Women to compete in decathlon?


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby ralmcg » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:35 am

eldanielfire wrote:
ralmcg wrote:eldanielfire, I will agree that women athletes are more than just athletes. They are complete human beings with other interests. I would still tell the women athletes to participate in "masculine" sports. The worry of being too muscular and not getting dates shouldn't deter them from doing what they enjoy. Besides not every man thinks that women with some muscles are gross and not worthy to go on a date with.


That is the problem. You think how you see things. Women's self image isn't about who they can date or what their boyfriend will think of them, that sort of ignorant opinion is why there are so many ignorant and inaccurate opinions stated on what women should do about their bodies on this thread. Image is far more important to women, by individualised need or external projection, than it is for men. The fact you equate it to what men think of them means you should really read-up on a very complex and powerful issue that takes root in historical perception, societal expectations, expectations from their own sex, hormones and the dramatic physical changes that occur in women through puberty, considerably more dramatic than their male counter parts.

Could you direct me to a website that explains about women's self-image, especially when it comes to participating in sports?
ralmcg
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:49 am

ralmcg wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
ralmcg wrote:eldanielfire, I will agree that women athletes are more than just athletes. They are complete human beings with other interests. I would still tell the women athletes to participate in "masculine" sports. The worry of being too muscular and not getting dates shouldn't deter them from doing what they enjoy. Besides not every man thinks that women with some muscles are gross and not worthy to go on a date with.


That is the problem. You think how you see things. Women's self image isn't about who they can date or what their boyfriend will think of them, that sort of ignorant opinion is why there are so many ignorant and inaccurate opinions stated on what women should do about their bodies on this thread. Image is far more important to women, by individualised need or external projection, than it is for men. The fact you equate it to what men think of them means you should really read-up on a very complex and powerful issue that takes root in historical perception, societal expectations, expectations from their own sex, hormones and the dramatic physical changes that occur in women through puberty, considerably more dramatic than their male counter parts.

Could you direct me to a website that explains about women's self-image, especially when it comes to participating in sports?


It is well documented and there are a great many studies or articles you can google.

Here's a full quick points from the women's sport foundation.

http://www.womenssportsfoundation.org/s ... ports.aspx

A peer reviewed more indepth study:

http://her.oxfordjournals.org/content/23/4/633.full

Also you'll find on this site, some posters have stated similar experience of coaching girls in college and schools.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:01 am

Putting aside the Decathlon...or even the Heptathlon and indoor Pentathlon....for now, I would think that, if women were so fearful or hesitant to look "masculine".....we wouldn't be seeing women doing ANY of the weight events......the DT, HT, JT, SP, or indoor WT.

Even sprinters and 100H women tend to be "bulkier" than other track and field athletes.

Thus, in a world where NO girl or woman chose to look "masculine" in any way......all we'd be left with are....

distance runners!!

Being a distance running aficianado, I could live with that!!! :P
aaronk
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:07 am

aaronk wrote:Putting aside the Decathlon...or even the Heptathlon and indoor Pentathlon....for now, I would think that, if women were so fearful or hesitant to look "masculine".....we wouldn't be seeing women doing ANY of the weight events......the DT, HT, JT, SP, or indoor WT.

Even sprinters and 100H women tend to be "bulkier" than other track and field athletes.

Thus, in a world where NO girl or woman chose to look "masculine" in any way......all we'd be left with are....

distance runners!!

Being a distance running aficianado, I could live with that!!! :P


I'm not saying no women would complete, but there would be many more who wouldn't, essentially setting up a sex barrier for sport.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby ralmcg » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:34 am

eldanielfire, I looked at the websites you suggested. Sure some females, like some males, will not be interested in sports. However, a good deal of discouragement for females to do sports, especially "masculine" sports, comes from society. If society puts more resources into female sports and change its attitude towards female athletes then more females would participate in sports that may make them more muscular, which nothing is wrong with that.
ralmcg
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:23 am

ralmcg wrote:eldanielfire, I looked at the websites you suggested. Sure some females, like some males, will not be interested in sports. However, a good deal of discouragement for females to do sports, especially "masculine" sports, comes from society. If society puts more resources into female sports and change its attitude towards female athletes then more females would participate in sports that may make them more muscular, which nothing is wrong with that.


I agree, hence my praise of Ennis. But women shouldn't be told that their image doesn't matter. It's easy for men, an sports body is an idealised image across the board. However big muscly arms is not for women. By that I mean weight lifter size IMO, however many women have levels well below that as their limits.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby ralmcg » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:02 am

eldanielfire wrote:
ralmcg wrote:eldanielfire, I looked at the websites you suggested. Sure some females, like some males, will not be interested in sports. However, a good deal of discouragement for females to do sports, especially "masculine" sports, comes from society. If society puts more resources into female sports and change its attitude towards female athletes then more females would participate in sports that may make them more muscular, which nothing is wrong with that.


I agree, hence my praise of Ennis. But women shouldn't be told that their image doesn't matter. It's easy for men, an sports body is an idealised image across the board. However big muscly arms is not for women. By that I mean weight lifter size IMO, however many women have levels well below that as their limits.

Which brings me to question why their body image should matter, especially in sports. They can have big muscular arms if they want. I don't believe that they should take steroids to get them however.
ralmcg
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:11 am

ralmcg wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
ralmcg wrote:eldanielfire, I looked at the websites you suggested. Sure some females, like some males, will not be interested in sports. However, a good deal of discouragement for females to do sports, especially "masculine" sports, comes from society. If society puts more resources into female sports and change its attitude towards female athletes then more females would participate in sports that may make them more muscular, which nothing is wrong with that.


I agree, hence my praise of Ennis. But women shouldn't be told that their image doesn't matter. It's easy for men, an sports body is an idealised image across the board. However big muscly arms is not for women. By that I mean weight lifter size IMO, however many women have levels well below that as their limits.

Which brings me to question why their body image should matter, especially in sports. They can have big muscular arms if they want. I don't believe that they should take steroids to get them however.


They take steroids.....and they won't have to even CONSIDER doing any more "masculine" events!!

Or feminine, for that matter!! :P
aaronk
 
Posts: 3346
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:57 am

ralmcg wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
ralmcg wrote:eldanielfire, I looked at the websites you suggested. Sure some females, like some males, will not be interested in sports. However, a good deal of discouragement for females to do sports, especially "masculine" sports, comes from society. If society puts more resources into female sports and change its attitude towards female athletes then more females would participate in sports that may make them more muscular, which nothing is wrong with that.


I agree, hence my praise of Ennis. But women shouldn't be told that their image doesn't matter. It's easy for men, an sports body is an idealised image across the board. However big muscly arms is not for women. By that I mean weight lifter size IMO, however many women have levels well below that as their limits.

Which brings me to question why their body image should matter, especially in sports. They can have big muscular arms if they want. I don't believe that they should take steroids to get them however.


It's not about the sport, it's the rest of their lives that influence their self image, which isn't just body image but perceptions they do something manish.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Women to compete in decathlon?

Postby ralmcg » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:12 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
It's not about the sport, it's the rest of their lives that influence their self image, which isn't just body image but perceptions they do something manish.

Which begs the question mannish by what standard? My answer would be society's arbitrary standards, which may have some basis in nature but are mostly what a lot of people think are suppose to be the standards of men and the standards of women (i.e. strength in men, grace in women). In other words the perceptions of women doing "manly" things are based on sex roles that have been in effect of centuries if not millenia, even if they are restrictive.
ralmcg
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 am

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], nztrackfan, olorin, steveu and 9 guests