Hi-O Silver!.... Stay Away!

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Hi-O Silver!.... Stay Away!

Postby gh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 pm

unfortunately, SF Chron is now proprietary to the nature where I can't provide links to f ull stories any more, but under fair-use guidlines, allow me to share a little bit of the review of the new Lone Ranger move...

<<"The Lone Ranger," produced by Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer, is an action-movie bloodbath for a children's audience. It has horse manure jokes for the kiddies, as well as scenes of an Indian tribe getting wiped out, a posse of rangers getting shot to death and an intimate interlude in which a man has his heart cut out. In the latter case, you don't actually see the heart being ripped from the body, just the sound of the cutting and hacking.

But put aside the notion that children shouldn't see this film. No one should. "The Lone Ranger" is a movie for the whole family ... to avoid. It represents 2 1/2 of the longest hours on record, a jumbled botch that is so confused in its purpose and so charmless in its effect that it must be seen to be believed, but better yet, no. Don't see it, don't believe it, not unless a case of restless leg syndrome sounds like a fun time at the movies....>>

Goes on to say that Depp isn't the problem.
gh

Re: Hi-Ho Silver!.... Stay Away!

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 pm

LOL!

Great thread title.

Your/their review doesn't surprise me; it's hard to make a movie about this character. Though I worshipped him and Roy Rogers (Gen X & Y: "Who?") when a very young boy, I will be among the first to admit it's a tough draw (pun intended).

[LR actually had one of the great origin backstories--the last surviving Ranger of an ambush; even had a great villain: The Cavendish Gang--but little was made of it afterwards.]

But outside of that, he's simply another of those boy scout heroes and it's tough to write anything decent unless the hero is somehow flawed--again, the same limiting problem with Superman and why the Marvel heroes succeed.

Periodically, attempts are made to take these characters in a new direction. Usually these attempts fail, alienating the hard-core fans.

That rumbling sound you hear is Clayton Moore rolling over.
Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:03 pm

One of my favorite The Far Side comics reads "The Lone Ranger, long since retired, makes an unpleasant discovery."
[LR, reading a book titled "Indian Dictionary":]

"Oh, here it is...'Kemo Sabe: Apache expression for a horse's rear end'...what the hey?..."

:]
Brian

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:53 am

Return with us now to the thrilling days of yesteryear. . . .The Lone Ranger rides again!

If, instead of going to the movies, you want to spend the rest of the month listening to the entire original Lone Ranger radio series, go right ahead:

http://www.dumb.com/oldtimeradio/radio/ ... er_A..html
http://www.dumb.com/oldtimeradio/radio/ ... er_B..html
tandfman

Postby gh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:39 am

speaking of the subject line, is it actually hi YO silver?

inquiring minds need to know

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... hp?t=25387
gh

Postby jeremyp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:12 am

gh wrote:unfortunately, SF Chron is now proprietary to the nature where I can't provide links to f ull stories any more, but under fair-use guidlines, allow me to share a little bit of the review of the new Lone Ranger move...

<<"The Lone Ranger," produced by Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer, is an action-movie bloodbath for a children's audience. It has horse manure jokes for the kiddies, as well as scenes of an Indian tribe getting wiped out, a posse of rangers getting shot to death and an intimate interlude in which a man has his heart cut out. In the latter case, you don't actually see the heart being ripped from the body, just the sound of the cutting and hacking.

But put aside the notion that children shouldn't see this film. No one should. "The Lone Ranger" is a movie for the whole family ... to avoid. It represents 2 1/2 of the longest hours on record, a jumbled botch that is so confused in its purpose and so charmless in its effect that it must be seen to be believed, but better yet, no. Don't see it, don't believe it, not unless a case of restless leg syndrome sounds like a fun time at the movies....>>

Goes on to say that Depp isn't the problem.

C'mon gh you only did this to get that great thread title in there. Admit it! I've made it a rule to avoid any Johnny Depp movie.
jeremyp

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:59 am

gh wrote:speaking of the subject line, is it actually hi YO silver?

FWIW, Wiki says yes, it's Hi-Yo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Ranger
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:31 am

They're both wrong - listen for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlOBqhlRtOI

It's Hi - O - Silver!!
Marlow

Postby Pego » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:44 am

jeremyp wrote:I've made it a rule to avoid any Johnny Depp movie.

What about Who is eating Gilbert Grape and Don Juan de Marco. I thought he was great there. Up your professional alley, both of them :wink: . I also loved Chocolat, with or without him.
Pego

Postby jeremyp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Pego wrote:
jeremyp wrote:I've made it a rule to avoid any Johnny Depp movie.

What about Who is eating Gilbert Grape and Don Juan de Marco. I thought he was great there. Up your professional alley, both of them :wink: . I also loved Chocolat, with or without him.

Those were in his pre Hollywood Star phase. He's too stuck in droll.
jeremyp

Postby gh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Marlow wrote:They're both wrong - listen for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlOBqhlRtOI

It's Hi - O - Silver!!

Without even listening, I think I agree with you. I went back and forth all night about Yo vs Ho, and definitively rejected the latter. It might be a Yo, but if so, the y is almost completely swallowed.

I know in my Yarisley Silva reference in the London Stadium last year I said "Yo" because of the alliteration with her name.
gh

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:11 pm

The trailers repulsed me enough that, even without warning, I would not be seeing this desecration of a classic.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:33 pm

gh wrote:<<"The Lone Ranger," produced by Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer, is an action-movie bloodbath for a children's audience. It has horse manure jokes for the kiddies, as well as scenes of an Indian tribe getting wiped out, a posse of rangers getting shot to death and an intimate interlude in which a man has his heart cut out. In the latter case, you don't actually see the heart being ripped from the body, just the sound of the cutting and hacking>>

Just saw it, and sadly I cannot disagree with the above assessment.
It's misnamed. It should either be Pirates of the Wild West or Cowboys of the Caribbean. It's a total rip-off of PotC, right down to the Johnny Depp character.
The true tragedy here is that while PotC made up new characters to be silly with, this one, as the post above attests, has disparaged an American icon.
The entire movie is a Hot Mess . . . tragedy (Native American genocide) . . . comedy (ridiculous end action scene) . . . parody . . . allegory . . . whatever.
While parts of it were truly funny and even moving, the rest was a 'desecration' of the Lone Ranger (like Superman, a true Boy Scout, in the best sense of the term) mythology.

I hate the Disneyification of a boyhood hero of mine. :evil:
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:43 pm

BTW, its Hi-0 Silver.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:51 pm

lonewolf wrote:BTW, its Hi-0 Silver.

a. I already posted that! :D
b. It's not Hi-0(zero) Silver; it's Hi-O(oh) Silver! :D :D
Marlow

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Stack of old comic books always has it as "Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!"

But if LR and Tonto were indulging in a little Peyote along the trail, it was probably more like "HIGH-Yo, Silver!"...

:]

Poor Tonto had to settle for "Get 'em up, Scout!"

That's what happens when the other guy carries the silver bullets.

[Real world: Someone would have figured out the silver bullets thing and followed LR around to dig up the bodies later.]
Last edited by Brian on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Dating myself horribly here, but the late comedian Lenny Bruce used to do a bit about how anyone who never waits around to be thanked for doing something shouldn't be trusted because they probably had some neurotic problem. He did voices of the Lone Ranger finally being thanked and becoming addicted to it:

[paraphrased]

"Come on, Mr. Townsman, just one more...please...just say it again...!"

"No! What the Hell's the matter with you, masked man? I've already SAID thanks six times! Get outta my town!"

Even made a cartoon short out of it, I believe. Probably got sued.
Brian

Postby gh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:33 pm

The Lenny Bruce routine morphed into an animated short called Thank You Mask Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_You_Mask_Man

As i recall, it used to show as part of a triple header with Bambi Meets Godzilla as the other short, and then King of Hearts as the main.
gh

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Brian wrote:Stack of old comic books always has it as "Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!"

That ought to settle it. The people who did the comic books undoubtedly were the same people who did the radio and tv shows, or at least had a license to use their intellectual property (which undoubtedly would have required text approval). They must have gotten it right.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:50 pm

tandfman wrote:The people who did the comic books undoubtedly were the same people who did the radio and tv shows,

Actually I would say that is RARELY the case. It was licensed to another medium, whose own people then ran with it.
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:19 pm

Yeah, I wrote that sentence, then realized it was more likely a license, so I added the reference to a license. Probably should have just erased and started from scratch.
tandfman

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Maybe I wrote that last message too quickly. It appears that the comic books were originally based on the Lone Ranger comic strip, which was originally written by Fran Striker (who was the original writer of the radio show).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Ranger#Comic_strip

So I might have been right to begin with.
tandfman

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:27 pm

tandfman wrote:
Brian wrote:Stack of old comic books always has it as "Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!"

That ought to settle it. The people who did the comic books undoubtedly were the same people who did the radio and tv shows, or at least had a license to use their intellectual property (which undoubtedly would have required text approval). They must have gotten it right.

Actually, I wrote that with the attitude "for what it's worth."

The "Hi-Yo" does go back to 1938 or 1940, though--before the comic books.

Google the term and have fun.
Brian

Postby tandfman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:07 am

The Wall Street Journal review is the second one in the piece linked here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 83178.html

It's pretty bad. The headline at the front of the section reads "Ho Hum, Silver"
tandfman

Postby gh » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:35 am

registration required
gh

Postby tandfman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:12 am

That's odd. I don't think I'm registered for the WSJ's online content. However, for those who have a similar problem with accessing, here's the beginning of the review:

>>Johnny Depp's Tonto wears a dead crow on his head in "The Lone Ranger." The star himself carries a dead movie on his shoulders.

It's not really a movie in the conventional sense of compelling characters doing interesting things during the course of a coherent story. There's no coherence, no consistent tone and not so much a story as a succession of dim or dissonant notions interrupted by spasmodic events, some of them spectacular enough to be exciting while they last. Nor is there any reason to care about the masked rider on the white stallion; he's mainly Tonto's foil, a handsome boob played blandly by Armie Hammer.<<
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:41 pm

tandfman wrote:<<he's mainly Tonto's foil, a handsome boob played blandly by Armie Hammer.<<

Also true. When, at the end, Armie utters the immortal words, "Hi-(Y/H)O Silver", Depp turns to him and deadpans, "Don't ever do that again." :evil:
Marlow

Re: Hi-O Silver!.... Stay Away!

Postby tandfman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Speaking of Tonto:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/sport ... rosse.html

Wonderful story about Harry J. Smith, a/k/a Jay Silverheels, who of course WAS Tonto to a generation of Lone Ranger fans.

Silverheels played Tonto with a dignity rarely accorded Indians on the screen, but he found the role demeaning and often expressed his frustration.

“He’s stupid,” Silverheels said of the character during a trip home to Six Nations in 1957. “The Lone Ranger treats him like some kind of servant, and this seems to suit Tonto fine.”
tandfman

Re: Hi-O Silver!.... Stay Away!

Postby user4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:48 am

you know to stay away when every variety and flavor of movie reviewer gives it a thumbs down.
user4