*** TriVia***


Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

*** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:20 pm

1. what school has had seven sub10.00ers among the alum?

2. what school has at least five Olympic sprint medalists, a great sprint tradition but no sub10.00ers among the alum?

3. three schools that ran three future NFLers on their 4x1 team?

4. the fastest footballer ever if we go with their 100m PR?

Good luck :D
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby KDFINE » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:59 pm

With about a minute's worth of thought I'm guessing that San Jose State could be the answer to number 2, and that Oregon is one of the answers to number 3.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby mcgato » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Wild guess for #1 of TCU
mcgato
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Hoboken

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby BillVol » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Dixon, your questions are "Brutal." :D
BillVol
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Jackaloupe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Gotta be USC, w/ Payton Jordan, Mel Patton (medal?), Jamaicans Don Quarrie & Lennox Miller, and Charlie Paddock. [CP has a Zoo in his name up the Central Coast.} I suspect Mike Larrabee (400m) doesn't count.
Jackaloupe
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:13 pm

KDFINE wrote:With about a minute's worth of thought I'm guessing that San Jose State could be the answer to number 2, and that Oregon is one of the answers to number 3.


Oregon is one of the three with Gaecther, Tarr and Renfro.

San Jose State is a great answer, who were their sprint Oly medalists?
Last edited by Dixon on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:14 pm

mcgato wrote:Wild guess for #1 of TCU


Bingo!!!!!

Now who are they?
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:15 pm

BillVol wrote:Dixon, your questions are "Brutal." :D


Totally :D
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Jackaloupe wrote:Gotta be USC, w/ Payton Jordan, Mel Patton (medal?), Jamaicans Don Quarrie & Lennox Miller, and Charlie Paddock. [CP has a Zoo in his name up the Central Coast.} I suspect Mike Larrabee (400m) doesn't count.


Bingo!

All those you mentioned and....Howard Drew, Frank Wykoff, Dave Morris, Clancy Edwards, James Sanford.

Funny thing is the fastest Trojan ever time wise is Jeff Laynes at 10.01.
Last edited by Dixon on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Jackaloupe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Forgot Frank Wyckoff, interesting story. And James Sanford I somehow didn't associate w/ USC, as I was back East during that time (70-95). San Jose, aka Speed City didn't really have that many, even counting Lee Evans. BTW, the Bud Winter SpeedStart for relays was a good solution while the short passing zone was in effect; not so necessary later. It consisted of a Football-like 3 Pt. stance where you could look back to spot the mark; wonder if you're still allowed to use tape to mark it (I doubt it).
Jackaloupe
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Jackaloupe wrote:Forgot Frank Wyckoff, interesting story. And James Sanford I somehow didn't associate w/ USC, as I was back East during that time (70-95). San Jose, aka Speed City didn't really have that many, even counting Lee Evans. BTW, the Bud Winter SpeedStart for relays was a good solution while the short passing zone was in effect; not so necessary later. It consisted of a Football-like 3 Pt. stance where you could look back to spot the mark; wonder if you're still allowed to use tape to mark it (I doubt it).


I don't know bro.."Speed City"...had this...

Jimmy Omegemi Nigerian Olympian
Dennis Johnson Jamaican Olympian (9.3 WR holder)

World record holders

Ray Norton
John Carlos
Tommie Smith
Ronnie Ray Smith

9.4 or faster

Wayne Herman
Bill Gaines
Kirk Clayton
Bobby Poynter

10.1

Sam Davis

A little later on we saw...

Vince Breddell 9.4
Ron Whitaker 10.0
Ken Thomas 10.0

Now if ya wanna add San Jose City

Ato Boldon
Millard Hampton

Pretty impressive
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Jackaloupe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Yikes, Forgot Dennis Johnson and RR Smith, and wasn't aware Bill Gaines attended SJS. Ran against Bobby Poynter (he of the upright/lean back posture); he smoked me on leadoff 220 at Fresno Relays w/ a mid-20s leg.
I stand well-corrected :cry:
Jackaloupe
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby mcgato » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:09 am

Dixon wrote:
mcgato wrote:Wild guess for #1 of TCU


Bingo!!!!!

Now who are they?
I could make random guesses, but I really don't know. I just remember that they had a bevy of sprinters from about 1995 to 2005, which is about the time that sub-10 became more common. I'm pretty sure that most are not from the US.
mcgato
 
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Hoboken

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:24 am

Jackaloupe wrote:Yikes, Forgot Dennis Johnson and RR Smith, and wasn't aware Bill Gaines attended SJS. Ran against Bobby Poynter (he of the upright/lean back posture); he smoked me on leadoff 220 at Fresno Relays w/ a mid-20s leg.
I stand well-corrected :cry:


That's not me trying to correct you bro :D I'm sure ya wanna know that stuff just like I do.

I'm not sure Gaines actually attended SJS,(anyone know?) I think he came out to run for the Santa Clara Valley Youth Village.

The team of...Sam Davis..Kirk Clayton..RR Smith...John Carlos..did win the NCAA. The best 4x1 team at SJS.

So I'm talkiing to a guy who ran against Bobby Poynter, how cool is that :D
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:27 am

mcgato wrote:
Dixon wrote:
mcgato wrote:Wild guess for #1 of TCU


Bingo!!!!!

Now who are they?
I could make random guesses, but I really don't know. I just remember that they had a bevy of sprinters from about 1995 to 2005, which is about the time that sub-10 became more common. I'm pretty sure that most are not from the US.


Yep, a lot of foreign sprinters.

Jamaicans

Ray Stewart
Percival Spencer
Michael Frater

St.Kitts

Kim Collins

USA

Jon Drummond
Doc Patton
Charles Silmon
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby cullman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 am

Dixon wrote:Oregon is one of the three with Gaecther, Tarr and Renfro.

Northwestern State with Victor Oatis, the late Joe Delaney and Mark Duper. Future NFLers Willie Gault. Herschel Walker and Ron Brown were in that race too.

Here is the race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ufMGFtBa9U
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby KDFINE » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:38 am

Off the top for SJS I came up with Evans, T. Smith, Carlos and R.R. Smith, and figured that here must have been someone else, maybe a woman relayist or something. But rising to Dixon's challenge I just googled and found that that is all there is, although Steele won the LJ, and Doehring and Powell were field event medalists.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby KDFINE » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:39 am

I think we might be looking at a male centered answer. There were probably 5 medalists among the Tennesee State Tigerbelles.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby bambam » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:27 am

BillVol wrote:Dixon, your questions are "Brutal." :D


Yes, he seems to have an Avante-gous over the rest of us
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:05 pm

cullman wrote:
Dixon wrote:Oregon is one of the three with Gaecther, Tarr and Renfro.

Northwestern State with Victor Oatis, the late Joe Delaney and Mark Duper. Future NFLers Willie Gault. Herschel Walker and Ron Brown were in that race too.

Here is the race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ufMGFtBa9U


Yep, that's two.

I wonder if any NCAA 4x1 ever had more NFLers to be in it?

I'd never seen that race, thanx man :D
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 pm

KDFINE wrote:I think we might be looking at a male centered answer. There were probably 5 medalists among the Tennesee State Tigerbelles.


I love women, ok :D But not really into the female side of sport.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm

OK, I need one more track/footballer 4x1 team. This one is pretty tough.

hint

Two running backs and one receiver.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:10 pm

bambam wrote:
BillVol wrote:Dixon, your questions are "Brutal." :D


Yes, he seems to have an Avante-gous over the rest of us


Hahahahaha :D
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby KDFINE » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:33 pm

I suspected that you were not considering the women's side. Tennesee State couldn't be the correct answer since they have more than five sprint medalists.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:44 pm

KDFINE wrote:Off the top for SJS I came up with Evans, T. Smith, Carlos and R.R. Smith, and figured that here must have been someone else, maybe a woman relayist or something. But rising to Dixon's challenge I just googled and found that that is all there is, although Steele won the LJ, and Doehring and Powell were field event medalists.


Has San Jose State had pole vault winners?
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 am

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
KDFINE wrote:Off the top for SJS I came up with Evans, T. Smith, Carlos and R.R. Smith, and figured that here must have been someone else, maybe a woman relayist or something. But rising to Dixon's challenge I just googled and found that that is all there is, although Steele won the LJ, and Doehring and Powell were field event medalists.


Has San Jose State had pole vault winners?


I did mention...sprint medalists.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Pego » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:10 am

Dixon wrote:OK, I need one more track/footballer 4x1 team. This one is pretty tough.

hint

Two running backs and one receiver.


Would it be Ohio St. with Nelloms and 3 football players, Robert Smith being one of them?
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Pego wrote:
Dixon wrote:OK, I need one more track/footballer 4x1 team. This one is pretty tough.

hint

Two running backs and one receiver.


Would it be Ohio St. with Nelloms and 3 football players, Robert Smith being one of them?


Nope!

There is a little twist involved here.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Ok the last footballer 4x1...

Florida A&M

Bob Paremore...Cards
Al Denson...Broncos
Bob Hayes...Cowboys

Alfred Austin who was beating Hayes as Jacksonville HSers the other member.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:06 pm

4. Demps or am I missing anyone?
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby smc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Dutra5 wrote:4. Demps or am I missing anyone?


I'm still thinking Hayes could be in there, although I'm not sure about the wind-assisted stuff between the two.
smc
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Dutra5 wrote:4. Demps or am I missing anyone?


There is a guy in the league right now with a faster PR than Demps.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:54 pm

smc wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:4. Demps or am I missing anyone?


I'm still thinking Hayes could be in there, although I'm not sure about the wind-assisted stuff between the two.


I never pay any attention to windy marks.

It's not Hayes,
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby smc » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Dixon wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:4. Demps or am I missing anyone?


There is a guy in the league right now with a faster PR than Demps.


Trindon? And was Gault faster than Demps?
smc
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Dixon wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:4. Demps or am I missing anyone?


There is a guy in the league right now with a faster PR than Demps.


Didn't realize Holliday ran 10 flat. I thought his PR was 10.06. Learn something new every day.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:31 pm

smc wrote:
Dixon wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:4. Demps or am I missing anyone?


There is a guy in the league right now with a faster PR than Demps.


Trindon? And was Gault faster than Demps?

Yep, Trindon Holliday.

If he or Demps were to run with the ball from the running back position (both were college backs) they'd be the fastest athlete to ever play running back in the NFL.

The fastest NFL back right now...Curtis Dickey, a 10.11 guy and the only running back in NFL history to be world ranked in the 100m.

Gault was a 10.10 guy. If we play era's I'd give the nod to Gault. If we simply go with PR's regardless of era, then it's Demps.

Hint.

I'm talking about a receiver.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby smc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:19 pm

Jacoby Ford?
smc
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dixon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:39 pm

smc wrote:Jacoby Ford?


Nope!

The guy is a sub10.00er.
Dixon
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby smc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:01 pm

You're killin' me, Smalls!
smc
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: *** TriVia***

Postby Dutra5 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Dixon wrote:
smc wrote:Jacoby Ford?


Nope!

The guy is a sub10.00er.


Jimmy Hines did play for the Fins.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests