Today's Oklahoma Tornado Report

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Today's Oklahoma Tornado Report

Postby lonewolf » Fri May 31, 2013 4:10 pm

Looks like today's tornado missed me by about two miles..
lonewolf

Re: Today's Oklahoma Tornado Report

Postby lonewolf » Fri May 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Spoke too soon, here comes another one... but looks like this one is further south.., taking another whack at Moore, OK.
lonewolf

Postby Rye Catcher » Fri May 31, 2013 5:22 pm

lonewolf wrote:Spoke too soon, here comes another one... but looks like this one is further south.., taking another whack at Moore, OK.

Hunker down, watching it on live TV.
Rye Catcher

Postby Cooter Brown » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:58 pm

Headed to Tulsa tomorrow. We already had to evacuate the office building two weeks ago when I was there for the first round of tornadoes. Not looking forward to it.
Cooter Brown

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 pm

The latest variant got three 'storm chasers'. Might diminish the penchant for that activity.
26mi235

Postby Daisy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 am

Might diminish the penchant for that activity.

Or there will be even more. It sounds illogical but it would not surprise me. I'm surprised the police don't arrest them, it sounds like they just get in the way.
Daisy

Postby donley2 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:10 pm

Daisy wrote:
Might diminish the penchant for that activity.

Or there will be even more. It sounds illogical but it would not surprise me. I'm surprised the police don't arrest them, it sounds like they just get in the way.

Every report I have seen says these guys actually attempted to do useful science.
donley2

Postby lonewolf » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:01 pm

These guys are legit in gathering information about the behaviour of tornadoes.
Their luck ran out and they just got caught by a capricious tornado.
lonewolf

Postby Daisy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:43 am

donley2 wrote:these guys attempted to do useful science.

But was it used, or needed? And I'm assuming most chasers do no science at all.
Daisy

Postby nunusguy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:02 am

Daisy wrote:
donley2 wrote:these guys attempted to do useful science.

But was it used, or needed? And I'm assuming most chasers do no science at all.

Many of these so-called chasers are van drivers for hire who take observers/tornado-fans as
close to the action is as possible.
Origionally there was "spotters" of which I'm sure there are still many and they provide a valuable service about T-storm/tornado development & activity , but the chasers represents a very wide-range of types, many of whom probably represent more of a liability than benefit (to anybody).
nunusguy

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:42 pm

From a bit of spotty reading, these guys were not just the van chasers. Besides, with lonewolf's experience and knowledge, I suspect he has a more accurate assessment than those just reading reports and comments.

Another thing about the EF5 that hit Moore; it was so big that it did not look like a tornado when you were in the vicinity, it must have looked more like a big dark cloud without the typical telltale funnel element.
26mi235

Postby nunusguy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:41 pm

26mi235 wrote:From a bit of spotty reading, these guys were not just the van chasers. Besides, with lonewolf's experience and knowledge, I suspect he has a more accurate assessment than those just reading reports and comments.

I watch all of that stuff on the Weather channel and Discovery channel, and many of these people fly in from all over the country, even internationally to pay for and take the twister
adventures/joy-rides in the vans. They often show them in group pics, beaming with a funnel-cloud in the background. Belive me, lots of people out there chasing the storms are litterally on vacation. Now that's not to say that some make important scientific contributions, becaise they
do. But it's still pure recreational for lots of them, who whould perhaps find something else to do with their spare time and money ?

26mi235 wrote:Another thing about the EF5 that hit Moore; it was so big that it did not look like a tornado when you were in the vicinity, it must have looked more like a big dark cloud without the typical telltale funnel element.

Yup, that's why they call them "wedge-shaped" and not like the classic "funnel" shaped storm most associate with the shape of a tornado.
But the storm that hit El Reno and killed the chasers was very large in diameter but rated an EF3. And what made it so dangerous was the lack of daylignt and the storm was shrouded in heavy rain showers, and in addition it had a very erratic path with uncharacteristic left-hand turns. Plus with the heavy rain, some of the roads which were unimproved meant they got blocked because some chasers got stuck in the mud.
nunusguy

Postby lonewolf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:29 pm

The El Reno tornado just upgraded to EF5 and 2.6 miles wide, widest documented tornadoe in history.
I was referring specifically to the Colorado "storm chaser" killed, who did have a contributing relationship with professional weather services, as being legit.
It is also true there are amateur and/or commercial chasers but not in numbers adequate to cause traffic gridlock.
lonewolf

Postby nunusguy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:54 am

I saw the upgrade for the El Reno storm, but I think they've taken much of the credibility out of their whole tornado rating-warning system when they decided that a radar identified super-cell alone could now be the basis for a "tornado warning" and then they dropped the "Fujita scale" for the "Enhanced Fujita scale". And of course a la "Super Storm Sandy", they've christened this tornado a super storm. Just more of the politicalization process of extreme weather events to advance the global-warming agenda.
Now of course there's no such thing as a benign tornado, but this storm was particularly dangerous and nasty because it "behaved" in such an unconventional manner and was at night, shielded by rain. But eventually they may want to consider some kind of licensing or fee-based process to get a lot of the clowns off the road, and then of course let the people who provide a genuine public service and important info gathering like the men who tragically lost their lives in OK do their
work.
nunusguy

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:12 am

Forget bringing in the global warming thing. Absolutely no one that I know on the professional side calls it that, none. It is global climate change and and the issues of climate change and severe storms is a very open question, with most scientist I know of indicating it is an open issue. I am sure that partisans point to it as a result of climate changes, and it is not an illogical or unsupported proposition, just not one with the sort of established links as many other factors. [note: have a paper in Nature on climate change so I have a little relevant background and experience with those working in the area.]

I my mind, bringing this political element up as a reason to play down some element loses you credibility points. The width of the storm is certainly relevant and the breadth of Sandy and the scale of the destruction earns the description 'super' aside from any connection of someone's agenda for global climate change.

Funnel-like clouds might be relevant for assessment but it was brought up in the context of the storm possibly being confusing for some in the area because it was not so discernibly of a classical tornado shape. That might have altered the response for some.
26mi235

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Every once in a while, I am compelled to chime in with the observation that earth may, or may not, be warming, depending on what period of time you research, and has been doing so for millions of years, through multiple Ice Ages, before humans existed on the planet.

I do not know how is became a political issue. It is climate change, uninfluenced and irreversible by the puny contribution or efforts of man.
lonewolf

Postby nunusguy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 pm

26mi235 wrote:Forget bringing in the global warming thing.

I'm not, but I assure many in the media and in Washington are.
nunusguy

Postby nunusguy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 pm

lonewolf wrote:I do not know how is became a political issue.

$$$$$
nunusguy