the Boston bombers thread

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:15 am

Marlow wrote:

I fear we are merely at the Dawn of the Age of Individual Terrorism. Every nutjob with a grudge to bear and a knapsack of homemade explosives will have us at their mercy. :(

And really nothing new. Joseph Conrad wrote about this kind of thing over a hundred years ago in The Secret Agent. Also the Haymarket Riot in Chicago in 1886. The IRA made life interesting in London awhile back. Nutjobs have been around since eternity.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Daisy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:20 am

batonless relay wrote:Right now there are people THROUGHOUT the United States who are actively training for the overthrow of the United States and they're American citizens, too

And, ironically, they see themselves as patriots.
Daisy

Postby jeremyp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:06 am

Shiftless. Male. Young. Unemployed. Out of main stream. Powerless. Poor self esteem. EQUALS: ANGER. Looks for a cause to gain self esteem. Finds cause he can project inadequate self esteem/anger on. BINGO. TROUBLE.
jeremyp

Postby Pego » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:34 am

batonless relay wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:...The scary thing is that they were self-radicalized by stuff the saw on the internet without any apparent help from outside terrorist groups.

That's not scary, that's expected. How are these guys any different than an American who becomes a Neo-Nazi or white supremacist just based on the way they feel about themselves? It happens all the time. Charles Manson, Eric Rudolph, Lanza, Harris and Klebold were self-radicalized, as are/were Timothy McVeigh, Ted Kazcynski, Randy Weaver, Weather Underground, KKK, Black Panthers or Eric Rudolph, Scott Roeder or any number of murderers/intimidators of doctors who perform abortion. Right now there are people THROUGHOUT the United States who are actively training for the overthrow of the United States and they're American citizens, too; only they're doing weekend "maneuvers" instead of taking trips to Russia.

A superb tracker of all of those (and many others you may have never heard of) hate groups/individuals.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... nce-report
Pego

Postby jeremyp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:38 am

Tuariki wrote:
jeremyp wrote:The issue is that there are fundamentalists who believe that their religion (and thus they) are under attack, and that striking back at the soft underbelly of the "enemy" is legitimate. Almost every religion has had this in their history. Today in Myanmar we have Buddhists killing Muslims, in Nigeria we have Christians killing Muslims, in the Sudan we have Muslims killing Christians, and in Sri Lanka we have Buddhists killing off Hindus. Leaders know how to rile up the downtrodden to commit heinous acts in the name of "religion" or "nationalism" or almost any "ism."

It appears that the common thread of much of the acts in terror in the world is religion and has been for hundreds of years.

Maybe but that was not my point. My point is that most religions have had fights amongst each other, and that focusing on Islam misses that point. I think Terrorism has been also a national/political expression for many nihilistic people. Scratch a terrorist and I think you find a depressed, angry male with a grudge, and his expressed grudge has been sanctioned and catalyzed by a group that he relates to. If given time most of them morph into Mr. average citizen.
jeremyp

Postby Tuariki » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

jeremyp wrote:
Tuariki wrote:
jeremyp wrote:The issue is that there are fundamentalists who believe that their religion (and thus they) are under attack, and that striking back at the soft underbelly of the "enemy" is legitimate. Almost every religion has had this in their history. Today in Myanmar we have Buddhists killing Muslims, in Nigeria we have Christians killing Muslims, in the Sudan we have Muslims killing Christians, and in Sri Lanka we have Buddhists killing off Hindus. Leaders know how to rile up the downtrodden to commit heinous acts in the name of "religion" or "nationalism" or almost any "ism."

It appears that the common thread of much of the acts in terror in the world is religion and has been for hundreds of years.

Maybe but that was not my point. My point is that most religions have had fights amongst each other, and that focusing on Islam misses that point. I think Terrorism has been also a national/political expression for many nihilistic people. Scratch a terrorist and I think you find a depressed, angry male with a grudge, and his expressed grudge has been sanctioned and catalyzed by a group that he relates to. If given time most of them morph into Mr. average citizen.

Trouble is prior to morphing into Mr Average too many of them go out and kill and maim. And although I didn't refer to Islam it is a reality that these days Islam tends to be a common thread with most of acts of terrorism.
Tuariki

Previous