a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Her father/coach should be telling her to be a kid.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:26 pm

JumboElliott wrote:Her father/coach should be telling her to be a kid.


With both parents being former (and current??) athletes, it's probably pretty rare for a child of athletes to insist she or he would rather be a pianist or a doctor or a writer!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby James Fields » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:54 am

re Mary Decker, Marlow wrote:
It was in 1973 that she broke out with her 2:02.43 800

Source: an old TAC Annual
_______________

The 1975 AAU Official Handbook showed for M. Decker three American Indoor Records:

800m - 2:01.8 at San Diego - Feb. 17, 1974
880 yd 2:02.4 at San Diego - Feb. 17, 1974
1000 yd 2:26.7 at Los Angeles - Jan. 19, 1974
James Fields
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Knoxville and Seattle

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby Marlow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:04 am

James Fields wrote:re Mary Decker, Marlow wrote:
It was in 1973 that she broke out with her 2:02.43 800

Source: an old TAC Annual
The 1975 AAU Official Handbook showed for M. Decker three American Indoor Records:
800m - 2:01.8 at San Diego - Feb. 17, 1974
880 yd 2:02.4 at San Diego - Feb. 17, 1974
1000 yd 2:26.7 at Los Angeles - Jan. 19, 1974

I'm thinking the 800 time given by TAC was unconverted (880y>800m), or was she actually timed at 800m, which would make the TAC Annual 'wrong'.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21081
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby gh » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:05 am

Decker was timed at both 800m and 880y
gh
 
Posts: 46321
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby Marlow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:35 am

gh wrote:Decker was timed at both 800m and 880y

Bad TAC!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21081
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby gh » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 am

what's bad? there were two sets of timers and she got ARs for each distance.
gh
 
Posts: 46321
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby Marlow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 am

gh wrote:what's bad? there were two sets of timers and she got ARs for each distance.

The TAC Annual lists her 800 time as her 880 time (no 880 given).
Marlow
 
Posts: 21081
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:52 am

James Fields wrote:re Mary Decker, Marlow wrote:
It was in 1973 that she broke out with her 2:02.43 800

Source: an old TAC Annual
_______________

The 1975 AAU Official Handbook showed for M. Decker three American Indoor Records:

800m - 2:01.8 at San Diego - Feb. 17, 1974
880 yd 2:02.4 at San Diego - Feb. 17, 1974
1000 yd 2:26.7 at Los Angeles - Jan. 19, 1974


Pretty amazing for a 15 year old!!
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby br » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:59 am

James Fields wrote:re Mary Decker, Marlow wrote:
It was in 1973 that she broke out with her 2:02.43 800

Source: an old TAC Annual
_______________

The 1975 AAU Official Handbook showed for M. Decker three American Indoor Records:

800m - 2:01.8 at San Diego - Feb. 17, 1974
880 yd 2:02.4 at San Diego - Feb. 17, 1974
1000 yd 2:26.7 at Los Angeles - Jan. 19, 1974

According to this site, http://age-records.125mb.com/, that 2:02.43 is still the age 14 world 800m record. The 2:01.8 is the age 15 record and she also has the age 14 mile record (4:40.1).

14 2:02.43 Mary Decker USA 4 Aug 58 Munich 12 Jul 73
15 2:01.8 i Mary Decker USA 4 Aug 58 San Diego CA 17 Feb 74
14 4:40.1 i Mary Decker USA 4 Aug 58 Richmond VA 16 Mar 73
br
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:45 pm

The above source is excellent!
Thanx for the link!
But......those are NOT "world" records or bests.
The African nations are NOT included. (Note that they say their "records" cover just 48 nations!!)

I keep age records, though mine start at age 17. (Though it's actually listed as "17 & under"!)
And I know for a fact that most of those marks listed from 800 through 10K are NOT "World" bests!!
The Africans own most of those!!

But thanks again for the link!!
I'll take a LOT of time perusing it!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:10 pm

aaronk wrote:The above source is excellent!
Thanx for the link!
But......those are NOT "world" records or bests.
The African nations are NOT included. (Note that they say their "records" cover just 48 nations!!)

I keep age records, though mine start at age 17. (Though it's actually listed as "17 & under"!)
And I know for a fact that most of those marks listed from 800 through 10K are NOT "World" bests!!
The Africans own most of those!!

But thanks again for the link!!
I'll take a LOT of time perusing it!!


Just out of curiosity Aaronk, can you list who has done better than the 2:02 as a 14 year old or 2:01 as a 15 year old?
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:47 pm

odelltrclan wrote:
aaronk wrote:The above source is excellent!
Thanx for the link!
But......those are NOT "world" records or bests.
The African nations are NOT included. (Note that they say their "records" cover just 48 nations!!)

I keep age records, though mine start at age 17. (Though it's actually listed as "17 & under"!)
And I know for a fact that most of those marks listed from 800 through 10K are NOT "World" bests!!
The Africans own most of those!!

But thanks again for the link!!
I'll take a LOT of time perusing it!!


Just out of curiosity Aaronk, can you list who has done better than the 2:02 as a 14 year old or 2:01 as a 15 year old?


My age records begin at age 17.
But HS Track lists HS age records from age 14.

The OUTdoor age 14 800 mark for girls is listed as 2:02.43 by Mary Decker in 1973.
The age 15 OUTdoor mark is listed as 2:02.29, also by Decker....in 1974.
Jack Shepard doesn't list age records for INdoor, but he does have class marks.
The Frosh class mark is listed as 2:06.48 by Devon Williams from 2004.
Decker's 2:01.8 (The 2:02.4 880 mark is NOT listed!!) from 1974 is listed as the Soph class record.

I have no idea if an African (or....??) has run faster at those ages....but my guess is, they have NOT.
2:02 for a girl at 14 or 15 is pretty damn impressive!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:16 pm

aaronk wrote:The OUTdoor age 14 800 mark for girls is listed as 2:02.43 by Mary Decker in 1973.
The age 15 OUTdoor mark is listed as 2:02.29, also by Decker....in 1974.
Jack Shepard doesn't list age records for INdoor, but he does have class marks.
The Frosh class mark is listed as 2:06.48 by Devon Williams from 2004.
Decker's 2:01.8 (The 2:02.4 880 mark is NOT listed!!) from 1974 is listed as the Soph class record.

I have no idea if an African (or....??) has run faster at those ages....but my guess is, they have NOT.
2:02 for a girl at 14 or 15 is pretty damn impressive!!


The point being that unless someone else in the world can come up with a proven verifiable mark that those are world bests. These marks are superior for the age, imo to what Mary Cain did this year. American Records as a 14/15 year old? It is too bad Mary D had those injury problems because it would have been nice to see what she could have done at 16/17.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:30 pm

odelltrclan wrote:
aaronk wrote:The OUTdoor age 14 800 mark for girls is listed as 2:02.43 by Mary Decker in 1973.
The age 15 OUTdoor mark is listed as 2:02.29, also by Decker....in 1974.
Jack Shepard doesn't list age records for INdoor, but he does have class marks.
The Frosh class mark is listed as 2:06.48 by Devon Williams from 2004.
Decker's 2:01.8 (The 2:02.4 880 mark is NOT listed!!) from 1974 is listed as the Soph class record.

I have no idea if an African (or....??) has run faster at those ages....but my guess is, they have NOT.
2:02 for a girl at 14 or 15 is pretty damn impressive!!


The point being that unless someone else in the world can come up with a proven verifiable mark that those are world bests. These marks are superior for the age, imo to what Mary Cain did this year. American Records as a 14/15 year old? It is too bad Mary D had those injury problems because it would have been nice to see what she could have done at 16/17.


Taking absolutely NOTHING away from Mary Slaney (Decker!), in 1973 and 1974, there weren't very many girls (or WOMEN!!) running 800's seriously.
So it was easier to set world or collegiate or high school records for girls in those days.
Title IX had just been passed the year before (1972), so Mary D was on the cutting edge of the development of girl's track in the US as a frosh and soph in HS.

And yes, Decker's times as a 14 and 15 year old ARE more impressive than Cain's mark as a 17 year old, but it must be said that Decker didn't break 2:00 until her 20's, I believe (due to injuries, etc), so Cain's mark holds a LOT of weight too!!

(God, I wish they could have raced against each other!! One of those magical duels of one era against another every fan dreams of!!)
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:55 pm

aaronk wrote:Taking absolutely NOTHING away from Mary Slaney (Decker!), in 1973 and 1974, there weren't very many girls (or WOMEN!!) running 800's seriously.
So it was easier to set world or collegiate or high school records for girls in those days.
Title IX had just been passed the year before (1972), so Mary D was on the cutting edge of the development of girl's track in the US as a frosh and soph in HS.

And yes, Decker's times as a 14 and 15 year old ARE more impressive than Cain's mark as a 17 year old, but it must be said that Decker didn't break 2:00 until her 20's, I believe (due to injuries, etc), so Cain's mark holds a LOT of weight too!!

(God, I wish they could have raced against each other!! One of those magical duels of one era against another every fan dreams of!!)


Yes, you can argue the records were easier then to break than they are today but that is a given and apply to every event as the bar continually gets raised. But I think people also tend to forget how good some of those from that era were. Not just good but amazing! The stopwatch does not lie!! I never thought in my lifetime I would ever see another American like Mary Decker so I am glad we now have Cain. I certainly hope she can reach the level of her predecessor. I still have a lot of doubts about that and hope to be wrong. On the plus side is a coach who at seems to make a concerted effort to prevent athletes from burnout and overtraining, and still knows how to get them to their very best as well.

We hear now that Shannon Rowbury will be training with Salazar so another great athlete for her to train with from time to time.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Marlow wrote:
aaronk wrote:Has everybody read the front page article on Alana Hadley, the 16 year old junior from a Charlotte NC high school?

Made me look.

These two sentences give me pause . . .

Three years later and now a junior at Ardrey Kell High School in Charlotte, N.C., the 16-year-old Hadley is making strides in hopes of lining up against the likes of Flanagan and Goucher at the 2016 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials. . . . Running between 100 and 110 miles a week, Alana is eager to race her next marathon in Indianapolis.


100+ mpw at 16 . . . she is a minor, which means her parents ARE responsible for her actions. Maybe she really is that one-in-a-100-million kid whose adolescent body thrives on such 'stress' or . . . maybe not. I have no 'judgement' here, but I have my worries.

edit - I see that as I was composing this, gh had similar misgivings.



Hadley won the women's race at the Salem Lake 30K today in Winston-Salem NC.
She ran 1:59:13, with just 2 guys finishing ahead of her, and 2nd woman (age 33!!) about 4 minutes behind her!!
Her time is 3rd A-T on the course, and this race has been run for 20 or more years!!

Great prep for her upcoming marathon!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby bruce3404 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:12 pm

FWIW, Mary Cain was at the Dellinger X-C meet today in Springfield, OR. She spent the day hanging around with other Duck athletes, some of whom she seemed to know quite well. Read into that what you wish. HS JR Alexa Efraimson shocked the women's field by taking first over a strong group of Washington Huskies, among them Katie Flood.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:03 am

bruce3404 wrote:FWIW, Mary Cain was at the Dellinger X-C meet today in Springfield, OR. She spent the day hanging around with other Duck athletes, some of whom she seemed to know quite well. Read into that what you wish. HS JR Alexa Efraimson shocked the women's field by taking first over a strong group of Washington Huskies, among them Katie Flood.


Just curious, but does her 4.2 GPA and elite athlete status give Ms Cain special dispensation to miss chunks of classroom time at Bronxville HS??

I wasn't a star athlete, and my GPA was about HALF what Ms Cain's is, but JEEZ!!!!......if I was just LATE to class ONCE, I was threatened with all sorts of punishments!!

What gives, Mary??

Or more accurately, what gives, Bronxvulle HS Administrators????


ADD:
I got more to add to this little rant!!
Why did she fly all the way across the country (at her parent's expense!!!)....and not race?????

As for her knowing some UO athletes, it's not surprising.
In London (and I assume Moscow), she was very close with Jordan Hasay, very recent UO graduate!!
I'm sure Jordan introduced her to her former teammates!!
Not to mention, she may have met some of them while at the Pre meet!!
And her coach is Alberto Salazar!
And one of his athletes if former Duck Galen Rupp!!

Bottom line: Don't read anything nefarious or headline-making into Mary's little visit to Duck territory.......except for the fact she was playing hooky from her school!!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby unclezadok » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:34 am

bruce3404 wrote:FWIW, Mary Cain was at the Dellinger X-C meet today in Springfield, OR. She spent the day hanging around with other Duck athletes, some of whom she seemed to know quite well. Read into that what you wish. HS JR Alexa Efraimson shocked the women's field by taking first over a strong group of Washington Huskies, among them Katie Flood.


Efraimson is the greatest high school runner since...2013!
unclezadok
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:54 pm

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:46 am

Has any one considered that Mary Cain may want to graduate early (Dec., 2013), and do a semester of college athletics, in a non-championship year.
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby KevinM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:33 pm

aaronk wrote:Just curious, but does her 4.2 GPA and elite athlete status give Ms Cain special dispensation to miss chunks of classroom time at Bronxville HS??

I wasn't a star athlete, and my GPA was about HALF what Ms Cain's is, but JEEZ!!!!......if I was just LATE to class ONCE, I was threatened with all sorts of punishments!!

What gives, Mary??

Or more accurately, what gives, Bronxvulle HS Administrators????


ADD:
I got more to add to this little rant!!
Why did she fly all the way across the country (at her parent's expense!!!)....and not race?????



Is!!!

It!!!!

Possible!!!

She!!!!

Was!!!

On!!!

a

Recruiting!!!

Trip????!??????

(and why is any of this your damn business?)
KevinM
 
Posts: 2645
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby bruce3404 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:45 pm

KevinM wrote:


Is!!!

It!!!!

Possible!!!

She!!!!

Was!!!

On!!!

a

Recruiting!!!

Trip????!??????



It sure looked like it; assuming it's the same sort of thing they do with basketball and football players....show 'em around, take 'em to a meet, let them meet some potential team mates. She seemed to be having a good time, whatever the reason for her attendance.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:07 pm

According to a Tweet by Chris Nickinson, it WAS a recruiting trip!!
Hmmmmmm!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby tandfman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:35 pm

You mean Oregon is recruiting Mary Cain? I'm shocked, shocked!!!! :)
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Well, after she shatters EVERY Collegiate Record, indoors from 800 to 5000, and outdoors from 800 to 10000....what will she do her SOPHOMORE year?? :P
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby KevinM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:52 pm

aaronk wrote:According to a Tweet by Chris Nickinson, it WAS a recruiting trip!!
Hmmmmmm!


This is your response to learning this information? Not, "man, did I come off like a crazed jackass in that last post"?
KevinM
 
Posts: 2645
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby KevinM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:54 pm

bruce3404 wrote:; assuming it's the same sort of thing they do with basketball and football players....show 'em around, take 'em to a meet, let them meet some potential team mates.


Yes - same deal, with comparatively fewer thrills. It's something a few thousand kids per weekend will be doing nationwide each weekend from now through late winter. Unless the parameters have changed recently, each kid gets expenses-paid to visit up to 5 schools for 48 hours.
KevinM
 
Posts: 2645
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby Daisy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:52 pm

aaronk wrote:Bottom line: Don't read anything nefarious or headline-making into Mary's little visit to Duck territory.......except for the fact she was playing hooky from her school!!!

I thought you were a fan? And why would any HS care about a 4.2 student missing a few classes?
Last edited by Daisy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:45 pm

aaronk wrote:
bruce3404 wrote:FWIW, Mary Cain was at the Dellinger X-C meet today in Springfield, OR. She spent the day hanging around with other Duck athletes, some of whom she seemed to know quite well. Read into that what you wish. HS JR Alexa Efraimson shocked the women's field by taking first over a strong group of Washington Huskies, among them Katie Flood.


Just curious, but does her 4.2 GPA and elite athlete status give Ms Cain special dispensation to miss chunks of classroom time at Bronxville HS??

I wasn't a star athlete, and my GPA was about HALF what Ms Cain's is, but JEEZ!!!!......if I was just LATE to class ONCE, I was threatened with all sorts of punishments!!

What gives, Mary??

Or more accurately, what gives, Bronxvulle HS Administrators????


ADD:
I got more to add to this little rant!!
Why did she fly all the way across the country (at her parent's expense!!!)....and not race?????

As for her knowing some UO athletes, it's not surprising.
In London (and I assume Moscow), she was very close with Jordan Hasay, very recent UO graduate!!
I'm sure Jordan introduced her to her former teammates!!
Not to mention, she may have met some of them while at the Pre meet!!
And her coach is Alberto Salazar!
And one of his athletes if former Duck Galen Rupp!!

Bottom line: Don't read anything nefarious or headline-making into Mary's little visit to Duck territory.......except for the fact she was playing hooky from her school!!!


Presuming a recruiting trip....official or otherwise....it's an excused absence which should answer about 95% of the nonsense in this post.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby lonewolf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:56 pm

This is in the top two non-newsworthy events in forum history. I can't remember what the other one was. :)
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby bruce3404 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:29 pm

lonewolf wrote:This is in the top two non-newsworthy events in forum history. I can't remember what the other one was. :)


Depends on who you root for :D
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby lonewolf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:42 pm

I am not rooting for or against any athlete or school. I understand and do not begrudge Oregon supporters elation at the favorable indicators that Mary Cain is interested in attending Oregon.

It is just that when an elite track HS senior visits an elite track university... where her coach resides... how is this mind-blowing news?

Granted, it is an item of interest to track aficionados but hardly seems worthy of intense surprise/suspense/drama/conjecture/conspiracy/revelation..
Just my opinion..blessings on em all. :)
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby bruce3404 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:12 pm

lonewolf wrote:
It is just that when an elite track HS senior visits an elite track university... where her coach resides... how is this mind-blowing news?


Agreed. That's why I buried it in this long thread rather than start a new thread because it's not really earth-shaking news, but rather "just news". We got earth-shattering a few months ago when she was holding a toy duck after competing at Nationals in Des Moines :D
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 am

Some of the above responses to my "rant" (see above) are one of the BIG reasons I'm spending more time on Twitter recently than this MB!!
(Another reason is that I'm mostly a TRACK (and field) person, NOT a CC buff, so CC stuff doesn't excite me as much as track does!)

Anyway, I guess I need to explain/clarify something.

My rant about Mary skipping school to go to UO for a recruitment visit was born of naivety!!
I was unfamiliar with the knowledge that recruitable (STAR) athletes are not only PERMITTED to skip school to visit up to 5 colleges, but are actually COMPENSATED for it!!

You see, I was nowhere near star quality (in either sports or the classroom!!), so if I wanted to go to college, and decided to skip school to visit campuses, I would've been termed a TRUANT, and punished accordingly!!

But in actuality, I think my REAL reasons for the rant were the following:

1. I feel COMPETING for a college (even UO, even with Salazar still her main coach, even able to compete in elite meets) would be a HUGE mistake for Mary!! I outlined the pro's and con's of this in my initial post on this thread!

2. I was disappointed she traveled cross country (sic!) and didn't jump in the Dellinger race!! (And her not being in top shape right now, I wonder if she could've beaten Alexa Efraimson!!!)

Anyway, back to Twitter!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:45 am

aaronk wrote:
You see, I was nowhere near star quality (in either sports or the classroom!!), so if I wanted to go to college, and decided to skip school to visit campuses, I would've been termed a TRUANT, and punished accordingly!!


College visits are encouraged in today's world so one not need be star quality in either case.

But in actuality, I think my REAL reasons for the rant were the following:

1. I feel COMPETING for a college (even UO, even with Salazar still her main coach, even able to compete in elite meets) would be a HUGE mistake for Mary!! I outlined the pro's and con's of this in my initial post on this thread!

2. I was disappointed she traveled cross country (sic!) and didn't jump in the Dellinger race!! (And her not being in top shape right now, I wonder if she could've beaten Alexa Efraimson!!!)

Anyway, back to Twitter!!


I can't say the REAL reasons make any further sense. .
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:11 pm

aaronk wrote:2. I was disappointed she traveled cross country (sic!) and didn't jump in the Dellinger race!! (And her not being in top shape right now, I wonder if she could've beaten Alexa Efraimson!!!)


Athletes are not allowed to compete on official visits, as the NCAA terms this a "tryout".
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
aaronk wrote:2. I was disappointed she traveled cross country (sic!) and didn't jump in the Dellinger race!! (And her not being in top shape right now, I wonder if she could've beaten Alexa Efraimson!!!)


Athletes are not allowed to compete on official visits, as the NCAA terms this a "tryout".


Thanks for the info.
Something else I wasn't aware of, re recruitment rules & regs.
That ain't where my interest lay!! (Lie??? :) )

In fact, if I had to name my LEAST favorite thing T&FN covers, it would be their annual Where They Are Going feature.
About the only part of that I look at closely is the Top Ten schools, where they usually list 4 or 5 star athletes for each school.
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:25 am

A question popped into my mind just now concerning Mary's 2014.

I read the Q&A with Alberto Salazar about Shannon Rowbury joining NOP.
In it, he mentioned Shannon training with Tara Erdmann, Jordan Hasay, and Treniere Moser.
There was no mention of Mary Cain.

Granted, Mary isn't "officially" a member of NOP.
She's not a pro, and may not turn pro for at least another year!
She does most of her training in Bronxville NY, with workouts provided by Salazar, under the local supervision of John Henwood.

So the question that popped into my head after reading the interview was.....
What is Mary Cain's STATUS in the NOP for the 2014 season (at least until she decides on college and/or turning pro)??

In other words, will she continue as is, living and training in NY while finishing HS (in May or early June!), with just a verbal commitment to having Salazar be her coach, but WITHOUT being an "official" member of NOP?

And does she have to be an OFFICIAL member of NOP to be mentioned in interviews like the one about Shannon Rowbury......as someone Rowbury might do some training with?
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby aaronk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:07 am

The question I posed a couple of days ago (see previous post) has been answered......sort of.

MY question came from NOT seeing Mary mentioned (while Tara, Treniere & Jordan were!) in the interview with Salazar about Shannon Rowbury joining NOP.

Well, a RW/RT article on the front page DOES mention Mary.
It says......"Presumably, Mary will train with Moser and Rowbury.......when her schedule permits"!!

She'll be turning 18 and graduating HS right about the same time.
IF......IF she turns pro after the WJC in July, then she'd have the freedom (being 18, and able to make her own decisions) to move west and join NOP......officially!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eiluke, Flumpy and 13 guests