the dichotomy of British measure

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

the dichotomy of British measure

Postby gh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:01 am

I just love it when some get pissy about the "archaic" U.S. insistence in using the outmoded Imperial system, and I find a newspaper story like this, in which the guy's LJ marks are all reported in meters, but his height is carried only as 6-foot-7

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/n ... ant-leaper
gh

Re: the dichotomy of British measure

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:58 am

The Brits are ambi dexterous in measurements. I'm quasi dexterous.
jeremyp

Postby Daisy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:17 am

No one said it was easy to change. Odd things still linger, like height and stone. But that will disappear in time too. I imagine pints will stay for good and eventually everyone will wonder why they are called pints.
Daisy

Postby Marlow » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 am

Daisy wrote:No one said it was easy to change. Odd things still linger, like height and stone. But that will disappear in time too. I imagine pints will stay for good and eventually everyone will wonder why they are called pints.

America seems to slowly being seduced to the dark side. We still buy milk in quarts and gallons, but we buy 2-liter bottle of soda. Besides the fact that all our tracks are in metric, if you look in the pharmacy, you'll notice tons of stuff are in ml's and cc's. My car's dash has both and a push of a button changes all digital readouts to metric. In 50 years, Imperial will be a quaint vestige of days gone by. I won't care; I'll be 1.83 under . . . :wink:
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:45 am

Marlow wrote:[quote="Daisy In 50 years, Imperial will be a quaint vestige of days gone by. I won't care; I'll be 1.83 under . . . :wink:
That will be a hit show then too.
jeremyp

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:32 am

An obvious remark here by me, but the only, repeat only, way the metric system will be truly accepted in this country is when we THINK metrically from the get-go. And that will not happen until metrics is the only, repeat only, system taught from Kindergarten on up.
Last edited by dukehjsteve on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukehjsteve

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Heights and weights in the UK make absolutely no sense at all.

Everything is still measured in stones and miles but everyone also uses grams and centimetres.

It's a big old mess but makes perfect sense to us :D
Flumpy

Postby gh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Marlow wrote:America seems to slowly being seduced to the dark side. We still buy milk in quarts and gallons, but we buy 2-liter bottle of soda. Besides the fact that all our tracks are in metric, if you look in the pharmacy, you'll notice tons of stuff are in ml's and cc's....

my take is that most people pay little attention to cubic measure. Given that it's 3-dimensional, and you can be easily fooled by the shape of something as to what it holds, I'm guessing most people think "large" and "small" and you could call the containers anything you want and nobody would care. Grab a couple of glasses of varying sizes and fill t hem to different heights and see if you really (unless perhaps you're a chef) have any idea how many ounces/milliliters are in it. I bet you don't.

people who are used to a liter bottle of soda don't really have any idea what that is relative to anything else. They're not remotely learning the metric system (whereas height and weight do work).
gh

Postby Marlow » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:39 am

gh wrote:people who are used to a liter bottle of soda don't really have any idea what that is relative to anything else. They're not remotely learning the metric system (whereas height and weight do work).

If they're used to buying 2-liter bottles of Coke, I'm guessing that becomes a de facto point of reference.
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:15 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:people who are used to a liter bottle of soda don't really have any idea what that is relative to anything else. They're not remotely learning the metric system (whereas height and weight do work).

If they're used to buying 2-liter bottles of Coke, I'm guessing that becomes a de facto point of reference.

I go by: "is it large or is it small." For pop and booze. Just imagine if gasoline prices were by the liter? It would cause a riot, because it would screw up conversation around the water cooler. Which reminds me do they still have water coolers?
jeremyp

Postby rhymans » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:26 am

Quite bizarre - but it is illegal in the UK to sell food (such as on a market stall) in pounds and ounces. It has to be metric. A woman was fined £5000 in 2008 for so doing
rhymans

Postby KDFINE » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 pm

I've never heard a British football (soccer) announcer describe a movement into "hectares of space." Its always "acres of space.:
KDFINE

Postby gh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Marlow wrote:

It means they know how big a 2-liter bottle of Coke is, nothing more.
gh

Postby mump boy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:19 pm

rhymans wrote:Quite bizarre - but it is illegal in the UK to sell food (such as on a market stall) in pounds and ounces. It has to be metric. A woman was fined £5000 in 2008 for so doing

It's not illegal to sell in pounds and ounces but it may be to do it exclusively so. It is to harmonise measurements across the EU and makes perfect sense

If i remember correctly she was doing it as some kind of protest
mump boy

Postby marknhj » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:09 am

The one conversion I cannot my head around when I'm in the UK is for petrol. I find it almost impossible to figure out how much I'm paying for the equivalent of a US gallon (which isn't actually a proper gallon) and what my mpg is (in either proper or improper gallons). Miles per litre mean nothing to me.

A question for the metric phobes. Do you get your knickers in a twist when articles, such as the Kansas State one about Kynard at Pre, very laudably and properly put his performances in meters, but then use decimals on the imperial conversions? Frankly, I'm surprised gh hasn't edited the 7' 8.75" into 7' 8 3/4" or that Marlow hasn't let everyone know that 0.75 = 3/4 :D
marknhj

Postby gh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:44 am

obviously, a huge diffrence between "metric system" and "decimal inches"

Or are you telling me that in proper British instead of saying "I went to school half-time" you'd say "I went to school 0.5 time"?

:mrgreen:
gh

Postby Pego » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 am

marknhj wrote:Miles per litre mean nothing to me.

Don't the Brits use # of liters/100 km's as most of Europe does?
Pego

Postby marknhj » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:21 am

gh wrote:obviously, a huge diffrence between "metric system" and "decimal inches"
Or are you telling me that in proper British instead of saying "I went to school half-time" you'd say "I went to school 0.5 time"?
:mrgreen:

No, of course I wouldn't. I'd say, "I went to school part time"!

And, as you know, decimals and the metric system really do have quite a close relationship to one another :mrgreen:
marknhj

Postby marknhj » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:26 am

Pego wrote:
marknhj wrote:Miles per litre mean nothing to me.

Don't the Brits use # of liters/100 km's as most of Europe does?

Yes. But I've been corrupted by so many years in the US and gallons here are different from proper gallons. This results in a significant math(s) challenge when I'm trying to make mental calculations while pumping ga...petrol.
marknhj

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:29 am

I lived in Canada in late 60s and visited there frequently in the early 2000s.

Like marknhj, driving kilometers, buying gasoline by the liter, paying with vascillating money exchange rate, I never could figure out fuel economy.
lonewolf