Good hotel in NYC?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Good hotel in NYC?

Postby DrJay » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:11 am

Thinking of taking my kids to NYC for vacation this summer. So I'm coming to the best source of intelligent and accurate information in the whole world, the TAFNEWS Message Board, to ask if anyone has a favorite hotel there, not the Ritz-Carlton but no cockroaches either.
DrJay

Re: Good hotel in NYC?

Postby gh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 am

which bank are you planning on robbing? :mrgreen:
gh

Postby kuha » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 am

If it's simply a very nice hotel, regardless of cost, you can find quite a few good options. If, like most folks, you want a good place at an affordable price, then good luck. In the past half dozen years, it is my impression that prices bounce up and down for no apparent reason. I used to stay at the same 2 or 3 places over and over in the old days, but no more: each visit requires a new search to find something in a right area at an acceptable price. The feedback numbers on the various websites (Expedia, etc.) are usually pretty reliable--but otherwise, I find that one has to reinvent the NYC hotel wheel with every visit.
kuha

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Try The Leo House at 23rd and 8th. It's basically a hotel for visiting Catholic Nuns but is open to the public. Old, but clean, for about $ 100 a night. I've stayed there... it was fine. Not the Ritz by any means but to repeat it was clean and they were hospitable.
dukehjsteve

Postby marknhj » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:51 pm

This one is fabulous, naturally!

http://www.themarkhotel.com/

However, that was when I wasn't paying. Last time I went on a personal trip I actually stayed in Secaucus (the Meadowlands at Harmon Meadow). The bus from right outside the hotels only took about 20 mins to get into Manhattan. Saved significant $$$.
marknhj

Postby Tuariki » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:12 pm

If you don't need to impress anybody and just need a good room with all necessities I recommend Holiday Inn Express in Fort Lee which is on the other side of the George Washington Bridge. The same quality of room in Manhattan will be 3 to 4 times what you pay here.
Tuariki

Postby DrJay » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:13 pm

marknhj wrote:This one is fabulous, naturally!

http://www.themarkhotel.com/

However, that was when I wasn't paying.

My son just went out for middle school track. He's trying the HJ, among other events. We'll just get him up to 7'8" or so, skip NYC and go straight to Zurich, get someone else to pay for the rooms there.
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:14 pm

gh wrote:which bank are you planning on robbing? :mrgreen:

Careful with words like that this week!
DrJay

Postby jhc68 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:55 am

Last fall we stayed a couple of nights at The Jewel (http://www.thejewelny.com) and it was great for our purposes... very clean, very modern, very efficient and a great location directly adjacent to Rockefeller Center and as reasonable priced as any acceptable Manhattan hotel (you could book a room for two with a view tonight for $179 + all the myriad taxes.)
It's a high tech sort of place where check-in is very quick as you stand on the same side of the counter with the clerk to save space.
Possible negatives: Rooms are tiny although designed for max logistical efficiency and would be cramped for any group larger than a very compatible couple!!!
jhc68

Postby tandfman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Of course, if money is no object . . . :

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/expensive- ... d=18996637

:)
tandfman

Postby Halfmiler2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Tuariki wrote:If you don't need to impress anybody and just need a good room with all necessities I recommend Holiday Inn Express in Fort Lee which is on the other side of the George Washington Bridge. The same quality of room in Manhattan will be 3 to 4 times what you pay here.

A couple miles farther from the bridge in NJ is the much nicer Glenpointe Marriott (Teaneck, NJ) which has a bus stop with buses that are a short ride into the city.

Another option to the sky-high mid-town prices are the hotels at LaGuardia airport.
Halfmiler2

Postby kuha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Halfmiler2 wrote:A couple miles farther from the bridge in NJ is the much nicer Glenpointe Marriott (Teaneck, NJ) which has a bus stop with buses that are a short ride into the city.

Another option to the sky-high mid-town prices are the hotels at LaGuardia airport.

The (obvious) downside here is the time, trouble, and money it takes to get back & forth from a hotel in nowheresville to where you actually want to be. My first recommendation is to look at Expedia & the other sites to see what is available and decent in or near the actual areas you want to spend time.
kuha

Postby KevinM » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:50 am

In the last few years a couple of decent chains have opened spots in the Gowanus/Park Slope area of Brooklyn. If you're willing to stay away from the tourist-heavy areas of Midtown, but don't want to negotiate a bus ride from a place like Fort Lee, NJ, it may be worth exploring. You can be in places like Times Square, Herald Square, or near the big museums on the Upper West and East Sides with a 30-45 minute subway ride (even faster to downtown attractions), and the dining options are both better and less expensive than in the heavy tourist areas of Manhattan.

I'd stay away from hotels near LGA and JFK, as public transport is a hassle (especially from LGA). An outer borough vs. NJ is definitely preferred, however, since you'll likely be purchasing MetroCards to ride the subway, and they don't work on NJ transit options.

Here’s the Holiday Inn Express (located less than a block from a subway stop):
http://www.expressbrooklyn.com/

and a La Quinta two stops further out on the same train line:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... _York.html

It also may be worth exploring options on Air BnB, since many NYers leave the city during the summer.
KevinM

Postby TN1965 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:23 pm

TN1965

Postby DrJay » Fri May 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Comfort Inn, 44th and 8th. A block from The Majestic Theater where Phantom is showing. I can't visit NYC and not stay in Manhattan.
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Sat May 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Here's the list of recs a friend's son, who lives Upper West Side, gave me:

Comfort Inn 44th and 8th
Hampton 8th and 52nd or so
Hilton 6th and 52nd
Sheraton 52nd and 7th
Wellington Hotel 55th and 7th
Michelangelo Hotel 51st and 7th
DrJay

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat May 18, 2013 1:34 pm

DrJay wrote:Comfort Inn, 44th and 8th. A block from The Majestic Theater where Phantom is showing. I can't visit NYC and not stay in Manhattan.

Agreed. If you are visiting Manhattan, stay in Manhattan. Suck it up and pay a a bit more.
dukehjsteve

Postby tandfman » Sun May 19, 2013 7:22 pm

DrJay wrote:Here's the list of recs a friend's son, who lives Upper West Side, gave me:

Comfort Inn 44th and 8th
Hampton 8th and 52nd or so
Hilton 6th and 52nd
Sheraton 52nd and 7th
Wellington Hotel 55th and 7th
Michelangelo Hotel 51st and 7th

Some of those are major business hotels with fairly high rates. Others are not. I'd recommend using expedia.com and look at what's available at the economy brands of the major chains--Courtyard or Fairfield by Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn by Hilton, Holiday Inn Express, Hyatt Place, etc. I'm not crazy about Comfort Inns, but the one on 44th Street in NYC may be a good one.
tandfman

Postby DrJay » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:18 pm

gh wrote:which bank are you planning on robbing? :mrgreen:

Now, about that bank.....
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:46 am

I can now recommend the Comfort Inn on 44th between 8th and 9th. Relatively new, decent little breakfast (though the scrambled-eggs-microwaved-in-a-bag tasted pretty synthetic), good price (for Manhattan), great location at the edge of the theater district.
DrJay

Postby uakari » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:28 pm

DrJay wrote:I can now recommend the Comfort Inn on 44th between 8th and 9th... good price (for Manhattan)...

what would that be?????
uakari

Postby wineturtle » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:41 pm

DrJay wrote:I can now recommend the Comfort Inn on 44th between 8th and 9th. Relatively new, decent little breakfast (though the scrambled-eggs-microwaved-in-a-bag tasted pretty synthetic), good price (for Manhattan), great location at the edge of the theater district.

How did the family enjoy the trip?
wineturtle

Postby tandfman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:15 am

uakari wrote:
DrJay wrote:I can now recommend the Comfort Inn on 44th between 8th and 9th... good price (for Manhattan)...

what would that be?????

Whevever that price was, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same price when you want to go. Hotel prices vary greatly with demand. A large convention at a nearby hotel will drive prices up; a slow tourist week will soften them.

Best bet if you're looking there (or elsewhere) is to check one of the travel sites (expedia.com, priceline.com, hotels.com. etc) and see what you can find. Sometimes the hotel's own site may have lower rates, especially if you're eligible for a group discount (like AAA) or are a senior citizen.
tandfman

Postby TN1965 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:36 pm

tandfman wrote:Best bet if you're looking there (or elsewhere) is to check one of the travel sites (expedia.com, priceline.com, hotels.com. etc) and see what you can find. Sometimes the hotel's own site may have lower rates, especially if you're eligible for a group discount (like AAA) or are a senior citizen.

I once reserved a room through hotels.com only to find that the hotel never received my reservation. They were kind enough to find a room at another hotel for me, but my email to hotel.com customer service after the trip was never returned. I would never, ever use that site again. :evil:
TN1965

Postby lonewolf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:19 pm

A few years ago, one of my authors, who had appointments with publishers in/on Manhattan, made reservation through one of the hotel booking services. When she arrived, with confirmed reservation in hand, she was informed there was some mistake and the hotel had found alternate accomodations on eastern Long Island, just a 90 minute, $110 cab ride away.
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:12 am

I use Expedia and Priceline regularly. I've never had any problem with the hotel not honoring the reservation. If that's a concern, though, you can always call the hotel the day before your arrival (or the morning of your arrival) and re-confirm the res.
tandfman

Postby DrJay » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 am

uakari wrote:

what would that be?????

$280/night including taxes (base price was something like about $254 a night, varied a little weeknight to weekend.)

Fun trip, the kids loved NYC. We also hit the Adirondacks for a couple of days, then Niagara Falls at the end and I'd never been there.
DrJay

Postby uakari » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:30 pm

you know, my couch is available to any of you folks coming to town... i charge only $250/night (all taxes incl.)!
uakari