Highest tracks in the US?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Highest tracks in the US?

Postby DrJay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:03 pm

My son is starting to run track, 7th grade. We went over to Woodland Park HS, 400m from our house as the crow flies, today. He did his thing. I did 4x400 and while the thin air helped Lee Evans, it spanked DrJay. Anyway, the track sits at 8480' above sea level and I got to thinking, how many other tracks are higher in the US? It's an all-weather track (read: a pretty brick red and soft, not asphalt.) I looked at all the high mountain towns in CO and found only two tracks higher, at Lake Co. HS in Leadville (right at 10,000'!) and Summit High School in Frisco CO, at 9200'. From the Google satellite view, the Leadville track looks like it may be asphalt. The one in Frisco is gray but looks like a good facility so may be synthetic, can't tell. I Googled "Highest cities in US" and really don't see any likely higher candidates for having a track. So this one may be the third highest in the US and the first or second highest synthetic one. Anyone know any differently?
DrJay

Re: Highest tracks in the US?

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:12 am

8400 ft. Ugh. Intervals in Boulder at 5400 ft felt awful and I was in shape then.

But in answer to your question, I can't think of anything higher, and I have been all over Colorado. And certainly not in Oregon. I am sure Nederland near Boulder has a track. And that is about 8000 ft.

Perhaps someday, someone will build a track on the top of Mt. Evans. Now that would be something.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby DrJay » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 am

Good call. I hadn't thought of Nederland. Close, but no cigar. From the Google Maps terrain view, their track looks to be at 8440', WP at 8500' (I revised WP's upward after closer inspection.)

Trust me, the 400s were nothing to write home about. (Yet they hurt!)
DrJay

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:48 am

DrJay wrote:Good call. I hadn't thought of Nederland. Close, but no cigar. From the Google Maps terrain view, their track looks to be at 8440', WP at 8500' (I revised WP's upward after closer inspection.)

Trust me, the 400s were nothing to write home about. (Yet they hurt!)

Since you have a vested interest in this I think we should get an independent auditor. :D

I have actually ran on Nederland's track. I did substitute teaching in Boulder Valley Schools eons ago and I taught in the HS there a few times. I was in good shape and it was awful.

I wonder what the highest track, and a real track, in the world is? Does La Paz have a track in their football stadium? That is about 12,000 feet. What is the highest altitude for a real track meet?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Jackaloupe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 am

Hah, thought yee'd never ask! I've posted on this one, from personal experience: I worked in Puno, Peru, on the shores of Lake Titicaca, highest navigable lake in the world (~3750 m, 12,300 ft., to be checked later). Turns out it's actually higher than La Paz, which lies in a "bowl" protected from Altiplano winds.

While La Paz surely has the highest actual Sports Stadium, to the chagrin of visiting teams esp. for World Cups Qualifiers, Puno has a real stadium and a real track--dirt back then and likely still is.

We played our CORPUNO (where I was an SRI/AID consultant to (very) Small Industry) 'Futbol' games an even rougher field, and Basketball on an outdoor court: toughest games of my life, esp. two in one day for one "Torneo". Given the choice to play the final game same day or next, we unwisely chose to play on: wrong choice, as while we were "rested" (that being a relative term), the other team was WARM, having just played. It's cold up there even in the shade (50s at midday in Summer), and we finished under car lights.

In the previous Thread (last year?) I recounted my hypothetical World Record for (adjusted) Pentathlon: 100m, LJ, D, SP, 1500m. No Jav in sight, so SP subbed. After I ran mid-11s (Yes, hand-timed :roll: it was all over, so I certainly gave the 1500 a pass.
Jackaloupe

Postby bambam » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:46 am

Conor Dary wrote:Perhaps someday, someone will build a track on the top of Mt. Evans. Now that would be something.

They will? There's nothing up there. About 10 years ago, at a meeting in Keystone, I biked up there to see what that hillclimb was like (it was hard and I was in better shape then!). What I most remember is that it was July, and about 90 degrees at Keystone, but it was in the 40s when I got to the top. I was freezing coming back down.
bambam

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Obviously I was joking. The only reason I brought it up was that you can drive to the top so at least there is parking. Just like Pike's Peak. I have been up Mount Evans a few times. And yes, it is freezing up there most of the time.
Conor Dary

Postby DrJay » Tue May 14, 2013 7:22 pm

R&D Dept has determined the track at Summit HS in Frisco, CO, is asphalt, making the Woodland Park HS track the highest all-weather track in the nation, as far as I can tell.

So what about Mexico, South America, and Asia (Europe seems unlikely)? Anyone know abhout any track over 9000' above sea level there?
DrJay

Postby gh » Tue May 14, 2013 8:38 pm

La Paz is at 3598 oxygen-sucking meters (11,804 feet).

Fernando Acevedo of Peru set the national record of 10.43 there, but he's better known as a quarter miler. Believe he also ran a sub-46 there, at a time when we didn't realize just what the effects really were, and he briefly was seen as a "breakthrough" kind of guy.
gh

Postby wamego relays champ » Tue May 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Jackaloupe wrote: Puno has a real stadium and a real track--dirt back then and likely still is.

Looks like a couple of years ago the Peruvian Institute of Sport installed a new Rekortan track in Puno at the Enrique Torres Belón Stadium, which is a bit higher than Jack's estimate (and higher than La Paz) at 3,829 m (12,562 ft).

http://rekortanspurtan.advpolytech.com/spurtan-bv-peruvian-institute-sports/

wamego relays champ

Postby DrJay » Wed May 15, 2013 9:25 am

We have a new winner. Stadium Victor Agustin Ugarte, Potosi, Bolivia, has a nice, blue all-weather track.

12,762' Stadium Victor Agustin Ugarte, Potosi, Bolivia
12,532' Enrique Torres Belon Stadium, Puno, Peru
11,811' El Estadio Olímpico Hernando Siles- La Paz, Bolivia

(I'm working off Wiki's list of highest SA cities, and getting the altitudes from GoogleMaps terrain view.)
DrJay