the Boston Marathon race thread

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Boston: Will Shalane's Irish eyes be smiling after?

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:46 am

DrJay wrote:I think Rawson just said "The Boston Marathon has not had a women's champion since 1985." He said something like that earlier as well.

He should do the commentating in Latin. That would impress us. And you could more easily ignore him.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:51 am

Is there a headwind? The men's is a jogathon.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby norunner » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:03 am

eldanielfire wrote:Is there a stream for non-US viewers?
Sorry for the late reply, only just got home: http://watchlive.baa.org/
Last edited by norunner on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
norunner

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:04 am

AL just said Flanagan finished in 4th, the worse position! This is not the Olympics....
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:06 am

Are the men on strike? More money!!
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:14 am

Well that was exciting....
Conor Dary

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:17 am

Two Africans win.

Two Americans finish 4th.

Ho hum.
aaronk

Postby unclezadok » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:23 am

Back to the decathlon...
unclezadok

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:31 am

Because the aliens as far away as GB, interested in the results of the Marathons in Boston (which will surely have finished at 5.10 p.m. GMT,) have not seen, neither on this website nor the Lets run, any statement by fans as to who actually won the frigging races, could some kind person tell us, if it ain't a state secret.;. Streaming is useless on most things covered in the USA.

why is it always impossible to see what the blazes s going on at track in the USA for the big events, except when its the odd University stuff which I see. I always receive the same charming message that "people in your country cannot see the event" or words to that effect. I suppose you fans do see the BBC track stuff??

Thank goodness we will see the DL races in the States on the Beeb thus not needing the idiot message just referred to.
lionelp1

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:35 am

I LOVED Goucher's first words after crossing the finish line.

"How did Shalane do?"

Friendship is profound! :cry:
aaronk

Postby ExCoastRanger » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:39 am

lionelp1 wrote:...why is it always impossible to see what the blazes s going on at track in the USA for the big events, except when its the odd University stuff which I see...??

You think it's frustrating for you over there?
Try living here.
Welcome to the world of the average t&f fan in America.
ExCoastRanger

Postby mump boy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 am

lionelp1 wrote:Because the aliens as far away as GB, interested in the results of the Marathons in Boston (which will surely have finished at 5.10 p.m. GMT,) have not seen, neither on this website nor the Lets run, any statement by fans as to who actually won the frigging races, could some kind person tell us, if it ain't a state secret.;. Streaming is useless on most things covered in the USA.

why is it always impossible to see what the blazes s going on at track in the USA for the big events, except when its the odd University stuff which I see. I always receive the same charming message that "people in your country cannot see the event" or words to that effect. I suppose you fans do see the BBC track stuff??

Thank goodness we will see the DL races in the States on the Beeb thus not needing the idiot message just referred to.

You could have watched the whole thing live here http://watchlive.baa.org/ as i just did

Rita Jeptoo won the women's from ETH (don't know which one) and Sharon Cherop and an Lelisa Desisa won the men's from Micah Kogo and Gebre Gebremerian
mump boy

Postby DecFan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:42 am

1 Desisa, Lelisa 2:10:22 ETH
2 Kogo, Micah 2:10:27 KEN
3 Gebremariam, Gebregziabher 2:10:28 ETH
4 Hartmann, Jason 2:12:12 CO USA
5 Korir, Wesley 2:12:30 KEN

1 Jeptoo, Rita 2:26:25 KEN
2 Hailu, Meseret 2:26:58 ETH
3 Cherop, Sharon 2:27:01 KEN
4 Flanagan, Shalane 2:27:08 OR USA
5 Tsegaye, Tirfi 2:28:09 ETH
6 Goucher, Kara 2:28:11 OR USA

No, US residents can't see most track programs streamed on the BBC. The solution - for Americans wanting to watch BBC streaming and for those elsewhere wanting to watch US steaming - is a VPN. There are (decent) free options and (better) $5/month options available.
DecFan

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 am

I just looked at an American site re the coverage which gave the "requirements" for watching live the races this morning; they referenced 15 named countries outside the USA who can see it live... this list includes those hotbeds of Marathon running, India, Israel, New Zealand etc :( :(
I hope you fans in the States get a chance to see live the coverage next week of the London Marathon
How fascinating that we constantly hear the the cliches about the "global" world we live in etc etc and the wonderboys who run your TV dont recognise GB for coverage. Must be an interesting answer somewhere...
lionelp1

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:52 am

mump boy wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:Because the aliens as far away as GB, interested in the results of the Marathons in Boston (which will surely have finished at 5.10 p.m. GMT,) have not seen, neither on this website nor the Lets run, any statement by fans as to who actually won the frigging races, could some kind person tell us, if it ain't a state secret.;. Streaming is useless on most things covered in the USA.

You could have watched the whole thing live here http://watchlive.baa.org/ as i just did

Rita Jeptoo won the women's from ETH (don't know which one) and Sharon Cherop and an Lelisa Desisa won the men's from Micah Kogo and Gebre Gebremerian

Went onto the site at watchlive and got nowt :(
lionelp1

Postby EPelle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:52 am

EPelle

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:57 am

lionelp1 wrote:

You didn't miss much.
Conor Dary

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:04 am

mump boy wrote:

Mump, I have just looked at the site you mentioned, via the post of one of the comments earlier on this thread, and the site on the right hand side of the web page states there a number of requirements to see the coverage live... Item 5 categorically states those countries that CAN receive the coverage, starting with the name, USA and going through the 15 country list ending with New Zealand; There is NO mention of the United Kingdom :roll: .

If I type in the address bar "watchlive.baa.org" right now the bloody British Airways stuff comes up. :lol:
lionelp1

Postby DrJay » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:06 am

Conor Dary wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:

You didn't miss much.

Whaddayamean? They missed Larry Rawson!
DrJay

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:06 am

Many thanks, Epelle
lionelp1

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:13 am

Note that Joan Benoit Samuellson finished in 2 hours 50 mins today, just before her 56th birthday, so they tell me. Bloody impressive!!!!
lionelp1

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:18 am

DrJay wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:

You didn't miss much.

Whaddayamean? They missed Larry Rawson!

That is right, I forgot. I still think it would have been better in Latin. Maybe next year. Also have the splits in Roman numerals.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes
Conor Dary

Postby aaronk » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 am

lionelp1 wrote:Note that Joan Benoit Samuellson finished in 2 hours 50 mins today, just before her 56th birthday, so they tell me. Bloody impressive!!!!

Her time of 2:50:29 breaks the age 55 record for women.
Old record was 2:52:14.
aaronk

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 am

I just read Sean Hartnett's Rube Goldberg version of a 'legal' course on the front page. What can you say, except it is idiotic. It is the Boston Marathon. Who really cares if it is aided, as long as it is the right distance.
Conor Dary

Postby unclezadok » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:46 am

lionelp1 wrote:Note that Joan Benoit Samuellson finished in 2 hours 50 mins today, just before her 56th birthday, so they tell me. Bloody impressive!!!!

Well, SOMEBODY came to run. It figures that it would be Joan.
unclezadok

Postby booond » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 am

That article was less informative than Barbara Huebner's race commentary.
booond

Postby exdrake » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 am

Not really sure what I just saw there especially (slow) on men's side in what sounded like good temps, neutral/negligible winds?

Aside: This was possibly Hartmann's last race for lack of sponsorship ($)--anyone know what 4th place money was and if top American gets additional dollars?

2nd aside: For all the ridiculous posts re potential times for Flanagan and Goucher...I would not have thought Goucher would be within a minute (approx.) of Flanagan. I would have guessed about 3 min behind. She ran well on apparently limited prep.
exdrake

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:11 am

exdrake wrote:Not really sure what I just saw there especially (slow) on men's side in what sounded like good temps, neutral/negligible winds?

Aside: This was possibly Hartmann's last race for lack of sponsorship ($)--anyone know what 4th place money was and if top American gets additional dollars?

Sponsor him for what exactly? The guy ran 2:12, which wouldn't have been in the top 10 Americans in the race 30 years ago. 4th was nice, but except for a brief mention in the papers tomorrow quickly forgotten.

Of course it was also 30 years ago, Benoit won, Meyer won, 76 Americans broke 2:20. Ah, the good old days.
Conor Dary

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:17 am

Conor Dary wrote:I just read Sean Hartnett's Rube Goldberg version of a 'legal' course on the front page. What can you say, except it is idiotic. It is the Boston Marathon. Who really cares if it is aided, as long as it is the right distance.

It is hardly a Rube Goldberg in any sense of the term. It simply starts at the 12mile (19.6km) Post and runs about 10Km to about the 6M (10K) Post, then turns back and does the last 20 miles (32K) on the standard set up. If they started at the half way point 21.1km Post They could run by Wellesley twice!

As for this quote, it is my opinion that the 'complaint' is irrelevant; he is beating guys that have run 2:05 and won Marathon Majors. People should understand that a good chunk of the improvement in marathon times over the last 20 years is due to the courses and how much faster they are, especially as runners learn to train for that type of race. What matters is where you finish, especially winning. These are not sprint races, they are running races where the object of the top runners is to win/place high. Do you think a runner would rather run 12:55 and place 5th in the OG 5000 or run 13:15 and place 1st (or second or third); not a chance.

Sponsor him for what exactly? The guy ran 2:12, which wouldn't have been in the top 10 Americans in the race 30 years ago. 4th was nice, but except for a brief mention in the papers tomorrow quickly forgotten.
26mi235

Postby booond » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:28 am

When the runners racing to win took off they left Hartmann behind. He didn't race to win at the end, he raced to finish. That he was able to stick with his 2:12 game plan and that meant 4th is great for his wallet but it is more a function of pacing than skill level.
booond

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:32 am

The guy ran a fine race, in 4th. But he is still a 2:12 marathoner. I would be amazed anyone is clamoring to sponsor him or any big marathon paying more than usual to show up.

I think he did well because the East Africans don't know how to run that slow. Their muscles atrophied from lack of use.

And getting 5th in the OG is not the same as 4th in Boston, where the winning time was 2:10.

And as for Rube Goldberg I was thinking of the whole article. Measuring the wind at about 30 places along the course? It is like bird watching and looking for an Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

We have spotted one sir! A gust of Wind!!!!

Where, Where??

Hereford St, sir!

The race is illegal! Thank god, we caught that!
And an out and back course with that mob?

It is the Boston Marathon. If a Legal time is so important run the race on a track. That would be very non-Rube Goldbergian.
Last edited by Conor Dary on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:34 am

booond wrote:When the runners racing to win took off they left Hartmann behind. He didn't race to win at the end, he raced to finish. That he was able to stick with his 2:12 game plan and that meant 4th is great for his wallet but it is more a function of pacing than skill level.

Right. He ran to run 2:12, and everyone else fit into place. A fine idea in the circumstances.
Conor Dary

Postby DrJay » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:49 am

Conor Dary wrote:That is right, I forgot. I still think it would have been better in Latin. Maybe next year. Also have the splits in Roman numerals.

Per kilocubit....
DrJay

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:53 am

A lot of Americans do not have great PRs because they tend to run the two biggest US marathons, NYC and Boston [Chicago is faster, but conditions are inconsistent, although Boston and NY are also inconsistent]. While both are 'aided' course, they are systematically slower than the Rotterdam/Berlin/London set. If running a 2:05 there means that they can run 2:05 in NYC, then they would be nuts not to run away from the field -- but of course, they cannot. Boston and NYC and the OGs and WCs as well are typically Races, not Time Trials.
26mi235

Postby kuha » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:58 am

26mi235 wrote:A lot of Americans do not have great PRs because they tend to run the two biggest US marathons, NYC and Boston.

You've got your cart before the horse. "A lot of Americans" are not fast enough to be flow in to run those other races. If we had consistent 2:04/05 guys, they'd have quite a few races to choose from, I suspect.
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:09 am

kuha wrote:
26mi235 wrote:A lot of Americans do not have great PRs because they tend to run the two biggest US marathons, NYC and Boston.

You've got your cart before the horse. "A lot of Americans" are not fast enough to be flow in to run those other races. If we had consistent 2:04/05 guys, they'd have quite a few races to choose from, I suspect.

On the men side, Hall had his day in London, but that is probably past, while Ritz at 2:07 has a certain appeal overseas, but nothing say like the US scene.

On the women side, Flanagan and Goucher, while excellent runners, have far more financial appeal to the NYC and Boston folk, then say, London.

But of course, we left out the Chicago Marathon, which is fast and in the US, as Ritz showed last fall.
Conor Dary

Postby lovetorun » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 am

Flanagan 4th and Goucher 6th just over a minute behind her. The times were slower than I thought...especially with the favorable weather. But a very interesting race...but show again, our best (Flanagan and Goucher) aren't quite there yet...as far as being able to run with the best East Africans. :(
lovetorun

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 am

The results seem a bit irrelevant now.
Conor Dary

Postby Swensen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am

Shalane ran a great race -as usual. When she knew she was beaten, she didn't quit. She gathered her foggy 24 mile self (you never been there then don't ask) and ran a wonderful proud finish over her home streets. Tell me you know a tougher more accomplished gritty US athlete, not just in track and field, but in all sports ?
Swensen

Postby TN1965 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 am

aaronk wrote:

Her time of 2:50:29 breaks the age 55 record for women.
Old record was 2:52:14.

Boston's course is not record eligible. So this record will remain unofficial, the same way Lyudmila Petrova's 2:25:43 from 2008 NYC is not offocially recognized as the Master's WR.

BTW, Christine Kennedy ran 2:55:18 to become the oldest woman (58) to break 3 hours. (Unofficially, of course.)
TN1965

PreviousNext