Mary Cain vs America's Elite at Drake [4:10.77 HSR]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Mary Cain vs America's Elite at Drake

Postby EPelle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:04 am

I'm afraid you're getting lost in your own hype. Which one of these athletes are in peak racing form? None. How many 1.500m races have the top entrants run this season? Likely none. And of this Mary Cain entrant? It's unknown what she can accomplish in a first-race outdoor season opener. Given that she's never run this type of race this early in the season -- ever -- and that Drake's not an exceptionally fast venue, she's not likely to run the socks off the gals in the race in a 4.08-ish race.

Folks are arriving to get into a quality race and determine what work remains prior to world championships selection. Drake happens to land on a week-end which makes sense to the entrants to shake off the dust, get the legs going and re-learn race pace around a 400m track.
EPelle

Postby Blues » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:10 am

EPelle wrote:Any athlete in the field whose not raced this outdoor season is shaking off the rust. Cain included.

NB: Jamal hasn't run this season, hasn't been in 3.56 shape since 2009, and hasn't broken 4-flat since 2010.

But she still deserves some recent props since she WAS good enough to win the bronze medal in London behind those two "amazing" Turkish entrants, the winner of whom was Cakir Alptekin who we've read a lot about lately for reasons I won't go into.
Blues

Postby gh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 am

aaronk wrote:...
But why, if it's just a "rust buster" for Jamal, would she....
1. Come from St Moritz (??) or wherever to run a relatively slow race?...

Because she's a professional athlete and this is her job. This is a payday and she gets paid the same for a 4:08 as she does for a 5:08. No international athlete has the remotest thoughts of being in anything but in the middle of hard training in April. This is a brief divertissement, nothing more.
gh

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:27 am

I bet the winner of this race runs 4:03 or 4:04 at the very fastest, and even that might be a little bit optimistic.
JumboElliott

Postby exdrake » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Sigh. I think Eugene is bidding for this meet next year.

Go Bulldogs.
exdrake

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:44 pm

exdrake wrote:Sigh. I think Eugene is bidding for this meet next year.

Go Bulldogs.

What? The Drake Relays? In Eugene?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:21 pm

aaronk wrote:
26mi235 wrote:
aaronk wrote:
1. In her 4:17.84 race, she LED all the way!! She was NEVER in 2nd place!! This "tactic" has NOT been in evidence since then!

When she is running with high school girls her place in the pack (or ahead of it) will generally be different than when she is running with national-class (and world-class) runners.

True.
But this was the first HSR she set.
And her main opponent was one Aisling Cuffe, not exactly your average HS runner then!
So front-running the whole way was pretty daring for her!!

My point was.....that if the "elites" choose to just run 4:08 to 4:10....kind of a speed test after a winter's training....and Cain and Salazar have this planned as an "A" chaser.....she will...and CAN....front-run the entire way!!
She proved that....against top-notch HS competition....and in a first-ever record attempt....in that frosh race!

ADD: We should know BEFORE the race what everybody intends to do. I'm guessing Uceny and Co.....and Salazar/Cain will both come out with some sort of pronouncment prior to the race!

I realize hyperbole is the forte but I strongly doubt that Cain attempts any sort of a runaway if the pace is slow. Comparing what she would do vs. high schoolers makes no sense and this will be her first run vs. the better open athletes...at least en masse. So I really doubt she does anything other than her usual tactics which would be to run somewhat conservatively early.
Dutra5

Postby az2004 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 am

Oregon is at penn not drake

Salazar is being inducted into the wall of fame as a hs performer
az2004

Postby aaronk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:11 pm

One small item I've overlooked (or ignored) in my hyperbolic ravings about Cain's chances to run an "A" at Drake is that.......

IF she runs just 4:11.00 (VERY reasonable to expect that this elite field will go no slower than that!!).....

she will have broken her EIGHTH HSR...and seventh this year, indoors and out.

So, putting aside my "predictions" (HOPES!!!) that she'll run 4:05 or better at Drake.....I will be VERY happy to see her get yet ANOTHER HSR....even if only by 0.01 secs!! :D
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Laura Roesler ran a PR of 2:01.75, winning the 800 at Mt SAC.
In LAST (9th) place was....."rust-busting" Morgan Uceny, in 2:05.50.
(Splits of 60.71 and 64.79.)

And she's going to give Cain some competition?? :P

I'm JOKING!!
Well, only HALF-joking!!

I DO expect Uceny (and the other elites) will give Mary all the competition she can handle!!
aaronk

Postby az2004 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:11 am

I supposen yhe des monies mile will be part of the espn2 8:pm coverage
az2004

Postby JumboElliott » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:52 am

What is aaronk going to do when Mary inevitably has a shitty race?
JumboElliott

Postby aaronk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:59 am

JumboElliott wrote:What is aaronk going to do when Mary inevitably has a shitty race?

After sobbing and banging my head against the wall for three hours ( :P )...

I'll SAY she ran a "shitty race".......

and move on to the next......

where she'll run a GREAT one!! :D
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:09 pm

A couple of things.

1. I don't know how to "split" a thread. But on the "Outdoor Outlook--High School" thread are several posts about Cain....and the race at Drake. Would someone who knows how please move those comments and posts over to this thread?? Thank you.

2. I've gotten into a communication with Mary....through her Facebook page.
She wrote me, saying she can't "friend" me, as Facebook won't allow her to do that.....but she asked me to tell everyone I know that she wants to get 1000's of people to "like" her FB page.
She just started it last month, it appears, and has just under 100 "likes" so far.

It's a great page....with lots of comments to...and from...her...with lots of photos, etc.

She seems to really LOVE the sport......and running....and sounds very enthusiastic about Drake.
(She tweeted that she's going for the "A" there!!)

So if you're interested.....go to her FB page (Mary Cain-Athlete), and "like" it.

I told her about the T&FN Message Board....saying there were several threads about her.
Don't know if she'll post here someday....but I hope so. :D
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 am

With the word out that Cain IS going to shoot for the "A" here (She tweeted her intentions!)....the remaining questions are:

Who else among this elite group of American women is going to join Mary in her quest?
And will there be a pacer??

I can't imagine Uceny, Simpson, Rowbury et al will just let Mary run off by herself....even as someone to draft behind.
So I assume at least one of them will ALSO go for the "A".

If they're alone (no pacer), then hopefully, they'll trade off the lead....with Simpson, say, leading one lap, Cain another, and so on.

With a pacer, of course, the attempt will be made easier....for all concerned!

Ooooooooo, I can't wait!! :shock:
aaronk

Postby lionelp1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:57 am

I am guessing a win for somebody in 4.13.
lionelp1

Postby aaronk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:06 pm

lionelp1 wrote:I am guessing a win for somebody in 4.13.

If these women.....Cain included.....don't take full advantage of having such a class field to race against.....
ESPECIALLY for those.....again including Cain!.......who have never run 4:05.50 before.....
then IF/WHEN they fail to GET that "A" in another race.....
they'll have only themselves to blame!!

If they try....and fail.....well, at least they TRIED!!

I just can't imagine all these women accepting....and participating in.....a 4:13-type race!!

I'm predicting at least THREE of these women......and I DO include Cain among them!!......will run 4:05.50 or faster!!
aaronk

Postby ExRun » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Also running 800M on May 5th http://www.rerunsandiego.com/meet-schedule/
ExRun

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Also in that meet is a women's mile as well as a 5k road race and other stuff; so see the aforementioned link.
[so much for my excess cluttering :wink:
Last edited by 26mi235 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26mi235

Postby aaronk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:38 pm

ExRun wrote:Also running 800M on May 5th http://www.rerunsandiego.com/meet-schedule/
26mi235 wrote:Also in that meet is a women's mile as well as a 5k road race:

10:20AM - Women's ElliptiGO Mile
Mary Decker Slaney vs. Magda Lewy-Boulet

10:45AM - Men's 800m
Duane Solomon, Lopez Lomong, Boaz Lalang, Geoff Harris, Charles Jock, Ryan Martin, Erik Sowinski, Mark Wieczorek

11:00AM - Women's 800m
Alysia Montano, Geena Gall, Treniere Moser, Chanelle Price, Lynsey Sharp, Phoebe Wright, Brenda Martinez, Sarah Brown, Mary Cain

11:15AM - Men's Mile
David Torrence, Nate Brannen, Ryan Gregson, AJ Acosta, Peter van Der Westhuizen, Pablo Solares, Donn Cabral, Cam Levins, Travis Mahoney, Jordan McNamara, Zane Robertson, Tommy Schmitz

GH has warned me (and everyone) to keep each thread about ONLY that topic!1
While this San Diego meet sounds FANTASTIC......please split it off to a new thread!!

This one is about the Women's 1500 at Drake.....ONLY!!

Thank you! :D
aaronk

Postby rainy.here » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 pm

aaronk wrote:GH has warned me (and everyone) to keep each thread about ONLY that topic!1
While this San Diego meet sounds FANTASTIC......please split it off to a new thread!!

This one is about the Women's 1500 at Drake.....ONLY!!

Thank you! :D

Yeah 26mile - obviously your fourteen thousand+ posts in 8 years (and generally helpful/good ones), doesn't give you the right to clutter up aaronk's fan-blog in this thread! : :lol: :lol:
Last edited by rainy.here on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainy.here

Postby gktrack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Unless she was holding back, I don't see Rowbury in the mix (if at all) after her 6th place 4:45 in the Grand Blue Mile yesterday at Des Moines.
gktrack

Re: Mary Cain ?

Postby BCBaroo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:26 pm

puddys12 wrote:Have not seen anything about Mary Cain in the outdoor season yet . Is she not competing and if she is when ?

Perchance you might read the title of the topic of this thread.
BCBaroo

Postby Blues » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 pm

BCBaroo wrote:
puddys12 wrote:Have not seen anything about Mary Cain in the outdoor season yet . Is she not competing and if she is when ?

In defense of puddys12, puddy's post (and my reply to it, along with a few other replies) were merged into this thread from a different thread by a moderator.
Blues

Postby EPelle » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:28 pm

gktrack wrote:Unless she was holding back, I don't see Rowbury in the mix (if at all) after her 6th place 4:45 in the Grand Blue Mile yesterday at Des Moines.

Shannon Rowbury, on Facebook wrote:I wore every layer I had but the cold still got to me. I had fun but fingers crossed for a better race on Friday!
EPelle

Postby BCBaroo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:26 am

Blues wrote:
BCBaroo wrote:

In defense of puddys12, puddy's post (and my reply to it, along with a few other replies) were merged into this thread from a different thread by a moderator.

Ah ha! I was otherwise baffled. Thanks for explaining.
BCBaroo

Postby DaveyGuy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:07 pm

I wonder what Worth Thomas is going to do. Will she take it out fast like she did at trails in 2011?
No way is Cain going to lead. Look at USATF indoor mile, she just sat behind everyone intill the end. It works for her and she'll go with what works.
DaveyGuy

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:13 pm

DaveyGuy wrote:I wonder what Worth Thomas is going to do. Will she take it out fast like she did at trails in 2011?
No way is Cain going to lead. Look at USATF indoor mile, she just sat behind everyone intill the end. It works for her and she'll go with what works.

Cain's own Tweet said "Going for the "A"!".
And she's tended to follow Salazar's instructions to a T indoors.
So I'm wondering if she has Salazar's OK on her going for it.
If she IS going to try for it, and she has Salazar's OK, she WILL take the lead.....if necessary.

Somehow, I doubt that will be necessary, as I'm predicting others will also try for "A's".

BTW, it's spelled WUrth-Thomas, not WOrth. :D
aaronk

Postby DaveyGuy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 pm

aaronk wrote:Cain's own Tweet said "Going for the "A"!".
If she IS going to try for it, and she has Salazar's OK, she WILL take the lead.....if necessary.
Somehow, I doubt that will be necessary, as I'm predicting others will also try for "A's".

This is the first time she is going up against the "Big Ones". Reed had no problem beating Cain
indoors. But if a few of the ladies do go for a "A" I think she can run a fast time but not win it. My money is on Jamal.
I think Salazar wants his atheltes to go for the win in big meets (Oly WC DL) but maybe run for time in some, Rupp's indoor mile this year. I think that most of the US women will try to get the A in Europe latter. Cain is not a pro and her family has to pay for travel so she might be looking to bust a big one at Drake.
Last edited by DaveyGuy on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveyGuy

Postby BCBaroo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:21 pm

I'm all for "going for it". But (personal opinion) I'm a little disappointed that she tweeted she's going for the A. To me that sets up a possible outcome where she runs a 4:08 and people are somehow disappointed. Hard to fathom. Wasn't that long ago that we all went bonkers when Jordan ran with her 4:14.5. (I was there, so I can attest to the bonker going)

And - isn't asking anyone to drop a 5+ second PR in their first outdoor race of the year a different kind of bonkers.

Of course, all that being said, I'll be glued to my monitor and sure as heckfire hope she throws one down. If she does...yes. I'll go bonkers, yet again.
BCBaroo

Postby EPelle » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Front-page article on Rowbury on Friday stated that she's also going to give the "A" shot a go.
EPelle

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:23 pm

I hope she runs faster however I think we're looking at 4:07 - 4:09 for Cain.

Which would be great.
Dutra5

Postby gh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:42 pm

aaronk wrote:
DaveyGuy wrote:I wonder what Worth Thomas is going to do. Will she take it out fast like she did at trails in 2011?

Alberto just texted us to say that as far as he knows, Cain doesn't have a Twitter account, so it doesn't seem like it was her that said that.
gh

Postby Bob Duncan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 pm

gh wrote:
aaronk wrote:

Alberto just texted us to say that as far as he knows, Cain doesn't have a Twitter account, so it doesn't seem like it was her that said that.

Ah, but the fantasies and possibilities of this race are tantalizing. It's got some momentum in a few of our minds now, who knows what tomorrow night shall bring???
Bob Duncan

Postby aaronk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Been trying to verify whether it was Cain herself who tweeted "Going for the "A"!"......or just a fan club.
GH says Salazar doesn't think she has a Twitter acct.....and since her Facebook page (Which definitely IS hers!!) doesn't say she has a Twitter acct......I"ll assume for the moment she does NOT....and therefore did NOT send that tweet!!

However, I STILL believe she WILL be "Going for the "A"!.
Why??

1. Before Millrose, where she ran that 4:28, Salazar was quoted as saying she was in 4:25 shape. As she passed 1500 in 4:11 during that race, she would have passed 1500 in a 4:25 in 4:08. Almost two months ago, that leaves just 3 seconds to cut from her 1500 POTENTIAL of late February!!

2. Shannon Rowbury has apparently indicated that SHE is going for the "A". And as I've been saying, I can't imagine people like Simpson and Uceny would waste an effort in a field of this caliber....and NOT go for 4:05.50 or faster.

One question is whether there's a pacer for the race.
If there is, then an "A" chase is going to happen.
And if there is, I can't imagine Cain would just sit back and let it go on without her!

So my final guess is that, YES!, the "A" chase is a go....for Cain....and whomever else!!
And with her great kick.....I'd place EVEN ODDS on her.....WINNING!!

We'll know....in about 20 hours!!
aaronk

Postby Dutra5 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Lost in all of the previous hyperbole is the fact that Jamal, at least according to Letrun's homepage, is not running.
Dutra5

Postby donley2 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Not a snowballs chance in hell of an "A" tonight with these wind conditions. Unless they change dramatically and quickly.
donley2

Postby donley2 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Absolutely thrilled to be wrong. Fantastic run by Jen Simpson. 403. Unbelievable. High school record for Cain.

1 Jenny Simpson New Balance 4:03.35
2 Sheila Reid Nike 4:07.92
3 Kate Grace United States 4:08.24
4 Shannon Rowbury Nike 4:09.05
5 Gabriele Anderson United States 4:10.32
6 Mary Cain United States 4:10.77
7 Sarah Bowman New Balance 4:11.31
8 Emma Coburn Colorado 4:11.36
9 Morgan Uceny adidas 4:17.71
10 Ashley Miller Asics 4:19.86
11 Heather Kamph Asics 4:20.80
-- Renee Tomlin United States DNF
donley2

Postby tc » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:13 pm

And it was still quite windy and cool here at Drake. Great job of pace setting by Renee Tomlin, and Cain wisely ran her own race, looking strong all the way through.
tc

Postby Bob Duncan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Yeah, Jenny Simpson was FIERCE tonight!
I wonder what's up with Uceny? I hope that she is OK.
Bob Duncan

PreviousNext