Which is worse- Home Run Derby Or ESPYs?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Which is worse- Home Run Derby Or ESPYs?

Postby HopStepJump » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:42 pm

Yes, it's that time of the year again in which two of the worst made-for-television sports-related events appear on ESPN sandwiched around the All-Star Game. The question is which of these events is worse. I understand "worse" is highly subjective, but for me I'm thinking that if you showed both on a continuous loop to a terrorist in captivity, which one would cause the terrorist to crack sooner? Please assume that the accompanying audio is at a loud but humane level.

Personally, I would rather watch three and a half hours of glorified batting practice over the self-indulgent awkwardness that is the ESPYs, but I'm thinking that the terrorist probably would succumb to the Home Run Derby mostly due to the home run calls of Chris Berman. It's kind of a toss-up either way, though.
HopStepJump

Re: Which is worse- Home Run Derby Or ESPYs?

Postby lonewolf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm

I dont even know whaat the ESPTs are but they could not be worse than the Home Run Derby.
I surfed through for one and a half batters..nuff fo rme.
lonewolf

Postby gh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:33 pm

horses for courses.... sure, it's a bit forced, and Berman is agonizingly cornball at times, but I make a point of tuning in every year. It's good mindless entertainment.

I see now that tales of Céspedes hitting home runs in BP at A's games while leaving the donut on the bat are probably true!
gh

Postby lonewolf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:15 am

I guess it was coincidence that the one batter I saw was Cespedes..17 for 27.. when I saw the next batter (left hand) hit the first four on the ground into shallow right field I awarded the contest to Cespedes and moved on...
lonewolf

Postby bad hammy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:50 am

I moved on after listening to Berman for about two minutes - what a load . . .
bad hammy

Postby DrJay » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Have never watched either, but I think the novelty of the home run derby probably lasted about a couple of years. Not too dissimilar from the old ABA All-Star Game dunk contest, except one gets more variety in dunks. One bat swing looks much like the next. Maybe they need to spice these things up....flaming bats doused in petrol, psychotic dogs nipping at the heels of the dunk-masters.
DrJay

Postby Bob Duncan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Why not combine track with baseball? Get a dunking booth and install various athletes who need to be punished for their doping sins, with baseball pitchers trying to put them into the water.
Bob Duncan

Postby DrJay » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:40 pm

Bob Duncan wrote:Why not combine track with baseball? Get a dunking booth and install various athletes who need to be punished for their doping sins, with baseball pitchers trying to put them into the water.

That's funny! But only water? How about vinegar, or Pine-Sol? Or drop them into a Port-O-Let.
DrJay

Postby HopStepJump » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:38 am

Bob Duncan wrote:Why not combine track with baseball? Get a dunking booth and install various athletes who need to be punished for their doping sins, with baseball pitchers trying to put them into the water.

Better yet, do it for charity. 50 bucks a beanbag. I'm getting in line for Marion Jones because the Bonds line is way too long.
HopStepJump

Postby Dutra5 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:12 pm

DrJay wrote:Have never watched either, but I think the novelty of the home run derby probably lasted about a couple of years. Not too dissimilar from the old ABA All-Star Game dunk contest, except one gets more variety in dunks. One bat swing looks much like the next. Maybe they need to spice these things up....flaming bats doused in petrol, psychotic dogs nipping at the heels of the dunk-masters.

I tend to agree. I always have it on but I can't say I really watch. The event during the All Star break I watch is the celebrity softball game which is always shown after the HR Derby but recorded the Sunday before. That just may have something to do with Jenny Finch than anything else however.
Dutra5

Postby KDFINE » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:25 pm

My vote is for the ESPY's as the stupidest, dumbest, needless self-promotion in the history of sport.
KDFINE

Postby jhc68 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:54 pm

ESPYs are way worse... at least in Home Run Derby there is SOMETHING (no matter how tedious) going on sometimes. ESPYs? Nothing happening, period.
jhc68

Postby Friar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Have never watched either,

Same.

I've never turned on FOX (other than to watch House). But I'm hopeful their sports network is slightly more professional than the nonsense coming out of Bristol.
Friar