new HS LJ star [split]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

new HS LJ star [split]

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Funny what you discover when you nit-pick the results sheets!!

Going through the Mt SAC results, event by event, I discovered that....

Courtney Corrin, a 9th grader at Harvard-Westlake HS in CA broke the 34 year old (!!) 9th grade class record in the outdoor LJ with her jump of 20-11 (1.8).
And she moves into a tie for 15th place on the A-T outdoor HS list!!
aaronk

Re: Outdoor Outlook--High School

Postby gktrack » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:44 pm

aaronk wrote:Funny what you discover when you nit-pick the results sheets!!

Going through the Mt SAC results, event by event, I discovered that....

Courtney Corrin, a 9th grader at Harvard-Westlake HS in CA broke the 34 year old (!!) 9th grade class record in the outdoor LJ with her jump of 20-11 (1.8).
And she moves into a tie for 15th place on the A-T outdoor HS list!!

Incredible jump for the youngster... relatively speaking, should be one of the highlights of the weekend... and we haven't seen a prep go that far since 2007, and by a ninth grader... very nice
gktrack

Re: new HS LJ star [split]

Postby gh » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:09 pm

not to be a bitchy moderator, but when you find a truly significant new person about which to rave, don't you think it's better to start a new thread than to bury it in a generic season-long overview?
gh

Postby gktrack » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:07 pm

gh wrote:not to be a bitchy moderator, but when you find a truly significant new person about which to rave, don't you think it's better to start a new thread than to bury it in a generic season-long overview?

A well-deserved split GH... I watched her jump at a meet a few weeks back and she looked like a seasoned veteran out there, very smooth... It seems she is focused mostly on LJ this season, with a sprinkle of other events here and there (e.g. 58.9 400), and is progressing without overload. I looked up her Junior Oly mark from last year, 1/2 inch shy of 20 feet (6.08m), as a 14-year old. She's also a very talented soccer player... a member of USA's U-15 national roster.
http://www.soccerwire.com/news/u-s-u-15-and-u-14-girls-national-teams-to-hold-concurrent-camps-in-cary-n-c/?loc=md
gktrack

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:31 pm

gh wrote:not to be a bitchy moderator, but when you find a truly significant new person about which to rave, don't you think it's better to start a new thread than to bury it in a generic season-long overview?

Sorry, GH.
I just figured that since she just broke the frosh class record, it wouldn't be seen as important enough to rate a separate thread.
It was important to ME....because of me having my own personal T&F record book......but maybe not as important to others.
Sometime in the past, someone (Can't remember who!) said to me....after I started a thread on various types of "minor" records being broken...or their possibilities.......that (paraphrased) "there's 1000's of records available to be broken"......inferring that unless it's a WR or a CR or a HSR or an AR.....it probably should be either ignored or placed on the back burner.

Thus my decision to mention it only in the "Outdoor Outlook" thread.

Will be less discriminating from here on!!
I hope she reaches 21 feet soon!!
Last edited by aaronk on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronk

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:34 pm

You seem to think that it is important if a record is broken rather than what is the quality of the performance. If you thought of the latter first and the former second it would probably be a more useful way to look at things.
26mi235

Postby lonewolf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:45 pm

My admittedly falliable memory bank reacted to this jump with a faint recollection that
Ychendria(sp?)Spears , Luling, Tx , jumped 21' + several years ago at the Texas
Relays as a HS frosh. Maybe it was wind aided..She never improved much.
Last edited by lonewolf on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lonewolf

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:47 pm

26mi235 wrote:You seem to think that it is important if a record is broken rather than what is the quality of the performance. If you thought of the latter first and the former second it would probably be a more useful way to look at things.

We're getting off on a tangent here, so I'll be brief.
"Quality", like "beauty", is in the eye of the beholder.
You know how much I love Mary Cain!
Yet if I'd been on this Message Board in 2011, I'm pretty sure I would've done the same with Mary's frosh class record of 4:17.84 as I did with Ms Corrin's frosh class LJ record.
Like I said....these relatively "minor" records are important to ME...because I meticulously keep up-to-date my own T&F Record Book.....in which I have class records (for both high schoolers and collegians) for every event, not to mention age records for every year from 17 to 40 in every event.

But Corrin DID break a 34 year old record (20-7 and 1/4 by Tomi Rucker of a DC high school in 1979), so that IS pretty significant....in retrospect!!
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:52 pm

lonewolf wrote:My admitted falliable memory bank reacted to this jump with a faint recollection that
Ychendria(sp)Spears , Luling, Tx , jumped 21' + several years ago at the Texas
Relays as a HS frosh. Never improved much.

Spears long jumped 21-1 and 1/2 in 2000......which is still the SOPH class record!!
Spears DOES hold a FROSH class record, however, too!!
She TJ'ed 41-8 and 1/2 in 1999....and that remains the Frosh class TJ record.

All the HS class records.....for every event, indoors and out.....are listed in Jack Shepard's HS Track book!!
aaronk

Postby lonewolf » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks, aaronk. I had forgotten the details and somehow remembered she was announced as a Freshman.
I was on the board for that B section competition when a succession of 17 and 18 foot jumps was interrupted by a green blur with a jump that I remebered was 21'+. The Texas Relays at that time had an A and B section. The winner of B had the option of competing in the A section.. I think she won A also.... but, demonstrably, I could be wrong. :)
lonewolf