French Open

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

French Open

Postby bambam » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:06 am

Nadal - nuff said
Serena - WOW
bambam

Re: French Open

Postby bambam » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:35 am

Nadal - WOW also
bambam

Postby nevetsllim » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:13 pm

If it wasn't for that ankle injury at the AO, it's entirely possible Serena would be holding all four major titles as well as the Olympic and Year-End-Champs simultaneously right now which would be unprecedented. Her level is pretty much close to what it was when she held all four of the majors in 2002-03 which is something I never thought we'd see again. I don't think she'll surpass Steffi's record of 22 majors (although she wants to keep going until Rio so it's not entirely impossible!) but I'm sure she'll surpass Navratilova and Evert's tally of 18.

And huge kudos to Rafa too, who has reached the finals at every tournament he's played since coming back from seven/eight months out with knee injuries in Feb.
nevetsllim

Postby bambam » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:43 pm

nevetsllim wrote:If it wasn't for that ankle injury at the AO, it's entirely possible Serena would be holding all four major titles as well as the Olympic and Year-End-Champs simultaneously right now which would be unprecedented. Her level is pretty much close to what it was when she held all four of the majors in 2002-03 which is something I never thought we'd see again. I don't think she'll surpass Steffi's record of 22 majors (although she wants to keep going until Rio so it's not entirely impossible!) but I'm sure she'll surpass Navratilova and Evert's tally of 18.

And huge kudos to Rafa too, who has reached the finals at every tournament he's played since coming back from seven/eight months out with knee injuries in Feb.

In 1988 Steffi Graf won the Grand Slam and the Olympics - the Golden Slam - only singles one ever. Don't know about the year-end championship but I would suspect she won that as well - who was gonna beat her?
bambam

Postby TN1965 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:42 pm

bambam wrote:
nevetsllim wrote:If it wasn't for that ankle injury at the AO, it's entirely possible Serena would be holding all four major titles as well as the Olympic and Year-End-Champs simultaneously right now which would be unprecedented. Her level is pretty much close to what it was when she held all four of the majors in 2002-03 which is something I never thought we'd see again. I don't think she'll surpass Steffi's record of 22 majors (although she wants to keep going until Rio so it's not entirely impossible!) but I'm sure she'll surpass Navratilova and Evert's tally of 18.

In 1988 Steffi Graf won the Grand Slam and the Olympics - the Golden Slam - only singles one ever. Don't know about the year-end championship but I would suspect she won that as well - who was gonna beat her?

Graf lost the year-end championship in 1988, but she had won it in 1987. So at one point, she held all four Slams plus the year-end championships and the Olympic gold.
TN1965

Postby 502CD » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:55 am

Graf lost the year-end in '88 when she was sick. However, she did win the Lipton that year which at the time was considered the 5th major as it was a 2-week tournament and pretty much everyone played it.

There was also a good chance she would have gone back to back with the Grand Slam had she not been sick again at the French in '89 when she lost in the finals.
502CD