Ajee' Wilson Puts College On Hold


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby aaronk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 pm

az2004 wrote:it should be noted derek thompson has been ajee wilson coach for the past couple year in hs and now, it's nt something new

and the states top 60/200 girl taylor williams is running without any hs link


As is Mary Cain!
Are we being "Lebron James'd" out of future collegiate stars??
aaronk
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Marlow » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 pm

aaronk wrote:Are we being "Lebron James'd" out of future collegiate stars??

That didn't seem to be a problem for Basketball. 'HS to Pro' is such a rarity that we can handle the few that do it, and it might even be best for them, since virtually all still go to college for the degree.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21078
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby dj » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Marlow wrote:
aaronk wrote:Are we being "Lebron James'd" out of future collegiate stars??

That didn't seem to be a problem for Basketball. 'HS to Pro' is such a rarity that we can handle the few that do it, and it might even be best for them, since virtually all still go to college for the degree.


'HS to Pro' can't happen anymore since the latest union agreement was signed.
dj
 
Posts: 6198
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 pm

dj wrote:'HS to Pro' can't happen anymore since the latest union agreement was signed.


Unless they go to Europe.
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:31 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
dj wrote:'HS to Pro' can't happen anymore since the latest union agreement was signed.


Unless they go to Europe.


Which is rare, except for those for which even a semester of college is too much.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby GDAWG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm

She may choose to go the Allyson Felix route:

She can still attend college and get her degree while at the same time, compete as a pro. She just would be a non-athlete on campus.

Allyson did it, winning a Silver Medal in Athens and the first of her three World Golds in Helsinki while going for a teaching degree at the University of Southern California.
GDAWG
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm

GDAWG wrote:She may choose to go the Allyson Felix route:

She can still attend college and get her degree while at the same time, compete as a pro. She just would be a non-athlete on campus.

Allyson did it, winning a Silver Medal in Athens and the first of her three World Golds in Helsinki while going for a teaching degree at the University of Southern California.


Webb did it too. That sure worked out well. Though he did get the AR in the mile so it wasn't completely a lost cause.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby 18.99s » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:51 pm

With a best of only 2:00.91 and never having made the final of an Olympic or Worlds trials or NCAA championship, nor done anything of note in mixing it up with the pros on the circuit yet, I have to think the contract isn't a very good one. It's surely not as good as what she'd get if she made the WC team or ran sub-2:00 this summer.

She probably simply didn't like the idea of college and preferred to take any contract that pays just enough to live and train, even if it's worth less than a college scholarship.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby 18.99s » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Bruce Kritzler wrote:
dj wrote:'HS to Pro' can't happen anymore since the latest union agreement was signed.


Unless they go to Europe.


Which is rare, except for those for which even a semester of college is too much.


Or those who were unable to meet the academic standards to go to college.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Blues » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm

18.99s wrote:With a best of only 2:00.91 and never having made the final of an Olympic or Worlds trials or NCAA championship, nor done anything of note in mixing it up with the pros on the circuit yet, I have to think the contract isn't a very good one. It's surely not as good as what she'd get if she made the WC team or ran sub-2:00 this summer.

She probably simply didn't like the idea of college and preferred to take any contract that pays just enough to live and train, even if it's worth less than a college scholarship.


I have to wonder if maybe one of her club coaches or someone else influenced her decision... I know it doesn't prove anything, but Ajee did pretty well academically in high school with a 3.5 grade point average.
Blues
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:56 am

derek thompson was ajee coachwhen she was a senior at neptune

he has a very good reputation

and with ray flynn invovled, i think ajee is in good hands
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Blues » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 am

This isn't a big deal, but since Ajee will start running her indoor 800's soon and more people might be referring to the American Jr. Record list in the T&FN records section, could we get Mary Slaney's AJR corrected to 2:01.8 on the list? As I write this it still needs some correction.

(It was changed on the list a few days ago when the subject was first brought up, but it was changed to 2:01.08, still making it seem like an athlete like Ajee would have to run 2:01.07 to break Mary's record instead of 2:01.79. I sent a pm to gh about it on Monday, but the pm is still in my outbox so I'm not sure if he'll get a chance to see it, or if he'll assume it was about the original listing of 2:01.03 that he's already aware of...)
Blues
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Pego » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 am

Blues wrote:This isn't a big deal, but since Ajee will start running her indoor 800's soon and more people might be referring to the American Jr. Record list in the T&FN records section, could we get Mary Slaney's AJR corrected to 2:01.8 on the list? As I write this it still needs some correction.

(It was changed on the list a few days ago when the subject was first brought up, but it was changed to 2:01.08, still making it seem like an athlete like Ajee would have to run 2:01.07 to break Mary's record instead of 2:01.79. I sent a pm to gh about it on Monday, but the pm is still in my outbox so I'm not sure if he'll get a chance to see it, or if he'll assume it was about the original listing of 2:01.03 that he's already aware of...)


IIRC, he indicated to never check his PM's. E-mail him.
Pego
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Blues » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Pego wrote:
Blues wrote:This isn't a big deal, but since Ajee will start running her indoor 800's soon and more people might be referring to the American Jr. Record list in the T&FN records section, could we get Mary Slaney's AJR corrected to 2:01.8 on the list? As I write this it still needs some correction.

(It was changed on the list a few days ago when the subject was first brought up, but it was changed to 2:01.08, still making it seem like an athlete like Ajee would have to run 2:01.07 to break Mary's record instead of 2:01.79. I sent a pm to gh about it on Monday, but the pm is still in my outbox so I'm not sure if he'll get a chance to see it, or if he'll assume it was about the original listing of 2:01.03 that he's already aware of...)


IIRC, he indicated to never check his PM's. E-mail him.


Mary Slaney's indoor 800m record on the T&FN AJR list is now correct. Thanks gh, or whoever it was that corrected it.
Blues
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby fourjz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 pm

We will see now.Coach Derick Thompson is a very good coach.So hopefully Ajee Wilson will make the transition from HS to Pros,and from HS to the real world in life as well.God bless her in her endeavor. :)
fourjz
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:58 am

the article on the front gives a very good review of ajee

"Ajee has been enrolled as a science major at Brookdale Community College in Lincroft, Middletown, N.J. since September 2012 and the plan is to transfer to Temple University in Phladelphia this September, where the adidas contract will guarantee her tuition until graduation (just as Felix's adidas contract guaranteed full tuition at Southern California.)"
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby doug5321 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:55 pm

wasnt wilson supposed to run this weekends boston indoor meet? her name is not on the start list, is she injured? http://www.nbindoorgrandprix.com/events ... 00-meters/
doug5321
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 pm

i'mchecking on that right now, as a promiment hs coach who knows her current coach is checking that out
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Blues » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 pm

doug5321 wrote:wasnt wilson supposed to run this weekends boston indoor meet? her name is not on the start list, is she injured? http://www.nbindoorgrandprix.com/events ... 00-meters/


She's running the 800 open division race at the Armory Collegiate Invitational in New York on Saturday. (Another race on the Armory track prior to her big Millrose 600m race might be beneficial..)
Blues
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Blues » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:24 am

Current entries for the Armory open women's 800m race, scheduled for 4:40pm Saturday, are below.. Although Ajee Wilson's competitors are all talented, their 800m PR's are between 2:04 and 2:06, so their PR's are all at least 3 or 4 seconds slower than Ajee Wilson's.

Ajee's management has said that they're really pleased with her conditioning after her fall training, so if she feels she's capable, it'll be interesting to see if she'll try for an AJR here (currently 2:01.8) or WJR (2:01.03) and take the pace from the start and not have to worry about contact, or if she'll run just to try to win.... Although Ajee's outdoor PR from last summer is 2:00.91, her indoor PR is a little slower at 2:04.13 from 2 years ago.


Armory Collegiate Invitational women's open 800 entries:

1 3025 Supino, Christina unattached
2 3014 Wilson, Heather NJ-NY TC
3 3026 Herrick, Stephanie Central Park TC
4 3015 Wilson, Ajee adidas
Blues
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 am

Women 800m Run Open
=====================================================================
Saturday (4:40 pm)
=====================================================================
National — 1:58.71, Nicole Teter (2002)
Armory — 1:58.71, Nicole Teter (2002)
Meet — 2:03.43, Frances Santin (2006)
=====================================================================
1 3025 Supino, Christina unattached
2 3014 Wilson, Heather NJ-NY TC
3 3026 Herrick, Stephanie Central Park TC
4 3015 Wilson, Ajee adidas


yes, it's a 4:40 pm starttime, so i presume anyone can catch the race on flotrack IF YOU WANT TO PAY FOR IT and my contact has hishs girlsrunning in the hs 4X200 at 5:12 and hs girls 4X4 at 8:10

so he should be able to give me his read on ajee run as he;ll be there live
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 am

with these 4 people in the race, i curious to see how ajee runs tomorrow

it doesnt appear to have the pacers reqired to make a run at the ajr

will ajee treat it as a rudisha like timetrial to make a run at a fast time

i'd like her to take a shot at it, but i;m not expecting her to get it
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Women 800m Run Open
=====================================================================
Saturday (4:40 pm)
=====================================================================
National — 1:58.71, Nicole Teter (2002)
Armory — 1:58.71, Nicole Teter (2002)
Meet — 2:03.43, Frances Santin (2006)
=====================================================================
Final
1 Wilson, Ajee' Adidas 2:05.54
2 Wilson, Heather NJ - NY TC 2:08.16
3 Supino, Christina Unattached 2:11.96
4 Douma, Alyssa Unattached 2:18.41
-- Herrick, Stephanie Central Park TC DNF
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:40 am

ajee 800 at armory over the weekend plus interview afterrace

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?vi ... ional-2013
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:47 pm

looking at millrose startlists

the womens 800 will be tough for ajee

Melissa Bishop, Nike (Canada)
Alysia Montano, Nike
Erica Moore, Nike
LaTavia Thomas, Nike
Ajee' Wilson, adidas
Phoebe Wright, Nike
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Blues » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 am

az2004 wrote:looking at millrose startlists

the womens 800 will be tough for ajee

Melissa Bishop, Nike (Canada)
Alysia Montano, Nike
Erica Moore, Nike
LaTavia Thomas, Nike
Ajee' Wilson, adidas
Phoebe Wright, Nike


The Millrose race is a 600... Ajee's recent 600m AJR is faster than the other runners in the race have ever run, but her 400 PR of 54.04 from last May is slower than the 400 PRs of the other athletes in the race except for Melissa Bishop.... Montano and Moore have 400 PRs around 1.5 to 2 seconds faster than Ajee Wilson's, although their 400m PRs are from over 2 years ago... This will be an interesting race.
Blues
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:24 am

you are totally correct, i just assumed it was a 800

ajee base speed is very good

should have realized from the mens entants borlee will not do a 800, 600 he would

nick symmonds at 600 seems short thoug h

54 from last year might be a tad slow, based on her current 600 time, sub 54 would be my current projection
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:35 am

It definitely is a 600. Don't think Ajee can handle Phoebe or Montano in an 800 right now, but in the 600 whoever breaks first has a huge advantage.
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:11 pm

gh wrote:What "3-4 events" can you possibly imagine her running at Florida State? Based on times so far, she's not fast enough to run the 4x4, and she's never tried a 1500. So that leaves her soloing in the 800.



gh ajee ran a 4:52 mile at penn relays..

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/248558 ... ampionship

she was 3-4 most of the race

i think you vastly undersestimate her 400 abilty

there are a good number of 4:52 entering college who grew into the event

i do agree 800 is her event, the last 200 of her 800 are better than decent

adidas pays 4 years f college at temple in kinesiology
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee' Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:37 pm

has anyone done the conversion what a 1:27.30 converts to a real 400meter race

i suspect her 54.05 pr for 400 would have gone down
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee' Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby az2004 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 am

in talking to a friend who is a big time lawyer at schnader harrison a major law firm in philly, he said he was interviewing nicole leace formerly of ucla, who is a law student at temple class of 2015
http://www.law.temple.edu/pdfs/esq/esq_winter2012.pdf

don't know if she will still compete, but nice to see she has a good career prospect
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Ajee' Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby highjumpfan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:03 am

With the power of hindsight, it looks like a brilliant decision for Ms. Wilson.
Having just watched her run in Stockholm, she seems to have the poise and ability of a much more seasoned athlete.
While not quite receiving the adoration and idolization of another stellar junior (See Ms. Cain) she has had a truly spectacular season and stepped up her game in a major way.
I don't believe their is an award for T&FN junior of the year, but if their was would she be the winner? It's a tough call, but makes the future of American Women's middle distance running that much more exciting.
Congratulations Ms. Wilson on a spectacular season, not just for a junior, but for any athlete of any age. I look forward to hearing of your accomplishments for years to come.
highjumpfan
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: right where I'm supposed to be.

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby notlef70 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:57 am

mal wrote:The days of high school, 4 years of college and a job are gone.

People say youth is wasted on the young. I think you have to follow your goals, when you're best able.

She can always go to college. Sure she may have to pay, but she can always go. She won't always run fast.


I CONCUR!!! Especially when your gift is so obvious!! She can always go back to college, but she can't always run fast!! :mrgreen:
notlef70
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Re: Ajee Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby JumboElliott » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:12 pm

gh wrote:Waaay bold move for somebody who didn't even make the OT final last year. My guess is she'll regret the lack of real-race experience that's about to become part of her life. Zackly when/where is she going to hone her actual racing skills?

Bump
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Ajee' Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby DentyCracker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:57 pm

gh do want your crow barbecued or roasted with a bit of Tabasco or Scotch Bonnet LOL
DentyCracker
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Jamaica

Re: Ajee' Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby gh » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:32 am

who hacked my account?!!!! :mrgreen:
gh
 
Posts: 46302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Ajee' Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Master Po » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:17 am

I will add myself to that "order of crow." Even though I did not post to that effect months ago, I agreed w gh's post back then. So, congratulations to those more astute than me (though that's setting the bar rather low...). And congratulations to Ms. Wilson for her great season!

Now that she's a seasoned 19yo professional, it's time for a little retrospective analysis of her career so far. Here are selected stats for her championship record since 2009 (15yo), her SBs, and her progression. It is impressive.

2009 (15 yo)
AAU JO 1st 2:07.08 SB

2010 (16 yo)
USATF Jr 1st
WJC 5th 2:04.18 SB

2011 (17 yo)
WY Trials 1st
WYC Gold 2:02.64 SB

2012 (18 yo)
USATF Jr 1st
USATF/OT SF
WJC Gold 2:00.91 SB

2013
USATF Indoor 1st
USATF 3rd
WC 6th 1:58.21 SB

One striking thing in these stats, for me, is that she ran her SB (so, each year, her PB) in the biggest championship race for her of that season. This suggests to me something about her capacity to rise to the occasion and race her best in such settings. Not all athletes have this capacity, and so I hope this interpretation of her record so far is true and continues to be true for her. It sure looks like that's the case so far. (Note: I'm sure someone could argue that in 2012 the USATF/OT meet was "bigger" than WJC, as success there would have put her in the OG, but I'm not arguing that because I didn't see her as someone who was going to make the USA OG team last year in any case. That meet was good for her experience, but she wasn't, imo, a contender for the team.)

And note this progression of improvement of SBs/PBs:

2009 (15)>2010 (16) = 2.90 second improvement
2010 (16)>2011 (17) = 1.54
2011 (17)>2012 (18) = 1.73
2012 (18)>2013 (19) = 2.70 [edit to correct miscalculation.]

Having observed her career throughout this period, I certainly have been aware of her accomplishments and her improvement, but looking at this, I think I should say that (somehow) I underestimated her, even if only a little bit. I did not imagine she would make the improvement she has made this year. I wish good health and another good season for her in 2014!
:)
Last edited by Master Po on Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Ajee' Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby 18.99s » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:53 am

Master Po wrote:2012 (18 yo)
WJC Gold 2:00.91 SB

2013
WC 6th 1:58.21 SB

2012 (18)>2013 (19) = 1.70


That should be 2.70.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Ajee' Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby cladthin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:35 am

Not having read that much of the thread I'm guessing a lot of concern was related to the questions about a young athlete not being in an obviously structured environment and with proper guidance that many collegiate program could provide. Without these factors, the success then is put squarely upon the shoulders of the athlete (managing of their talent, work ethic, maturity, etc.) and the guidance from their coach, agent/manager. Simply based upon her early career results, Wilson appears to have a very solid environment from which she can thrive-I think it was posted recently she is attending Temple this fall with her sister?
cladthin
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Right there.

Re: Ajee' Wilson Puts College On Hold

Postby Master Po » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:00 pm

18.99s wrote:
Master Po wrote:2012 (18 yo)
WJC Gold 2:00.91 SB

2013
WC 6th 1:58.21 SB

2012 (18)>2013 (19) = 1.70


That should be 2.70.


Oops. :oops: Too much higher mathematics too early in the morning. Now corrected. Thanks. :)
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Athleticsimaging, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 11 guests