Brave New Fork

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Brave New Fork

Postby DrJay » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 am

My god, we really are headed for a day when electronic devices implanted in our bodies control our every thought, action, and bodily function:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/tech/inno ... hpt=hp_bn5

I plan to be part of the Resistance, holed up in the North Cascades, somewhere between Newhalem, WA and the Canadian border.
DrJay

Re: Brave New Fork

Postby Marlow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:58 am

If you need an electronic fork to count bites and shame you into eating less, then I suggest you are already a lost cause in the Diet Wars. But that won't stop these people from separating foolish you from your money. :roll:
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Do they have anything to help me gain weight? :lol:
26mi235

Postby bambam » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 pm

DrJay wrote:My god, we really are headed for a day when electronic devices implanted in our bodies control our every thought, action, and bodily function:

Here's my prediction re PCs, Macs, smartphones, tablets, etc. They will all go away within the next 10-15 years. What we will have is a small chip or disc, maybe the half the size of a deck of cards that is effectively all of the above and way more powerful (due to Moore's Law). It will be embedded surgically in our forearm and we will talk into that and when we need to see screens we will use things Google Vision glasses or a virtual computer screen will be projected onto some screen if we simply tell it to do so. We will talk into it, rather than type into it. This will someday be a common surgical procedure for general surgeons, orthopaedists, and hand surgeons to implant these things. They will run on very long-acting batteries of some sort.

Maybe I'll be wrong but I bet this is coming.
bambam

Postby lonewolf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm

After cringing at the thought of a surgically implanted deck of cards in my forearm, I wondered
how voice-impared people will operate these marvelous contraptions? :)
lonewolf

Postby gm » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Great. Just what I need. Something that tweets out every belch and fart.
No thanks!
gm

Postby bambam » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 am

gm wrote:Great. Just what I need. Something that tweets out every belch and fart.
No thanks!

We're not looking forward to that, either, gm
bambam

Postby Pego » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:29 am

bambam wrote:
DrJay wrote:My god, we really are headed for a day when electronic devices implanted in our bodies control our every thought, action, and bodily function:

Here's my prediction re PCs, Macs, smartphones, tablets, etc. They will all go away within the next 10-15 years. What we will have is a small chip or disc, maybe the half the size of a deck of cards that is effectively all of the above and way more powerful (due to Moore's Law). It will be embedded surgically in our forearm and we will talk into that and when we need to see screens we will use things Google Vision glasses or a virtual computer screen will be projected onto some screen if we simply tell it to do so. We will talk into it, rather than type into it. This will someday be a common surgical procedure for general surgeons, orthopaedists, and hand surgeons to implant these things. They will run on very long-acting batteries of some sort.

Maybe I'll be wrong but I bet this is coming.

I think, I'll take that bet. Somehow, I don't foresee a Terminator/Matrix/Demolition Man world. Yes, I could be wrong :wink: .
Pego

Postby Marlow » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:58 am

Pego wrote:
bambam wrote:What we will have is a small chip or disc, maybe the half the size of a deck of cards that is effectively all of the above and way more powerful (due to Moore's Law). It will be embedded surgically in our forearm

I think, I'll take that bet. Somehow, I don't foresee a Terminator/Matrix/Demolition Man world. Yes, I could be wrong :wink: .

Yes, it will be implanted under the skin, but it will be half the size of a contact lens and just as thin. It will have all our info, including a debit card and GPS positioning. Our mini-computer/video-phone will be in our watch and project a manipulable hologram. Sound silly? Think how far we've come in the last 50 years and look forward 50 more years of even faster progress (computers are doing the heavy lifting now). Pego doesn't like it, but the Brave New World is just around the corner.
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:24 am

You call it progress when I am having difficulty finding 8-tracks for my 74 Lincoln? :(
lonewolf