Fasttracks ones to watch(Sprints)

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Fasttracks ones to watch(Sprints)

Postby fasttrack85 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:11 pm

While it is still early in the season I have noticed that a few people are making sure to make a statement from the get.

1. Natasha Hastings- has run 11.24 twice this spring(one slightly wind aided) a 50.88 indoors a win against VCB in the 200 and a stellar leg at Penn relays. She is out to make a team this year in some event.

2. Blessing Okagbare- has run a strong 300 meter(37.04) and already has a world leading 22.31 to her name. I am not sure what her start looks like this year but you know she can finish(did you see her semifinal in london?). Watch out for the Nigerian Nemesis.

3. Andrew Riley- its very rare you find a hurdle who can be competitive at a similar distance sans hurdles. Riley has 10 flat speed and can start. He is transitioning to being a pro and I fully expect him to put the pieces together quickly. He has already put a loss on the world record holders resume for 2013. It would be a shock if he didnt make the Jamaican team to Moscow.

4. Brianna Rollins- its very rare to find a collegiate who could easily put away every single pro at a particular distance. Who could really compete with her at 60 meter hurdles this year? Only a select few have run faster than her 7.78 which I am sure will be the NCAA record for a very long time. She has a 12.54(2.1) ,that is slightly wind aided, proving that she will transition nicely into 100 meter hurdles rest of the season barring injury. Either way the womens 100 meter hurdles is more backed than ever.

5. Ameer Webb- there is a spot on the 200 to moscow with his name on it. With a 20.37 indoors and a 20.56 into a 3.6 headwind shows that he is ready to run with the big boys. Look out.

fasttrack85

Re: Fasttracks ones to watch(Sprints)

Postby fasttrack85 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:12 pm

6. Ashley Spencer- I don't know what event this girl is going to do at Big Ten or NCAA or Nationals. Whatever she does she will be good at. While I still think the 400 flat is her best event I just trust that her true talent will shine at whatever she decides to do. I think this is the reincarnation of Allyson Felix(even though she is still alive). Watch out for this one.

7. Kimberly Duncan- All the collegiate girls will breathe a sigh of relief in May when Kim Duncan walks across that stage to collect her degree. Her reign of terror will finally be over and they can start hoping to possibly win a 200 race(Auriell Scott lucked out by the skin of her teeth). The true question is will she start instilling fear in the pros who want to make the 200 team as well. Last year she looked pretty solid and almost made the oly teamafter a very long season. If Sanya doesn't return to top form this year I say she is on the team no if ands or buts. At this point only Felix and Jeter are better and the latter is still questionable.

Honorable Mentions: Queen Harrison, Vashti Thomas, Christina Manning, Leuguelin Santos, many more.
fasttrack85

Postby t_monk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Nice round up.

I would also add Carrie Russell, Stephanie McPherson, Yoshihide Kiryu (probably the first sub-10), Shaunea Miller and English Gardener
t_monk

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:40 pm

A kid from (U of) Mississippi ran 10.07/2.1, which is a pretty buff time for someone I had never heard of.
26mi235

Postby sprintdoc » Wed May 01, 2013 5:45 pm

The "kid" from U of MIssissippi is actually an Olympian for the US in the 200 - Isiah Young who showed the effects of either a long collegiate season or being overwhelmed by the Games when he failed to advance out of the 1st round of the 200 in London.
sprintdoc

Postby gktrack » Wed May 01, 2013 7:52 pm

fasttrack85 wrote:5. Ameer Webb- there is a spot on the 200 to moscow with his name on it. With a 20.37 indoors and a 20.56 into a 3.6 headwind shows that he is ready to run with the big boys. Look out.....................

Also showed some extra strength after a few races at Penn, running a very respectable 46 flat opening split in the final event at Penn (college 4x4). Big strong kid who has shown he can run rounds and still perform at a high level. Hope the long college indoor/outdoor season doesn't burn him out though.
gktrack