Çakır-Alptekin positive? [second scandal erupts]

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Çakır-Alptekin positive?

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 am

Flumpy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Prior to joining him was Trevor Graham known as the coach of drug cheats?

I don't know when Gatlin joined him but by the time he was busted for a 2nd time everybody knew Graham as the coach of drug cheats.

eldanielfire wrote:In a similar way does Christine Ohuruoghu not deserve more criticism for having a coach who has other doping banned athletes?

That's like comparing Marion Jones to Bernice Williams.

mump boy wrote:
Prior to joining him was Trevor Graham known as the coach of drug cheats?

YES his athletes has been failing tests since 2000 and the Balco scandal which he was up to his neck in was from 03'/04 Gatlin was one of the last of his athletes to be caught.

In a similar way does Christine Ohuruoghu not deserve more criticism for having a coach who has other doping banned athletes?

Treveor GRaham had at least 8 athletes banned for drugs as well as tons of other evidence and testimony against him, including him being the one who sent a syringe of 'the clear' to authorities to implicate Conte. Lloyd, has one who was banned in very dubious circumstances http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callum_Priestley there is absolutely no comparison so stop trying to make one.

Don't be precious you too. There clearly is a comparision to make of their situations; Dope associated athletes with coaches who have other athletes who have doped. Don't be silly because you don't want to hear it, the shear number of dopers involved is irrelevant as I'm not comparing the scale of the issues. They are perfectly comparable, that doesn't mean they are exactly the same situations.
eldanielfire

Postby Flumpy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 am

They are not even remotely comparable. But then you know that already.

I really don't know why I bother responding to you.
Last edited by Flumpy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flumpy

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:56 am

mump boy wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:Why do you continuously make excuses for Ottey and Ohuruogu, but take such a hard line on other dopers, mump?

Firstly and formost because neither then have ever tested positive but they are TOTALLY different cases

I've never made an excuse for Merlene, there's nothing to excuse. I've never said i agree with what officially didn't happen. I admit i have a blind spot for Merlene, she was my favourite athlete from around 1985, I LOVE her. The glamour, the drama, the wins the loses. I'm a gay and she tragic diva like Judy Garland. I can't give up on 15 years of obsession because she officially didn't fail a test. It's as if Flump got prosecuted for murder and got off on a technicality, i wouldn't approve but i'd still love him. The other thing in Merlene's favour is that her 'failed' test was for Nandrolone, nobody got to the bottom of it but there was definitely something odd about the spate of Nadrolone positives in the late 90's.If she had been banned then of course i would have to put personal feelings aside and no matter i could no longer hold her in such reverence. I don't pretend this is a consistant position but it absolutely consistant with this boards rules that you are innocent unless convicted of an offence.

This ignores the fact she only got off on a technicality and then went to a coach who we now know was getting doping tops from another.....

As for TBO without going into the whole sorry saga, she never tested positive, was caught out by a new system that none of the athletes properly understood, there were loads of athletes on 2 missed tests and she was the unlucky one who got to 3 first. It could quite easily have been Becky Lynn or Mark Lewis Francis who had publically stated that they were on 2. One of MLF's was because his doorbell was broken so he didn't hear the testers and they won't phone to let you know they're waiting. At the time we had a system that was the most prohibitive in the world and Christine's mistake was the catalyst for all the other athletes to take it seriously and the authorities to actually make sure everyone is fully aware of the procedures not just sending out a letter and hoping that everyone has read it. There haven't been 3 missed tests since

Of course my opinion on this matter is coloured by the fact i come from the UK if she had been from BLR, TUR or US i probably would feel very differently.

Which is why in some debates you have to accept valid points when people make logical or reasonable statements. Ohuruoghu is one of my favourite all time athletes, I don't for a second think she has ever doped and is especially confident seeing as she took the test straight after missing it and the circumstances were terrible. However that doesn't mean her circumstances are void in discussion nor does it mean being a fan excuses rational debate on a message board.
eldanielfire

Postby Flumpy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:04 pm

But it does mean that when discussing the case people should at least try and understand the facts surrounding it.

Nobody is suggesting the situation shouldn't be discussed, but 7 years later when people are still getting the most basic facts wrong it's very hard to have a 'rational debate' .
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:21 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:Why do you continuously make excuses for Ottey and Ohuruogu, but take such a hard line on other dopers, mump?

Firstly and formost because neither then have ever tested positive but they are TOTALLY different cases

I've never made an excuse for Merlene, there's nothing to excuse. I've never said i agree with what officially didn't happen. I admit i have a blind spot for Merlene, she was my favourite athlete from around 1985, I LOVE her. The glamour, the drama, the wins the loses. I'm a gay and she tragic diva like Judy Garland. I can't give up on 15 years of obsession because she officially didn't fail a test. It's as if Flump got prosecuted for murder and got off on a technicality, i wouldn't approve but i'd still love him. The other thing in Merlene's favour is that her 'failed' test was for Nandrolone, nobody got to the bottom of it but there was definitely something odd about the spate of Nadrolone positives in the late 90's.If she had been banned then of course i would have to put personal feelings aside and no matter i could no longer hold her in such reverence. I don't pretend this is a consistant position but it absolutely consistant with this boards rules that you are innocent unless convicted of an offence.

This ignores the fact she only got off on a technicality and then went to a coach who we now know was getting doping tops from another.....

It doesn't ignore that fact !! it explicitly includes that fact :?
mump boy

Postby tandfman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:58 pm

On the front page, there's a link to a Q&A with Canadian Hilary Stellingwerff, who was in the same semi as Çakır-Alptekin in the London Olympics. Stellingwerff just missed making the final. Asked how she felt about things now, she was very careful to point out that Çakır-Alptekin has not been found to have committed a doping violation. I give this athlete a lot of credit for mentioning this before making any other comment about her situation.

The writer of the headline over that story, of course, leapt to the conclusion that Stellingwerff had been robbed of a place in the final by a doping runner. (To be sure, that may very well turn out to be the case, but as of now, the matter is still under review.)
tandfman

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Flumpy wrote:But it does mean that when discussing the case people should at least try and understand the facts surrounding it.

Nobody is suggesting the situation shouldn't be discussed, but 7 years later when people are still getting the most basic facts wrong it's very hard to have a 'rational debate' .

Isn't this rather reflective of you and one or two athletes from the other direction?
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:10 pm

mump boy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:

It is ignoring it. Acknowledging something exists while constantly circumventing it in your reasoning or approach is ignoring it. To ignore something you must be aware of it. You ruthlessly judge other athletes even unreasonably in doping but you specifically ignore it on your judgements on Ottey and start bringing up the drug she failed a test on was being failed by other athletes and so therefore is an excuse to reduce the suspicion.

If it isn't specific or selective ignoring of the fact even if you know of them, then it's certainly denial.
eldanielfire

Postby Flumpy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:21 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
Flumpy wrote:But it does mean that when discussing the case people should at least try and understand the facts surrounding it.

Isn't this rather reflective of you and one or two athletes from the other direction?

I have absolutely no idea what that means :?
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:05 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:

It is ignoring it. Acknowledging something exists while constantly circumventing it in your reasoning or approach is ignoring it. To ignore something you must be aware of it. You ruthlessly judge other athletes even unreasonably in doping but you specifically ignore it on your judgements on Ottey and start bringing up the drug she failed a test on was being failed by other athletes and so therefore is an excuse to reduce the suspicion.

If it isn't specific or selective ignoring of the fact even if you know of them, then it's certainly denial.

Maybe you have trouble reading or understanding simple english. So i'm not going to bother engaging anymore
mump boy

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:04 pm

mump boy wrote:
Maybe you have trouble reading or understanding simple english. So i'm not going to bother engaging anymore

Ignoring something means acknowledging it and acting in a way that doesn't. Acknowledging something doesn't mean you aren't ignoring it, despite the common perception.
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Flumpy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what that means :?

Your inability to accept facts about certain of your favourite athletes.
eldanielfire

Postby iain » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 am

Eldanielfire, did you actually bother reading the post you are attacking?
iain

Çakır-Alptekin positive?

Postby bobguild76 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 am

Yikes! I think mump boy and others have said it well in that (I am paraphrasing): most of us try to get the facts right in each case (clarity first, then opinion), we all are affected by whether we like the particular athlete in question (which may affect how we interpret the facts of each case), and we have differing views regarding 1st & 2nd offenses, what is or isn't a PED, etc.

But gh also said it well when he reminded us (I am again paraphrasing) that we have procedures and people in place to investigate and then adjudicate each situation. For me, the bottom line is this:

1. We have the system,
2. We have good people in place,
3. They have the authority to make appropriate decisions.

I hate the ongoing stain of PED use on the sport. This forum shows that we are all deeply offended by those (athletes, coaches, agents) who would cheat for glory. We are particularly galled by the fact that those who train and compete fairly don't always get a chance after the fact to receive the glory that should have been theirs. How I would have loved to see a jubilant Valerie Adams in London, whooping it up before thousands after a gold medal performance! She'll never get that ... maybe in Rio? :-)

But I'll take the passion and back & forth displayed on these pages over any other sport I know. T&F remains the purest of all sports, which is why we are so passionate about keeping it clean.
bobguild76

Postby mump boy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:12 pm

bobguild76 wrote:But I'll take the passion and back & forth displayed on these pages over any other sport I know. T&F remains the purest of all sports, which is why we are so passionate about keeping it clean.

:D :D :D
mump boy

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:11 pm

mump boy wrote:
bobguild76 wrote:But I'll take the passion and back & forth displayed on these pages over any other sport I know. T&F remains the purest of all sports, which is why we are so passionate about keeping it clean.

:D
#

:D
eldanielfire

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 pm

bobguild76 wrote: This forum shows that we are all deeply offended by those (athletes, coaches, agents) who would cheat for glory. We are particularly galled by the fact that those who train and compete fairly don't always get a chance after the fact to receive the glory that should have been theirs. How I would have loved to see a jubilant Valerie Adams in London, whooping it up before thousands after a gold medal performance! She'll never get that ... maybe in Rio? :-)

But I'll take the passion and back & forth displayed on these pages over any other sport I know. T&F remains the purest of all sports, which is why we are so passionate about keeping it clean.

While I agree with all of your post . . I can only take a part like this with the proverbial grain of salt. As with so many athletes we believe and want to be clean, you never know whether they are or not. How many times has someone who would have won or medaled only been found out later to have cheated.

Kind of like in cycling. Take away Lance's TDF titles. Who is the next truly worthy one? The guy in 153rd place?

This is not a knock on Adams. Just the sad state of sports in the world today. You just have to enjoy the competitions as best you can without worrying about stuff you can't control, and hope one day it will be cleaner than it is today.
odelltrclan

Postby kuha » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:27 pm

odelltrclan wrote:While I agree with all of your post . . I can only take a part like this with the proverbial grain of salt. As with so many athletes we believe and want to be clean, you never know whether they are or not. How many times has someone who would have won or medaled only been found out later to have cheated.

Kind of like in cycling. Take away Lance's TDF titles. Who is the next truly worthy one? The guy in 153rd place?

This is not a knock on Adams. Just the sad state of sports in the world today. You just have to enjoy the competitions as best you can without worrying about stuff you can't control, and hope one day it will be cleaner than it is today.

Yes, well said. The state of sports in the world today is exactly representative of the state of humanity, in general, in the world today. There is no separation there--sport does not represent some pristine realm of unalloyed goodness and truth. We may "want" one, but wanting and getting are two different things.
kuha

Postby bobguild76 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:07 pm

kuha wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:While I agree with all of your post . . I can only take a part like this with the proverbial grain of salt. As with so many athletes we believe and want to be clean, you never know whether they are or not. How many times has someone who would have won or medaled only been found out later to have cheated.

Yes, well said. The state of sports in the world today is exactly representative of the state of humanity, in general, in the world today. There is no separation there--sport does not represent some pristine realm of unalloyed goodness and truth. We may "want" one, but wanting and getting are two different things.

Well said by both of you.
bobguild76

Postby Pego » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:39 am

odelltrclan wrote:You just have to enjoy the competitions as best you can without worrying about stuff you can't control

Exactly. That is the only way one can enjoy it.
Pego

Postby Gebrucilassie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:10 pm

I cringe every time I see another "drug story" about track & field. Some friends, who know nothing about our beloved sport, ask me why I still care about a bunch of cheaters.It kills me because they are huge NFL, MLB and NBA fans. They say the records are bogus because "everyone cheats". Really?? IF the mainstream media covered drug issues in those leagues the same as T&F, Hank Aaron would still be the HR record holder. But they won't. It's much easier to throw mud at T&F. I am so pissed I could spit! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Gebrucilassie

Postby JumboElliott » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:51 pm

Even Hank Aaron and Willie Mays aren't spotless. They played in an era where they took massive quantities of amphetamines.
JumboElliott

Postby lionelp1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:31 pm

Is there not the deepest irony that the nation that developed, encouraged and believed in the Corinthian spirit of amateurism in the 19th Century and early part of the 20th Century was later laughed at as our of touch and really rather silly; the Brits of course. Now we have the fully fledged "winning is all, winning is everything, winning is the only thing" mentality of modern sport emanating from the American cultural norm, in the first instance, and your main sports are based on the idea of cheating is wholly necessary and our soccer shit is not far behind, as just two examples. as for the media.... a disgusting load of evil. :mrgreen:
lionelp1

Re: Cakir-Alptekin positive?

Postby andyjgt » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:08 am

gh wrote:
Hil-da wrote:
Daisy wrote:AW running with the story too.
Turkish Olympic gold medallist Asli Cakir Alptekin named as one of eight athletes to have returned positive doping tests

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/lon ... wCmwTk4.99

Are the other seven known?

http://www.cnnturk.com/2013/spor/03/22/ ... index.html
Three named so far - all big names

Specifically (in case your Turkish is bad :mrgreen: ) hurdler Nevin Yanıt & steepler Gülcan Mıngır...

Mıngır competed in Finland today at the Paavo Nurmi Games, running 9:45.80 to beat Galkina's 9:47.38, I guess she hasn't been banned then?
andyjgt

Postby Deuce » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Second doping scandal hits Turkey

Eight Turkish athletes tested positive for doping substances days after similar accusations were made regarding eight Turkish weightlifters, according to Anadolu Agency.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/second ... sCatID=371
Deuce

15 Turkish athletes test positive

Postby GDAWG » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Turkey’s doping scandal grows as 15 new athletes tested ‘positive’

Fifteen Turkish athletes tested positive for doping substances days after similar accusations were made regarding eight Turkish weightlifters, according to Anadolu Agency.

Five athletes competing in the European Team Championships had previously been accused of doping, and the list became longer today with additional names. Eşref Apak, Kaan Şencan, Elif Yıldırım, İsa Can, Umut Aday, Ummuhani Karaçadırlı, Fatih Eryıldırım and Narin Kahraman became the latest athletes to have tested positive for banned substances.

Turkish Athletics Federation chairman Mehmet Terzi admitted that 24 athletes were suspected with doping this year.

Terzi added that the federation’s battle with doping will continue, claiming that doping figures “will go minimum by September.”

Officials called on all athletes on the list to withdraw if they were currently competing in the Mediterranean Games.

If the athletes face punishment following further procedures, Turkey may lose points as a team, after landing in the ninth spot in the European Teams Championship.

The scandals regarding doping by Turkish athletes have been coming one after the other since Olympic champion Aslı Çakır Alptekin and European champion Nevin Yanıt also faced allegations of doping, though no official confirmation came regarding either of the athletes. The star athletes were also suspended from international competition by the International Association of Athletics Federation.

Eight weightlifters were left off the Turkish national squad ahead of the Mediterranean Games, which started June 20 in Mersin, after testing positive for doping.

http://www.hurriyetd...6&NewsCatID=371

What is going on in Turkey?
GDAWG

Re: 15 Turkish athletes test positive

Postby shivfan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:31 am

:shock:
shivfan

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:33 am

I think I posted this story and probably this link in another thread (European Cup?). By the way, this link does not work. Was there a link on the Home Page several days back?
26mi235

Postby br » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:51 am

26mi235 wrote:I think I posted this story and probably this link in another thread (European Cup?). By the way, this link does not work. Was there a link on the Home Page several days back?

Appeared on June 27.

Another Doping Scandal Hits Turkey
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/second ... sCatID=371
br

Re: Çakır-Alptekin positive? [second scandal erupts]

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Bloody heck! Turkey are starting to make the East German's look straight edge by comparison.
eldanielfire

Postby uakari » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:24 pm

GDAWG wrote:What is going on in Turkey?

you mean other than the wholesale buying of foreign athletes like bahrain and qatar?
uakari

Postby peach77 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:38 am

Up to 30 more Turkish athletes positive?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... itive.html

Not a massive shock to anyone, but nice to see the IAAF doing something about it...
peach77

Postby Flumpy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:31 am

I don't really see how they can ban Turkey from the WC's if they don't do the same to the host nation.
Flumpy

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:11 am

What, do you really think that. Or is your thinking that it is not consistent to toss Turkey and keep Russia, which is a little different?
26mi235

Postby MDelano » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:20 am

Hats off to the IAAF for taking such a pro-active role.
I'm impressed.
MDelano

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:31 am

Flumpy wrote:I don't really see how they can ban Turkey from the WC's if they don't do the same to the host nation.

Doesn't India have the most doping bans? They would have to go first.

The problem with a doping ban on nations (and I'm not against it) s the fact there is a massive inconsistency between doping procedure across nations. It wouldn't be hard at the moment for a to point to how East Africa gets a easy run. Also there would have to be a per capita arguments for some measure of fairness; Russia and the USA have large numbers of suspended athletes, but Jamaica has a higher number on a per capita basis by some way above both.

On top of that, given the recently Daily Mail article there is a large suggestion coaches are doping athletes and it is hard in some case to state the coaches are working for the federation, look how many UK athletes hook up with foreign coaches who have athletes from their own country. Look at the fair number of African sprinters or UK mid-distance runners in America colleges. If they are involved in doping while competing for a foreign body in the collegiate system can the federation take responsibility? Especially if they are yet to represent their country or are passed to represent two countries? Then there are those in two sports e.g. Track and NFL.
Last edited by eldanielfire on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
eldanielfire

Postby Tuariki » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:39 am

India may have the most but if you looked at it on a pro-rata population basis then Jamaica would have to be banned before India
Tuariki

Postby shivfan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:17 am

Tuariki wrote:India may have the most but if you looked at it on a pro-rata population basis then Jamaica would have to be banned before India

That's an unfair comparison....you have to look at how many athletes a country fields in athletics, and work out percentages accordingly. Ghana has a much larger population than Jamaica, but much less Ghanaian athletes are tested than Jamaicans.

Yanit gets a two-year ban, starting this month....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23870171
shivfan

Previous