Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Postby DrJay » Thu May 02, 2013 3:48 am

15F right now, 4" snow. This is getting really, really old. Still haven't heard the weatherman give us an explanation. Likely has to do with the jet stream or La Bamba or something like that.
DrJay

Postby Conor Dary » Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 am

Yes, spring, Front Range weather. Such fun. The nice thing is the sun is so strong this time of year the snow melts pretty quickly.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby donley2 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Pretty dang unusual to talk about a wind chill in North Texas in May. Record for tomorrow is 41 at DFW airport. Predicted overnight low is 36. Already in the low 40's with the wind blowing out of the north 15 gusting to 25 or 30 mph. Nasty.
donley2

Postby bambam » Sat May 04, 2013 4:59 pm

High of 59 today in Durham with rain for about 8th consecutive day. Got a tweet today from the daughter of a well-known basketball coach who asked "Can we please have spring? This is getting depressing" Had to agree with her
bambam

Postby DrJay » Sun May 05, 2013 9:53 am

bambam wrote:High of 59 today in Durham with rain for about 8th consecutive day. Got a tweet today from the daughter of a well-known basketball coach who asked "Can we please have spring? This is getting depressing" Had to agree with her

Those Dookies! Always wanting everything their way! :wink:
DrJay

Postby bambam » Sun May 05, 2013 10:40 pm

DrJay wrote:
bambam wrote:High of 59 today in Durham with rain for about 8th consecutive day. Got a tweet today from the daughter of a well-known basketball coach who asked "Can we please have spring? This is getting depressing" Had to agree with her

Those Dookies! Always wanting everything their way! :wink:

Yeah, well, high of about 54 today and rain all day. If you watched the Charlotte PGA Tour event on the tube, you saw what we were getting. Still miserable and supposed to rain the next 2 days but it is supposed to warm up later this week. Finally.
bambam

Postby Marlow » Mon May 06, 2013 5:01 am

So, after two MISERABLE days for the State HS Championships (worst conditions for PV I've ever dealt with), now it's brilliantly clear blue skies with mild winds and warm temperatures. Sigh.
Marlow

Postby DrJay » Fri May 17, 2013 10:38 am

After bitching a few weeks ago, I should go on record as sayng the weather is absolutley beautiful the last six days. A nice run in a park at lunch today on REAL grass, green and freshly cut.
DrJay

Postby gh » Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 am

nothing "funny" about this. My favorite Swiss village (I even named a dog after it!) is in glacier danger (make that former glacier)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/30/world ... html?_r=1&
gh

Postby Marlow » Thu May 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Failed to mention this from 10 days ago:

A new study confirms there is strong scientific consensus that human activities are causing the planet to warm. 97 percent of scientific papers (that take a stance on the issue) agree, the study finds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... -what-now/

The anti-GW factions kicked into high gear within days . . . :roll:
Marlow

Postby observer2 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm

North of Arctic Circle - 85F

In north Sweden, north of arctic circle. Today 85F or 29,2 Celsius

Probably hottest ever in that part of Europe. Ice and snow faces a tough time not so very far from North Pole..
observer2

Postby Olli » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:04 am

That's nothin'. In Utsjoki, the northenmost place in Finland, about 70° northern latitude, it was 31.6 °C today.
Olli

Postby EPelle » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:28 am

Unobserved, but some of New Zealand's glaciers have been melting away (article dates back to 2012): http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/7 ... lting-away
EPelle

Postby EPelle » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:25 am

A lake spring has spawned the birth of BILLIONS of mosquitoes in Minnesota, their unofficial state bird.
EPelle

Postby tandfman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Here's one way to deal with those who deny science facts, particularly those relating to climate change.

http://www.upworthy.com/this-is-probabl ... r-2?c=upw1
Last edited by tandfman on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tandfman

Postby lonewolf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:45 pm

I don't see anything scientific about a failed attempt at humor (?) in re-naming storms after prominent Republicans. What is the point?
Science is not a political issue. There are people of every political stripe with diverse opinions about "climate change."
Weather changes daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.. climate changes over millenia/eons and there is nothing politics/people can do to influence it, good or bad.
lonewolf

Postby Helen S » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Mr. Wolf, respectfully I have to disagree with you. The human influence on COs2 emaissions and it's effect on the climate seems pretty well documented and accepted by an overwhelming percentage of those in the science community.
I agree with you that storms should not just be named after republicans, but anyone who denies the negative human influence on our environment. That will mean a higher percentage of republicans though.
Helen S

Postby gh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Note that not everybody in the video is a Republican.... as the intro noted, there are people on both sides of the aisle whose scientific comprehension is less than sterling.
gh

Postby user4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Helen S wrote:Mr. Wolf, respectfully I have to disagree with you. The human influence on CO2 emissions and it's effect on the climate seems pretty well documented and accepted by an overwhelming percentage of those in the science community.
I agree with you that storms should not just be named after republicans, but anyone who denies the negative human influence on our environment. That will mean a higher percentage of republicans though.

Ms Helen. I respectfully disagree with you. Human influence on the environment has meant untold and vast good, saving countless human lives from the diverse and unyielding wilds of nature. You certainly should not give republicans so much credit for it.

When the northernmost 30 states start to have bitter bitter cold winters again the zeitgeist will change and men will start to ponder the thermal cooling of the earth and dream nightmares of an ever expanding universe heading for 0 degrees Kelvin.
user4

Postby Pego » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:14 pm

user4 wrote:Ms Helen

This has nothing to do with the subject matter, but for the accuracy sake, Helen S is a man :D .
Pego

Postby kuha » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:18 pm

lonewolf wrote:Science is not a political issue. There are people of every political stripe with diverse opinions about "climate change."

This is far less true than it should be.
kuha

Postby Daisy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Pego wrote:but for the accuracy sake, Helen S is a man :D .

Helen is male! That makes no sense. ;)

That video about naming hurricanes after politicians is very tongue in cheek. And for the record, I thought it was pretty funny. :twisted:
Daisy

Postby user4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Daisy wrote:
Pego wrote:but for the accuracy sake, Helen S is a man :D .

Helen is male! That makes no sense. ;)

That video about naming hurricanes after politicians is very tongue in cheek. And for the record, I thought it was pretty funny. :twisted:

Helen hath no fury like the wrath of a Hurricane.
user4

Postby tandfman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Daisy wrote:That video about naming hurricanes after politicians is very tongue in cheek. And for the record, I thought it was pretty funny. :twisted:

And for the record, I thought so too, which was why I shared it here.
tandfman

Postby user4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:16 pm

lonewolf wrote:I don't see anything scientific about a failed attempt at humor (?) in re-naming storms after prominent Republicans. What is the point?
Science is not a political issue. There are people of every political stripe with diverse opinions about "climate change."
Weather changes daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.. climate changes over millenia/eons and there is nothing politics/people can do to influence it, good or bad.

The video is designed to give people a very warm wholesome feeling of moral superiority about something they have absolutely no control. It is more religion than science, full of the axiomatic.

I wonder what the Norsemen/Vikings thought about the weather from 700 until 1200 AD. .. and then what did they think around 1300 when things started to get bitter cold. Did they have the moral capacity to attribute the cold change in the weather to their own looting and plundering of the coastal areas of Europe.
user4

Postby lonewolf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 pm

user4 wrote:[
The video is designed to give people a very warm wholesome feeling of moral superiority about something they have absolutely no control. It is more religion than science, full of the axiomatic.

I wonder what the Norsemen/Vikings thought about the weather from 700 until 1200 AD. .. and then what did they think around 1300 when things started to get bitter cold. Did they have the moral capacity to attribute the cold change in the weather to their own looting and plundering of the coastal areas of Europe.

Well , they failed in the warm fuzzy objective but the part about having no control is true....and , yes, it is more ideology/religion than science, which is far from being settled in favor of "man made" change. The only thing man made about climate change is the hysteria that birthed the ongoing, completely illogical carbon credit scam.

Having no logical scapegoats, I suspect the Vikings just accepted the mini Ice Age for what it was, it got colder before it got warmer again, just, and they did not even have benefit of that knowledge, as it has been doing for a couple of billion years and will continue to do.

Man is so puny in the face of the forces of nature and insignificant in the history of Earths evolution, I cannot understand why anyone frets over the inevitable,, what will be will be.
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Helen S wrote:Mr. Wolf, respectfully I have to disagree with you. The human influence on COs2 emaissions and it's effect on the climate seems pretty well documented and accepted by an overwhelming percentage of those in the science community.

Helen, I believe the tide has turned and an overwhelming majority of "scientist", particularly meterological scientists, now discount the effect of human CO2 contribution vs natural emissions of plants, volcanic activity,forest fires, etc...
A few years ago, some people agonized over the hole in the ozone layer over Anarctica and even stopped production of freon. Well, turns out the hole vacillates a lot.. Now, they are leaning toward abnormal sun spot activity. Stay tuned.
Aside from the fact that so-called "climate change" has nothing to do with tornadoes or hurricanes, they can name em all after me because I unabashedly deny the effect of humans on climate.
lonewolf

Postby Daisy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:57 pm

lonewolf wrote:now discount the effect of human CO2 contribution vs natural emissions of plants, volcanic activity,forest fires, etc.

Burning trees is carbon neutral on a geological time scale. The exception being the recent destruction of the rainforests but the latter is definitely man made.
Daisy

Postby Pego » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:01 am

lonewolf wrote:an overwhelming majority of "scientist", particularly meterological scientists, now discount the effect of human CO2 contribution vs natural emissions of plants, volcanic activity,forest fires, etc...

These 11 Academies of Science evidently do not as this joint position indicates.
http://nationalacademies.org/onpi/06072005.pdf

If you say that is old, here is a statement of the American Geophysical Union hot off the presses.
http://www.agu.org/news/press/pr_archiv ... 3-38.shtml
Pego

Postby Marlow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:58 am

lonewolf wrote:now discount the effect of human CO2 contribution vs natural emissions of plants, volcanic activity,forest fires, etc...

Dog-pile on lonewolf!!!! :twisted:
I don't believe there is ANYone, including yourself, who discounts the reality and detriment of man's pollution of the planet - land, sea, and air. The scientific community, in just the last year or so, has overwhelmingly come to the conclusion that man-made pollutants are indeed 'contributing' to Global Warming (which most definitely is happening), so the only remaining question is (and it is a legitimate question), how much? My opinion is that 'any' is too much, though I do acknowledge the necessity of industrialization in this modern world.

P.S. I still love you, man! :D
Marlow

Postby user4 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 am

Marlow wrote:The scientific community, in just the last year or so, has overwhelmingly come to the conclusion that man-made pollutants are indeed 'contributing' to Global Warming (which most definitely is happening), so the only remaining question is (and it is a legitimate question), how much? My opinion is that 'any' is too much, though I do acknowledge the necessity of industrialization in this modern world. :D

If you believe that and if you really believe that "any" really is too much then you cant possibly think industrialization is necessary. Rather you should think it is to be stopped and reversed.
user4

Postby jeremyp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:08 am

It's all due to an increase in humans, doing what humans do: Flatulence. If we corked up those who eat cabbage and beans (you know who you are) we'd have fewer forest fires and hurricanes. I checked with my kitten and he gave me paws up on this one.
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:32 am

Apparently, we are not all reading the same "scientific" articles and/or observing the cyclical nature of climate worldwide since long before there were humans on the planet..

I don't know how human's came to occupy this planet but I believe we are entitled to use its resources. Does anyone seriously think we could or would be willing to undo technical/industrial progress? Or, you may consider it regression if you prefer a Stone Age lifestyle. :)

Happily, we are all free to choose. I choose to live in what others may call blissfully ignorant comfort rather than fretting about what I consider unwarranted concern over man's puny trangressions upon nature.

This is one of those unresolvable impasses. Go in peace.
lonewolf

Postby kuha » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:14 pm

All of that sounds more theological to me than scientific.
kuha

Postby Marlow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:00 pm

lonewolf wrote:Go in peace.

to love and (pre)serve the earth . . . :D
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Step 1: No one with any sense denies that the atmosphere has more CO2 now than 30, and 50, and 100 years ago and that the reason is human activity. That is not a fact in dispute by anyone with any credibility and every strong advocate that there is not systematic human-caused climate change has disassociated themselves from those that have.

Step 2: the link between the chemical changes in the atmosphere and climate is basically very strong, but the dimension and timing is more uncertain, and this is the point where people more reasonably can different, although I think that the evidence and theory is pretty decent about it not being too delayed.

Step 3: What are the consequences of higher CO2 and warmer temps. I have a paper in Nature more than 20 years ago the estimated the impacts on the US agricultural sector; there are winners and losers in that domain because CO2 acts to make plants grow more quickly and warmer temps help in more extreme (40++ deg N and S, mainly northern because there is not much at the southern extreme) latitudes. Where you can irrigate you are likely a winner. Other primary effects are more problematic; having more shoreline in currently inland areas might help a few, but low-lying areas will eventually have big problems.

Even more scope for disagreement at this stage.

Step 4: What to do about it, and are the costs of doing things greater than the effects of Climate Change. Part of the issue is that some gain with some sets of policies (looking at funding for positions, energy firms feel that they are better off not doing anything, which is not too surprising)

Even more room for disagreement on this step.
26mi235

Postby user4 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:31 pm

26mi235 wrote:Step 1: No one with any sense denies that the atmosphere has more CO2 now than 30, and 50, and 100 years ago and that the reason is human activity. That is not a fact in dispute by anyone with any credibility and every strong advocate that there is not systematic human-caused climate change has disassociated themselves from those that have.

Step 1, I dont know what you just said there.

26mi235 wrote:Step 4: What to do about it, and are the costs of doing things greater than the effects of Climate Change. Part of the issue is that some gain with some sets of policies (looking at funding for positions, energy firms feel that they are better off not doing anything, which is not too surprising)
Even more room for disagreement on this step.

Ill even disagree that energy firms (flush with more cash than most nations) can not profit regardless of the political climate. They will merrily "go-green" and work the carbon credit hustle to bigger profits as they stuff cash in politicians pockets of every persuasion.

The end result will be that energy companies get fabulously wealthy, politicians get fabulously wealthy and the average joe pays more in taxes and fuel and has the honor of getting the warm and fuzzy feeling that he is saving the planet. It is a win win for everyone.
user4

Postby Marlow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:52 pm

user4 wrote:If you believe that and if you really believe that "any" really is too much then you cant possibly think industrialization is necessary. Rather you should think it is to be stopped and reversed.

Logic error.
Like lonewolf, I believe that the earth can sustain a certain amount of industrialization and flourish. It's like peeing in a really big pool. If one person does it, no one's the wiser or worse off. If everyone does it, then you have a real problem. Right now there is just too much pee in the pool.
Marlow

Postby user4 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Marlow wrote:
user4 wrote:If you believe that and if you really believe that "any" really is too much then you cant possibly think industrialization is necessary. Rather you should think it is to be stopped and reversed.

Logic error.
Like lonewolf, I believe that the earth can sustain a certain amount of industrialization and flourish. It's like peeing in a really big pool. If one person does it, no one's the wiser or worse off. If everyone does it, then you have a real problem. Right now there is just too much pee in the pool.

That was not what you said, you said:
Marlow wrote: My opinion is that 'any' is too much, though I do acknowledge the necessity of industrialization in this modern world. :D

Those two clauses, statements contradict each other.
user4

Postby Marlow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:54 pm

user4 wrote:
Marlow wrote: My opinion is that 'any' is too much, though I do acknowledge the necessity of industrialization in this modern world. :D

Those two clauses, statements contradict each other.

You're being waaay too literal. Literary license allows (demands?) an emphatic statement for effect. The astute reader is to infer its actual scope and intent.
Marlow

PreviousNext