Universal Sports TV Diamond League Schedule

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Universal Sports TV Diamond League Schedule

Postby jamboy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Glad they finally got around to showing the meets live. I assume this is be sans the Ato Boldon voice overs and using the British commentators.

Unfortunately, I don't get Universal Sports anymore on Verizon FIOS and thus, I will have to watch the meets on the internet.

================================================================================

Universal Sports Network Broadcast Schedule: 2013 IAAF Diamond League
All Times ET - Subject to change – Log on to UniversalSports.com for updated times

Date Time Location
May 10 12:00 – 2:00 PM LIVE Doha
May 18 8:00 – 10:00 AM LIVE Shanghai
May 25 6:00 – 8:00 PM New York (re–air NBC show)
June 1 6:30 – 8:00 PM Eugene (re–air NBC show)
June 6 2:00 – 4:00 PM LIVE Rome
June 13 2:00 – 4:00 PM LIVE Oslo
June 30 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM LIVE Birmingham
July 4 2:00 – 4:00 PM LIVE Lausanne
July 6 2:00 – 4:00 PM LIVE Paris
July 19 2:00 – 4:00 PM LIVE Monaco
July 26 3:00 – 5:00 PM LIVE London
July 27 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM LIVE London
August 22 2:00 – 4:00 PM LIVE Stockholm
August 29 2:00 – 4:00 PM LIVE Zurich
September 6 2:00 – 4:00 PM ET LIVE Brussels
jamboy

Re: Universal Sports TV Diamond League Schedule

Postby Jackaloupe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Sans Ato: Why would that be? Rights? Watched the Universal Sports continuation, right after NBC, of Penn Relays on DISH; then, for a coupla days, repeats which seemed to just patch NBC in with theirs. I didn't pick up on any missing Ato, but will recheck, as I've recorded them.

Nice thing about Universal is that they archive the meets they've shown. So, when my USATF schedules Masters Meets simultaneously w/ Worlds, I can go back and watch--even if it's just not the same as realtime.
Jackaloupe

Postby sprintdoc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:39 pm

So can anyone explain to me why Comcast (owners now of NBC/Universal) does NOT include the Universal Sports channel in its TV cable offerings? As well why they limit the internet access to those who already have TV access? Insane!

Sooooooooo yet again will have to try and find "pirate" feeds of BBC to view. Does Universal Sports not realize the demand of at least hard-core fans in similar position as mine that would pay money to view? Can not wrap my head around any of this!
sprintdoc

Postby Pego » Wed May 01, 2013 3:34 am

Thanks, jamboy.

For those that have no access to Universal Sports, this link works quite well and is (I think) safe.

http://www.sportlemon.tv/
Pego

Postby gh » Wed May 01, 2013 5:39 am

sprintdoc wrote:So can anyone explain to me why Comcast (owners now of NBC/Universal) does NOT include the Universal Sports channel in its TV cable offerings? As well why they limit the internet access to those who already have TV access? Insane!

Sooooooooo yet again will have to try and find "pirate" feeds of BBC to view. Does Universal Sports not realize the demand of at least hard-core fans in similar position as mine that would pay money to view? Can not wrap my head around any of this!

I have no inside knowledge on this, but the logical answer is that the potential audience isn't large enough to justify booting something it finds more profitable.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Wed May 01, 2013 7:31 am

gh wrote:
sprintdoc wrote:So can anyone explain to me why Comcast (owners now of NBC/Universal) does NOT include the Universal Sports channel in its TV cable offerings? As well why they limit the internet access to those who already have TV access? Insane!

I have no inside knowledge on this, but the logical answer is that the potential audience isn't large enough to justify booting something it finds more profitable.

I get Comcast, and use to get the Universal channel. Considering there are 500+ channels, 95% that are complete junk, it must have been a real loser.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby TN1965 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:26 am

New York and Eugene will be the worst coverage by far, since they are reruns of NBC show.
TN1965

Postby gh » Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 am

Conor Dary wrote:
gh wrote:

I get Comcast, and use to get the Universal channel. Considering there are 500+ channels, 95% that are complete junk, it must have been a real loser.

I did leave one part of the equation out, and that's how much the rights-holder expects to get paid to be picked up. The new Pac-12 league has been playing hardball and it's apparently very hard to find its product on a lot of outlets.

This is all about big business, obviously; it's not PBS that can be expected to provide a public service.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Wed May 01, 2013 8:42 am

The Big 10 channel was the same way at first. Playing hardball, but eventually winning out, making oodles of money. Which then led to conference musical chairs.

Yes, now that you mention it it probably is a rights thing with Universal.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby az2004 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:09 am

I have Comcast and universal sports used to be available

nut once the new nbc option with all the bike coverage was add3d, universal was dropped

for me comcasr is patheditcally bad

I lve catching results via imternet

the sport has died, thanks Comcast for putting the ninal nail in
az2004

Postby jamboy » Wed May 01, 2013 9:25 am

Here is a refresher course as to why Universal Sports disappeared from TV screens about a year or two ago. As of today, only Directv and Dishnetwork carry the channel nationally. Universal Sports wants to be a national sports channel like ESPN. However, it has been difficult to obtain carriage on cable networks.

AvailabilityPreviously, Universal Sports had been distributed through digital subchannels on other television stations, including NBC's owned and operated stations. On June 15, 2011, DirecTV became the first television provider to carry Universal Sports as a national basic channel.[7] This carriage agreement led to a further announcement on September 12, 2011, when it was announced that Universal Sports would transition to distribution via cable and satellite providers only by January 2012.[8]

On February 26, 2012, Dish Network added Universal Sports.[9]
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Wed May 01, 2013 9:30 am

Jackaloupe wrote:Sans Ato: Why would that be? Rights? Watched the Universal Sports continuation, right after NBC, of Penn Relays on DISH; then, for a coupla days, repeats which seemed to just patch NBC in with theirs. I didn't pick up on any missing Ato, but will recheck, as I've recorded them.

Nice thing about Universal is that they archive the meets they've shown. So, when my USATF schedules Masters Meets simultaneously w/ Worlds, I can go back and watch--even if it's just not the same as realtime.

For the past few years, Ato and Co. did in studio voice overs of the DL meets that were showned on a delayed basis. With the meets now being presented live, it would be more difficult I guess to do voice overs if they are not actually at the event.
jamboy

Postby Conor Dary » Wed May 01, 2013 9:30 am

az2004 wrote:

the sport has died, thanks Comcast for putting the ninal nail in

Whether Comcast shows Universal or not is probably pretty small on the health of track. When it was on Comcast I certainly don't remember any boost in popularity.
Conor Dary

Postby jamboy » Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 am

NBC only has a minority stake in Universal Sports.
jamboy

Postby Conor Dary » Wed May 01, 2013 9:32 am

jamboy wrote:
Jackaloupe wrote:Sans Ato: Why would that be? Rights? Watched the Universal Sports continuation, right after NBC, of Penn Relays on DISH; then, for a coupla days, repeats which seemed to just patch NBC in with theirs. I didn't pick up on any missing Ato, but will recheck, as I've recorded them.

For the past few years, Ato and Co. did in studio voice overs of the DL meets that were showned on a delayed basis. With the meets now being presented live, it would be more difficult I guess to do voice overs if they are not actually at the event.

I don't see why. On Universal they did the Giro live with the analysts back in the States.
Conor Dary

Postby jamboy » Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 am

Conor Dary wrote:
jamboy wrote:

I don't see why. On Universal they did the Giro live with the analysts back in the States.

To be honest, no need for voice overs. They can use the IAAF feed which has BBC commentators similar to the BBC commentators NBC/ESPN use on their broadcasts.
jamboy