Marvin Bracy Going Pro?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Marvin Bracy Going Pro?

Postby gktrack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:52 pm

From T&FN's headline section... Bracy always seems somewhat mysterious to me, so not sure what to read into this, but will be curious to see where this goes from here.

Today's Orlando Sentinel article discusses it a bit more:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/chopping-block/os-cb-florida-state-fsu-marvin-bracy-track-20130430,0,2488496.post
gktrack

Re: Marvin Bracy Going Pro?

Postby Marlow » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Having seen him sprint, I sure didn't think he seemed durable enough to take a D1 pounding. Good decision if he goes T&F pro.
Marlow

Postby ATK » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:26 pm

I think it would be a bad idea. I can see him not obtaining his definition of immediate success but instead of going back to college track, he goes to football...

I find it very odd for going pro to even be an option. At this point, not only has he not really done anything of significance, but hes simply just no where near "pro fast" to be a factor for anything.
ATK

Postby JumboElliott » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Ajee Wilson isn't elite in the international sense beyond age group, are you saying that's a bad choice/investment?
JumboElliott

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Wed May 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Bracy getting lots of bad advice from high school/club coach/agent, with visions of grandeur.
Stayed away from spring football practice, and hasn't been to track practice or rehab since early April? Wonder if he managed to make it to class?
Bruce Kritzler

Postby Dave » Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 pm

ATK wrote:I think it would be a bad idea. I can see him not obtaining his definition of immediate success but instead of going back to college track, he goes to football...

I find it very odd for going pro to even be an option. At this point, not only has he not really done anything of significance, but hes simply just no where near "pro fast" to be a factor for anything.

Look at what did other eventual world class sprinters run at his age in the 60/100. He is certainly on track to be with the big kids.

Bracy: 6.54/10.25
Tyson Gay: 6.65/10.27
Usain Bolt: */10.03
*Asafa Powell: 6.57/10.12

*age 21
Dave

Postby justrunfast » Wed May 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Dave wrote:
ATK wrote:I think it would be a bad idea. I can see him not obtaining his definition of immediate success but instead of going back to college track, he goes to football...

Look at what did other eventual world class sprinters run at his age in the 60/100. He is certainly on track to be with the big kids.

Bracy: 6.54/10.25
Tyson Gay: 6.65/10.27
Usain Bolt: */10.03
*Asafa Powell: 6.57/10.12

*age 21

You could add about 10 others to that stat who didnt make it
justrunfast

Postby gh » Wed May 01, 2013 2:29 pm

aside from the long(er) list of those who didn't make it, the Bracy times there show only that he's already a world-class dude in the 60.

With a legal best of 10.25 in the 100 at age 19, he's got a lot to prove before he can be considered a force at the full distance. And that's where the money is.
gh

Postby Marlow » Wed May 01, 2013 3:07 pm

gh wrote:With a legal best of 10.25 in the 100 at age 19, he's got a lot to prove before he can be considered a force at the full distance. And that's where the money is.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, but he may be the next incarnation of Houston McTear (not that there's anything wrong with that!).
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:27 pm

He may be a little closer to Demi Omole (Wisconsin) who was very good at the 60, good at the 100 (only sub-10 was wind-aided, but not massively) and so-so at 200.
26mi235

Postby ATK » Wed May 01, 2013 6:39 pm

JumboElliott wrote:Ajee Wilson isn't elite in the international sense beyond age group, are you saying that's a bad choice/investment?

Two completely different events. Im willing to bet more people would be way more surprised to see Bracy make the USA's team in the 100 this year than Wilson in the 800.
ATK

Postby JumboElliott » Wed May 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Also completely different in terms of possible return on investment. If Marvin Bracy becomes an Olympic gold medalist it's worth much more for the company than if Ajee Wilson does.
JumboElliott

Postby 26mi235 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Jumbo, I am not sure that you are right. I think that Ajee would be hugely marketable in the general sense. Yes, the 800 is not so 'known' but she might end up edging into golden girl status. If Jordan Hasay wins, look for that also to have huge publicity behind it (swoosh?!).
26mi235

Postby JumboElliott » Thu May 02, 2013 6:10 am

The last time the person who was the undisputably biggest track star in the United States wasn't a male sprinter was probably either Bruce Jenner in 1976, or when Jim Ryun was breaking world records.
Last edited by JumboElliott on Thu May 02, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JumboElliott

Postby gh » Thu May 02, 2013 6:11 am

Prefontaine and Shorter would be surprised to learn that.
gh

Postby JumboElliott » Thu May 02, 2013 6:21 am

My point remains largely the same. The most popular track athlete in America is a Jamaican. I don't even know if it's close.
JumboElliott

Postby aaronk » Fri May 03, 2013 1:21 am

ATK wrote:
JumboElliott wrote:Ajee Wilson isn't elite in the international sense beyond age group, are you saying that's a bad choice/investment?

Two completely different events. Im willing to bet more people would be way more surprised to see Bracy make the USA's team in the 100 this year than Wilson in the 800.

Bracy's major claim to fame is his wind-aided 10.06, isn't it??
And maybe his indoor 60 times.
Ajee Wilson WON the WJC 800 last year, and is the 2nd fastest HS 800 girl ever!!

If I had a few million $$$$$$ to invest, I sure as heck wouldn't even CONSIDER Bracy......unless or until he runs a LEGAL 10.06......and even then, doing so now, when he's older, and doing so when he was still in HS.....are two completely different circumstances.

Who's going to put Bracy in the same race as Bolt, Blake, Gay, Gatlin, Lemaitre, etc etc??
aaronk

Postby JumboElliott » Fri May 03, 2013 6:31 am

Adidas needs to market their products to people who could give a shit about track. Those people are more likely to have heard of Marvin Bracy than Ajee Wilson if they both become stars.

I doubt he's getting too much money anyways.
JumboElliott

Postby beebee » Fri May 03, 2013 7:00 am

The US has lost so many great athletes over the years to American pro football...and probably the NBA as well :(

Good to see this talented young man becoming a pro track athlete and avoiding the body destroying American football.
beebee

Postby Dave » Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 am

beebee wrote:The US has lost so many great athletes over the years to American pro football...and probably the NBA as well :(

Good to see this talented young man becoming a pro track athlete and avoiding the body destroying American football.

Exactly. Let's hope he takes care of himself in this sport and he reaches his potential.
Dave

Postby ATK » Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 am

Dave wrote:
beebee wrote:The US has lost so many great athletes over the years to American pro football...and probably the NBA as well :(

Exactly. Let's hope he takes care of himself in this sport and he reaches his potential.

Like I said, I'm worried that the lack of immediate/short term success may defer his choice.
And what exactly does going pro mean? Did he actually get a contract?
ATK

Postby beebee » Fri May 03, 2013 8:33 am

ATK wrote:
Dave wrote:

Like I said, I'm worried that the lack of immediate/short term success may defer his choice.

Splitting time between football and track many have contributed to Bracy not yet reaching his potential. I'd like to see more American teenagers go the route Felix and now Wilson took, not bounding and over working themselves at some college while trying to remain academically eligible...and not making any damn money!
beebee

Postby ATK » Fri May 03, 2013 3:31 pm

beebee wrote:
ATK wrote:
Dave wrote:

Splitting time between football and track many have contributed to Bracy not yet reaching his potential. I'd like to see more American teenagers go the route Felix and now Wilson took, not bounding and over working themselves at some college while trying to remain academically eligible...and not making any damn money!

Felix and Wilson were top of their class coming out of HS. Wilson is a wjc and basically one of the top US 800 runners. Felix was an Olympic silver medalist before sitting in her first college class. Both of them gained pro contracts from a major Major sponsor.

Please inform me what Bracy has done to attract any sponsor at this point.
ATK

Postby JumboElliott » Fri May 03, 2013 3:52 pm

It's the same thing as a Major League Baseball team signing a high school kid to a $1 million contract knowing that they have a one in ten chance of making it to the show. I doubt Bracy is getting that much money anyway.
JumboElliott

Postby beebee » Fri May 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Good to see this talented young man becoming a pro track athlete and avoiding the body destroying American football.[/quote]

Exactly. Let's hope he takes care of himself in this sport and he reaches his potential.[/quote]
And what exactly does going pro mean? Did he actually get a contract?[/quote]

Splitting time between football and track many have contributed to Bracy not yet reaching his potential. I'd like to see more American teenagers go the route Felix and now Wilson took, not bounding and over working themselves at some college while trying to remain academically eligible...and not making any damn money![/quote]
Felix and Wilson were top of their class coming out of HS. Wilson is a wjc and basically one of the top US 800 runners. Felix was an Olympic silver medalist before sitting in her first college class. Both of them gained pro contracts from a major Major sponsor.

Please inform me what Bracy has done to attract any sponsor at this point.[/quote]

Reread my post sir...I specified "potential" I wish that more African American US men would discontinue splitting their time between football and track...that old axiom "you can't get full-time results from part-time training. Never suggested that Bracy was the equivalent of those two ladies. He clearly has the POTENTIAL.
beebee

Postby ATK » Sat May 04, 2013 8:13 am

beebee wrote:
ATK wrote:
beebee wrote:Splitting time between football and track many have contributed to Bracy not yet reaching his potential. I'd like to see more American teenagers go the route Felix and now Wilson took, not bounding and over working themselves at some college while trying to remain academically eligible...and not making any damn money!

Reread my post sir...I specified "potential" I wish that more African American US men would discontinue splitting their time between football and track...that old axiom "you can't get full-time results from part-time training. Never suggested that Bracy was the equivalent of those two ladies. He clearly has the POTENTIAL.

You just switch your words around. You pointed out that you would like to more American teens go the route Felix and Wilson took. AKA Pro.
This topic is discussing the rumor that Bracy is taking that route.
My post was pointing out that most teens cannot just do that unless they are top in the world (Felix) or the US (Wilson).
Yes, Bracy has tons of potential, but there is nothing that sets his potential apart from many many other athletes around his age. Bracy hasn't really done anything significant to gain a contract solely based on potential.
ATK

Postby JumboElliott » Sat May 04, 2013 9:04 am

Aside from the fact that he was the best junior 100m runner in the Western Hemisphere for two years?
JumboElliott

Postby beebee » Sat May 04, 2013 9:07 am

ATK wrote:
beebee wrote:
ATK wrote:
beebee wrote:Splitting time between football and track many have contributed to Bracy not yet reaching his potential. I'd like to see more American teenagers go the route Felix and now Wilson took, not bounding and over working themselves at some college while trying to remain academically eligible...and not making any damn money!

You just switch your words around. You pointed out that you would like to more American teens go the route Felix and Wilson took. AKA Pro.
This topic is discussing the rumor that Bracy is taking that route.
My post was pointing out that most teens cannot just do that unless they are top in the world (Felix) or the US (Wilson).
Yes, Bracy has tons of potential, but there is nothing that sets his potential apart from many many other athletes around his age. Bracy hasn't really done anything significant to gain a contract solely based on potential.

I won't debate you and your grammar school comprehension skills. My point was that I don't believe that college is for everyone and those kids(many underprivileged) cannot be paid. Skipping college(like Wilson and Felix) might make sense for some of them. I never mentioned professional contracts...YOU DID. This young man cannot be properly judged because he has split his time between track and football thus far, which is why comparing his situation exactly to those ladies is silly. Bracy has tons of potential and is much more advanced than many of the greats at the same stage. I believe it to be a good move(especially leaving football) and I wish him well.
beebee

Postby 26mi235 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:18 pm

I do not think that the hypothesized demographic fits Felix particularly well, and I am not sure that it works for Wilson either.
26mi235

Postby sprintdoc » Sat May 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Bracy may be "turning pro" as discussed but at the end of the day he will barely "make" any more money than he did at FSU (not talking about any illegal stuff from football boosters that is the norm at most Southern schools).

His "contract" is going to be at MOST $60,000 which he is likely signing due to some lack of academic effort and the upcoming result that was going to bring moving forward at FSU wehre they are still trying to escape the most recent academic scandal there.

While he may not have seriously "sought" an academic degree of value that Bracy was receiving from FSU in addition to scholarship money for tuition, books, room and board he also received money to pay for travel (much of it paid by pro athlete), as well as medical and massage tratement not to overlook. These become major issues to most pro athletes as they lose their college benefits.
sprintdoc

Postby Dave » Mon May 06, 2013 12:07 pm

gh wrote:aside from the long(er) list of those who didn't make it, the Bracy times there show only that he's already a world-class dude in the 60.

With a legal best of 10.25 in the 100 at age 19, he's got a lot to prove before he can be considered a force at the full distance. And that's where the money is.

I got curious and looked at a few more names. of course you are correct that there is a longer list of people who did not make it, but Bracy's times certainly seem to be inside of the experience of the top 5-6 sprinters on the all time list. I hadn't realized that it took a while for most sprinters to grow into peak 100m times. Most of those guys didn't break 10.1 before leaving college.(before they turned 22). Bolt was the exception....

If he stays healthy and avoids doing stupid things, he could expect to make a world/Olympic final by 2016.
Dave

Postby gktrack » Mon May 13, 2013 7:06 am

from T&FN's "Today's Top Headlines... confirmation from Marvin.
Will be training under Lance Brauman, Tyson's coach.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-fsu-marvin-bracy-signs-pro-track-adidas-20130511,0,5789869.story
gktrack

Postby Dave » Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 pm

gktrack wrote:from T&FN's "Today's Top Headlines... confirmation from Marvin.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-fsu-marvin-bracy-signs-pro-track-adidas-20130511,0,5789869.story

The article makes it sound like he made a well thought out, rational decision after having been burned on being able to do two sports. He won't make as much money, but he will likely be able to compete longer.
Dave

Postby batonless relay » Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Dave wrote:

The article makes it sound like he made a well thought out, rational decision after having been burned on being able to do two sports. He won't make as much money, but he will likely be able to compete longer.

Everything that he says or intimates in the video is also in the article; for a teenager I would rate it a well considered, rational decision. Hopefully, we will see more USA sprinters choosing the pro ranks to the US college system. Baseball, Tennis, Soccer, Hockey...the top athletes in those sports go straight to the pros (Tiger Woods became a pro before graduation) and even Basketball has a "one and done" though athletes can go to Europe and play. The top Jamaican/Caribbean kids are getting immediate "pro training" - some even doing it in the United States (Marc Burns, Darrell Brown, Dexter Lee, briefly; Ramone McKenzie and Nickel Ashmeade). So it's about time.
batonless relay

Postby Dave » Mon May 13, 2013 3:11 pm

batonless relay wrote:
Dave wrote:

Everything that he says or intimates in the video is also in the article; for a teenager I would rate it a well considered, rational decision. Hopefully, we will see more USA sprinters choosing the pro ranks to the US college system. Baseball, Tennis, Soccer, Hockey...the top athletes in those sports go straight to the pros (Tiger Woods became a pro before graduation) and even Basketball has a "one and done" though athletes can go to Europe and play. The top Jamaican/Caribbean kids are getting immediate "pro training" - some even doing it in the United States (Marc Burns, Darrell Brown, Dexter Lee, briefly; Ramone McKenzie and Nickel Ashmeade). So it's about time.

Perhaps that would serve to reduce the importance of athletics in American universities and that would not be a bad thing. Too much money is spent , too much attention is paid, and it is a diversion from the purpose of these universities.
Dave

Postby 18.99s » Tue May 14, 2013 7:03 am

Dave wrote:

I can see why he'd want to leave FSU, given the pressure they put on him to train for both sports. But when it comes to going pro (instead of transferring to another school that would give him a track-only full scholarship), it looks like either he or adidas made a bad decision. Either they're not paying him much, which means he gave up too much by leaving behind the education + travel & medical benefits of being on a scholarship, or they're paying him a lot which is a risky investment in a 10.25 sprinter who is still recovering from a long-time nagging injury.
18.99s

Postby batonless relay » Tue May 14, 2013 7:25 am

18.99s wrote:
Dave wrote:

I can see why he'd want to leave FSU, given the pressure they put on him to train for both sports. But when it comes to going pro (instead of transferring to another school that would give him a track-only full scholarship), it looks like either he or adidas made a bad decision. Either they're not paying him much, which means he gave up too much by leaving behind the education + travel & medical benefits of being on a scholarship, or they're paying him a lot which is a risky investment in a 10.25 sprinter who is still recovering from a long-time nagging injury.

Completely disagree. When Adidas signed Marc Burns and Darrell Brown, there education was included - and the same went for Felix and Webb with Nike. In almost all of these signings there has been an education rider.

Also, who says he's leaving an education behind? He can always go back to school - if that's what he wants (military people do it all the time); and if he wants to be the best sprinter he can be then it is best for him to do it NOW - full-time, not 4 years from now.

I also think it's a good move for Adidas. You get arguably the fastest American high school sprinter of the last few years to train full-time to replace the FASTEST American sprinter ever. This is similar to Green Bay drafting Aaron Rogers when you have Brett Favre.
batonless relay

Postby 18.99s » Tue May 14, 2013 9:23 am

batonless relay wrote:Completely disagree. When Adidas signed Marc Burns and Darrell Brown, there education was included - and the same went for Felix and Webb with Nike. In almost all of these signings there has been an education rider.

If that's the case with him, and he's getting at least a high-5-figure salary on top of that, it's a good move for him. However, given that he's outside the world top 100 in the 100m, and not in the US top 30, and still hasn't recovered from injury, I doubt he got anything more than $30,000 and free shoes.

Also, who says he's leaving an education behind?

I meant he'd be leaving a free education behind. Of course he can always go back to school later, but it's going to cost him tens of thousands of dollars.
18.99s

Postby beebee » Tue May 14, 2013 2:26 pm

This post provides a perfect reason why America's very greatest athletes are in pro football and the NBA...the money!

In fact all of our potentially best heavyweight boxers are playing linebacker, running back and free safety in the NFL.
beebee

Postby JumboElliott » Wed May 15, 2013 4:06 am

18.99s wrote:
batonless relay wrote:Completely disagree. When Adidas signed Marc Burns and Darrell Brown, there education was included - and the same went for Felix and Webb with Nike. In almost all of these signings there has been an education rider.

If that's the case with him, and he's getting at least a high-5-figure salary on top of that, it's a good move for him. However, given that he's outside the world top 100 in the 100m, and not in the US top 30, and still hasn't recovered from injury, I doubt he got anything more than $30,000 and free shoes.

Also, who says he's leaving an education behind?

I meant he'd be leaving a free education behind. Of course he can always go back to school later, but it's going to cost him tens of thousands of dollars.

Allyson Felix and Ajee Wilson both got free education from Adidas.
JumboElliott

Next