Babe D and baseball throw

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Babe D and baseball throw

Postby no one » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:32 am

the 'unusual double' thread got me thinkin. Babe Dedrickson threw a baseball (standard size?) 296 feet in 1931 AAU (another time 272). Some 'research' on the inet states that in order to do that (throw a baseball 296) one must be able to throw between 80 and 90 mph. That is roughly the speed of (many) a major league pitcher. This, in my eyes, makes this (296 ft mark) a spectacular feat. Students of T&F have at least a peripheral awareness of Babe's dominance in women's sports, and versatility and her abilities to compete on some level with men.

So a question - was the baseball she threw 296 the standard 5 oz or do we know?
Last edited by no one on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
no one

Re: Babe D and baseball throw

Postby gh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Don't know about the Babe, but Tom Petranoff said he could stand at home plate in any major league park and throw a ball into the center-field seats. Memory is fuzzy, but he may have said that was from a stand, not with any runup.
gh

Postby dj » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:43 pm

no one wrote:Some 'research' on the inet states that in order to do that (throw a baseball 296) one must be able to throw between 80 and 90 mph. That is roughly the speed of (many) a major league pitcher.

"Every" MLB pitcher can reach at least 80mph. Even Jamey Moyer's "fast" ball was still in the low 80s at age 49. The top pitcher on an average high school can throw 80.
dj

Postby no one » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:44 pm

given that MLB pitchers can throw at least 80 mph that does not diminish Babe's mark. Would seem to magnify its impressiveness ... no? If 296 requires an 85 mph throw - doesn't seem too many female (athletes) could throw that hard OR that far. I could be wrong and I won't lose sleep over this but ...

There was a kid at the local HS a few years ago - who was clocked by scouts @ 100+ - was drafted but don't know if he made it to the bigs. Sidd Finch was his name ... nahhh
no one

Postby jhc68 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Unusual throwing doubles from the 1930's:

John Raitt (Broadway star of Oklahoma, Carousel, Pajama Game, etc. and father of Bonnie Raitt) won the shot at the California State HS meet in 1935 with a 55'5" put and also won the football throw with a still-standing meet record of 220' (they only threw the football 6 years at the State Meet.)

Actually pretty impressive marks at the time - not too many HS QBs now who can throw 73 yds. in 2013.

I only know this because my parents lived in the same apartment house in Fullerton with the Raitt family. Raitt went to Fullerton HS with tennis HOFamer Bobby Riggs, whose father was pastor of the church my family frequented. All this well before I was born but since it was my parents' only brush with celebrities it was oft repeated family lore.
jhc68