a savage movie review

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

a savage movie review

Postby gh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 pm

I respect this reviewers views, generally speaking, and am a monster fan of Terrence Malick (even if a lot of his work is more "beautiful" than anything else). But wow!

<<In your moviegoing life, you will probably never see such a juxtaposition of cinematic genius and ineptitude, of godlike intuition and cluelessness, of beauty and ridiculousness as you'll find in "To the Wonder." Watch it with one eye, and it's a masterpiece; with another, it's a joke. With both eyes, it's simply confounding - but the one thing it's not is a success. Bend yourself into contortions and look away from every flaw, praise its insight and originality, and yet even then, you would not inflict this on a friend. At least not one you want to keep....>>

Mick LaSalle in the SF Chron (which no longer is available for reading full copy unless you have a subscription)
gh

Re: a savage movie review

Postby jeremyp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 am

gh wrote:I respect this reviewers views, generally speaking, and am a monster fan of Terrence Malick (even if a lot of his work is more "beautiful" than anything else). But wow!

<<In your moviegoing life, you will probably never see such a juxtaposition of cinematic genius and ineptitude, of godlike intuition and cluelessness, of beauty and ridiculousness as you'll find in "To the Wonder." Watch it with one eye, and it's a masterpiece; with another, it's a joke. With both eyes, it's simply confounding - but the one thing it's not is a success. Bend yourself into contortions and look away from every flaw, praise its insight and originality, and yet even then, you would not inflict this on a friend. At least not one you want to keep....>>

Mick LaSalle in the SF Chron (which no longer is available for reading full copy unless you have a subscription)

I have always viewed Malik in this way. When floating in the ether one can get both beauty and banality.
jeremyp

Postby Master Po » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 am

^agree^

I am an admirer and appreciator of Malick's films, and think the best of them are worthy of a lot of attention and thought -- and they repay that attention, especially with multiple viewings. But even the best of them tread right along the line described very well, above. Am looking forward to this new one, but aware of what I'm likely to get. (And grateful, so to speak that it's less than 2hrs long!)
:)
Master Po

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:18 am

I gave up on him after seeing

2005 The New World
2011 The Tree of Life

both were 'interesting', but not engaging or particularly entertaining/enlightening. Reminded of my college days when I'd listen to the random 'deep' babblings of kids high on dope. Sounded very important but was devoid of any real meaning.
Marlow

Postby kuha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:20 pm

I read the very mixed reviews of Tree of Life and decided that it must be worth seeing. Sadly, the answer was no. The whole thing was irritating and pointless: a shaggy, baggy, and excruciatingly pretentious attempt at "great art." I definitely admire the attempt--and the ambition--but it was a failure.
kuha

Postby gh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:06 pm

I remember not liking The Thin Red Line very much, but perhaps that's because I went into it having heard such raving reviews but not realizing it wasn't a classic "war movie."

3-4 months ago I stumbled across it again on cable just as it was starting up, and since I was puttering about the house cleaning up, I didn't bother to turn it off. Pretty soon I was no longer puttering. Finally put it on record then watched it the next day.

I was blown away. Found it to be a masterpiece this time.
gh