hope this turns out better than MJ/Bailey

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

hope this turns out better than MJ/Bailey

Postby gh » Fri May 17, 2013 7:37 am

Felix vs. SAFP in a street 150.

story now posted to front page.
gh

Re: hope this turns out better than MJ/Bailey

Postby JumboElliott » Fri May 17, 2013 7:40 am

I think it will because it's not a standalone event.
JumboElliott

Postby 18.99s » Fri May 17, 2013 7:44 am

And it's all on the straight, unlike MJ vs. Bailey which had a curve for about half the race.
18.99s

Postby nevetsllim » Fri May 17, 2013 8:08 am

Apart from the distance, I don't see any similarities between the two races.
nevetsllim

Postby gktrack » Fri May 17, 2013 8:13 am

This will be a fun race... just the two of them or will there be others in the field? Looking at the London 200, it appeared Felix may have been a fraction ahead of SAFP off the curve, but I wouldn't expect that here on the 150 straight. Great mid-season matchup given the distance, and will be fun to see the last 50m. I like the way the females are willing to race each other more often and openly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tvUQslnII0
gktrack

Postby gh » Fri May 17, 2013 8:16 am

nevetsllim wrote:Apart from the distance, I don't see any similarities between the two races.

errrr.... 2 reigning Olympic champions meeting at a distance in the middle?
gh

Postby Marlow » Fri May 17, 2013 8:20 am

It will all depend on their current level of fitness (they're not peaking for this, but there is some ego on the line, so they'll be getting after it!). I would love to see SAFB jump to a several meter lead and see if AF has room to run her down. If she gets her usual start, I think SAFB will get away for the win.
Marlow

Postby doug5321 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:37 am

i hope they put campbell-brown and jeter and other top sprinters in it.

the problem with the mj vs bailey race is there were no other sprinters in the race ato bolden, linford christie etc. that way if one pulls up, there would be no jogging it in for the winner.

i basically dont like gimmick races but meeting halfway can be interesting, but fill the 8 or 9 lanes with other top people.

i actually think campbell-brown and jeter have a shot at winning this race over the big 2.

i wish the race director in the michael johnson vs bailey race had thought of my idea of filling the lanes with m. greene, l. christie, a. bolden etc.
doug5321

Postby gh » Fri May 17, 2013 8:49 am

i suspect the race director could barely afford Bailey and Johnson, let alone trying to buy anyone else!
gh

Postby Marlow » Fri May 17, 2013 8:58 am

gh wrote:i suspect the race director could barely afford Bailey and Johnson, let alone trying to buy anyone else!

Sadly I realize that this 'gimmickry' is exactly what our sport needs to be viable in the sporting public's mind. If the tippy-top elites realized how much it is to their long-term benefit to stage such an 'event', they'd do it for less appearance money. Helping to 'grow' the sport (in the public's eye) is of great import to EVERYONE in our sport. But . . . sigh . . . venality rules, and I certainly can't blame or fault them for trying to make their living as best they can.
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:02 am

gh wrote:
nevetsllim wrote:Apart from the distance, I don't see any similarities between the two races.

But unlike that race, where neither tended to race the other distance, SAFP has worked her way into the forefront of the other event and AF was 5th in the 100. More promising outcome (like two finishers :roll: ).
26mi235

Postby Grasshopper » Fri May 17, 2013 9:03 am

One difference is that Bailey and Johnson had both just set World Records in their events, so you had the fastest-ever men at 100m and 200m meeting in the middle. Hard to match that kind of hype.
Grasshopper

Postby Marlow » Fri May 17, 2013 9:58 am

I am absolutely captivated by this image of Felix. What a great shot.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/admin/wp ... nFelix.jpg
Marlow

Postby unclezadok » Fri May 17, 2013 11:28 am

The only thing better would be if they met at a real distance, like 200m or 100m.
unclezadok

Postby Jon » Fri May 17, 2013 11:56 am

gh wrote:
At least at this meeting they have more than just two athletes in the race. Events at the Great City Games usually have 4-5 athletes in each race. So even if one (or both!) of the big favourites do falter, there will be others there to make it a 'proper' race.
Jon

Postby aaronk » Fri May 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:i suspect the race director could barely afford Bailey and Johnson, let alone trying to buy anyone else!

Sadly I realize that this 'gimmickry' is exactly what our sport needs to be viable in the sporting public's mind. If the tippy-top elites realized how much it is to their long-term benefit to stage such an 'event', they'd do it for less appearance money. Helping to 'grow' the sport (in the public's eye) is of great import to EVERYONE in our sport. But . . . sigh . . . venality rules, and I certainly can't blame or fault them for trying to make their living as best they can.

These type races remind me of the "man vs horse" races we occasionally see in places like Las Vegas!

Except in this case, with two WOMEN.......which would be the "man" and which the "horse"?? :P
aaronk

Postby Bolan » Sat May 18, 2013 8:53 am

A year ago, I would put my money on Felix, but this is a new shelly with better endurance. It may very well be a preview of the 200m outcome in Moscow. If Felix is not within a meter of shelly in this race, then it will bode trouble for her in Moscow over the 200M. We all know that Francis generally have shelly peaking at the right time . I personally think shelly is running faster at this point in the season and may do something in the 10.6 21.6x range in Moscow.
Bolan

Postby ATK » Sat May 18, 2013 10:39 am

The only problem I have had with the recently high profile 150m races are the lack of competition. We have seen one athlete dominate then 3 other 3rd or 4th tier runners.
ATK

Postby wineturtle » Sat May 18, 2013 12:36 pm

As gh said money is in the mix here. Plus how many lanes does their portable track have-four?
How much would it cost to add the extra 50m to run 200m as suggested or create an 8 lane portable?
Can they find a space for a 200 plus run out in an urban space?

I question the position of promoting this as a normal Athletics Contest it is promotional in nature not a true part of Athletics. But I'm not the type consumer they need to attract to the sport- like all of us here Athletics hooked me long ago- :oops: over 50 trips to T&F rehab have not freed me from this irrational addiction .
Does this type event foster a general public mind set like>
Why go to a real athletics meet I already saw Bolt run in the Mall.
wineturtle