the Boston bombers thread

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Explosions at Boston finish

Postby vencio2 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:39 pm

if the clock was at around 4.10 for the explosion, then at any other major marathon there would have presumably been potential for much greater carnage as this would really be when the masses were finishing. Boston has a much more restrictive entry policy (minimum qualifiying times for all age groups?) and that's why the course (and the spectators) seem much more sparse than would be expected. it makes you wonder if whoever did this got their research wrong and didnt realize that they would only be hitting the tail-enders.
vencio2

Re: Explosion at Boston finish?

Postby BillVol » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:40 pm

polevaultpower wrote:
BillVol wrote:CNN video shows a runner going down after being hit in the leg with something from one of the explosions. The clock showed around 4:10 -- about the time a lot of runners would be crossing.

This was Club Northwest runner, Bill Iffrig,78-years-old. You can see him at the bottom of this picture: https://twitter.com/BGlobeSports/status ... 81/photo/1

Reports are that he suffered only a scraped knee and is OK.

78 years old and runs a 4 hr marathon. Wow. Heartbreaking to see him fall like that. I mean, what the hell. What kind of thoughts are going through his head right now? I'm glad he's OK.
BillVol

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:41 pm

JRM wrote:
bijanc wrote:NY Post "12 Dead, Injured Saudi Apprehended"

http://www.nypost.com/

(only outlet reporting either)

Boston PD have discredited this report. No one is in custody.

Also, only 2 deaths are confirmed. I think someone has fat fingers at the post and pressed two keys at once -- and apparently there are no editors at the Post, either.

The fellow is not arrested, some guy tackled this guy running away, and he looked Middle Eastern. Which of course, means nothing. I mean everyone was running away. I am sure it will be straightened out soon.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Explosion at Boston finish?

Postby user4 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:41 pm

BillVol wrote:78 years old and runs a 4 hr marathon. Wow. Heartbreaking to see him fall like that. I mean, what the hell. What kind of thoughts are going through his head right now? I'm glad he's OK.

indeed, amen!
user4

Postby BillVol » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:43 pm

vencio2 wrote:if the clock was at around 4.10 for the explosion, then at any other major marathon there would have presumably been potential for much greater carnage as this would really be when the masses were finishing. Boston has a much more restrictive entry policy (minimum qualifiying times for all age groups?) and that's why the course (and the spectators) seem much more sparse than would be expected. it makes you wonder if whoever did this got their research wrong and didnt realize that they would only be hitting the tail-enders.

I'm not positive but I thought I heard that roughly half the field had finished when the bombs went off. So another half still hadn't fnished. A lot of the info is sketchy at this point though.
BillVol

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:46 pm

John Miller from CBS is saying that they have a Saudi national in custody.
JumboElliott

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:47 pm

BillVol wrote:
vencio2 wrote:if the clock was at around 4.10 for the explosion, then at any other major marathon there would have presumably been potential for much greater carnage as this would really be when the masses were finishing. Boston has a much more restrictive entry policy (minimum qualifiying times for all age groups?) and that's why the course (and the spectators) seem much more sparse than would be expected. it makes you wonder if whoever did this got their research wrong and didnt realize that they would only be hitting the tail-enders.

I'm not positive but I thought I heard that roughly half the field had finished when the bombs went off. So another half still hadn't fnished. A lot of the info is sketchy at this point though.

I think I've read in the past that the maximum finish line density is right around 4 hours which would also likely mean maximum family viewing density. So the timing was likely very specific.
Dutra5

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:50 pm

BillVol wrote:

It was 4:09 into the men's race, so probably thousands still on the course at the time. I ran the race 25 years ago, and I can only imagine the chaos involved. The T was closed, roads closed, a mess all around.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
BillVol wrote:

I think I've read in the past that the maximum finish line density is right around 4 hours which would also likely mean maximum family viewing density. So the timing was likely very specific.

Timing also probably had to do with access to that area. With the elite runners coming in it probably would have required a pass to get there. By that time it was probably opened to the public.
Conor Dary

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
BillVol wrote:

It was 4:09 into the men's race, so probably thousands still on the course at the time. I ran the race 25 years ago, and I can only imagine the chaos involved. The T was closed, roads closed, a mess all around.

How is the finishing line clock set?
Does it start when the elite women start, about a half hour (20 minutes??) before the men?

If so, then the MEN finishing at that point would be the 3:40 or 3:50 guys......and the WOMEN the 4:10 people!!

Does anyone know about this??
aaronk

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Hard to believe it has only been 4 hours since the explosion. It seems like days.
Conor Dary

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Hard to believe it has only been 4 hours since the explosion. It seems like days.

I know!
Was thinking the same thing a bit ago.

I watched the entire race on livestream, up through the winners' post-race interviews.
Then THIS!!

It DOES seem just minutes ago that we were wondering if Felix would hold her one minute lead with just 10K to go.
Or if Shalane had enough left to get second.
Or when the men would start getting SERIOUS!!

Seems so.....I don't know.....trivial now??
Sad, sad, sad!
aaronk

Postby no one » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:25 pm

race (for runners past ~ 4:00hr time) was rerouted to a parallel street. News didn't say if timing was moved over. Would seem the chaos and suddenness would make that more than a challenge. The video of the explosion itself showed the 78 yr old seemingly decked by sheer force of explosion - aired over and over on all major networks and Fox. Good to hear he is OK. ... all according to 'reports'.
no one

Postby no one » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:55 pm

daughter's good friend ran - finished in 4:07.xx - was one block away when explosion happened. She is okay but communication - only one time via her brother. .... one block - spooky
Last edited by no one on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no one

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:56 pm

I was just talking to one of my sisters who live in Boston and with the downtown area in lockdown, apparently the runners can't get back into the hotels near the finish. Just walking around in shorts with the kevlar blankets. Ugh.
Conor Dary

Postby bijanc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:05 pm

From Globe's Kay Lazar:

Boston Children’s Hospital received eight patients injured at the explosion at the Boston Marathon. Patients’ conditions ranged from good to serious. There were no patient deaths among the patients brought to Boston Children’s from the scene.

Our patients included:

• A 9-year-old girl with leg trauma who is in the operating room.
• A 42-year-old parent of a patient is being treated in the ED.
• A 7-year-old boy is being treated in the ED for a minor leg injury.
• A 12 year old with a femur fracture has been admitted.
• A 2 year-old-boy with a head injury has been admitted to the Medical/Surgical ICU.
• Three additional patients in good condition were treated in the ED
According to Boston EMS, we will not be receiving any more patients from the Boston Marathon scene
bijanc

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Conor Dary

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:15 pm

I gave the particulars on my friend/colleague above which was based on clock-times linked to her race times. For her, 4:01:57, the clock times was 2:23 or so, 20+ minutes before the blast. However, she had a 3:2x seed time and might have had less of a wait reflected in the chip time.

As for the runners, I got a time stamp for her at 42,130m (65 meters from the end). Thus, they should have timing on the runners until close to the end, even if they did not get anything official over there. Just linking some runners to the right finishing time (clock, should allow them to deconstruct the pieces and put them back together again.
26mi235

Postby no one » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:32 pm

conor - seems like an effective way to make a horrible situation --- worse. That's from the cheap seats tho. I'm sure its more than a logistical nightmare
no one

Postby no one » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:41 pm

dozens of victims lay in the street, some unconscious, some grievously injured, including some whose limbs had been torn off by the blast. Boston Globe

has it been confirmed/verified that people had limbs torn off?
no one

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:02 pm

no one wrote:dozens of victims lay in the street, some unconscious, some grievously injured, including some whose limbs had been torn off by the blast. Boston Globe

has it been confirmed/verified that people had limbs torn off?

Yes, on CBS they talked to a doctor. And lots of similar reports of witnesses. Horrible stuff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/us/wi ... on.html?hp
Last edited by Conor Dary on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Dary

Postby JRM » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:06 pm

JumboElliott wrote:John Miller from CBS is saying that they have a Saudi national in custody.

Boston PD is still denying this at present. CBS likely got it from the Post....
JRM

Postby bijanc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:10 pm

On CNN And. Cooper reported a few people were taken in for ?ing, including a wounded Saudi who is hospitalized under heavy guard.
bijanc

Postby BillVol » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Photo of Bill Iffrig goes viral. His son, Mark, said, ""He's a hell of a runner. He's run a lot and he's fast."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/78-year-old-runner-knocked-down-boston-blast

As for the question asking if anyone has lost a limb, there is at least one terrible picture on the internet confirming this.
BillVol

Postby Daisy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:20 pm

BillVol wrote:As for the question asking if anyone has lost a limb, there is at least one terrible picture on the internet confirming this.

This quote was in one of the NYTimes interviews:
“There was, at one point, a man with no legs — an image I never want to see again.”
Daisy

Postby Bob Duncan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:39 pm

I know that this wasn't as "bad" as 9/11 in terms of body counts, but damn. We can only pray that the survivors recover, as many are in critical condition. It sure as hell hits close to home for so many of us. Maybe the federal government will wake up and call this a terrorist attack. :evil:
Bob Duncan

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:13 pm

The terrorist label will get there - it is just a sign that they want to get somewhere with the investigation. Different than, but some similarities to the Atlanta OG bombings.
26mi235

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Sadly the monster who did this might thing that it's more likely to be american's who are tail enders.
eldanielfire

Explosions at Boston finish

Postby bobguild76 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 pm

What a sad, horrific, tragic day. My son & I watched the race on streaming feed, and then went on a day hike, all the while re-living the races. Then we returned home ... and AUGH!!!!!! It is difficult to express the shock and outrage in words. Or the sense of loss for those who died or were injured, and for those who were at the blast scenes.

I hope they find the despicable cowards who planted the explosives. Whether a sporting event, some other public setting, or a random act of terror, it is beyond the pale. It will take time to gather the evidence and track down the killers, but the authorities won't stop until that happens.

Here's hoping for an awesome, terror-free London marathon next week, and the best Boston Marathon ever next year. That will be an appropriate in-your-face to those who seek to drag us down to their level through such reprehensible acts.

PS - After spending the last two years in South Africa and listening to marvelous BBC coverage of marathons & the Olympics, I was completely underwhelmed with the streaming feed commentary. The marathon requires commentary that matches the race ... clear, thorough, subtle, insightful, understated, focused, and with the endurance to last the entire race without becoming boring.

Tell us about the competitors and their cv's. When it comes to the East Africans, tell us about them. They're more than a bunch of carbon copy, hard to pronounce names. Merga and Gebre are both Ethiopian, but have fantastically different racing styles. Give us a synopsis of memorable Boston marathons and personalities. Show more of the chase pack in the early stages, and the close chasers when a late break is made. Oh well, I may be asking for the sky, but it can be done!
bobguild76

Postby shivfan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:54 pm

That's why I think this is the work of an amateur, and not the pros who have an international reputation for maximising casualties....

Terrible, terrible news for everyone who suffered from this, and my heart goes out to them...but if this bomber had benefitted from better organisation, it could've been so much worse.
shivfan

Postby ldnbloke » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:52 am

It still beggars belief that there's no sanctity preserved for anything. And for us ( the hardcore fans) it hits harder. Not right...
ldnbloke

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:13 am

shivfan wrote:That's why I think this is the work of an amateur, and not the pros who have an international reputation for maximising casualties....

Terrible, terrible news for everyone who suffered from this, and my heart goes out to them...but if this bomber had benefitted from better organisation, it could've been so much worse.

I agree. My guess is domestic terrorism. There are many ways it could have been much much worse. Still really terrible what did happen, of course.
polevaultpower

Postby Marlow » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:45 am

The hard (impossible) part is trying to make sense of it. I am reminded of the cinematic line:

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

:(
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:52 am

The fact that it was Patriot's day and that Oklahoma City and Waco were on Patriot's day might mean a home grown terrorist attack. Might!
jeremyp

Postby bijanc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:53 am

It was likely done to make those involved feel no place is safe, though no one has claimed credit. It's a vigilance peace, one which will make our lives, particularly those you know who run such races in Cincy, DC, NYC, St. Louis, London, and Chic., think about one more thing. Same goes f/ the spectators. I just visited Cincy on an individual media tour, and a few people I met have either run in the Flying Pig (they call it "The Pig"), or are training f/ it by working up to half marathons. One p.r. person I dined w/ my first night there, who is prob. in her 50's, has run NYC and Chic. Then last weekend, I saw a pretty woman in a downtown DC hotel on crutches w/ one foot in a boot up to her shin. I asked the nature of her injury, how she travels through airport security w/ cructhes, and how long she'd be off the foot (she broke a foot bone). She told me she'd injured it training f/ the St. Louis marathon.
bijanc

Postby Marlow » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:17 am

jeremyp wrote:The fact that it was Patriot's day and that Oklahoma City and Waco were on Patriot's day might mean a home grown terrorist attack. Might!

The nonsensicality of it is what the bomber thinks he's gaining in the attack. All it did was resteel the resolve to fight this kind of cowardice.
Marlow

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am

jeremyp wrote:The fact that it was Patriot's day and that Oklahoma City and Waco were on Patriot's day might mean a home grown terrorist attack. Might!

You could just as easily suggest that a foreign terrorist would target the middle of the pack which is largely American as opposed to the top finishers which were largely not American. I suggest letting the investigators do their work and see what they find. And pray for the victims and their families.
Halfmiler2

Postby bijanc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 am

"...The nonsensicality of it is what the bomber thinks he's gaining in the attack. All it did was resteel the resolve to fight this kind of cowardice..."

The bomber thinks he just struck fear & apprehension in the hearts of Bostonians, U.S. residents in general, big city marathoners and their promoters/sponsors/hosts, and gave law enforcement and intel bureaus something about which to think. Maybe even TSA authorities.

His incident dominates U.S. news today.
bijanc

Postby Pego » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 am

A tax day, too. I am betting on one of the anti-government fanatics.
Pego

Postby bijanc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:43 am

So many Yanks and domestic groups detest abortion, gun control, some fed judge or D.A. who locked them or their brethren up, or just our sense of security. Rather than express this displeasure @ the ballot box, some resort to exploding devices around toddlers and eight-year-olds.
bijanc

PreviousNext