"What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

"What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby Marlow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:34 am

That has to be the most successful marketing slogan since Viagra's grave disclaimer: 'If the effect lasts more than 4 hours, consult a physician.'

It basically says: This place ain't called Sin City for nuttin. Come here and do whatever depraved, perverse, probably illegal thing you can think of and no one will snitch! We know you know that what you'll do is very, very wrong, and that's why you don't want anyone to know you did it, but that's OK, Sodom and Gomorrah were frowned upon also. No prob. When you leave here, do so with a clean conscience, because this is like home base in tag, no one can get you here."

It just strikes me as hilarious, ingenious and the ultimate in American hypocrisy. This is Madison Ave at its very best - American Exceptionalism. :D
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:12 pm

Marlow wrote:: 'If the effect lasts more than 4 hours, consult a physician.' /i]. :D


Call a doctor??? Heck, I would call a press conference. :D
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby Pego » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:09 pm

I love Viagra/Cialis commercials. How can you beat this?
"When you go deaf and blind, stop taking it." :lol:
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby catson52 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:35 pm

I recall a Jay Leno joke that it would cause difficulty in closing of the casket, if used too often.
catson52
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:22 am

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby jamal00005 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:37 pm

Pego wrote:I love Viagra/Cialis commercials. How can you beat this?
"When you go deaf and blind, stop taking it." :lol:

LMFAO!!!!!!
jamal00005
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby jhc68 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:18 am

Disclaimers in TV drug ads are always entertaining:

-- Be sure to tell your doctor if you have cancer !!!

-- If you have suicidal thoughts, call your doctor !!!

-- May cause unusual or unsettling dreams !!!

-- Men taking this drug should not be in close contact with women or children !!!

-- Watch for signs of early puberty in children !!!

-- Occasional fatal side-effects have been reported !!!

They go on and on.
jhc68
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:12 pm

"What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

This maxim of an aphorism should have applied to Suzy Favour :P
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby gh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:31 am

see front page
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby Pego » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:24 am

gh wrote:see front page


Sad. Without comment on merits of the decision :( .
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby schigh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 am

jhc68 wrote:Disclaimers in TV drug ads are always entertaining:

-- Be sure to tell your doctor if you have cancer !!!

-- If you have suicidal thoughts, call your doctor !!!

-- May cause unusual or unsettling dreams !!!

-- Men taking this drug should not be in close contact with women or children !!!

-- Watch for signs of early puberty in children !!!

-- Occasional fatal side-effects have been reported !!!

They go on and on.


Reminds me of a patient calling me one time concerned about the side effects listed for her medicine, "May cause constipation and diarrhea."
schigh
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby marknhj » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:25 am

I drove past a billboard in Vegas yesterday that said, "What Happens in Vegas.....God Knows", followed by the usual religious gibberish. I doubt that it will be particularly effective with the hordes of sinners in town!
marknhj
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby Marlow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 am

marknhj wrote:I doubt that it will be particularly effective with the hordes of sinners in town!

Which is Vegas's primary appeal: like-minded individuals! :D
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 pm

marknhj wrote:I drove past a billboard in Vegas yesterday that said, "What Happens in Vegas.....God Knows", followed by the usual religious gibberish. I doubt that it will be particularly effective with the hordes of sinners in town!


It actually has a pretty substantial religious population, including a significant Mormon population, if I remember it correctly.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby marknhj » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:42 am

26mi235 wrote:
marknhj wrote:I drove past a billboard in Vegas yesterday that said, "What Happens in Vegas.....God Knows", followed by the usual religious gibberish. I doubt that it will be particularly effective with the hordes of sinners in town!


It actually has a pretty substantial religious population, including a significant Mormon population, if I remember it correctly.


And your point is? Beyond your need to post incessantly about everything, coherency-be-damned, that is.
marknhj
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby Tuariki » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm

marknhj wrote:
26mi235 wrote:
marknhj wrote:I drove past a billboard in Vegas yesterday that said, "What Happens in Vegas.....God Knows", followed by the usual religious gibberish. I doubt that it will be particularly effective with the hordes of sinners in town!


It actually has a pretty substantial religious population, including a significant Mormon population, if I remember it correctly.


And your point is? Beyond your need to post incessantly about everything, coherency-be-damned, that is.

There will be a statistical basis for his comment hidden somewhere. Maybe it is statistically significant that if you have a significant Mormon population you will have a lot more sex driven sinners. Well, if that is the case I am off to Salt Lake City.
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby tjallen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Indeed.
At the time of that interview, she was doubling as a call girl going by the name “Kelly Lundy.”


http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co ... =obnetwork

Has this been in the big news media before now? I see above that some of you had heard or understood this story days or weeks ago. I just heard the news today, oh no.
tjallen
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: VA

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby gh » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:56 pm

gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"

Postby tjallen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:52 am

Thanks, gh. The scales fall from my eyes.
tjallen
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: VA


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests