A Very Bright Light

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

A Very Bright Light

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:19 am

Happy 43rd birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion with two Olympic gold medals.

Our birthday athlete won the first of two Olympic gold medals on a Wednesday with an Olympic record.

Three days later, this person won the second Olympic gold medal (this time with a world record).

All of this happened with our birthday athlete at the age of 22.

The father of this athlete was a basketball player.

Sutter Middle School is where our birthday person went to school before high school.

This champion graduated from the same high school that I did, however he graduated almost a quarter of a century after I did.

Don't concern yourself with the hurdles when trying to come up with the athlete's name.

Name this quick Olympic champion.
DoubleRBar

Re: A Very Bright Light

Postby mcgato » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:46 am

So the 1992 Olympics, and a WR for the 2nd medal. That would point to the men's 400m and the WR 4x4 US team. I think that Quincy Watts won the 400 that year. And that seems to match the title, so I'll go with that.
mcgato

Postby DoubleRBar » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:51 am

You nailed it, mcgato. Happy 43rd birthday today to Quincy Watts. Yes, Quincy did win the 400 in Barcelona and he did run the second leg (43.1) on the winning four by 400 relay team.
DoubleRBar

Postby no one » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:04 pm

ha - Sutter Jr Hi just down the street from where I lived ... Taft a ways down the road ~ 4 or 55. He must have moved away from Birmingham or Cleveland or Canoga Park boundaries. He was long after my time however and a great (obviously) athlete/competitor. Wish I could have seen him run
no one