Fallout from doping positives

This Forum was created to divert traffic from Current Events at the height of the BALCO scandal. It comes and goes as "needed"; it's back to being locked.

Fallout from doping positives

Postby rsb2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:31 am

CBC (Canada) news covering, almost gleefully, the Gay/Powell/Simpson/etc. story. Just now, the talking head said "Another black eye for a sport that is rapidly running out of eyes", or something very similar to that. First time that CBC has mentioned our sport in quite a while.
rsb2

Re: Fallout from doping positives

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:35 am

That's the particularly galling thing.

I wouldn't mind if this was a sport that got wall to wall coverage. In that case the media has right to wallow in the drug busts. As it is they only show a real interest when there's a big scandal.

Having said that I'm beginning to agree. You can't blame the media just the twats who continue to fail tests.
Flumpy

Postby kuha » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:54 am

This could really go a long way toward killing off much of what LITTLE media still exists in the sport. T&FN and the Registar-Guard will probably always care, but how many other major papers or networks will? That interest has already been whittled way down in the last 30 years; it could go even further down, and quickly.
kuha

Postby user4 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 am

kuha wrote:This could really go a long way toward killing off much of what LITTLE media still exists in the sport. T&FN and the Registar-Guard will probably always care, but how many other major papers or networks will? That interest has already been whittled way down in the last 30 years; it could go even further down, and quickly.

an old saying...
right when you think you have hit rock bottom... the bottom falls out.
user4

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 pm

user4 wrote:
kuha wrote:This could really go a long way toward killing off much of what LITTLE media still exists in the sport. T&FN and the Registar-Guard will probably always care, but how many other major papers or networks will? That interest has already been whittled way down in the last 30 years; it could go even further down, and quickly.

an old saying...

Indeed. And now (maybe just for the time being, as I sulk and mope) maybe we can quit discussing how to get more of the public eye and turn our attention to saving the sport from complete oblivion (on the nat'l level; it will continue apace in HS and college).
Marlow

Postby tm71 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Marlow wrote:
user4 wrote:

an old saying...

Indeed. And now (maybe just for the time being, as I sulk and mope) maybe we can quit discussing how to get more of the public eye and turn our attention to saving the sport from complete oblivion (on the nat'l level; it will continue apace in HS and college).

maybe little melodramatic. however, it should be pointed out that it seems that the most consistenly effective way to get the sport in the public eye in the last 25 yrs has been from all the positive drug tests. btw i dont know what you mean by "saving the sport from oblivion". i hope that does not involve excercise in futility or something unrealistic such as expecting to have zero positive tests and no athlete to be using any substances.
tm71