Favorite relay race of all time

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Re: Favorite relay race of all time

Postby CookyMonzta » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:06 pm

1983, U.S. vs. East Germany in the w4x100 in L.A.. Alice Brown, Diane Williams, Chandra Cheeseborough, Evelyn Ashford. As I remember it, Alice didn't lose a step to Marita Koch on leadoff, and once Diane got the stick, she ran Bärbel Wöckel down on the back-straight. A week after running 21.99, Chandra took advantage of a rookie named Silke Gladisch (Möller), and put more distance between her and the GDR. And Evelyn, after losing in the 100 to Marlies Göhr in a big headwind, and spoiling for revenge, ran like there was no tomorrow.

41.63, AR, missing the WR by .03. the first time they beat the GDR. A week later, 41.61 in Colorado Springs and a WR 10.79 for Evelyn. If she had not torn her hamstring in Helsinki, I think this team, probably the best team ever (at that time) to have been assembled since the 1968 Olympic team, would have broken the WR of 41.53 and held it for at least 2 years.

[A sidebar: As I look at the all-time relay list, I keep wondering: Why on Earth did Jamaica put Shelly on leadoff in their 41.41 performance?}
CookyMonzta

Postby luther » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Mine is probably the m4x100 WR at the 1990 EC in Split. I'm not French, but just loved that race. No-one saw a WR coming, least of all the athletes themselves - Marie-Rose's face when he saw the time was a picture!
luther

Postby Mighty Favog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:16 pm

1988 Ohio HS boys 4x400 relay final, class AAA (large schools).

Chris Nelloms won the 100, 400 and 200 and then came up for the anchor, all in less than 2 hours. Shaker Heights had a 3:15 squad with no stars, Dayton Dunbar had three 50-flat guys and Nelloms. He got the baton maybe 40 meters back and made up 39 of them. The Columbus Dispatch reported his split at 44.8.
Mighty Favog

Postby Powell » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:27 am

CookyMonzta wrote:I keep wondering: Why on Earth did Jamaica put Shelly on leadoff in their 41.41 performance?

Why not? She is the fastest starter around, I think it makes perfect sense; she's probably able to gain relatively more on that leg than on any other.
Ben Johnson also ran the first leg on the Canadian team in '87 and '88. Same logic.
Powell

Postby Master Po » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:51 am

Interesting thread -- thanks to the OP & other contributors. I don't have the wealth of knowledge & experience that many of you have (i.e., I'm not as old :wink: ), so this has been good reading.

As for me, thinking more recently, I tend to favor any relay in which the USA team actually gets the baton around the track. Historically, however, I have read many posters on here in other threads over the years comment on the Tokyo men's 4x100, so I think that one should be mentioned. Just watched it on YouTube, and Hayes' anchor amazes, even knowing exactly what's going to happen. It was the first one that came to mind upon reading this thread's title.

The second relay that came to mind was the comic one related by Bill Cosby in his "Track & Field: Mile Relay" routine, from his 1969 record, Sports. I remembered hearing this as a child and thinking it was hilarious. Just listened to it again. (It's on YouTube -- you can find it easily.) It is funnier to me now, because, well, I get it. It is one recommended antidote to the latest round of serious problems we read about and discuss in this sport we love. (Also a routine on that record titled "High Jump" -- I recall enjoying it too, but haven't listened again.)
Master Po

Postby runforlife » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:1988 Ohio HS boys 4x400 relay final, class AAA (large schools).

Chris Nelloms won the 100, 400 and 200 and then came up for the anchor, The Columbus Dispatch reported his split at 44.8.

Yes MF, I don't doubt it. Nelloms was a beautiful runner, so smooth. So was Kristie Orre of Northmont. She held the all time OHSAA 3200m record for a long time and still is one of the fastest ever. Both were unbelievably smooth runners.
A great very underrated runner was Sam Borchers, Yellow Springs. In the 2007 Regional 4*8 he was at least 50m behind the leader and ran a 1:48 anchor. If he had needed a 1:47 to win, he would have done it. He was the greatest 800m/1600m runner in OH HS history, IMHO. He still holds the OH HS 1500m record, which was a sec. faster than Bob Kennedy ever ran. Sam Prakel of Versailles this year ran the second fastest 1500m time at the Des Moines Jr. Nationals.
runforlife

Postby trackinblack2 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:20 am

One can not dismiss the sheer majesty of the Women's 4x100 relay in the 2012 London Olympics.
The power and speed displayed was awesome. Add to that the Theatrics of Carmalita
Jeter's antics as She crossed the line pointing to the clock in amazement at breaking
41.00. Flat. That long lasted record of the East German team was not just shattered, it
Was " Nuked". 4 classy sprinters each likeable on their own had done the impossible.
One of my favorite moments in track and field of all time.
Last edited by trackinblack2 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trackinblack2

Postby user4 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:22 am

CookyMonzta wrote:1983, U.S. vs. East Germany in the w4x100 in L.A.. Alice Brown, Diane Williams, Chandra Cheeseborough, Evelyn Ashford. As I remember it, Alice didn't lose a step to Marita Koch on leadoff, and once Diane got the stick, she ran Bärbel Wöckel down on the back-straight. A week after running 21.99, Chandra took advantage of a rookie named Silke Gladisch (Möller), and put more distance between her and the GDR. And Evelyn, after losing in the 100 to Marlies Göhr in a big headwind, and spoiling for revenge, ran like there was no tomorrow.

Big question this raises, who was the GDR coach that put Koch on the first leg of a 4X1 ?... That is just dumb.
user4

Postby LTS » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:05 am

Jim Ryun's anchor, 1:47.7, for Wichita East HS two mile relay, 7:43.0, April 17, 1965, Kansas Relays, Lawrence, Kansas.

Take it from one who was there with 220 yards left it didn't look like he could do it. But then he turned on the afterburners and the record fell.

The day before he ran 4:04.8 in the high school division mile.
LTS

Postby Gabriella » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:48 am

drdan wrote: Also notable for appalling changeover from Heike Dreshler and the best 2nd leg I've ever seen from Katrin Krabbe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8iWrvI7 ... age#t=815s

I love Heike, but even I'll concede that wasn't her finest moment...

[/quote]

I love Heike even more, but emphatically agree! The funny thing was, poor Sabine Richter got blamed for the exchange, the coaches saying the problem was that she was the only FRG girl in the team! I remember reading the AW preview at the time, saying that Germany's depth had dropped and they had to rely on an 11.3 performer now (Richther). Oh how times have changed.

On the women's side I love Seoul 88 4x1 and 4x4 as well as Atlanta 96 4x4. Watching Ogunkoya track Miles was super exciting.

On the mens, the battle behind the USA in Seoul 88 4x4 was great viewing. Athens 04 4x1 was great as well.
Gabriella

Postby Rog » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:36 am

Gabriella wrote:
drdan wrote: Also notable for appalling changeover from Heike Dreshler and the best 2nd leg I've ever seen from Katrin Krabbe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8iWrvI7 ... age#t=815s

I love Heike, but even I'll concede that wasn't her finest moment...

I love Heike even more, but emphatically agree! The funny thing was, poor Sabine Richter got blamed for the exchange, the coaches saying the problem was that she was the only FRG girl in the team! I remember reading the AW preview at the time, saying that Germany's depth had dropped and they had to rely on an 11.3 performer now (Richther). Oh how times have changed.

On the women's side I love Seoul 88 4x1 and 4x4 as well as Atlanta 96 4x4. Watching Ogunkoya track Miles was super exciting.

On the mens, the battle behind the USA in Seoul 88 4x4 was great viewing. Athens 04 4x1 was great as well.[/quote]

I saw the German 4x1 team run 4 times in 91 (on TV) - the dual with the UK, the Euro Cup, the Worlds semi final and the final - and Heike did the same thing in every single race bar the Worlds semi! I remember at the victory ceremony though Heike and Richter turned up laughing and joking, barefoot and casual - which was stark contrast to Krabbe and Breuer stalking off, sternfaced, to get ready for the 4x400!
Rog

Postby nunusguy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:04 am

I was sitting on a stat bicycle peddling away at 24/7 while watching the overhead tube this week and they were replaying the womens USA/USSR 4 X 400 relay which was probably the greatest
womens relay event I've ever seen. Wow, what a fantastic race and what a great anchor leg !
nunusguy

Postby nunusguy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:28 am

#1 favorite relay race ? Maybe Mizzou beating their arch-rival Jayhawks at the 1962 "KU Relays"
in the 2-mile event. Highlite of the relay was probably the anchor leg when Mizzou's great quartermiler Jim Baker moved up to the half to go against KU miler Bill Dotson as Baker led the Missouri team to a new Relays record in the 2-mile relay. Remember the race vividly to this day, as the temps on that April day in Lawrence were more like the 4th of July.
nunusguy

Postby GHM » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:05 am

dukehjsteve wrote:I was 17 in 1960, and had just become a tracknut ( still am one ! ).

The event that has always stuck in my mind is the Rome 1600 relay, with Otis Davis outlasting Carl Kaufman in a WR 3:02.2. I think Yerman led off, followed by Earl Young and Glenn Davis than Otis on the anchor.

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyqNuHyV3-Y
GHM

Postby no one » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:19 am

'60 4x400: notice hardly anyone in stands as they walk in - then - Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo - stands are full for final. Practice? Semis or heats? magic?

very nice race - and vid quality is decent
no one

Postby olorin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:43 am

CookyMonzta wrote:1983, U.S. vs. East Germany in the w4x100 in L.A.. Alice Brown, Diane Williams, Chandra Cheeseborough, Evelyn Ashford. As I remember it, Alice didn't lose a step to Marita Koch on leadoff, and once Diane got the stick, she ran Bärbel Wöckel down on the back-straight. A week after running 21.99, Chandra took advantage of a rookie named Silke Gladisch (Möller), and put more distance between her and the GDR. And Evelyn, after losing in the 100 to Marlies Göhr in a big headwind, and spoiling for revenge, ran like there was no tomorrow.

41.63, AR, missing the WR by .03. the first time they beat the GDR. A week later, 41.61 in Colorado Springs and a WR 10.79 for Evelyn. If she had not torn her hamstring in Helsinki, I think this team, probably the best team ever (at that time) to have been assembled since the 1968 Olympic team, would have broken the WR of 41.53 and held it for at least 2 years.

[A sidebar: As I look at the all-time relay list, I keep wondering: Why on Earth did Jamaica put Shelly on leadoff in their 41.41 performance?}

My favourite too.
And the men race was also an epic battle when Lewis close ~5m on the last East German
olorin

Postby Rog » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:37 am

I have that race on video. The US changes were far better - the GDR team had a new line-up, and some of the passing was poor. The big problem for the GDR was Barbel Wockel's leg, where she lost 3 or 4 metres to Diane Williams. Apparently Wockel had viral problems that year and was well below form. According to a report I read, Gohr gained slightly on Ashford, but she was coming from 5m back so it made little difference. Apparently after Gohr beat her by a metre and a half in the 100 Ashford stormed off and refused to attend the victory ceremony, with the result that it was cancelled! Not a one-off display of gracelessness by Ashford, either. But all credit to the US team, they ran exceptionally well and prompted a shake-up in the GDR line-up, with the result that the revamped team broke the world record a few weeks later.
Rog

Postby peach77 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:59 am

Christine Arron's anchor leg giving the French gold at the 1998 Europeans...that remains the best anchor I think I've ever seen and I was :shock: :shock: :shock: for ages after!
peach77

Postby Rog » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:39 am

peach77 wrote:Christine Arron's anchor leg giving the French gold at the 1998 Europeans...that remains the best anchor I think I've ever seen and I was :shock: :shock: :shock: for ages after!

I remember that run too. Christine had run 10.73 earlier in the week, but even so her anchor run couldn't have been predicted. She only beat Privalova by a tenth in the 100 but somehow seemed to take 5 or 6m out of her. I thought that here was the woman who could beat Marion Jones to be the fastest woman in the world, but alas it didn't turn out like that. Pity.
Rog

Postby no one » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:26 am

time and again .. captured the crowds attention and enthusiasm:

LA city HSs used to (at least up to 60s) run a 8 x 220 relay. It was entertaining to watch but also show cased some excellent talent and team/school depth. Not sure if other areas of the states ran the same relay - I know CIF-SS didn't. Manual Arts had the national record at one point - averaging 21.8 per for the 8 individuals. Not too shabby.
no one

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Yes, they use to run the 8-man mile relay at the Coliseum Relays in the 1960's. There were some great races during those relays. I remember Manual Arts, Jefferson, Dorsey, Los Angeles, and Fremont High having sensational relay teams.
DoubleRBar

Previous