Any way to make winning the Diamond League more desirable?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Any way to make winning the Diamond League more desirable?

Postby jkhlkjhlkh. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Do you think there is any way to make winning the Diamond League more desireable? It would be great if it was an actually competitive league that the best in the world badly wanted to win. The top pole vaulters seem to want to win it badly. Discus, shotput, steeple, men's long jump, and women's 5k and 1500 (both hurdle events along with the 400m are also not that bad) are other events where winning it seems important to the very top athletes. but many other disciplines' top athletes don't really seem to care for the title. We all know the reasons, but is there any solution?
jkhlkjhlkh.

Re: Any way to make winning the Diamond League more desirabl

Postby gh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:18 pm

The list of overall DL winners for each year is hardly a hall of shame! Throw out the 200s (an orphan event no matter what you do) and you're hard pressed to find that the worlds' best haven't generally been in play.

MEN
100—Tyson Gay, Asafa Powell, Usain Bolt
200—Wallace Spearmon, Walter Dix, Nickel Ashmeade
400—Jeremy Wariner, Kirani James, Kevin Borlee
800—David Rudisha, Rudisha, Mohamed Aman
1500—Asbel Kiprop, Nixon Chepseba, Silas Kiplagat
Steeple—Paul Koech, Koech, Koech
5000—Imane Merga, Merga, Isiah Koech
110H—David Oliver, Dayron Robles, Aries Merritt
400H—Bershawn Jackson, Dai Greene, Javier Culson
HJ—Ivan Ukhov, Jesse Williams, Robbie Grabarz
PV—Renaud Lavillenie, Lavillenie, Lavillenie
LJ—Dwight Phillips, Mitchell Watt, Aleksandr Menkov
TJ—Teddy Tamgho, Phillips Idowu, Christian Taylor
SP—Christian Cantwell, Dylan Armstrong, Reese Hoffa
DT—Piotr Małachowski, Virgilius Alekna, Gerd Kanter
JT—Andreas Thorkildsen, Matthias de Zordo, Vítězslav Veselý

WOMEN
100—Carmelita Jeter, Jeter, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
200—Allyson Felix, Jeter, Charonda Williams
400—Allyson Felix, Amantle Montsho, Montsho
800—Janeth Jepkosgei, Jennifer Meadows, Pamela Jelimo
1500—Nancy Lagat, Morgan Uceny, Abeba Aregawi
Steeple—Milcah Chemos, Chemos, Chemos
5000—Vivian Cheruiyot, Cheruiyot, Cheruiyot
100H—Priscilla Lopes-Schliep, Danielle Carruthers, Dawn Harper
400H—Kaliese Spencer, Spencer, Spencer
HJ—Blanka Vlasić, Vlasić, Chaunté Lowe
PV—Fabiana Murer, Silke Spiegelburg, Spiegelburg
LJ—Brittney Reese, Reese, Yelena Sokolova
TJ—Yargelis Savigne, Olha Saladuha, Olga Rypakova
SP—Nadzeya Ostapchuk, Valerie Adams, Adams
DT—Yarelis Barrios, Barrios, Sandra Perković
JT—Barbora Špotáková, Christina Obergföll, Špotáková
gh

Postby croflash » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:58 pm

jkhlkjhlkh. wrote:Do you think there is any way to make winning the Diamond League more desireable? It would be great if it was an actually competitive league that the best in the world badly wanted to win. The top pole vaulters seem to want to win it badly. Discus, shotput, steeple, men's long jump, and women's 5k and 1500 (both hurdle events along with the 400m are also not that bad) are other events where winning it seems important to the very top athletes. but many other disciplines' top athletes don't really seem to care for the title. We all know the reasons, but is there any solution?

Yes, there is a very simple solution, but not an easy one. Find more and better sponsors...
croflash

Postby tm71 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Getting a wild card in the next worlds is a good incentive !
tm71

Postby jkhlkjhlkh. » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:01 am

These were all really good points, and wow, I didn't realize how distinguished the champions list was!
jkhlkjhlkh.

Postby ATK » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:03 am

tm71 wrote:Getting a wild card in the next worlds is a good incentive !

I assume this year is at a loss in that regard and the IAAF won't allow 3 wild cards into the 2015 games.
ATK

Postby gh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:16 am

??? of course the '13 winners get wild cards into '15, just as the '11 winners have WC for this year's meet. Why should there be a change? Or am I misundestanding your question?
gh

Postby ATK » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:43 am

gh wrote:??? of course the '13 winners get wild cards into '15, just as the '11 winners have WC for this year's meet. Why should there be a change? Or am I misundestanding your question?

I'm talking about the diamond league. So there is No WC in 2014. In 2015 the 2013 WC and the 2014 DL winner will have a wild card. What does the 2013 DL winner get?
ATK

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 am

This is important in countries where the event allows three quality entrants already. I would guess that Koech likes the inclusion of the DL champ, except he gets knocked out by the WC champ being Kenyan...
26mi235

Postby dj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:24 am

26mi235 wrote:

This is important in countries where the event allows three quality entrants already. I would guess that Koech likes the inclusion of the DL champ, except he gets knocked out by the WC champ being Kenyan...

Not necessarily. It's up to Kenya to decide which wild card they'll use.
dj

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:31 am

dj wrote:
26mi235 wrote:

Not necessarily. It's up to Kenya to decide which wild card they'll use.

I was referring to their penchant for NOT picking Koech, which was my point. The other contender for the 4th slot seems the more likely pick given the Kenyan federation (AK).
26mi235

Postby LopenUupunut » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 am

26mi235 wrote:I was referring to their penchant for NOT picking Koech, which was my point. The other contender for the 4th slot seems the more likely pick given the Kenyan federation (AK).
And given that Kemboi is genuinely in better form right now 8-)
LopenUupunut

Postby ATK » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:46 pm

ATK wrote:
gh wrote:??? of course the '13 winners get wild cards into '15, just as the '11 winners have WC for this year's meet. Why should there be a change? Or am I misundestanding your question?

I'm talking about the diamond league. So there is No WC in 2014. In 2015 the 2013 WC and the 2014 DL winner will have a wild card. What does the 2013 DL winner get?

Bump.

Anyone know if there is any wild card incentive for the Diamond Leauge winner this year? or they just lose out because there is no WC next year. Also I assume the same thing would apply to the year prior to the Olympics.
ATK

Postby gh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:52 pm

ATK wrote:

Color me slow! An excellent question. My guess would be that the answer is bupkus.

I'd say they could consider WC status for the '14 World Indoor, but they're trying to keep that one small already, and too many of the people wouldn't have an event anyway.
gh

Postby ATK » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Thinking about it, I guess that "kind of" brings some excitement to the off year now. Since the DL winner of the off year gets the wild card to the next World Championship, that could increase the likely hood that we see some more big names not taking the year "off" and racing more.
ATK

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:27 pm

ATK wrote:m talking about the diamond league. So there is No WC in 2014. In 2015 the 2013 WC and the 2014 DL winner will have a wild card. What does the 2013 DL winner get?

For each single Diamond League event at each meet, there is $30,000 in prize money ($10,000 to the winner). The overall DL winner in each event gets $40,000 in cash. That may be pocket change for Mr. Bolt, but I think for most, it's incentive enough to take the Diamond League seriously, with or without a wild card.
tandfman