iaaf worlds on tv

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: iaaf worlds on tv

Postby Al in NYC » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:38 am

wineturtle wrote:Universal goes on the Sports Package at 12:01 AM 1 Aug in the NY TimeWarner area-
I have no info on other areas of the USA except to say that the add date may vary from region to region and in some areas it might not be going on Sports Package.

I don't think this has actually happened though. At least not in Queens where I live.

I have the TWC sports package, and I can't find Universal Sports anywhere on my channel list. A call to TWC simply got me a spiel about how Univeral is now NBC Sports, and I've had that all along. Escalating to a supervisor got me someone who read me the list I already had of the channels I get with the sports package (which did not include Universal).

They are going to force me, and everyone else here, to do the unmentionable over the internet.
Al in NYC

Postby Marlow » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:05 am

Al in NYC wrote:They are going to force me, and everyone else here, to do the unmentionable over the internet.

It's hard for me to feel like a scofflaw when I can't access it any other way. I woulda paid the Universal fee like last year.
Marlow

Postby Bob Duncan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:25 am

Marlow wrote:It's hard for me to feel like a scofflaw when I can't access it any other way. I woulda paid the Universal fee like last year.

Ditto. I've been begging my provider to carry Universal ever since last summer when they pulled the rug out from under us in the midst of the Diamond League season. But maybe they'll add a premium sports package like one of the others had mentioned. I've looked at Dish Network's offerings and what they have is awesome. I just don't trust satellite for reliability and still need my high-speed Internet cable feed.

Given the price of a single ticket to an American sports event, I think most of us T&F fanatics would GLADLY pay several times over what Universal had been charging previously for access.

I found some web replays on YouTube for most of the DL meets on WorldSportGirls and WorldSportGirls2 but by London, they were banned in the US, thanks to Universal Sports.

So sadly it's kinda catch as catch can with this for many of us.
Bob Duncan

Postby gh » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:42 am

Marlow wrote:
Al in NYC wrote:They are going to force me, and everyone else here, to do the unmentionable over the internet.

It's hard for me to feel like a scofflaw when I can't access it any other way. I woulda paid the Universal fee like last year.

Let me see if I've got this right.

Macy's doesn't carry your favorite shirt, so you go over to Nieman-Marcus and shoplift one?
gh

Postby athleticshushmail » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:46 am

gh wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Macy's doesn't carry your favorite shirt, so you go over to Nieman-Marcus and shoplift one?

You can go to world class meets all the time. We are willing to pay any amount of money to watch the world championships, but can't, short of flying to Moscow. That's obviously not possible for anybody. I think the better analogy would be if Macy's didn't carry a shirt and there was a law that you couldn't buy a shirt from anywhere else in the United States.
athleticshushmail

Postby dvorakfan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:03 am

For those who don't get bothered by German (Austrian) commentary:

ORF Sport Plus (which brought Götzis multis to us all day) is an alternative:

http://www.onlinetv-stream.com/orf-sport-plus/

Schedule here:
http://tv.orf.at/program/orfsportplus/20130810/
(times are CET - subtract 6 hours for Eastern, 9 hours for Pacific time)

Maybe you can get anything from Eurosport too
dvorakfan

Postby Marlow » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:06 am

gh wrote:Let me see if I've got this right. Macy's doesn't carry your favorite shirt, so you go over to Nieman-Marcus and shoplift one?

Specious analogy.
I can't buy a song, so I listen to it on Youtube.
Marlow

Postby IBswed » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:18 am

athleticshushmail wrote:
gh wrote:
Marlow wrote:

You can go to world class meets all the time. We are willing to pay any amount of money to watch the world championships, but can't, short of flying to Moscow. That's obviously not possible for anybody. I think the better analogy would be if Macy's didn't carry a shirt and there was a law that you couldn't buy a shirt from anywhere else in the United States.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm so frustrated. Universal and Time Warner (My Cable company) inked a deal last month and I thought my problems were finally solved.But I've been calling the local TW in LA for weeks and they have no idea when (or if) they will start carrying Universal. It looks like I'll miss the world champs with the exception of the very limited NBC weekend shows. Universal Sports has a monopoly on Track and Field coverage but they are willing (or able) to sell it to very few people.
IBswed

Postby Pego » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:38 am

gh wrote:
Marlow wrote:

I'll offer you a more apt analogy.

Macy's has my favorite shirt, but will only sell it to a select group of customers that I do not qualify for and there is nothing I can do to change their policy. Nieman-Marcus offers me a free shirt as long as I am willing to be exposed to their ads for certain period of time. Just like the resorts that will host you for a weekend just to present their spiel to you.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. Carriers of these adds may infect my house with a virus and on occasion do so.
Pego

Postby wineturtle » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:37 am

Uni chan is now listed as 734 HD on my info grid and yesterday checked for tm71 and they were showing BMX bike jumping- at the end of that broadcast -I was not paying close attention -they said a T&F replay of some sort (US Nats maybe) was next -- so figured a done deal. Then they switched to a movie not T&F replay I just figured if I was a subscriber I would have gotten the announced T&F replay show and as a non subscriber the content on my info grid matched the non Sports Package subscriber offerings. I'll check again with my 'contact' but todays rep spent 15 minutes poking around saying he was born in Moscow ,was interested and would tune in to the meet because of his Russian connection .
He can not find the july 8th announcement on his site and going to the Universal web site and checking those who carry Universal sports show TW NY is not listed as one of them.
The only thing I can infer is that what ever plans the had and announced in early July changed since then.
I figure todays rep was happy to spend time with me to do a careful check because he'd get a break from listening to the complaints driven by TimeWarner NY dropping the local CBS channel in a $$$driven contract dispute.

I am going to watch on one of the internet feeds so I do not really care if Universal is on TWNY or not. I'll take one more run at my higher up the chain contact during the week but I'm now pretty sure the final answer is no Universal sports on NYC Time Warner -- the July 8th announcement was premature and UniversalHD is not actually the premium portion of Universal Sports Channel .
Does anyone have a link to or even a copy of that announcement from early July I'd like to be able to reference it when I call my contact--I really do not want to wear out my welcome with her. Using up anymore of my hard earned chips with her on something I do not care about is foolish.

Al in NYC wrote:
wineturtle wrote:Universal goes on the Sports Package at 12:01 AM 1 Aug in the NY TimeWarner area-
I have no info on other areas of the USA except to say that the add date may vary from region to region and in some areas it might not be going on Sports Package.

I don't think this has actually happened though. At least not in Queens where I live.

I have the TWC sports package, and I can't find Universal Sports anywhere on my channel list. A call to TWC simply got me a spiel about how Univeral is now NBC Sports, and I've had that all along. Escalating to a supervisor got me someone who read me the list I already had of the channels I get with the sports package (which did not include Universal).

They are going to force me, and everyone else here, to do the unmentionable over the internet.
wineturtle

Postby Al in NYC » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:19 am

gh wrote:
Marlow wrote:

What an absolutely insulting analogy. I would think you, of all people, would be on the side of what few rabid fans our sport actually has left.

We're more than willing to pay for the product. But between the IAAF, USATF, and NBC - the organizations that actually should have a vested interest in getting as many eyes as possible in front of the event - they can't manage to put the event on an outlet that most of us can watch, at any damn price. Short of spending thousands of dollars to fly to Moscow, what the hell choice do we have?
Al in NYC

Postby donley2 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:47 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:Let me see if I've got this right. Macy's doesn't carry your favorite shirt, so you go over to Nieman-Marcus and shoplift one?

Specious analogy.
I can't buy a song, so I listen to it on Youtube.

You lost me. You can buy it from another store (directv or dish network) in many cases. Now I understand not everyone can install a satellite dish. But you are a fan of a niche sport. That would be something that someone that is REALLY passionate about there sport might actually consider doing.
donley2

Postby Marlow » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:01 am

donley2 wrote:You lost me. You can buy it from another store (directv or dish network) in many cases. Now I understand not everyone can install a satellite dish. But you are a fan of a niche sport. That would be something that someone that is REALLY passionate about there sport might actually consider doing.

??!!
I pay $200/mo for phone/hi-speed internet/CATV from Comcast, who ostensibly says they carry the product I want. I am not going to switch to Dish just to watch track, albeit a consuming passion to me. It's really hard for me to be sympathetic to Comcast's loss in profit, if they don't even let me buy their wares.
As for gh's high moral stance, if I thought he's NEVER watched a copyrighted Youtube video, I'd admit he's a better person that I.
Marlow

Postby ldnbloke » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:11 am

It's really sad reading the above posts. Thankfully, in the UK we have Eurosport coverage which will only miss the first day's afternoon session, but we'll have the BBC to fall back on for that.
ldnbloke

Postby Bob Duncan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:40 am

Marlow wrote:I pay $200/mo for phone/hi-speed internet/CATV from Comcast, who ostensibly says they carry the product I want. I am not going to switch to Dish just to watch track, albeit a consuming passion to me. It's really hard for me to be sympathetic to Comcast's loss in profit, if they don't even let me buy their wares.

This is exactly my stance and situation as I am paying similar $$ to Mediacom. It is not easy just to "switch" and there are all kinds of risks and nuisances associated with changing.

I'm glad to see so many others have my level of frustration with all of this. The European feeds are a good option, however, assuming one is careful not to install specialized "players" with the aforementioned malware/adware.

I had good luck with the Watch Athletics feeds during the London meet, although the first night I had to endure the Turkish-language coverage. I was also watching via a public Wi-Fi which didn't block out the web stream, like some of them will do.
Bob Duncan

Postby Al in NYC » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:26 pm

wineturtle wrote:Uni chan is now listed as 734 HD on my info grid

Alas, that is Universal HD, an entertainment network from the Universal Studios people. They show old movies and TV show reruns. And also, a few sports, like the BMX you saw, as well as professional wrestling and off-road racing.

Here is a legal notice I found on the NYC Time Warner site. It looks like they are indeed going to eventually carry Universal Sports, just not soon enough for any of us who want to watch the Worlds'

Time Warner wrote:"On or about August 28, 2013 we will launch the following services: ... Universal Sports on ch. 448, Universal Sports HD on ch. 461 ... in Manhattan, Brookln and Queens, Universal Sports and Universal Sports HD will be part of our Sports Pass service offering."

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/about ... ernon.html

In my search I also saw some similar legal notices for other Time Warner areas, which showed some different dates for the addition of Universal Sports, but all after the WC. For instance, I think Southern California is scheduled to get it on Aug. 21.
Al in NYC

Postby Serafina8 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:49 pm

wineturtle wrote:Uni chan is now listed as 734 HD on my info grid and yesterday checked for tm71 and they were showing BMX bike jumping- at the end of that broadcast -I was not paying close attention -they said a T&F replay of some sort (US Nats maybe) was next -- so figured a done deal. Then they switched to a movie not T&F replay I just figured if I was a subscriber I would have gotten the announced T&F replay show and as a non subscriber the content on my info grid matched the non Sports Package subscriber offerings.I figure todays rep was happy to spend time with me to do a careful check because he'd get a break from listening to the complaints driven by TimeWarner NY dropping the local CBS channel in a $$$driven contract dispute.

...but I'm now pretty sure the final answer is no Universal sports on NYC Time Warner -- the July 8th announcement was premature and UniversalHD is not actually the premium portion of Universal Sports Channel .
Does anyone have a link to or even a copy of that announcement from early July I'd like to be able to reference it when I call my contact--I really do not want to wear out my welcome with her. Using up anymore of my hard earned chips with her on something I do not care about is foolish.

I went through the same process in trying to see whether Time Warner had started carrying Universal Sports where I could see it while in California and mistakenly got excited seeing "Universal HD." As "Al in NYC" just posted as I was writing this, it's just Universal Television, general entertainment out of the conglomerate, and is NOT Universal Sports. So you probably don't need to call in, as that channel (734) has nothing to do with the Universal Sports which is supposed to be available to Sports Pass subscribers.

If it helps, the article at this link outlines the deal:
http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/universal-sports-inks-time-warner-cable-carriage-tv-everywhere-pact/144319

I was going to suggest keeping us posted if it does appear in your lineup , but per Al's post, it looks like it won't be until August 28th :(
Serafina8

Postby AS » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:52 pm

For the first time I can recall there is no live coverage in Australia, only a 1-1.5hour highlights package each day on an obscure (but thankfully free) channel. Obviously have a reigning world and Olympic champion and some genuine medal chances wasn't enough to sway any network into thinking folks would tune in or advertisers would front any cash.

It's a real shame as the timezones aren't quite as awful for Australia as a Western Europe or Nth American meet (6 hours behind most of us so morning sessions are late afternoon, evening sessions midnight-3am).
AS

Postby Pego » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:13 am

donley2 wrote:But you are a fan of a niche sport. That would be something that someone that is REALLY passionate about there sport might actually consider doing.

Just to get Universal Sport channel would be a pretty lame reason to switch to a dish, don't you think?
Pego

Postby donley2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:13 am

Pego wrote:
donley2 wrote:But you are a fan of a niche sport. That would be something that someone that is REALLY passionate about there sport might actually consider doing.

Just to get Universal Sport channel would be a pretty lame reason to switch to a dish, don't you think?

But if I am a channel provider and out of 300 million people in the country exactly ZERO would be willing to change providers to get my channel, I have to wonder why I am producing the channel.
donley2

Postby Pego » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:45 am

donley2 wrote:
Pego wrote:

But if I am a channel provider and out of 300 million people in the country exactly ZERO would be willing to change providers to get my channel, I have to wonder why I am producing the channel.

How many single channels would prompt you to change providers? I may consider it for 5 or less.
Pego

Postby donley2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:20 am

Directv likely has hundreds of thousands of customers they would not otherwise have, simply because they have Directv Sunday Ticket, which gives access to out of market NFL games. Those folks may not only possibly switched providers, but pay several hundred bucks extra. As for me switching based on missing channels, the list would indeed be short, but it might actually include Universal Sports. I very very much prefer having my track and field waiting on my DVR to watch on my 50 inch screen whenever i get around to it, as oppposed to putting up with unreliable computer streams at all hours of the day and night.
donley2

Postby TN1965 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:58 am

Pego wrote:

I switched to DirecTV for the sole purpose of getting Universal Sports. And I pay extra for their Sports Pac for the same reason ( I do enjoy other sports on the channel , but I would not pay extra if not for T&F). Yes, the signal is less reliable (I have lost it a few times). But that's infinitely better than not having any coverage at all.

I still get my Internet and phone from Charter. And guess what? They agreed to offer me a two-service bundle at a lower rate.
TN1965

Postby Marlow » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:03 am

TN1965 wrote:I switched to DirecTV for the sole purpose of getting Universal Sports[/u]. And I pay extra for their Sports Pac for the same reason

Were I all alone in my existence, I bet I would have done that too, but the primary users of the CATV are my wife and 5 grandkids; their desires (aka channels/services) come first and DirecTV here has far less than Comcast.
Marlow

Postby TN1965 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:32 am

gh wrote:Macy's doesn't carry your favorite shirt, so you go over to Nieman-Marcus and shoplift one?

Macy's doesn't carry your favorite shirt. Nieman-Marcus does, but only in a package with pants, a jacket and shoes that you don't like. You like Macy's pants, jacket and shoes better, but they only sell them in a package with an ugly shirt you absolutely hate.

Your choices.

1. I buy a package from Nieman-Marcus, because I want that shirt so badly.

2. I buy a package from Macy's because I like the rest of package better.

3. I buy both packages and donate the stuffs I don't like.

If you have enough money, #3 is the best option. But most people don't have enough money.
TN1965

Postby donley2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:25 am

TN1965 wrote:
Pego wrote:

I switched to DirecTV for the sole purpose of getting Universal Sports. And I pay extra for their Sports Pac for the same reason ( I do enjoy other sports on the channel , but I would not pay extra if not for T&F).

Awesome the number of people willing to switch is not ZERO as I had feared.
donley2

Postby Al in NYC » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:42 am

The question is moot for me. My building is wired for Time Warner, and the board certainly wouldn't permit us to start hanging dishes off of the outside walls. In any event, my place is almost entirely north-facing, so it really wouldn't work anyway.

However, Time Warner does sell me "high-speed" (haha) internet, at a premium price...
Al in NYC

Postby br » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Regarding Time Warner Cable in So Cal...

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/about ... geles.html

On or after August 21, 2013, Universal Sports Network and Universal Sports Network HD will be made available to customers with subscription to TWC Sports Pass. Universal Sports Network and Universal Sports Network HD will require two-way capable digital cable ready equipment, such as a Time Warner Cable-provided set-top box or a CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Product (UDCP) used in conjunction with a Tuning Adapter. Other UDCPs may not be able to access these services without additional equipment, such as a set-top box.
br

Postby tm71 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:42 pm

br wrote:Regarding Time Warner Cable in So Cal...

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/about ... geles.html

On or after August 21, 2013, Universal Sports Network and Universal Sports Network HD will be made available to customers with subscription to TWC Sports Pass. Universal Sports Network and Universal Sports Network HD will require two-way capable digital cable ready equipment, such as a Time Warner Cable-provided set-top box or a CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Product (UDCP) used in conjunction with a Tuning Adapter. Other UDCPs may not be able to access these services without additional equipment, such as a set-top box.

Br thanks for the update. I am a time Warner subscriber in so cal like u. I have been calling them on and off for the last month with little success in getting any information. This simply comes 10 days too late for us ! i don't understand why they couldn't have done it on August 11th. This means either I have to switch to a satellite which makes no sense for a few days or be forced to watch on watch athletics or Eurosport live streaming with all it nuisances. As far as not watching live streaming that is total bunk. This is the type of attitude my HOA gives us here and sent us letter if we leave our garage doors open. I am not rebroadcasting or selling the event to any one so as far as I am concerned I am not doing anything wrong !
tm71

Postby tm71 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:46 pm

athleticshushmail wrote:
gh wrote:
Marlow wrote:

I agree ! Maybe gh can take us with him to Moscow and we can be his interns. It would cheaper than the triple cast cost NBC in 92 !
tm71

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Athletics Canada said there would soon be an announcement regarding the Worlds TV broadcast, so it's possible that this scofflaw will be watching an illegal foreign broadcast via my cable provider. Via CBC I have violated NBC's exclusive rights as US Olympic broadcaster in 6 of the last 7 Olympiads. I await my arrest.
Mighty Favog

Postby Marlow » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:I await my arrest.

It'd better be a big honkin' jail, cuz we'll all be there with you!
Marlow

Postby rsb2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:49 pm

The CBC thing is strange, no word for weeks/months/etc., and today AC says there may be coverage ? I hope there is, but I won't be holding my breath. The usual livestreams connecting to BBC and/or EuroSport will still work fine here in Canada.
rsb2

Postby James Fields » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:23 pm

az2004 wrote:
"good to hear about daily shows,, hope this is nbcsn, as they had some of the des moines stuff"
------------
Agreed, nbcsn has pleasantly surprised with track coverage.

I detect a potential problem with setting up video recorder for my favorite events, using the IAAF date and hour schedules. They show Moscow time and USA times with differential of 8 hours for USA Eastern time zone and 11 hours for USA Pacific time zone. But that could be off one hour if it's true as reported elsewhere that Moscow is NOT using "daylight savings time" (or "summer time" as it called in some nations) in 2013.
James Fields

Postby shivfan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 am

Weights&Shoes wrote:I hope there will be streams online of the BBC feed. The BEST when it comes to coverage, I'd pay a premium to have that channel on my TV.

Yes, as eldanielfire says, those of us who live in the UK are lucky with the TV coverage....

In addition to the BBC, there's also the Eurosport channel in the UK, which will be in English too. I tend to switch from one to the other. I like the BBC, but sometimes they do tend to focus a bit more on British athletes than Eurosport, which tends to offer a wider perspective.
shivfan

Postby DecFan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:43 am

James Fields wrote:
I detect a potential problem with setting up video recorder for my favorite events, using the IAAF date and hour schedules. They show Moscow time and USA times with differential of 8 hours for USA Eastern time zone and 11 hours for USA Pacific time zone. But that could be off one hour if it's true as reported elsewhere that Moscow is NOT using "daylight savings time" (or "summer time" as it called in some nations) in 2013.

The time difference is indeed 8 hours to US EDT and 11 hours to PDT.
DecFan

Postby Al in NYC » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 am

James Fields wrote:az2004 wrote:
"good to hear about daily shows,, hope this is nbcsn, as they had some of the des moines stuff"
------------
Agreed, nbcsn has pleasantly surprised with track coverage.

But keep in mind that the WC won't be on NBCSN. Instead, they will be showing deer hunting, fishing, year-old soccer games, and infomercials.
Al in NYC

Postby rsb2 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:09 pm

The Canadian television coverage has been confirmed as daily highlight shows on SportsNet, so that doesn't seem to include live action.
rsb2

Re: iaaf worlds on radio

Postby Chafford1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:06 am

If you can't receive BBC on line TV streaming in your country, you could try BBC Radio Five Live which will have comprehensive coverage. Commentators will include Donovan Bailey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediap ... erage.html

Radio 5 Live can be accessed on the web at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live
Chafford1

Postby dbirds » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:10 am

Does anyone if/how quickly Universalsports.com's daily feeds will be archived? I'd rather wake up at 7 on Sat am and watch the archived feeds to see the decathlon rather than waking up at 12:30 am cst to watch it Streaming live.
dbirds

PreviousNext