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:So you really believe that these players can play for whatever team they want to play for....right?

No, I'm saying the stars can dictate what teams they WON'T play for. Elway didn't dictate that he would play for the Broncos, he dictated that he wouldn't play for the Colts. Eli didn't dictate that he would play for the Giants, but Archie saw to it that he wouldn't play for the Chargers. If the Colts had drafted Luck, there's no way Manning would have ever suited up in a Colts uniform again unless they traded Luck.
Dixon wrote:Aaron Rodgers wanted to be a Niner, what happened?

Do you think Rodgers had the same leverage as Elway and Eli when he came out of college? Look at where these three of these players were drafted and you'll have your answer.

Dixon wrote:Trust me if the powers that be wanted Manning tutoring Luck that's what would have happened.

Unfortunately, I been reading your posts long enough to know that it's usually a mistake to trust you on matters of judgement. If you were telling me who the third leg was on USC's 1968 4x100 relay team, I would take your word as gospel, but that's a matter of fact, not judgement.

You care to give an example of my faulty judgement, would love to see this.

While they can not play at all the idea that they can go where they want, nay!!!
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:56 am

Dixon wrote:You care to give an example of my faulty judgement, would love to see this.

I've given you an example.
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:27 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:You care to give an example of my faulty judgement, would love to see this.

No not really. Why you would think so...???
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 am

Dixon wrote:No not really. Why you would think so...???

You're the only person that I know of who not only thinks that it would have been possible for the Colts to keep Manning and Luck on their roster at the same time, but who also believes that it would have made good football sense to do so.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:52 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

And we don't have to go back to the GUARANTEE of a Patriots Super Bowl win, do we? :wink:
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:55 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:No not really. Why you would think so...???

You're the only person that I know of who not only thinks that it would have been possible for the Colts to keep Manning and Luck on their roster at the same time, but who also believes that it would have made good football sense to do so.

Where did I say it made good football sense? It would have totally sucked for everyone involved. I'm talking about what owners/honchos can do if they want, the power over the player is what I'm talking about. That wasn't obvious?

Obviously even under that adverse situation Luck would have learned from Manning just by watching him play.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

And we don't have to go back to the GUARANTEE of a Patriots Super Bowl win, do we? :wink:

One play away 8-)
Dixon

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:22 pm

As a Detroit Lions fan, I cannot determine which is a stranger feeling...
a) my team being in contention for the division title, or
b) my team winning tight games (like Sunday's shocker), or
c) getting the Lion's share of media attention this week

It's like I wandered into being a Packers or Patriots fan.
Mighty Favog

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Dixon wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:You're the only person that I know of who not only thinks that it would have been possible for the Colts to keep Manning and Luck on their roster at the same time, but who also believes that it would have made good football sense to do so.
Where did I say it made good football sense?

Well, let's see . . . . .

Dixon wrote:Peyton will show Indy they made a big mistake.

I guess Peyton really showed them, didn't he?

Dixon wrote:You don't treat a player on the level of a Peyton Manning like they did, you disagree?

This comment sure sounds like someone who thinks the Colts should have kept Manning.

:lol:

I wonder where I got the silly idea from that you thought it made good football sense to draft Luck and keep Manning. :?

I'm sorry Dixon. I guess I had you all wrong. :roll:
jazzcyclist

Postby Dixon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:54 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dixon wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:You're the only person that I know of who not only thinks that it would have been possible for the Colts to keep Manning and Luck on their roster at the same time, but who also believes that it would have made good football sense to do so.
Where did I say it made good football sense?

Well, let's see . . . . .

Dixon wrote:Peyton will show Indy they made a big mistake.

I guess Peyton really showed them, didn't he?

Dixon wrote:You don't treat a player on the level of a Peyton Manning like they did, you disagree?

This comment sure sounds like someone who thinks the Colts should have kept Manning.

:lol:

I wonder where I got the silly idea from that you thought it made good football sense to draft Luck and keep Manning. :?

I'm sorry Dixon. I guess I had you all wrong. :roll:

Jazz you work way too hard at trying to prove me/everyone wrong...why?

Anyway...

Where did I say anything about good football sense? I was talking about showing respect for a great player. And regardless of the situation any young QB will learn things being around a future HOFer.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:02 am

I look for the Chiefs to finally lose a game this week. They are heading into a bye and are on the road vs a team coming of a loss now at home in dire need of a win (Bills).

Sure the Chiefs are the better team, this is about the "spot" they are in.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:42 am

Dixon wrote:Jazz you work way too hard at trying to prove me/everyone wrong...why?

Anyway...

Actually, I don't have to work very hard at all to prove you wrong. I didn't even have to use the search function in this instance, all I had to do is look back on the previous page of this same thread.

Dixon wrote:Where did I say anything about good football sense? I was talking about showing respect for a great player..

And now that you've been proven wrong, you're resorting to parsing and silly arguments over semantics. Whether you actually used the phrase "good football sense" is besides the point. It's obvious to anyone who read your posts that you believed that the Colts erred by not keeping Manning and drafting Luck and keeping them both on the roster.

Dixon wrote:And regardless of the situation any young QB will learn things being around a future HOFer.

FYI, Aaron Rodgers says that Brett Favre made a point not to teach him a damn thing, and whatever he learned he had to learn on his own.
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:48 am

jazzcyclist wrote:FYI, Aaron Rodgers says that Brett Favre made a point not to teach him a damn thing, and whatever he learned he had to learn on his own.

After the Packers drafted Rodgers, there was an interview with Favre. He was asked if he is going to tutor his young teammate. His dour response was (paraphrased, it has been some time ago), "Why would I do that? That is what coaches are for." A total jerk.
Pego

Postby gh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:49 am

time for Dixon & Jazz to take their pissing match offline.
gh

Postby Dixon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:32 am

I'm not having one of my better $$$$$$$$$$$ years. Currently at 16-11 playing three games a week.

How does a 0-8 Tampa Bay Bucs team take a solid Seahawks team into OT?

There were a half dozen solid trends favoring the Ravens, what happened?

One of the stranger NFL ATS seasons so far.
Dixon

Postby Pego » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:07 am

Dixon wrote:I'm not having one of my better $$$$$$$$$$$ years. Currently at 16-11 playing three games a week.

Totally unpredictable this year. I am doing pisspoor in our confidence pool, yet I am beating CBS Sportsline "expert" panel by a considerable margin.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:59 am

Pego wrote:Totally unpredictable this year. I am doing pisspoor in our confidence pool, yet I am beating CBS Sportsline "expert" panel by a considerable margin.

Back in the day (1978-1981 - my 'foolish years', as I now refer to them, well, now that I think about it, my whole life may be included in that), I was in a serious 10-man office pool - $20 buy-in every week, so some semi-serious cash at stake every week. It was simply to pick every NFL game win'lose (not spreads), Monday night score being the tie-breaker. It usually took (I forget how many teams were playing back then) something like a 12-4 record to win. I was DEEPLY into it, and came out slightly ahead at the end, but I certainly remember weeks going 7-9, despite all the 'expertise' I consulted. This year seems even more random.
Marlow

Postby Dixon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Pego wrote:
Dixon wrote:I'm not having one of my better $$$$$$$$$$$ years. Currently at 16-11 playing three games a week.

Totally unpredictable this year. I am doing pisspoor in our confidence pool, yet I am beating CBS Sportsline "expert" panel by a considerable margin.

I average 10-6 playing straight ups picks, pretty much have that figured out, it's the ATS aspect that has really been weird this season so many strong trends coming to an end. So many fundamentals simply not holding up.

I'll post my three plays (and the why) here, let me know whatcha think.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:Totally unpredictable this year. I am doing pisspoor in our confidence pool, yet I am beating CBS Sportsline "expert" panel by a considerable margin.

Back in the day (1978-1981 - my 'foolish years', as I now refer to them, well, now that I think about it, my whole life may be included in that), I was in a serious 10-man office pool - $20 buy-in every week, so some semi-serious cash at stake every week. It was simply to pick every NFL game win'lose (not spreads), Monday night score being the tie-breaker. It usually took (I forget how many teams were playing back then) something like a 12-4 record to win. I was DEEPLY into it, and came out slightly ahead at the end, but I certainly remember weeks going 7-9, despite all the 'expertise' I consulted. This year seems even more random.

Every week there will be 4/5 obvious winners...Patriots vs Jags...type games. So you obviously go with the favorite. All the other games ya go with the home team. If we have two stud teams, go with the home team. Home/road is...huge!!! All you can hope to do is win 10-12, which that method will produce. Sure there will be that 7-9 week no matter what you do but it's all about that average since most pools pay off the overall winner.
Dixon

Postby gh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:03 am

An surprisingly tough pool to play is "pick a winner."

You only need make one pick a week, and there's no spread involved. If your team wins in week 1, you're still playing; if not, your buy-in is forfeited and you're out of the game.

Repeat in each successive week… but you can't pick the same team twice. Takes very few weeks to declare the winner, and then you start over with new buy-in.

I remember one year, even with about a dozen people playing, we were in our third sequence when the season ended.
gh

Postby Dixon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:04 am

gh wrote:An surprisingly tough pool to play is "pick a winner."

You only need make one pick a week, and there's no spread involved. If your team wins in week 1, you're still playing; if not, your buy-in is forfeited and you're out of the game.

Repeat in each successive week… but you can't pick the same team twice. Takes very few weeks to declare the winner, and then you start over with new buy-in.

I remember one year, even with about a dozen people playing, we were in our third sequence when the season ended.

That would be tough.

Most people simply don't do the homework it takes to be good at picking these games. Things like..coming off a bye/heading into a bye, second road game. second home game are ignored. I look at ..spots...these teams are in. East coast teams flying out west and vice versa. All that stuff matters and has to be taken into consideration.

Lets try week 10 straight up.

Arizona at home coming off a bye over a reeling Houston team

Seattle too much for a 2-7 Falcons team

Pitt has covered seven in a row vs Buffalo, while this isn't about that...Steelers!

Niners at home coming off a bye will take down Carolina.

Lions vs Bear....hmmm?....Bears with a short week, Lions coming off a bye....Lions.

Baltimore has to have this one, Cinncy is banged up....Ravens!

Saints coming off a loss now at home vs a Dallas team that rarely wins two in a row...Saints.

Denver coming off a bye week ..in...Charger country, this could be the upset, but...Broncos.

Green Bay doesn't lose back to back at home and Philly doesn't win back to back on the road...Packers. They will figure out a way to hide Wallace.

Indy simply on another level than the Rams...Indy!

Tennessee beats the Jags, doesn't everyone?

Miami vs Tampa Bay....with all the stuff going down around these two, Miami I guess.

Washington tonight, Peterson can't do it alone.

Giants over the Raiders.
Last edited by Dixon on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dixon

Postby Dixon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Real $$$ plays

Falcons + 5.5
Saints = 6.0
Ravens + 2
Niners = 6

I've done the homework, all those plays have tons of reasons/stats/trends backing the play, so I am on the right side.
Dixon

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 am

The scene in Philadelphia is absolutely surreal! It's tailor-made for classic prose of someone like Grantland Rice or another wordsmith of his caliber. Hopefully the game will live up the epic scene which I am sure really pleases Ed Rendell. Screw the Chinese! :lol:
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:49 am

jazzcyclist wrote:The scene in Philadelphia is absolutely surreal! It's tailor-made for classic prose of someone like Grantland Rice or another wordsmith of his caliber. Hopefully the game will live up the epic scene which I am sure really pleases Ed Rendell. Screw the Chinese! :lol:

The city of Philadelphia hosted the NFL's first Tuesday night game in 64 years, and Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell couldn't be more upset about it.
"It goes against everything that football is all about," Rendell said.

Talk about a tempest in a teapot - get serious, man!!
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Marlow wrote:Talk about a tempest in a teapot - get serious, man!!

You left out the best part.

"My biggest beef is that this is part of what's happened in this country," Rendell said.

"We've become a nation of wusses. The Chinese are kicking our butt in everything," he added. "If this was in China do you think the Chinese would have called off the game? People would have been marching down to the stadium, they would have walked and they would have been doing calculus on the way down."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jazzcyclist

PreviousNext