Des Moines weather [+ site-hosting thoughts]


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby az2004 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:11 am

thought I heard the thunder strike there and the screen has severe weather alert, and it looks wet to me
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby tm71 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:18 am

if that persist and the schedule is off we can kiss tonight's telecast on espn good bye.
tm71
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby az2004 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:29 am

track will re open at 12:29 latest messasgr on the screen
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby az2004 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:43 am

resume compettion at 12:45 according to the pa annuncement
az2004
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby HopStepJump » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:08 am

tm71 wrote:if that persist and the schedule is off we can kiss tonight's telecast on espn good bye.


They didn't have to contest the Jr. women 200 semis because of multiple scratches, so they've already caught back up.
HopStepJump
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:19 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby DCSIGMA » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 am

Looks like the sun is coming out, but still windy..especially during the jr mens 200m
DCSIGMA
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby DCSIGMA » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:38 am

They seem to be back n schedule
DCSIGMA
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:43 pm

Snarky tweets of the day, posted minutes after the lightning delay:

1) Hayward Field, where there's been no weather delays since 2005.

2) Crowd evacuated into a VW van parked outside of Jethro's.

Yes, they both originated from Hayward faithful.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Today we got sprint times just like Eugene.
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:59 am

They will get a period of medium rain several hours from now. It might not interrupt too much and might keep the temps down a bit.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:43 am

bruce3404 wrote:Snarky tweets of the day, posted minutes after the lightning delay:
1) Hayward Field, where there's been no weather delays since 2005.


That's not true, I remember a very rainy NCAA MPV getting delayed a few years ago...
polevaultpower
 
Posts: 4521
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: A Temperate Island

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby bruce3404 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:34 pm

polevaultpower wrote:
bruce3404 wrote:Snarky tweets of the day, posted minutes after the lightning delay:
1) Hayward Field, where there's been no weather delays since 2005.


That's not true, I remember a very rainy NCAA MPV getting delayed a few years ago...


Don't shoot the messenger.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby donley2 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:47 pm

Anyone count the number of ARs, WLs and WC qualifiers achieved in these , "dreadful" conditions?
donley2
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby bruce3404 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:59 pm

donley2 wrote:Anyone count the number of ARs, WLs and WC qualifiers achieved in these , "dreadful" conditions?


The conditions haven't been dreadful at all (and I did recognize the italics). A 30 minute lightning delay meant nothing since no events were held up (it came right at the end of the deca LJ and ended about when the SP would have begun). Yes, it"s hot and humid, but not intolerably so (well, at least for fans). No doubt one of the most exciting meets ever. The attendance has been disappointing, but I'm not sure that's a weather issue or simply lack of local interest. I've been here three years in a row and would happily return.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby Half Miler » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:23 pm

donley2 wrote:Anyone count the number of ARs, WLs and WC qualifiers achieved in these , "dreadful" conditions?


4 ARs, 6 World-leading marks, many more WC qualifiers and we've still got 1 more day left!
Half Miler
 
Posts: 2792
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: infinite loupe

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby bruce3404 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Half Miler wrote:
donley2 wrote:Anyone count the number of ARs, WLs and WC qualifiers achieved in these , "dreadful" conditions?


4 ARs, 6 World-leading marks, many more WC qualifiers and we've still got 1 more day left!


I didn't think any day could equal yesterday. Then today bettered it. Dare we hope for a better day tomorrow? Wow! What a meet!
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Was Sat. the best day for US women in history, with 3 AR's and world leader in hj ?
The men aren't doing bad either !
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby JRM » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 am

How far behind is the schedule this morning? According to the webcast, the walks are delayed until 11am because of weather (originally supposed to start at 7!!). Can someone in the know comment?
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby j-a-m » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:31 am

If the USATF website has any information on the weather and possible delays, I wasn't able to find it.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby MJR » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:35 am

walks were combined, should not affect rest of meet.
MJR
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: on walkabout....

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby JRM » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:02 am

MJR wrote:walks were combined, should not affect rest of meet.


Combined walks? Uh oh. Jamboy will surely be outraged at this as well.
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby gm » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:30 am

JRM wrote:
MJR wrote:walks were combined, should not affect rest of meet.


Combined walks? Uh oh. Jamboy will surely be outraged at this as well.


Especially when he finds out they walked clockwise :wink:
gm
 
Posts: 4555
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Latest NWS Forecast As of 12:30PM

Postby bruce3404 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 am

Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 4pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 90. South southwest wind 13 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:24 am

The main rain event has already passed by. There is essentially nothing showing up on radar to the west, but some will eventually crop up due to the heat and humidity. However, it was only 74 and cloudy with a dew point of 63 degrees (pretty modest dew point for this time of year there).
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby Mighty Favog » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:48 am

200s will go the "normal" direction today.
Mighty Favog
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby Al in NYC » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:03 am

So sad how the meet was just ruined by the weather. Why, there were only a few American records and top 5 best performances in the world achieved.
Al in NYC
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby runforlife » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 am

Mighty Favog wrote: another of those races where everyone looks at each other for 20 laps and then decides to actually race?

There was a time when it was much, much worse than it is now. Just read Ron Daws' "The Self-Made Olympian" and see how miserable championship and trials races held in June and July were. Ugh.


That's what happened in the 5k as the field was slower than the women's race and watching each other for well over half of it.

Yes, that is a great book and shows that some things just don't change.
runforlife
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Drake Relays: finish line - row 1

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby runforlife » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:36 am

bruce3404 wrote: Wow! What a meet!

For sure, no doubt! The Drake organizers did it again as they always do and the athletes responded with tremendous efforts. Congratulations to all!!
runforlife
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Drake Relays: finish line - row 1

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby Al in NYC » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Great meet on the track and field, but what accounted for the scant attendance? I didn't expect sellouts, but, given Des Moines' T&F history with Drake, I expected a lot more people to show up than it looked like were there - at least from the vastly empty stands shown repeatedly on TV. I kept thinking that attendance would improve on Sunday, but it really didn't look much better at all.

Here in NYC promoting summer events can sometimes be problematic because so many people leave town this time of year, but I'm assuming that is less of a problem in Des Moines. I'm also assuming that the weather wasn't too much of a problem, since it's pretty much standard midwestern weather for this time of year. So what was the problem? Poor promotion in the local media? Ticket prices set too high? Something else?
Al in NYC
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby donley2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:23 pm

I have not seen the "official" attendance for Sunday, but I was there on Friday-Sunday and the Friday and Saturday numbers looked vastly inflated, especially Friday.
donley2
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby bushop » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:29 pm

donley2 wrote:I have not seen the "official" attendance for Sunday, but I was there on Friday-Sunday and the Friday and Saturday numbers looked vastly inflated, especially Friday.

How do the attendance numbers compare to Eugene?
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby donley2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Across the board lower than Eugene in a larger facility (capacity stated at 14,500). Published numbers for Thur, Fri and Sat were 6567, 7622 and 8638.
donley2
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby bruce3404 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 am

Al in NYC wrote:
Here in NYC promoting summer events can sometimes be problematic because so many people leave town this time of year, but I'm assuming that is less of a problem in Des Moines. I'm also assuming that the weather wasn't too much of a problem, since it's pretty much standard midwestern weather for this time of year. So what was the problem? Poor promotion in the local media? Ticket prices set too high? Something else?


Promoting track and field in NYC at any time of year is problematic since there's so little support; take the Jamaicans out of the DL meet and you have 1000 people, even with good weather. There's a reason the once proud Millrose Games moved out of the Garden and does anyone remember the one-off VISA series that replaced it? But getting to your question:
1) Ticket prices were very reasonable. Finish line reserved seats were $80 for the entire session.
2) I don't think the weather was that problematic; as you've mentioned, it wasn't atypical.
3) Don't equate the Drake Relays with anything else in Des Moines. From all I've heard, the Drake Relays is a social event that people attend year after year. In some ways, it reminds me a little of the Pre in Eugene, since that meet attracts a lot of folks who come to a meet once a year and are otherwise not very knowledgeable, though the percentage of non track fan attendees in Des Moines for the Relays is a lot greater.
4) There were a lot of non-local attendees. I don't pretend to know the percentages, but my guess is that less than half the attendance was local folks.
Last edited by bruce3404 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby gh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Al in NYC wrote:Great meet on the track and field, but what accounted for the scant attendance? I didn't expect sellouts, but, given Des Moines' T&F history with Drake, I expected a lot more people to show up than it looked like were there - at least from the vastly empty stands shown repeatedly on TV. I kept thinking that attendance would improve on Sunday, but it really didn't look much better at all. ...


Allow me to say what I've said here dozens of times over the years: the success of the Drake Relays (and the Penn Relays) does not equate to there being interest in the sport in either of those cities.

Those two meets are huge SOCIAL AFFAIRS for which the meet just happens to serve as a backdrop.

In Drake's case, the Relays is the showcase of alumni weekend, and thousands of former Bulldogs stream into town for a big celebration. And going to the meet is consiered part of it.

But an ordinary track meet, with virtually no local athletes to pull for? Hello empty seats.

Sad but true.
gh
 
Posts: 46313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby Alan Shank » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:31 pm

gh wrote:Allow me to say what I've said here dozens of times over the years: the success of the Drake Relays (and the Penn Relays) does not equate to there being interest in the sport in either of those cities.

Those two meets are huge SOCIAL AFFAIRS for which the meet just happens to serve as a backdrop.

In Drake's case, the Relays is the showcase of alumni weekend, and thousands of former Bulldogs stream into town for a big celebration. And going to the meet is consiered part of it.

But an ordinary track meet, with virtually no local athletes to pull for? Hello empty seats.

Sad but true,


which leads to the question: why do they keep going back there for NCAA and USATF meets from time to time? The poor support, threat of bad weather, including lightning that can totally screw up the schedule and inability to conduct the throws in the stadium would seem to be "three strikes" against them. Are there so few places able and willing to put on an NCAA or USATF championship?

I live near Sacramento, which put the Olympic Trials on twice and the NCAA 2 (or 3) years. As I recall, the attendance, especially in 2000, was quite good, but the stadium (Sacramento State's Hornet Stadium) was HORRIBLE for viewing, and there is always the possibility of 105+ heat. (A couple of weeks ago, several high schools had to postpone their graduation ceremonies when people started fainting and throwing up.) Usually, the Delta breeze cools things off after sundown, but when a high-pressure system comes in, no Delta breeze. They have recently refurbished the stadium at Sacramento City College, where the USATF meet was held sometime in the late 90's. It's a pretty good place to watch track, except that the long throws are on a grass field adjacent, visible from the stadium.

I attended two or three USATF (or whatever it was called back then) meets at UCLA in the mid-70's at Ducky Drake stadium.

What's the condition of the UC Berkeley stadium now? Didn't they must move the Golden West meet there?

Probably the best weather in California is in San Diego, where they held the AAU back in 1965, but is there any suitable venue there now?
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank
 
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: N38 40, W 121 52

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby gh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Alan Shank wrote:....
which leads to the question: why do they keep going back there for NCAA and USATF meets from time to time? The poor support, threat of bad weather, including lightning that can totally screw up the schedule and inability to conduct the throws in the stadium would seem to be "three strikes" against them. Are there so few places able and willing to put on an NCAA or USATF championship?....


For the 133rd time, yes, there are (very) few places willing and able to put either on.

People somehow assume that the NCAA and/or USATF say something like "we've got a million bucks for whomever wants to bid for the xxxx Championships," when in reality the reverse is true.

Somebody has to go to the alpha-soup people with the message "we've got everything in place, we wanna bid." (note "everything" = funding and managment structure)
gh
 
Posts: 46313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:08 pm

gh wrote:
Al in NYC wrote:Great meet on the track and field, but what accounted for the scant attendance? I didn't expect sellouts, but, given Des Moines' T&F history with Drake, I expected a lot more people to show up than it looked like were there - at least from the vastly empty stands shown repeatedly on TV. I kept thinking that attendance would improve on Sunday, but it really didn't look much better at all. ...


Allow me to say what I've said here dozens of times over the years: the success of the Drake Relays (and the Penn Relays) does not equate to there being interest in the sport in either of those cities.

Those two meets are huge SOCIAL AFFAIRS for which the meet just happens to serve as a backdrop.

In Drake's case, the Relays is the showcase of alumni weekend, and thousands of former Bulldogs stream into town for a big celebration. And going to the meet is consiered part of it.

But an ordinary track meet, with virtually no local athletes to pull for? Hello empty seats.

Sad but true.


Plus the high school division factor at Drake.

I've seen multiple buses pull up with people come to see their local relay teams on the big stage.
.
Brian
 
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby runforlife » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Alan Shank wrote:Woodland, CA, USA


Just because you're from CA, please don't disparage locations outside of the west.
runforlife
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Drake Relays: finish line - row 1

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby Alan Shank » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:55 pm

runforlife wrote:
Alan Shank wrote:Woodland, CA, USA


Just because you're from CA, please don't disparage locations outside of the west.


I don't think I've disparaged any locations at all.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank
 
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: N38 40, W 121 52

Re: Des Moines weather

Postby gh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:46 am

letter from subscriber in Cincinnati

<<I am a track fan that USATF doesn't know exists.

I want to watch every event including every preliminary throw, jump, and
run.

At Des Moines I had to give up watching the discus, hammer and javelin
because they were scheduled at the same time time as the track events and
were conducted outside the stadium even though there was time to schedule
the throws outside the running time schedule and not interfere with the
concurrent junior meet.

The schedule wan't adjusted for the Drake
configuration nor was it adjusted in Eugene for the hammer in 2008. The
2012 hammer events were conducted at Nike so fans flying in and not
having the time to drive there would be sure to miss them.

A sidebar issue is the scheduling of 4 field events along with the
running events on Sunday. There are actual fans that want to follow a
single field event with its ebb and flow and record marks.

Amanda Bingson, setting a new AR in Des Moines, commented when asked
about the crowd at the hammer (in a stadium interview) said "there were
lots of parents". How sad.>>
gh
 
Posts: 46313
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaronk, Exabot [Bot], GeorgiaFan1, gktrack, JumboElliott, lonewolf, sjm1368 and 12 guests