Bolt at Roland Garros

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Bolt at Roland Garros

Postby catson52 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 am

I haven't been following tennis the last few years. Interesting to see Usain handing over the winner's trophy to Rafe.
catson52

Re: Bolt at Roland Garros

Postby tandfman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:15 pm

I assume Bolt committed to this appearance before he lost to Gatlin the other night.

I don't want to second guess his coach or his manager, but I really have to wonder if he shouldn't be cutting out stuff like that at this point and going back home to train really seriously. Watching a tennis match in Paris is a nice way to spend an afternoon, but it's not going to help him get to the top of the podium in Moscow.
tandfman

Postby tandfman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:15 pm

I assume Bolt committed to this appearance before he lost to Gatlin the other night.

I don't want to second guess his coach or his manager, but I really have to wonder if he shouldn't be cutting out stuff like that at this point and going back home to train really seriously. Watching a tennis match in Paris is a nice way to spend an afternoon, but it's not going to help him get to the top of the podium in Moscow.
tandfman

Postby Jim Rorick » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:26 pm

19.79 at Oslo. Maybe the pep talk from Rafa helped.
Jim Rorick

Postby KevinM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:52 am

tandfman wrote:Watching a tennis match in Paris is a nice way to spend an afternoon, but it's not going to help him get to the top of the podium in Moscow.

Why would it help or hurt him? The amount of judgement that seems to go on with observers of Bolt's "behavior" is absurd.
KevinM

Postby tandfman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:03 pm

An afternoon at a tennis match is meaningless. But if you look at all of appearances that Bolt has made since the Olympics, you see a pattern involving a great deal of international travel and lots of time and effort engaged in activities promoting himself and his brand.

To be sure, nobody sends camera crews and journos to cover his routine workouts, which I'm sure he does. But it's hard to imagine that he can bring the maximum level of mental and physical intensity to bear upon the task of preparing for the World Championships when he's running around all the time being a celebrity.

Is he making good money from all of these appearances? I don't doubt that he is. Will he get away with indulging in all of these distractions and win the 100/200 double in Moscow? That remains to be seen. He certainly has the talent to be at something less than 100% and still win races and run fast times. But at some point, he could find himself losing to runners (like Blake and Gay) who are almost as talented and who spend more time at the job. Will that be in Moscow? We'll see. I wish him well--I certainly like to see all athletes competing at their best. But I am concerned that we may be seeing him at something less than his best when it counts this year.
tandfman