Any updates on Universal Sports??????

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Any updates on Universal Sports??????

Postby run4urlyfe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:36 am

Its been almost two years now since they were pulled from Verizon Fios and almost everywhere else. How can they possibly benefit from those actions???? I would actually be willing to pay for it monthly since no one else is showing HD Diamond League European meets on repeat.

What I don't get is why I have like 3 fishing channels about the same amount of hunting and water rafting channels and not one channel that I can count on to show sensible track coverage. Why does track get shitted on so badly. NBC sportsnetwork shows like every cycling meet in Europe in its entirety but then won't show big European track meets where the top stars are headlining. I dont know who is running the show but the IAAF needs to take matters into its own hands and ensure coverage for American viewers. It is no wonder track is as big as it is in Europe because it is always telivised. People can love what they dont see. Scanty Olympic coverage every four years is not going to be enough to capture enough new fans for the sport to grow to the levels of where upcoming sports like MMA are now. I have contacted Universal as well as as Fios. Both bobblehead corporations are unwilling to compromise enough to come to an agreement that is beneficial to the customer. At this point I think the only solution is for the IAAF to get involved in brokering the deal or maybe trying to get better coverage with a different network. What say you?
run4urlyfe

Re: Any updates on Universal Sports??????

Postby IBswed » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:16 am

I could not agree more. I have done everything to get Universal back on my Cable carrier. No luck.
When a hard core fan like me can't watch track...what chance is there for the average sports fan to see it? I think this is one of the most serious problems the sport has in this country. It feels almost like it's being kept away from us!
IBswed

Postby Walt Murphy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 am

Walt Murphy

Postby Bob Duncan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:21 am

IBswed wrote:I could not agree more. I have done everything to get Universal back on my Cable carrier. No luck.
When a hard core fan like me can't watch track...what chance is there for the average sports fan to see it? I think this is one of the most serious problems the sport has in this country. It feels almost like it's being kept away from us!

I feel your pain. I too have bitched and moaned about the situation off and on since last year and complained to my cable provider as well. The old webcast system worked quite well in the past and many of us were more than willing to ante up the most fee for a season's worth of meets.

Fortunately, WorldSportGirls on YouTube have posted ALL of the Diamond League meets, in addition to others like Ostrava. It is apparently the same video feed which is used by Universal Sports and it is posted to YouTube at 720p for great video resolution. While not live, they have the meets posted with about 36 hours or so and you get less tiling than with the live feed. The only problem is that the commentary is in Russian, but I have found this to be less of an issue than I had anticipated, as the graphics and results are still in English.
Bob Duncan