High School Transfer Rules: Hannah Cunliffe

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: High School Transfer Rules: Hannah Cunliffe

Postby DJG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:58 am

gh wrote:Happy July 4 week to the board! You won't have to listen to these two snipers for the next week.

And this the last "mini-ban" for batonless, whose next decision to be rude (his specialty) comes with a life sentence.

GH, I'm sure the one week ban fit my crime, but just to prevent any repeat offense, what was my crime? Sniping at 7-sided-batonlessrelay-et al.?
DJG

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:38 am

I think it is something like, if someone is digging a shit hole it is not a good idea to jump in and help with the digging
Tuariki

Postby DJG » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:12 am

Tuariki wrote:I think it is something like, if someone is digging a shit hole it is not a good idea to jump in and help with the digging

I see, like if you get in a fight with a skunk you can't help smelling bad?
DJG

Postby bushop » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am

batonless relay wrote:Sports, for better or worse, are as much a part of the educational process as band, theater arts, or the glee club and since student don't lose their ability to participate at their new schools if they transfer when engaging in these activities then it should be the same for sports.

Agreed... I would also want to see roster size limits eliminated in the school system.
If something is beneficial then it needs to be available to all.
bushop

Postby batonless relay » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:25 am

bushop wrote:
batonless relay wrote:Sports, for better or worse, are as much a part of the educational process as band, theater arts, or the glee club and since student don't lose their ability to participate at their new schools if they transfer when engaging in these activities then it should be the same for sports.

Agreed... I would also want to see roster size limits eliminated in the school system.
If something is beneficial then it needs to be available to all.

I absolutely agree there should not be roster size limits! Did you know that the NFHS, in addition to having links on their site for officials and coaches, also has a link for Music Directors and Speech, Debate and Theatre directors? Yet how often do you find supporters of "transfer rules" attempting to deny trombonists or drummers from transferring? Usually wherever you find "transfer rules" you will it supported by parents obsessed with winning/losing and "coaches" who can't compete. Allowing kids to transfer would only expose their ineptitude.

Also, one of the biggest problems in sports is not the discrepancy in talent, but the discrepancy in activity leading up to joining a sport. The kids who are less developed are usually the ones who have played the least. There should be NO seasons. Kids should be allowed to go out for Track in September so that they can be more proficient when the season comes around. No more 3 month seasons; that does our sport, a sport of skill related disciplines, no good.
batonless relay

Postby Pego » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:54 am

batonless relay wrote:There should be NO seasons.

Yes, it makes no sense to suspend training in the off-season. While being a youth basketball coach in communist Czechoslovakia, we practiced year around except the summer recess (July-August).
Pego

Postby wolkristen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:36 pm

It appears that the issue is not whether or not Hannah Cunliffe is allowed to compete in Washington State high school sports, but rather which Washington State school she may compete for. The rules for homeschool students (as it is for all Washington State students) state the student must compete in their school of residence, unless they transfer to another school. If the whole family unit moves to a residence in a different school district/high school they may compete in the new school district/high school. If the student transfers to a new school district/high school without the whole family unit residing in the new school district/high school the student may not participate as a varsity athlete for one year. They must maintain continuous enrollment/attendance at the new school during that year. It may be that the issue in this case is a desire to transfer from Decatur High to Federal Way High, but only for the purpose of competing in sports as a homeschool student and not to actually attend the school. If a student is not enrolled in a school, at least half time, they may not participate in that school's sports program and must, instead, compete for the school of residence.
wolkristen

Postby wolkristen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:38 pm

wolkristen

Postby 18.99s » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:15 am

Cunliffe didn't compete in the World Youth 100m heats yesterday. She was replaced by Ariana Washington (the 3rd placer at the US youth trials), who ran 11.52 into a -1.9 wind to win her heat.

However, Cunliffe is still on the start list for tomorrow's 200m heats, along with Washington. Ky Westbrook who won both the 100m and 200m at the youth trials apparently opted out of the double.
18.99s

Postby batonless relay » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:43 am

wolkristen wrote:WIAA Eligibility Rules:
http://www.wiaa.com/ConDocs/Con1125/Eligibility.pdf

Thank you for the link to the rules, but the rules are only going to reflect the unfortunate attitudes of the people who made the rules - they have no moral or ethical weight beyond that. All transfer rules are bad rules. If a kid can be enrolled at a school then they should be able to participate in any, and every, activity at that school as long as they're academically ineligible. The people who believe that a kid should sit out because of a transfer anywhere for any reason are just busy-bodies and the laws need to be changed to eliminate their ability to restrict these kids ability to have an equal education experience to other kids.
batonless relay

Postby user4 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:52 pm

batonless relay wrote:

Thank you for the link to the rules, but the rules are only going to reflect the unfortunate attitudes of the people who made the rules - they have no moral or ethical weight beyond that. All transfer rules are bad rules. If a kid can be enrolled at a school then they should be able to participate in any, and every, activity at that school as long as they're academically ineligible. The people who believe that a kid should sit out because of a transfer anywhere for any reason are just busy-bodies and the laws need to be changed to eliminate their ability to restrict these kids ability to have an equal education experience to other kids.

OK, I dont want to be a busybody but I dont want to see high-school sports programs become a distraction from HS... so in the name of compromise, might you agree that a rule such as
... no more than 1 transfer every two years with the only exception being for families that change residence due to a job relocation / military service etc.
user4

Postby Marlow » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:48 pm

batonless relay wrote:they should be able to participate in any, and every, activity at that school as long as they're academically ineligible.

Ha! That's exactly how some D1 colleges feel!! :twisted:
Marlow

Postby batonless relay » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:54 am

user4 wrote:
batonless relay wrote:

OK, I dont want to be a busybody but I dont want to see high-school sports programs become a distraction from HS... so in the name of compromise, might you agree that a rule such as
... no more than 1 transfer every two years with the only exception being for families that change residence due to a job relocation / military service etc.

user4, I'm not trying to be difficult (ok, my normal level of difficult :lol: ) but the best I can do - coming down from unlimited transfer, mind you - is to say a maximum of 4 transfers over a 4 year period - which could mean twice in a year twice or once a year. Once every 2 years is a bit too limited, for me, even though I know that you also made a concession.

Marlow wrote:
batonless relay wrote:they should be able to participate in any, and every, activity at that school as long as they're academically ineligible.

Ha! That's exactly how some D1 colleges feel!! :twisted:

I think you know that I'm also for unlimited transfers at the collegiate level (and unlimited allegiance transfers in sports while I'm at it). As long as a student can be admitted to another school, then they should be allowed to be immediately eligible. More so than on the high school level, this WILL force schools to recruit athletes that fit their culture and values resulting in a better focus on academics. I'm probably being naive, but at least the greedy NCAA will lose a bit of its grip on the athletes.
batonless relay

Previous