Tameka Williams has been banned for three years

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Tameka Williams has been banned for three years

Postby 26mi235 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:31 am

St. Kitts and Nevis top sprinter Tameka Williams has been banned for three years.
Williams, who was pulled from her country’s Olympic team after admitting to substance use,...[the] ban was for the “Use or attempted use...”

So she gets a longer-than-typical 3 years for turning herself in? Is this her second offense or her federation being harsh as a warning?

http://trackalerts.com/2013/05/30/iaaf-bans-sprinter-williams-for-three-years/
26mi235

Re: Tameka Williams has been banned for three years

Postby Flumpy » Thu May 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Hopefully the latter.
Flumpy

Postby Blues » Fri May 31, 2013 6:56 am

I don't know why they gave her an extra year. Maybe it's possible that they considered the following as aggravating factors: 1) the fact that she admitted using the stuff over a period of time rather than just once, and 2) that she responded with the comment below after being sent home from London for admitting that she'd been injecting the veterinary blood booster PED "Blast Off Red". (Veterinary-only drugs are prohibited by WADA, despite the fact that substances in them may not have been added to the banned substance list since they aren't approved for human use.)

"Williams took to Facebook despite an agreement that the matter would be handled discreetly to avoid a media frenzy.

“Although results from a drug test in early June came back clean I was sent home due to false accusations. It's sad to see a 22-year-old’s dreams washed away by people who don't believe in me. W/ no chance of a second drug test to prove my innocence I was dismissed. SKN I am not sorry for working hard all year and I have never taken illegal substances to enhance my performance or any thereof.”

http://www.thestkittsnevisobserver.com/ ... liams.html
---
From IAAF Competition Rules:

Aggravating Circumstances which may Increase the Period of Ineligibility

6. If it is established in an individual case involving an anti-doping rule
violation other than violations under Rule 32.2(g) (Trafficking or Attempted Trafficking) and Rule 32.2(h) (Administration or Attempted Administration) that aggravating circumstances are present which justify the imposition of a period of Ineligibility greater than the standard sanction, then the period of Ineligibility otherwise applicable shall be increased up to a maximum of four (4) years unless the Athlete or other Person can prove to the comfortable satisfaction of the hearing panel that he did not knowingly commit the anti-doping rule violation.
(a) Examples of aggravating circumstances which may justify the imposition of a period of Ineligibility greater than the standard sanction are: the Athlete or other Person committed the anti- doping rule violation as part of a doping plan or scheme, either individually or involving a conspiracy or common enterprise to commit anti-doping rule violations; the Athlete or other Person used or possessed multiple Prohibited Substances or Prohibited Methods or used or possessed a Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method on multiple occasions; a normal individual would be likely to enjoy performance-enhancing effects of the anti-doping rule violation(s) beyond the otherwise applicable period of Ineligibility; the Athlete or other Person engaged in deceptive or obstructing conduct to avoid the detection or
adjudication of an anti-doping rule violation. For the avoidance of doubt, the examples of aggravating circumstances referred to above are not exclusive and other aggravating factors may also justify the imposition of a longer period of Ineligibility.
Blues

Postby Kerdi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 am

Blast off needs to be added to the WADA list as i have seen athletes that use it in Houston improve Tremendously in the past 2yrs.... Wrong is wrong no exceptions if it mks a horse and dog run faster ...what do you think it would do to a human
Kerdi

Postby Blues » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Kerdi wrote:Blast off needs to be added to the WADA list as i have seen athletes that use it in Houston improve Tremendously in the past 2yrs.... Wrong is wrong no exceptions if it mks a horse and dog run faster ...what do you think it would do to a human

Drugs that aren't approved for human use are not included by name on the WADA list, but are included in the "Non-Approved Substances" prohibited substances section. This is interesting evidence about the efficacy of the drug though, and hopefully WADA will test for the product's ingredients if they don't already...

NON-APPROVED SUBSTANCES

Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, substances approved only for veterinary use) is prohibited.
Blues