Music: the greatest generation.

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Music: the greatest generation.

Postby rsb2 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Dr. Marlow, I presume, of course musical appreciation has a considerable subjective element attached. But, just to gently joust, you could listen to country music for many hours without a mention of a dog, or a pickup truck for that matter. Also, I would suggest that the best country pickers and players, of whatever instrument, are extremely good and would rank with the best instrumentalists of any genre, regardless of whether You like that particular sound or not... just sayin' !
rsb2

Postby gh » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:39 pm

heaven is finding a station that plays classic country
gh

Postby tandfman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:15 am

gh wrote:heaven is finding a station that plays classic country

I wouldn't go that far, but I agree that classic country beats the hybrids.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:20 am

rsb2 wrote:I would suggest that the best country pickers and players, of whatever instrument, are extremely good and would rank with the best instrumentalists of any genre, regardless of whether You like that particular sound or not... just sayin' !

Totally agree. The same could be said, of course, of almost every genre. One of the best musicians I ever saw was playing bluegrass. Cellists to fiddlers, it's all good! :D
Marlow

Postby rsb2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks - some great music there. And the affiliated links lead to many of the greatest guitar players !
rsb2

Postby no one » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:38 am

hopefully some tasty snacks

just entertainment - talent I think - we'll see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fviQQ03fq0I

beatnik mood music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IhqYu8RRlk

somethin about this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPnOEiehONQ

some more big names here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzePqXEJrBY

more easy blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx3yXUunEq8

plain ol slow pace R&R - listen for piano and horn section -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUv-4dNX6Jw

lou - garage band goes new york fm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdWPeHFAMk

pipes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJv4KiPJkcs

rock plays classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZVebSr-MFM

I like this version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Odigi-IYA

easy listnin and not a bad video either
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Odigi-IYA

okay - I'm done .... for now?
no one

Postby lovetorun » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 pm

Lots of good discussion re: music preferences in this thread...but I have to say it's interesting (and slightly frustrating to me) that, except for the first of 86 responses, no one really addressed the thesis of my post!
lovetorun

Postby rsb2 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Still dodging your question (not really :), but just watching a PBS show called "Folk Rewind", 2 hours reviewing 1960's folk music, and really enjoying it !
rsb2

Postby gh » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:20 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:Sevendutst is a fine band. Here's a quick cross-section of my favorite styles:

Blind Guardian (Germany) "Euro" Power Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfNOKQdY-U

Cage (USA) "American" Power Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT7qIc5VXQg

Antestor (Norway) Black Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT7qIc5VXQg

Mortification (Australia) Death Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=194oXgDULCg

Tyr (Faroe Islands) Viking Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRKqd4CLSmI

Warbeast (USA) - Thrash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVSyIWIfqlw

Crescent Shield (USA) "Traditional" Heavy Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx0zuanWrRw

There are SO many bands out there. This short list is painfully limited, but it gives one an idea what I'm into and what's out there.

And the ultimate Xmas song: Jingle Bells by Austrian Death Machine !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MntZ2oPDPnM
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:53 am

lovetorun wrote:Lots of good discussion re: music preferences in this thread...but I have to say it's interesting (and slightly frustrating to me) that, except for the first of 86 responses, no one really addressed the thesis of my post!

To wit:
lovetorun wrote:the 1960's and 70's produced the greatest music.

By and large, we are all stuck in the music of our teens and 20s, and since the 60s-70s represent exactly that to me, of course I agree. But what you're reading in this thread is that not everyone is a Baby Boomer with post-50s/pre-90s (I love the 80s stuff too) predilections. As it should be.
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:52 am

Marlow wrote:By and large, we are all stuck in the music of our teens and 20s

That's probably true, but at some point some of us find music that is timeless. I was very, very much into the popular music of my time until about when I was 15. At that point, I discovered classical music. Then about 6-7 years later, I discovered opera. I've listened to almost nothing else since. I think classical jazz may be a similar genre that can hook anyone, regardless of age or generation.
tandfman

Postby kuha » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:16 am

This is largely, but not entirely true. It is clear that we are strongly SHAPED by what was current when we "came of age" mentally. There's no getting around that. However, there is never any need to STOP there, and many folks obviously do not. I certainly agree that there is a "comfort factor" with the music that was hip when I was 14 to 20 years of age. However, as others have stated, any larger interest in music will (or "should") lead to many more discoveries--including the vitality of what's happening NOW and the "timeless" appeal of classical, jazz, opera, and any number of other great genres. It's the sheer variety & quality of any/all of this that is so exciting.
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:29 am

kuha wrote:

This is largely, but not entirely true. It is clear that we are strongly SHAPED by what was current when we "came of age" mentally. There's no getting around that. However, there is never any need to STOP there, and many folks obviously do not. I certainly agree that there is a "comfort factor" with the music that was hip when I was 14 to 20 years of age. However, as others have stated, any larger interest in music will (or "should") lead to many more discoveries--including the vitality of what's happening NOW and the "timeless" appeal of classical, jazz, opera, and any number of other great genres. It's the sheer variety & quality of any/all of this that is so exciting.

How true. As tandfman notes, you get introduced to new music like classical, jazz and the Ring, stuff I never listened to much when I was a teenager. It is like saying the friends you are stuck with for life are the ones had when you were 20.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Conor Dary wrote:the "timeless" appeal of classical, jazz, opera, and any number of other great genres. It's the sheer variety & quality of any/all of this that is so exciting.

I guess I suffer from severe aesthetic arrested development, because in college I tried to cultivate an appreciation for all three and failed miserably, primarily because none of them have given me the visceral effect that classic rock does. Rock . . . rocks me like nothing else . . . my father listened to swing and jazz, my mom listened to classical, folk and contemporary pop (Sinatra, etc. ), but all of that leaves me cold. C'est la vie.

On the other hand, I love this, which is classical, pop and jazz!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLTJ2ykad-k
Marlow

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:17 pm

tandfman wrote:

That's probably true, but at some point some of us find music that is timeless. I was very, very much into the popular music of my time until about when I was 15. At that point, I discovered classical music. Then about 6-7 years later, I discovered opera. I've listened to almost nothing else since. I think classical jazz may be a similar genre that can hook anyone, regardless of age or generation.

Yes, for me it is classical, opera and classical jazz.
Pego

Postby kuha » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Marlow wrote:I guess I suffer from severe aesthetic arrested development, because in college I tried to cultivate an appreciation for all three and failed miserably, primarily because none of them have given me the visceral effect that classic rock does.

That may be just fine. No one HAS to like everything, obviously! Our larger point is that tastes can grow/evolve with age. You're not the same person now that you were in college--right?. Is your taste in other things (food; movies; books; whatever) the same as it was then? I hope the answer is no!
kuha

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:59 pm

kuha wrote:You're not the same person now that you were in college--right?. Is your taste in other things (food; movies; books; whatever) the same as it was then? I hope the answer is no!

If you mean - have I grown up? Absolutely not! Exhibit A: my taste in in food, movies, TV, etc., has not 'evolved' at all! My only 'improvement' is my ability to fully appreciate the simplest things in life like family, friends and TRACK & FIELD!!!!! :D
Marlow

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Oops - dupe! :oops:
Last edited by Marlow on Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlow

Postby kuha » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:02 pm

OK; so now we have our answer! (Twice!)
kuha

Postby gh » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Allow me to suggest that both "sides" are correct here. There are all kinds of timless music (classical, jazz, opera) that if people don't like when young they can grow into.

Then there's "popular" music and that's tougher/impossible to grow into. And I think you tend to stay stuck with the music that was popular when you were most impressionable. So there's about a 20-year stretch (5-25) that will remain in your wheelhouse forever.
gh

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:45 am

A music lover should always seek music to love but we didnt create the term Renaissance for no reason did we? and if we did, I would like to argue that the 60's were special. Explosions in creativity are not linear.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby kuha » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:47 am

gh wrote:Allow me to suggest that both "sides" are correct here. There are all kinds of timless music (classical, jazz, opera) that if people don't like when young they can grow into.

Then there's "popular" music and that's tougher/impossible to grow into. And I think you tend to stay stuck with the music that was popular when you were most impressionable. So there's about a 20-year stretch (5-25) that will remain in your wheelhouse forever.

I'd agree--this is a very good way of putting it.
kuha

Postby Bob Duncan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:08 pm

gh wrote:One of the great track moments ever was when the greatest Metallica cover band of all time, Apocalyptica, played at the opening ceremonies of the '05 World Championships in Helsinki.

Or how about Helmut Lotte and Isinbayeva singing the Russian National anthem at the Van Damme Memorial in 2004 after her 4.92WR? (see "Isinbayeva nationalhymne" on youtube).

Also awesome (no track reference) was Apocalyptica performing "SOS (Anything But Love)" with Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil. Total heaviosity, as Alvy Singer might have said. I think that video is on you tube as well.
Bob Duncan

Postby SQUACKEE » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Either the 60's are special in the history of music or we will see every decade boast bands as good and memorable as these- Beatles, Stones, Cream, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys,Stevie Wonder, Hendrix, Janis Jopin, Procal Harem, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, James Brown, The Animals, The Temptations,The Doors, Otis Redding,Simon and Garfunkel, The Who ect ect.

If it was Just the Beatles it would be a special decade.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby Bob Duncan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:12 pm

gh wrote:I can listen to Flogging Molly, the Real McKenzies and the Dropkick Murphys endlessly. (even if it costs me another marriage :mrgreen: )

I agree. Anyone who hasn't listened to Flogging Molly should check them out. There are some good videos of them out there like "Seven Deadly Sins". It's like drunk Irish slam-dancing. Frenetic.
Bob Duncan

Postby tandfman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:06 am

SQUACKEE wrote:If it was Just the Beatles it would be a special decade.

The Beatles were indeed special. I thought they were geniuses at the time and I still do.
tandfman

Postby TN1965 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Marlow wrote:By and large, we are all stuck in the music of our teens and 20s...

I love my '80s music, but I also love '60s, '70s, '90s and '00s music. I even have some CDs by artists whose prime was earlier. (I don't have any favorite artists who debuted in this decade... yet. I think that will eventually change.) I never stop discovering something interesting... both old and new.

And I have to agree with gh as well. Some of the "pop" music could eventually become timeless classic. Some CDs from '60s and '70s still have strong catalog sales, and they are not just bought by old people who used to listen to their music back in the days. Some old songs are also repeatedly covered by contemporary artists, and given "new life" every now and then. I bet that 50 years from now there will still be people who are listening to some of the "pop" songs from the 20th century either in original recordings or in some cover version.
TN1965

Postby TN1965 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:00 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:Either the 60's are special in the history of music or we will see every decade boast bands as good and memorable as these- Beatles, Stones, Cream, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys,Stevie Wonder, Hendrix, Janis Jopin, Procal Harem, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, James Brown, The Animals, The Temptations,The Doors, Otis Redding,Simon and Garfunkel, The Who ect ect.

By definition, it is harder for later generations to be "ground breaking" because there are already more things done by previous generations. I think Mendelssohn once said something to the same effect regarding his generation compared to Mozart. I mean, how could Usher or Chris Brown possibly do anything that has not been already done by Michael Jackson?

And the Beatles might have been unique in the same way Mozart was unique. But that did not mean the classical music maxed out in 1790s, and everything composed in the 19th century was meaningless. The same goes for the Beatles and all the rock bands since 1970s.
TN1965

Postby DrJay » Sat May 18, 2013 5:46 am

SQUACKEE wrote:Either the 60's are special in the history of music or we will see every decade boast bands as good and memorable as these- Beatles, Stones, Cream, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys,Stevie Wonder, Hendrix, Janis Jopin, Procal Harem, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, James Brown, The Animals, The Temptations,The Doors, Otis Redding,Simon and Garfunkel, The Who ect ect.

Refine that a little, shift the frame of reference a half-decade and look at 1965 to 1975. Whoa! What percent of truly relevant, ground-breaking, legendary, memorable, they'll-still-be-playing-it in 50 years rock/pop/R&B music was recorded then?
DrJay

Postby gh » Sat May 18, 2013 7:47 am

most of the music crafted in '60, '61, '62 (Beach Boys notable exception) and most of '63, I would posit, is undistinguishable from the stuff of the second half of the '50s.

in other words, '60s = British Invasion (and what it spawned).
gh

Postby cullman » Sat May 18, 2013 11:38 am

DrJay wrote:Refine that a little, shift the frame of reference a half-decade and look at 1965 to 1975. Whoa! What percent of truly relevant, ground-breaking, legendary, memorable, they'll-still-be-playing-it in 50 years rock/pop/R&B music was recorded then?

...and then Disco took over...ouch!
cullman

Postby DrJay » Sat May 18, 2013 12:32 pm

cullman wrote:
DrJay wrote:Refine that a little, shift the frame of reference a half-decade and look at 1965 to 1975. Whoa! What percent of truly relevant, ground-breaking, legendary, memorable, they'll-still-be-playing-it in 50 years rock/pop/R&B music was recorded then?

And then punk, which at least had some balls.
DrJay

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat May 18, 2013 1:31 pm

All music except between 1955 and 1965 is crap.
dukehjsteve

Postby bambam » Sun May 19, 2013 3:59 am

dukehjsteve wrote:All music except between 1955 and 1965 is crap.

Steve - this sentence can be re-written by probably everybody as:

All music except between [when I was between 14 and 24 years old] is crap.
bambam

Postby gh » Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 am

DrJay wrote:
cullman wrote:

And then punk, which at least had some balls.

and sex pistols too :mrgreen:
gh

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun May 19, 2013 7:48 am

bambam wrote:
dukehjsteve wrote:All music except between 1955 and 1965 is crap.

Steve - this sentence can be re-written by probably everybody as:

All music except between [when I was between 14 and 24 years old] is crap.

Check out the big brain on bambam !!!
dukehjsteve

Postby gh » Sun May 19, 2013 7:59 am

from an xmas day post by me earlier in this thread

<<...Then there's "popular" music and that's tougher/impossible to grow into. And I think you tend to stay stuck with the music that was popular when you were most impressionable. So there's about a 20-year stretch (5-25) that will remain in your wheelhouse forever.>>
gh

Postby DrJay » Sun May 19, 2013 5:09 pm

Poor kids these days! Just imagine having Justin Bieber stuck in your brain for 50+ years. Oh, the humanity!! :shock:
DrJay

Postby Marlow » Sun May 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Apropos of something, here's where I have to re-admit that I (gasp!) watch American Idol. Check out this performance if you think there ain't no music(ians) of merit. It gave me chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KcO0MHytH4
Marlow

PreviousNext