America's Cup now a game for young men

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

America's Cup now a game for young men

Postby gh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:27 pm

<<In the 161-year history of the America’s Cup, Russell Coutts is probably the most influential person. He can’t influence the effects of aging, though, especially now that yacht racing has become a physical ordeal.

He’s 50 and in great shape, but he doesn’t plan to be aboard...

http://blog.sfgate.com/americascup/2012 ... nish-line/
gh

Re: America's Cup now a game for young men

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:32 pm

Doesn't it also help to be rich? :D
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby BillVol » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Now here is an overrated event. I remember back when they said that no country had ever beaten the US in this event. Then Australia beat us and they acted like it was a big deal. It isn't a big deal when it is a sport in which .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the population participates in it. Did I put enough zeros in that number above?
BillVol

Postby gh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:47 am

You mean the % of people who care about track?

Spectator numbers (not paying of course) for the AC races are projecting in the hundreds of thousands. It's a big-time spectacle whose TV numbers will dwarf any non-Olympic stuff track can generate.
gh

Postby Daisy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:46 pm

So how often do these boats capsize? Or is this just part of a steep learning curve for the sailors? Or maybe just too many old men on board?
Daisy

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Daisy wrote:So how often do these boats capsize? Or is this just part of a steep learning curve for the sailors? Or maybe just too many old men on board?

Don't think that will be as much of a problem for the new boats (catamarans). I personally hate the new boats. :x Having attending the race in which the Aussies won the cup in 1983 in Newport Rhode Island, I have always enjoyed watching the races since. It just doesn't feel right to have these new ships! I probably won't watch the races next time around.
odelltrclan

Postby Daisy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:55 pm

odelltrclan wrote:Don't think that will be as much of a problem for the new boats (catamarans).

I thought it was the catamarans that were having the problem. Or maybe they are not the same class as the ones they will end up racing?

See from 1:50 on in this youtube from Oracle racing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOURLUtXdkw

And this one, disaster after disaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvk4D-GlUgE
Daisy

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Daisy wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:Don't think that will be as much of a problem for the new boats (catamarans).

I thought it was the catamarans that were having the problem. Or maybe they are not the same class as the ones they will end up racing?

See from 1:50 on in this youtube from Oracle racing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOURLUtXdkw

And this one, disaster after disaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvk4D-GlUgE

You must be correct obviously if you have some links. I haven't been paying as much attention since they shifted to these boats. The old boats were having problems as well. I remember during one race a few years back where an entire boat sunk in a matter of minutes during a race. The skippers were complaining that it was getting too dangerous as they continually tried to get a competitive advantage by making lighter ships, etc.
odelltrclan

Postby gh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:27 am

This morning's SF Chron sports front page has a big pic of a capsize from yesterday, as part of a story which says

<<..."It's going to be windy and, with the tide coming in, it will create a lot of havoc on the first part of the races because all the boats will be getting to the same spot at the same time," said Terry Hutchinson, the American skipper of Sweden's Artemis Racing White boat. "So there should be good carnage there."

Carnage? Yes, he said. "The boats will approach the mid-course mark at roughly 25 (knots), and everybody's basically fighting for the same spot. From there, the current will be sweeping everybody downwind, so there are a bunch of maneuvers that have to happen in a very short period of time.

"I'm expecting you'll see a couple of pileups."

But really, carnage?

"For sure," said Paul Campbell-James, the British helmsman of Italy's Luna Rossa Swordfish. "No one's done enough racing in 25-knots kind of stuff," he said. "San Francisco is one of the hardest places in the world to go sailing, and we're in one of the hardest boats you can possibly sail. It should be exciting.".....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Am ... z24Hz3p5Tv
gh

Postby Marlow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 am

gh wrote:Now that yacht racing has become a physical ordeal.

How has the boom rigging, sail changes, and even course settings (vis-a-vis wind shifts) NOT become automated?
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:32 am

If you haven't done so, check out the link on the front page about about TV commentary and watch the video...most amusing thing in days... you have to watch the whole thing to get it. :)
lonewolf

Postby gh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:05 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:Now that yacht racing has become a physical ordeal.

How has the boom rigging, sail changes, and even course settings (vis-a-vis wind shifts) NOT become automated?

Aside from cost issues, sailboat racing is all about being a step or ahead or two of the apparent air/tide issues. Sounds like voodoo, but I've raced with guys who can read the water and wind from far away. Not to mention there's always the variable--particulalry in match racing--of what the guy next to you does.

Besides, where's the fun in "automated" racing? Might as well send out boats without any people on them at all.
gh

Postby Marlow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 am

gh wrote:Besides, where's the fun in "automated" racing? Might as well send out boats without any people on them at all.

Drone Racing - next on ESPN Z!! (with, of course, better ratings than T&F).
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:45 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:Besides, where's the fun in "automated" racing? Might as well send out boats without any people on them at all.

Drone Racing - next on ESPN Z!! (with, of course, better ratings than T&F).

You laugh. I am sure in the not too distance future, there will be some reality show, called Kill the Terrorist, where some poor soul is sent into the woods and drone teams will see who can get the dude first.

Now back to the sailing....
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Tuariki » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:54 am

gh wrote:<<In the 161-year history of the America’s Cup, Russell Coutts is probably the most influential person. He can’t influence the effects of aging, though, especially now that yacht racing has become a physical ordeal.

That's Sir Russell Coutts, GH. A former New Zealand Olympic champion as well.

Kiwis may not be able to match the Jamaicans on the track when it comes to the Olympics but we do pretty well when we are sitting on our arses on the water.
Tuariki

Postby meninblack » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:49 am

Tuariki wrote:That's Sir Russell Coutts, GH. A former New Zealand Olympic champion as well.

Kiwis may not be able to match the Jamaicans on the track when it comes to the Olympics but we do pretty well when we are sitting on our arses on the water.

Funny post considering how "unpopular" RC is with many Kiwis since he abandoned TeamNZ
meninblack

Postby Tuariki » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 pm

meninblack wrote:
Tuariki wrote:That's Sir Russell Coutts, GH. A former New Zealand Olympic champion as well.

Funny post considering how "unpopular" RC is with many Kiwis since he abandoned TeamNZ

A "tongue in cheek" comment. However, personally, I am fully supportive of what Coutts did because at the end of the day loyalty should first be to oneself and one's family. Larry Ellison offered him a squillion dollars and he would have been a mug and an idiot to not take it.

Prior to NZ winning the America's Cup the Auckland waterfront was a pretty shabby affair. The investment in the infrastructure of the Viaduct, as a result of the America's Cup defences, completely reinvigorated the waterfront. Coutt's fully deserved his knighthood. He certainly did a lot for New Zealand, even if, as you have noted, some small minded individuals believed he should have stayed on in New Zealand in underpaid servitude.
Tuariki

Postby mal » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:42 am

I thought Kiwis crewed all of the A C boats.

They are fantastic sailers.
mal

Postby gh » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:29 am

Tuariki wrote:
gh wrote:<<In the 161-year history of the America’s Cup, Russell Coutts is probably the most influential person. He can’t influence the effects of aging, though, especially now that yacht racing has become a physical ordeal.

That's Sir Russell Coutts, GH. A former New Zealand Olympic champion as well.

Coutts knows who Joe Montana is?!

<<Joe Cool and Sir Russell: Oracle Racing CEO Russell Coutts is quickly becoming a man about town in these parts. The cocksure Kiwi is everywhere, either racing his catamaran in the bay, hobnobbing at a swanky party or promoting the sport of sailing at some civic event.
We had a chance to see Coutts - which rhymes with boots - a number of times in the past week as the America's Cup World Series hit full stride offshore and on. The man was burning it at both ends, hosting parties at night while captaining his own boat for Larry Ellison's hometown team.

The city suits Coutts. As he puts it, "You'd have to take a long look at yourself if you didn't like San Francisco. You can walk around, catch a tram, ride your bike around. And great music everywhere."

It doesn't hurt that Coutts is living downtown at the swanky Millennium Tower, home to billionaire financiers like Tom Perkins and millionaire sports execs like Carmen Policy.
Coutts got a feel for his fancy neighbors the other day in the building's gym.

"Joe Montana tapped me on the shoulder the first time I was in the gym," said Coutts, referring to another one of his neighbors. "I'm on the treadmill, listening to the Stones, and I'm thinking, 'Who the hell is this?' I turn around and it's Joe Montana! He said he just wanted to welcome me to the building.
"I ran about 10 miles per hour faster after that.">>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/fromthespo ... z24fcmnm22
gh

Postby gh » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:10 am

Coutts wins the match-race segment; final fleet race abut to start.

Great stream available here

http://www.americascup.com/

... if you're not an American that is.

Since NBC has it on live (imagine that!), the stream is disabled domestically.
gh

Postby cullman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:14 am

Hokey smokes, that was a close one in the last match race. Fleet race should be nuts...in a good way. Was that Michael Johnson on the tube?
cullman

Postby gh » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:27 am

yeah, MJ is the ballast on the Coutts' boat (I put a thread in Current Events).

He looked pretty nervous when the water started hitting him in hte face.
gh

Postby cullman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:55 am

He was the ballast. Nice onboard shot of MJ disappearing off the back of the boat.
cullman

Postby gh » Thu May 09, 2013 2:36 pm

gh wrote:This morning's SF Chron sports front page has a big pic of a capsize from yesterday, as part of a story which says

<<..."It's going to be windy and, with the tide coming in, it will create a lot of havoc on the first part of the races because all the boats will be getting to the same spot at the same time," said Terry Hutchinson, the American skipper of Sweden's Artemis Racing White boat. "So there should be good carnage there."

Carnage? Yes, he said. "The boats will approach the mid-course mark at roughly 25 (knots), and everybody's basically fighting for the same spot. From there, the current will be sweeping everybody downwind, so there are a bunch of maneuvers that have to happen in a very short period of time.

"I'm expecting you'll see a couple of pileups."

But really, carnage?

"For sure," said Paul Campbell-James, the British helmsman of Italy's Luna Rossa Swordfish. "No one's done enough racing in 25-knots kind of stuff," he said. "San Francisco is one of the hardest places in the world to go sailing, and we're in one of the hardest boats you can possibly sail. It should be exciting.".....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Am ... z24Hz3p5Tv

the carnage begins.... http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lec ... Ywk0pX5GkD
gh

Postby bambam » Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

The dead crewman is apparently Andrew Simpson, two-time British Olympic medalist in 2008-12 (gold in 08).
bambam

Postby odelltrclan » Thu May 09, 2013 3:12 pm

That stinks! Why are they using Catamaran's again?
odelltrclan

Postby gh » Thu May 09, 2013 4:55 pm

simple answer? because boys like toys, and billionaire boys like big toys.

This, sadly, puts an exclamation point on the folly of creating a race that only the rich-rich-rich can pursue, which had already led to most teams dropping out.

I have no problem with cats as a whole, but stick with the 45s and forget this 72 bullshit.
gh