Des Moines weather [+ site-hosting thoughts]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby Alan Shank » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 am

gh wrote:letter from subscriber in Cincinnati

<<I am a track fan that USATF doesn't know exists.

I want to watch every event including every preliminary throw, jump, and
run.>>

Hear, hear! That's one of the huge joys of a multi-day meet -- getting to see all the preliminary stuff and how an event unfolds over multiple rounds.

The huge drawback to TV coverage is that you miss so much. But if you're at the meet, you can, with help from your neighbors, see just about everything. Except, of course, when they hold events elsewhere.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby bruce3404 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:11 am

USATF had every opportunity to reschedule the long throws. Several of us wrote to them and two posts were featured on the front page of this website. I find it hard to imagine that not one single USATF official wasn't aware of fan dis-pleasure. Apparently, they don't care. I suggest everyone boycott USATF apparel and membership until they realize their organization and jobs exist because of fans of the sport.
bruce3404

Postby tm71 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:06 am

donley2 wrote:Across the board lower than Eugene in a larger facility (capacity stated at 14,500). Published numbers for Thur, Fri and Sat were 6567, 7622 and 8638.

poor, poor, poor. that is even worse than the attendance for the usatf meet in carson,ca in 2005 (meet i attended). in the last 15 yrs the usatf/OT meets have been held in eugene (6 times), sacramento (twice), stanford (twice), indy (twice), des moines (twice) and carson (once). assuming that sacto and carson are no longer considered that leaves the usatf with eugene, indy, des moines and stanford, indeed a very small rotation. this way eugene will ensure they will host the oly trials and most usatf and ncaa meets till the end of time !
tm71

Postby Alan Shank » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 am

tm71 wrote:
donley2 wrote:Across the board lower than Eugene in a larger facility (capacity stated at 14,500). Published numbers for Thur, Fri and Sat were 6567, 7622 and 8638.

poor, poor, poor. that is even worse than the attendance for the usatf meet in carson,ca in 2005 (meet i attended). in the last 15 yrs the usatf/OT meets have been held in eugene (6 times), sacramento (twice), stanford (twice), indy (twice), des moines (twice) and carson (once). assuming that sacto and carson are no longer considered that leaves the usatf with eugene, indy, des moines and stanford, indeed a very small rotation. this way eugene will ensure they will host the oly trials and most usatf and ncaa meets till the end of time !

When were they at Stanford?
Does Stanford still have a suitable facility?
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby gh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:40 am

Stanford was '02 and '03.

Same first-class facility still there, but with Vin having moved on in the interim, no driving force behind a hosting bid. (these things don't happen in a vacuum)
gh

Postby Alan Shank » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:50 am

gh wrote:Stanford was '02 and '03.

Same first-class facility still there, but with Vin having moved on in the interim, no driving force behind a hosting bid. (these things don't happen in a vacuum)

Hey, what about you???? >:-)
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby gh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:34 pm

another letter, this one from a Dallas resident:

<<As a long-time Track & Field fan, I have to say that after attending the Des Moines meet I can fully understand why so few attended. While the events themselves were exciting, the presentation was far from it. The stadium speaker system was often inaudible, the main scoreboard was basically unreadable and the small but readable scoreboard never presented the ongoing scores in any of the multis.In addition at least once each day the audience was deafened by a didplay of U.S. medalists in the 2012 Olympics with the volume cranked up so high it was difficult to converse with your neighbor.

Having purchased tickets right above the finish line, the USATF decisions to run the 100's
200's, and high hurdles in the opposite direction was galling. Finally, having all the throwing events other than the shot in another stadium did not add to this spectator's enjoyment.

I hope that the USATF will find another venue for future events.>>
gh

Postby tm71 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:51 pm

gh wrote:Stanford was '02 and '03.

i am sure there are always plenty of reasons behind those decisions. for example the facility is carson is very nice and the weather is conducive both for good performance in sprints and distance events (and i am not saying this because i live an hour and change from there).
the overall organization and infrastructure of the facility is reasonable and they would be able to accomodate the athletes and crowds of the 6-10 k range. however, there are many more issues beyond that including the general apathy and malaise in places like so california. if i remember correctly there was no promotion done for the 2005 meet so unless you were a track fan you did not know about it. there is a reason why eugene has been hosting so many meets recently(4/6 usatf/OT meets plus this year and next year they have the ncaa meet)
tm71

Postby Al in NYC » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 pm

bruce3404 wrote:There were a lot of non-local attendees. I don't pretend to know the percentages, but my guess is that less than half the attendance was local folks.

Does anyone have any picture of how much local promotion was done in Des Moines leading up to the meet?
Al in NYC

Postby bruce3404 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Al in NYC wrote:
bruce3404 wrote:There were a lot of non-local attendees. I don't pretend to know the percentages, but my guess is that less than half the attendance was local folks.

Does anyone have any picture of how much local promotion was done in Des Moines leading up to the meet?

I didn't see any newspaper ads, but they may have been placed before we tourists arrived. There were banners on many of the street light poles downtown, restaurants and bars all had little placards welcoming people to the meet and there was significant coverage on the local TV news, so it's hard to imagine anyone in Des Moines not being aware of the meet.
bruce3404

Postby bushop » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:44 pm

gh wrote:another letter, this one from a Dallas resident:
<<Having purchased tickets right above the finish line, the USATF decisions to run the 100's
200's, and high hurdles in the opposite direction was galling.>>

Not sure about this one... it's still about the larger audience... and everyone loves fast times. One wishes USATF would have a ticketing system in place to flip-flop... nut that's too much to ask of anyone.
bushop

Postby bruce3404 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:45 pm

bushop wrote:
gh wrote:another letter, this one from a Dallas resident:
<<Having purchased tickets right above the finish line, the USATF decisions to run the 100's
200's, and high hurdles in the opposite direction was galling.>>

Not sure about this one... it's still about the larger audience... and everyone loves fast times. One wishes USATF would have a ticketing system in place to flip-flop... nut that's too much to ask of anyone.

I'm all for fast times. We watched some events on Thursday before they switched around and the times were abysmal. Wasn't that big of a deal to just move down to the new finish line, since the stadium was far from sold out.
bruce3404

Postby gh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:53 pm

the paid-for-finish-tix is indeed a bitch (of course, my take is that those are about the worst seats in the house for seeing a meet as a whole; high up at about 50m is my choice).

Another important consideration: with a steady stream of headwinds, getting Q's pretty much went out the door. Yes, most/many of the sprints/hurdles ended up wind-aided, but some didn't, and the corresponding headwind may have made things rather difficult.

There was precedence for this, by the way; there was some direction-flopping at Stanford in '03.
gh

Postby donley2 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Being at the meet I can not really sympathize with the finish line gripe, but I did not purchase those seats. I did actually consider it after the first day, for purposes not of being on the finish line, but of shade from the press box, but they were not willing to convert the tickets I had already purchased. I will admit that it seemed really bad that the only way for me to read the results on the main scoreboard was with my binoculars. That was indeed depressing. I actually thought the stadium announcers did a decent job and the results boards were fairly consistently updated, so that if you were paying close attention to a specific field event you could keep up pretty well with what was transpiring.
donley2

Re: Des Moines weather [+ site-hosting thoughts]

Postby TN1965 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:44 am

The number looks inflated because many of the people don't stay there for all the events.
Some people leave early, others come in late, and all of them are counted in the attendance figure. That' was especially true about Thursday and Friday.
TN1965

Postby Alan Shank » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am

TN1965 wrote:The number looks inflated because many of the people don't stay there for all the events.
Some people leave early, others come in late, and all of them are counted in the attendance figure. That' was especially true about Thursday and Friday.

Is the figure released based on ticket sales or butts? >:-)
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby lime » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Al in NYC wrote:

I saw a couple of ads in the alternative weekly. Don't recall any in the Register (daily) although they gave plenty of coverage. Don't remember seeing any billboards, but they did have streetlight banners downtown.

I don't really watch much TV, but there seemed to be a fair amount of coverage by the local stations. I thought the coverage was sort of strange--- it seemed a little too focused on "we could get the Trials!" without really 1) people showing up is a big part of the equation of getting the trials and 2) promoting the event on its own merit (ie., come watch XX Olympians set a bunch of American records).

I had low expectations after the lackluster NCAA turnouts (which I regrettably skipped) but was still fairly disappointed. They drew 12k to both Friday sessions of the Relays + another sellout Friday this year. If they could have had 10k Friday-Sunday I don't think anyone would be that disappointed, but that obviously didn't happen. Granted it's hard to compare (relays are basically Drake's homecoming, relays have a ton of HS parents/family/friends, relays were sponsored by local grocer Hy-Vee this year), but there is obviously some interest and base to work with.

Even as a Drake alumnus and Des Moines resident, it's pretty tough to argue for Drake getting the trials--- or really, the Outdoors even--- unless you want to make the case that USATF should try to develop cities as track hot spots. In that regard, DSM is certainly ahead of many cities. I'm hoping that if DM can at least get into the rotation people will realize how great these events can be. (Keep in mind, DSM's history with hosting these is about five years since pre-renovations Drake wasn't capable).

Would hope they consider getting grass in the stadium again so they can move the javelin/discuss back into the stadium. I was at the outdoors Friday and Sunday and spent part of both days watching the throwing events. I'd guess that those pull a couple hundred of people out of the stadium.
lime

Postby TN1965 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:51 pm

I picked up a few free local publications from the hotel lobby.

"Annual Manual" does not have the USATF Championships listed under "Calendar of Events" but has NCAA Outdoor. Apparently, they have mistakenly printed the 2012 schedule :(

"City View" has the correct listing... but no story. Under the listing, "Catch Olympic gold medalists, world record holders and other elite athletes... including Justin Gatlin, Lolo Jones, Ashton Eaton, Aries Merritt and Jenn Suhr."

I could understand why the other four are included, but Gatlin? :roll: Why does he deserve mention?
TN1965

Postby bushop » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:23 pm

A bit off topic.

My friend just got engaged and is planning on a summer 2014 wedding.
He also is planning on competing at the 2014 USATF Champs... any ideas when where they'll be?

Is there a date that it will be no later than?
Last edited by bushop on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushop

Postby bruce3404 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Many are guessing Sacramento, but no official word yet.
bruce3404

Postby gh » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:04 pm

actually, strongest rumor I heard in Des Moines was Geneva, Ohio (Spire Institute).

Which I gather moves jumps out of the infield as well.
gh

Postby bruce3404 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:20 pm

gh wrote:actually, strongest rumor I heard in Des Moines was Geneva, Ohio (Spire Institute).

I heard that one, too. Somewhere about 40 miles from Cleveland. Good luck with hotel accommodations. A long RT from Cleveland every day.
bruce3404

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:23 am

The only possible good that could come of the USATF meet being at Spire is that nothing of note will ever be there again. Management and organization at their indoor meets this year was truly awful. I suspect (real) (paid) attendance would struggle to break 1,000.
Mighty Favog

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:36 am

Spire seemed to get good marks on the Big Ten Indoor, although I am not certain of that.
26mi235

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:00 am

Some communication I got from a Big Ten program was of extreme dissatisfaction. An official said "the Armory this ain't".
Mighty Favog

Postby gh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:39 am

Mighty Favog wrote:The only possible good that could come of the USATF meet being at Spire is that nothing of note will ever be there again. Management and organization at their indoor meets this year was truly awful. I suspect (real) (paid) attendance would struggle to break 1,000.

60-odd years ago many were hoping that another site in Ohio would never come anywhere near a Nationals.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... 2&p=357283
gh

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:41 am

Any parameters on the date?
No later than.... ?
bushop

Postby gh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:49 am

far as I know, the meet is pretty much graved in stone (other than OT years) as ending the 4th Sunday in June, which these days means always 2 weeks after the NCAA. There were years when they were on consecutive weeks, but 15-odd years ago I think it was Masback who mandated that the meet--for TV considerations--never go up against the U.S. Open, which I believe always ends he third Sunday in June. (I'm not 100% sure of my facts here)
gh

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:33 am

US Open always ends on Father's Day. So one week after that.

Sacramento is definitely putting in a bid. Site inspection is next week, according to UC Davis head coach Drew Wartenburg.
Mighty Favog

Postby Alan Shank » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:11 am

Mighty Favog wrote:US Open always ends on Father's Day. So one week after that.

Sacramento is definitely putting in a bid. Site inspection is next week, according to UC Davis head coach Drew Wartenburg.

Which site?? Hope it's not Sac State.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby DrJay » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 am

gh wrote:
Mighty Favog wrote:The only possible good that could come of the USATF meet being at Spire is that nothing of note will ever be there again. Management and organization at their indoor meets this year was truly awful. I suspect (real) (paid) attendance would struggle to break 1,000.

60-odd years ago many were hoping that another site in Ohio would never come anywhere near a Nationals.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... 2&p=357283

Wow! That's a good bit of history that everyone here should read. Sad to note that 18 years later, when Pre died, the athletes were still having to fight the AAU.
DrJay

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:41 am

bruce3404 wrote:
gh wrote:actually, strongest rumor I heard in Des Moines was Geneva, Ohio (Spire Institute).

I heard that one, too. Somewhere about 40 miles from Cleveland. Good luck with hotel accommodations. A long RT from Cleveland every day.

You're all welcome to stay with me at my sister's house in Shaker Heights.
Brian

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:53 am

Long story on Spire here:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/ ... /130709955

Not a word about the possibility of Spire's hosting next year's USATF Championships.
tandfman

Postby donley2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Just now happened upon a tidbit over at http://www.tracksuperfan.com/ that implied that significant blocks of seats at Des Moines were sold to companies but not actually used by anyone. That makes more sense compared to the number of people I actually saw in the stands.
donley2

Postby bruce3404 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:21 pm

donley2 wrote:Just now happened upon a tidbit over at http://www.tracksuperfan.com/ that implied that significant blocks of seats at Des Moines were sold to companies but not actually used by anyone. That makes more sense compared to the number of people I actually saw in the stands.

No doubt, but it is the practice of most sports teams to announce tickets sold rather than butts in seats and some venues will even count athletes, trainers, officials, etc as part of the attendance.
What's really sad is the corporate folks couldn't even give their tickets away (or simply chose not to). Would have been nice if a bunch of kids would have been able to use those seats.
bruce3404

Previous