Yet another Darwin Award candidate


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 am

Marlow wrote:
DrJay wrote:Winners of the Mixed Doubles Darwin Award.

What state of inebriation allows you to be so impaired that you can make that decision, but not enough so to make coitus physically impossible? I would think one would already have to be unconscious from alcohol poisoning before getting that stupid.

You're probably onto something. It's not like a train can just sneak up on you. They were probgably passed out.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby DrJay » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:23 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
DrJay wrote:And in the Family category:

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2013/09/2 ... ry-borges/


Doesn't he belong in the future candidate thread?


Yes, they're just filling out their entry form right now.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby Daisy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:50 am

How about the NYC motorcyclist who swerved infront of an SUV and then broke hard. Even if you have a grudge with the driver of the SUV, seems like a crazy stunt. The group of bikers then mobbed the SUV and they wonder why the guy panics and drives off. And over some of their group. Regardless of who was in the right and wrong, for pedestrians or bikers to confront someone in a car seems like more than a little fool hardy.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Daisy wrote:How about the NYC motorcyclist who swerved infront of an SUV and then broke hard.

So he braked and then broke? Ewwww. :P
Marlow
 
Posts: 21084
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby Daisy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Marlow wrote:
Daisy wrote:How about the NYC motorcyclist who swerved infront of an SUV and then broke hard.

So he braked and then broke? Ewwww. :P

Clever. I think his friend/s were more broken when the SUV driver panicked, as they surrounded his car, and he fled the scene.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ing-driver
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Another failed attempt to win the Award:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1795 ... rd-victory
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:26 pm

tandfman wrote:Another failed attempt to win the Award:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1795 ... rd-victory

Judging by the time of the fall (not too long), he wasn't very high. Haven't many teenage boys jumped from a cliff into a (deep part of a) lake? I did (no comments on my current eligibility for the award).
Marlow
 
Posts: 21084
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 am

tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:54 am

In order to be a candidate, you have to actually bite the dust. Perhaps he should be included inthe Future Candidate thread.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:00 pm

OK, I guess I should have said "Another failed a attempt to be a candidate for the Award."
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby tandfman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:54 pm

tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby jeremyp » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:14 pm

jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby lonewolf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Hmmmm? What sort of nail does one use on cobblestones?
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby jeremyp » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:42 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/world ... ?ref=world

Hey it could happen.....accidentally.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby br » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:57 am

"Man Catches Fire, Dies While Allegedly Trying to Steal Gas in South L.A."

In this video report, a witnesses describes the sequence of events and says the guy lit up a cigarette as he waited for his tanks to fill. Kablooey!

http://ktla.com/2013/12/10/man-catches- ... south-l-a/
br
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby br » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:05 am

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/d ... otel-snake

Python kills Bali security guard outside five-star hotel

A security guard has been killed by a python near a luxury hotel on Indonesia's resort island of Bali.

The incident happened around 3am on Friday as the 4.5-metre (15ft) python was crossing a road near the Bali Hyatt hotel, said Agung Bawa, an assistant security manager at the hotel, which is closed for renovations until 2015.

The victim, Ambar Arianto Mulyo, a 59-year-old security guard at a nearby restaurant, had offered to help capture the snake, which had been spotted several times before near the hotel, in the Sanur area.

Mulyo managed to secure the snake's head and tail and put it on his shoulders, but the python wrapped itself around his body and strangled him to death, Bawa said.

People watching the incident were unable to help and called the police, who came but failed to save the man. The python escaped into nearby bushes, and police were still searching for it.
br
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby 18.99s » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:01 am

br wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/27/python-kills-bali-security-guard-indonesia-hotel-snake

Python kills Bali security guard outside five-star hotel

A security guard has been killed by a python near a luxury hotel on Indonesia's resort island of Bali.

The incident happened around 3am on Friday as the 4.5-metre (15ft) python was crossing a road near the Bali Hyatt hotel, said Agung Bawa, an assistant security manager at the hotel, which is closed for renovations until 2015.

The victim, Ambar Arianto Mulyo, a 59-year-old security guard at a nearby restaurant, had offered to help capture the snake, which had been spotted several times before near the hotel, in the Sanur area.


It's possible that the guard was told to capture the snake by the restaurant's manager, because it was scaring away customers. A 59-year-old security guard in Indonesia probably doesn't have many options for employment, so he did what he was told.

Another article (http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... bali-hotel) says three other guards were helping him with the snake, which is another indicator that it may have been an order from an employer.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Can animals be nominated for the award?

Two cheetahs at the Smithsonian's National Zoo came across unexpected prey and the result was predictable.

Zoo officials say a white-tailed deer was killed by the cheetahs after it apparently jumped into their enclosure on Friday. A spokeswoman calls it "a normal and expected reaction" by the carnivorous big cats.

The zoo says a zookeeper heard noises from the cheetah pen shortly before noon and found the deer carcass next the cheetah siblings, named Carmelita and Justin.

Doctors will examine the carcass to make sure the deer didn't have any diseases.

No witnesses saw the deer entering the cheetah habitat — other than the cheetahs.

Deer are plentiful in Rock Creek Park, which borders the zoo. The National Park Service has used sharpshooters to control the deer population.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/2 ... 12777.html
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby tandfman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:45 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Zoo officials say a white-tailed deer was killed by the cheetahs after it apparently jumped into their enclosure on Friday. A spokeswoman calls it "a normal and expected reaction" by the carnivorous big cats.

The zoo says a zookeeper heard noises from the cheetah pen shortly before noon and found the deer carcass next the cheetah siblings, named Carmelita and Justin.


You didn't mention that the cheetah's were named after Carmelita Jeter and Justin Gatlin.

The zoo partnered with USA Track & Field in the days leading up to the 2012 Olympic Games and decided to name the brother and sister after the two American runners who placed highest in the 100-meter dash.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... osure.html
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby 18.99s » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Deer can jump into the cheetah enclosure ... are the zookeepers sure the cheetahs can't jump out?
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby tandfman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:25 pm

I'd bet that if they could jump out of that enclosure, they would have done it long ago.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:07 pm

It was the life he chose.

A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died -- of a snakebite.

Jamie Coots died Saturday evening after refusing to be treated, Middlesboro police said.

On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. The practice is illegal in most states, but still goes on, primarily in the rural South.

Coots was a third-generation "serpent handler" and aspired to one day pass the practice and his church, Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name, on to his adult son, Little Cody

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/16/us/snake- ... stor-bite/
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby lonewolf » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:22 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. /


Apparently, the snake did not read that passage.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby br » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:54 am

Spanish man gets electrocuted after climbing onto train roof to take selfie

"A Spanish man was electrocuted after climbing onto the roof of a train to take a selfie.

The 21-year-old died in Andujar, Andalusia, at 12 noon Saturday after clambering on top of a haulage locomotive with a pal.

The duo thought the train, parked in a siding at the town's station, was not electrified. But its cables were in fact still connected and conducting a current."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/s ... -1.1723995
br
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby bambam » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:27 am

lonewolf wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. /


Apparently, the snake did not read that passage.


Snake handlers are not uncommon in the rural mountains of North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. Not well known is that North Carolina has more poisonous snake bites than any state in the US. We get them in the ER a lot.
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby Dutra5 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:50 pm

bambam wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. /


Apparently, the snake did not read that passage.


Snake handlers are not uncommon in the rural mountains of North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. Not well known is that North Carolina has more poisonous snake bites than any state in the US. We get them in the ER a lot.


Why is that out of curiosity? I can walk outside my home from about this time of year through at least October and have the expectation of running into a pygmy rattler or water moccasin with some regularity and Eastern Diamondback or Copperhead on occasion. This is without leaving the sidewalk. There doesn't seem to be much of a problem just north of tampa with snakebites.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby Blues » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:12 am

Dutra5 wrote:
bambam wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. /


Apparently, the snake did not read that passage.


Snake handlers are not uncommon in the rural mountains of North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. Not well known is that North Carolina has more poisonous snake bites than any state in the US. We get them in the ER a lot.


Why is that out of curiosity? I can walk outside my home from about this time of year through at least October and have the expectation of running into a pygmy rattler or water moccasin with some regularity and Eastern Diamondback or Copperhead on occasion. This is without leaving the sidewalk. There doesn't seem to be much of a problem just north of tampa with snakebites.


Bambam can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it probably has something to do with the number of Copperheads in NC, as well as the terrain and wooded areas that can make the snakes more easily camouflaged so people don't see them until it's too late. Copperheads also seem to bite sooner with less warning and with less provocation than other US venomous snakes, and account for more venonous snakebites in the US than any other snake. Some people may also not realize that the snake is venomous when they see it, unlike a rattlesnake where the rattle on the tail is usually a dead giveaway..

(Here in Arizona the rattlesnakes usually aren't hard to spot, and due to the terrain there may be more ways for the snake to escape before biting as compared overall to Copperheads in North Carolina. In many cases but definitely not all, the rattle can allow for some advanced warning too. I've come across more than a few rattlesnakes, and if I approached the snakes to take photos (no closer than about 6 to 7 feet which is about twice the distance that even the largest rattlers can strike, No Darwin Awards for me), the snake would often coil in a threatening manner with it's head ready to strike and sometimes rattle loudly too, and then just slither off as soon as I backed away.)
Blues
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby DrJay » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:28 am

Blues wrote: Copperheads also seem to bite sooner with less warning and with less provocation than other US venomous snakes...


Apparently true:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/re ... erhead.htm
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests