The worst week in Track and Field

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

The worst week in Track and Field

Postby fasttrack85 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:29 am

Im baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!! After a weeks vacation all expenses paid courtesy of gh i return to some of the worse news track and field could ever get.

At first I thought VCB positive was the worst of the worse and funny enough just when I was getting over that bam. Tyson Sherone Asafa busted. Rudisha and Sanya injured. I am starting to feel like they might as well host this world champs at the local Boys and Girls club because this will be a pedestrian event. Bolt is going to have no challengers in the 100 or 200 and for the first time i honestly believe he was seriously vulnerable in both races. Tyson why o why did you have to go mess things up? I can deal with Sherone and Asafa since they werent going to deliver too much at worlds(cept for being on relay and maybe finalist in Sherone case). Oh yeah not to mention Sally Pearson is injured so the epic battle of the ages in the 100 hyrdles wont be happening this year. What can i look forward to now?
fasttrack85

Re: The worst week in Track and Field

Postby Marlow » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:40 am

Just as Lance's demise was Cycling's Worst Day/Week/Month/Year, I still feel Ben Johnson's Oly bust was our darkest hour. This past week was just the recurring after-shocks.
Marlow

Postby tm71 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 am

i agree. the high jump finals (both male and female) should be high quality. the men's 110 h very competitive. the middle distances (even the 800 with rudisha out) will provide a lot of drama, thrills, spills and excitement. overall most events will be competitive, but not at the highest level we have come to expect.
tm71

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 am

Worst week for North Americans maybe.

Things have been relatively sunny for Europeans.
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:39 am

I think it is pretty clear that historically Ben Johnson is the most shocking bust of all time. The Olympic 100m champion at the Olympics after the most hyped race of all time. Also the fact no high profile bust like it had ever happened before.
eldanielfire

Postby betterthanb4 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:54 am

Though recent occurrences will dampen a few events there is still plenty to look forward to in Moscow. The hurdles races as well as the Women's 100m & 200m will be highly competitive. Despite Rudisha's absence, the Men's 800m will still supply excitement. Kirani vs Merritt is always a treat to watch. The Jumps, Relays, and more will bring the Championships full circle.
betterthanb4

Postby Tuariki » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Not vague at all. It is very clear that he is making an accusation.
Tuariki

Postby don1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Yohan Blake is out as well.
don1

Postby CookyMonzta » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Marlow wrote:Just as Lance's demise was Cycling's Worst Day/Week/Month/Year, I still feel Ben Johnson's Oly bust was our darkest hour. This past week was just the recurring after-shocks.

I always thought the raid on BALCO and the re-testing that followed was the worst week (or month).
CookyMonzta

Postby booond » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:50 pm

CookyMonzta wrote:
Marlow wrote:Just as Lance's demise was Cycling's Worst Day/Week/Month/Year, I still feel Ben Johnson's Oly bust was our darkest hour. This past week was just the recurring after-shocks.

I always thought the raid on BALCO and the re-testing that followed was the worst week (or month).

Ben Johnson was the guy with the gun robbing the bank. Balco was Bernie Madoff.
booond

Postby aaronk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Actually, the day Pre died was a pretty dark day for our sport!! :(
aaronk

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:53 pm

aaronk wrote:Actually, the day Pre died was a pretty dark day for our sport!! :(

At the risk of Euro-hooting, I'd agree. That, and the announcement of the US boycott of the '80 Games.
kuha

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:55 pm

If we're veering beyond drugs now, the hostage deaths in Munich, 1972.
Last edited by Brian on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Postby Bob Duncan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Not to mention Lolo's little escapade in a bar. Light entertainment, I guess.
Bob Duncan

Postby kuha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Brian wrote:If we veering beyond drugs now, the hostage deaths in Munich, 1972.

Yes. I agree with this more than what I wrote above.
kuha

Postby skilmur78 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:43 pm

Perhaps Ben Johnson was right, everyone is doing it. Nothing has seemingly changed.

Although i can't help but feel for Tyson. i feel sorry for the backlash he is now going to have to endure for the rest of his life as being blacklisted as one of the many cheats within the sport. But, seriously does this sport have any credibility anymore. We have women's WR's, which simply because of a lack of evidence at the time, still stand in light of the fact that 30 years on no female athlete has been able to even remotely get close to breaking them, surely that fact alone is sufficient evidence that something was going on, or are we supposed to believe that that era just simply churned out freakish athletes.

Now in light of these recent events, the credibility of this sport, I think, unfortunately is at the point of no return.

I was looking so forward to watching Tyson v Usain and now im just left with an empty void and wonder whether or not it is worth being a spectator anymore. I mean can we really be certain that not all athletes are ingesting some type of perfromance enhancing stimulant, how do we really know?

Should there just be a blanket ban on all supplements, perhaps Tyson has innocently taken the banned substance, i certainly do not put him in the same category as a Ben Johnson, but a cheat is a cheat and for Tyson that is how he is going to be labeled.

I just hope his B Sample comes back negative, and that this was all a mistake, although im sure that is wishful thinking.
skilmur78

Postby Cooter Brown » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:55 am

I'm really liking Kim Collins' shot at a medal.
Cooter Brown

Postby toyracer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:29 am

Cooter Brown wrote:I'm really liking Kim Collins' shot at a medal.

The "wise heads" at SKNAAA have named their squad without Collins.

Further to that, every athlete going to the World Championships had to sign an agreement to give SKNAAA 20% of their earnings.
toyracer

Postby Cooter Brown » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:33 am

Ugh. I just read that. Collins would've been in the mix.
Cooter Brown

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 am

My instinctive reaction was Munich but on reflection, that was not a black eye on the sport itself.. I guess the worst drug related incident is whatever is current.
lonewolf

Postby zidan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:20 pm

skilmur78 wrote:Perhaps Ben Johnson was right, everyone is doing it. Nothing has seemingly changed.

Although i can't help but feel for Tyson. i feel sorry for the backlash he is now going to have to endure for the rest of his life as being blacklisted as one of the many cheats within the sport. But, seriously does this sport have any credibility anymore. We have women's WR's, which simply because of a lack of evidence at the time, still stand in light of the fact that 30 years on no female athlete has been able to even remotely get close to breaking them, surely that fact alone is sufficient evidence that something was going on, or are we supposed to believe that that era just simply churned out freakish athletes.

Now in light of these recent events, the credibility of this sport, I think, unfortunately is at the point of no return.

I was looking so forward to watching Tyson v Usain and now im just left with an empty void and wonder whether or not it is worth being a spectator anymore. I mean can we really be certain that not all athletes are ingesting some type of perfromance enhancing stimulant, how do we really know?

Should there just be a blanket ban on all supplements, perhaps Tyson has innocently taken the banned substance, i certainly do not put him in the same category as a Ben Johnson, but a cheat is a cheat and for Tyson that is how he is going to be labeled.

I just hope his B Sample comes back negative, and that this was all a mistake, although im sure that is wishful thinking.

.....And in the long history of drug testing, am being told only twice has the A & B samples contradicts.
zidan

Postby gh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:49 pm

in theory, nobody can really know that, because one assumes there are some (many?) cases in which proper confidentiality was maintained, and when the B came in negative, nobody ever heard about the A in the first place).

The most famous public B-negative must be Bernard Lagat's.
gh

Postby the spotter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:28 pm

gh wrote:The most famous public B-negative must be Bernard Lagat's.

Or Marion Jones's.
the spotter

Postby americantrackfan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:38 pm

the spotter wrote:

Or Marion Jones's.

???????? What does the marion jones comment mean? I always thought she never failed a test, just like lance...sorry if i'm missing something, i started following the sport in late 2007 when i was a high school freshman
americantrackfan

Postby tm71 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:00 pm

americantrackfan wrote:
the spotter wrote:

Or Marion Jones's.

???????? What does the marion jones comment mean? I always thought she never failed a test, just like lance...sorry if i'm missing something, i started following the sport in late 2007 when i was a high school freshman

u missed out on a lot then. go back on the dope board and read about her, trevor graham and the entire mess with BALCO. start with the older posts (page 865) and move forward in time.
tm71

Postby Dilan Esper » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Dilan Esper

Postby gh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 pm

And then Monaco happened! woo-hoo!
gh

Postby jamal00005 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 pm

gh wrote:And then Monaco happened! woo-hoo!

Its true Oh its true ......Lovely night of Athletics!!1
jamal00005