Jamaican flag to be flown annually at Penn relays

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Jamaican flag to be flown annually at Penn relays

Postby jamboy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 am

Well, I am glad it is happening now. This should have happened many many years ago though

================================================================================

Penn Relays Director, David Johnson, said Jamaica would be the only country to be so honoured, because of the outstanding contribution made to the games by its athletes, in addition to the tremendous presence and support given to the games by Jamaicans from all over the United States and elsewhere.
“Jamaica’s participation in the games has greatly influenced the yearly attendance. This is evidenced by the great turnout and vast number of black, green and gold colours in the stands on a yearly basis,” said Johnson.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Jam ... z2QLwsoicr
jamboy

Re: Jamaican flag to be flown annually at Penn relays

Postby DoubleRBar » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:25 am

Lately, you think of the Penn Relays and you think about Jamaica. They do go together.
DoubleRBar

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:50 am

As we know Penn Relays now, Penn Relays would be nothing without the Jamaican athletes and their fans who normally make up about 80% of those in attendance at the yearly meet.
jamboy

Postby Blues » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:04 am

jamboy wrote:As we know Penn Relays now, Penn Relays would be nothing without the Jamaican athletes and their fans who normally make up about 80% of those in attendance at the yearly meet.

Although I think that the flying of the Jamaican flag at Penn is a great idea, the 80% number is another product of the Jamboy propaganda mill. Digicell, one of the sponsors, recently estimated that Jamaican fans make up 25-35% of total Penn attendance, and the Jamaican Gleaner newspaper has estimated "close to 50%"... I can see how one in attendance might think the numbers were higher though, based on the amount of noise/cheering heard for Jamaican athletes, as well as the large numbers of waving gold, green, and black flags in the stands that tend to block the view of the track when races involve Jamaican athletes... :wink:
Blues

Postby DoubleRBar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:09 am

Maybe it's 80% of the cheering.
DoubleRBar

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:14 pm

DoubleRBar wrote:Maybe it's 80% of the cheering.

Yea, that too :D
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Blues wrote:
jamboy wrote:As we know Penn Relays now, Penn Relays would be nothing without the Jamaican athletes and their fans who normally make up about 80% of those in attendance at the yearly meet.

Although I think that the flying of the Jamaican flag at Penn is a great idea, the 80% number is another product of the Jamboy propaganda mill. Digicell, one of the sponsors, recently estimated that Jamaican fans make up 25-35% of total Penn attendance, and the Jamaican Gleaner newspaper has estimated "close to 50%"... I can see how one in attendance might think the numbers were higher though, based on the amount of noise/cheering heard for Jamaican athletes, as well as the large numbers of waving gold, green, and black flags in the stands that tend to block the view of the track when races involve Jamaican athletes... :wink:

Those numbers are wildy underestimated.
jamboy

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 pm

jamboy wrote:
Blues wrote:

My guess is that you've never attended the Penn Relays. You're wrong. There's no other way to put it.
Dutra5

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
jamboy wrote:
Blues wrote:

My guess is that you've never attended the Penn Relays. You're wrong. There's no other way to put it.

You are wrong. I have attended Penns every year for the past 20 years.
jamboy

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:24 pm

jamboy wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:

You are wrong. I have attended Penns every year for the past 20 years.

Then you'd know that about 25% of the crowd is Jamaican. Everyone else there is either a participant, a relative of a participant or a non Jamaican fan.
Dutra5

Postby Blues » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:58 pm

jamboy wrote:Those numbers are wildy underestimated.

Where does your 80% number come from? You repeatedly state 80%, despite the fact that major sponsor Digicell, and both major Jamaican newspapers (Jamaica Gleaner and the Jamaica Observer) all estimate that Jamaican fans make up somewhat less than 50% of the paid attendance. ("25-35%", "close to 50%", and "of which nearly half are Jamaican", from each source's respective articles that mention the usual Penn Relays attendance demographics.)

I've attended Penn (often all 3 days), for most years during the past 20 years just as you state that you have. And there's no way that anything remotely approaching 80% is a valid number for the percentage of Jamaican fans in attendance if we consider all sections of the stands.
Blues

Postby JRM » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Blues wrote: And there's no way that anything remotely approaching 80% is a valid number for the percentage of Jamaican fans in attendance if we consider all sections of the stands.

But Jamboy only considers the Jamaican sections of the stands. So his 80% is probably an underestimate...
JRM

Postby JumboElliott » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Is jamboy the same person as notorious?
JumboElliott

Postby JRM » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:53 pm

JumboElliott wrote:Is jamboy the same person as notorious?

So many names.
JRM

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Well, if he is, he is a bit reformed -- major fanboi but more civil and less "Very, Very Uncivil".
26mi235

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:38 pm

26mi235 wrote:Well, if he is, he is a bit reformed -- major fanboi but more civil and less "Very, Very Uncivil".

I find it funny when people try to link me to other posters on this board. I have been on this board for so many years and there has never been the need to post under another moniker. Why would I want to do that?

Jamboy has nothing to hide from.
jamboy

Postby JRM » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:04 pm

jamboy wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Well, if he is, he is a bit reformed -- major fanboi but more civil and less "Very, Very Uncivil".

I find it funny when people try to link me to other posters on this board. I have been on this board for so many years and there has never been the need to post under another moniker. Why would I want to do that?

Jamboy has nothing to hide from.

The board says you joined in Feb 2008, yet your first post is apparently from 26 Aug 2012 at 15:11. So many years, yet so silent...?
JRM

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:05 pm

This is one-year-old news. Anyone who was at last year's Penn Relays should remember all the pomp and circumstance surrounding this announcement.

http://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/sport-J ... 10756.html
jazzcyclist

Postby Blues » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 am

jamboy wrote:

I'll go out on a limb and take a stab at the answer. Is it because your previous 18 monikers have all already been banned? :wink:
Blues

Postby Blues » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 am

The oddsmakers have been familiar with jamboy's posts since way back in his jammmin years... The betting line in Las Vegas is currently 5 to 1 against jamboy's "relative" civility being maintained when it's time to discuss certain results of the Penn Relays and Moscow. :wink:
Blues

Postby az2004 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 am

I usually sit in the upperdeck on Saturday...

I enjoy the Jamaican fans, the alwsys keep me upto date with the best and brightest of the up and coming Jamaicans talent

Jamaicans need a visa and with boston event, wont it be harder to get one now

I suspect security entering franklin field will make lines enterting long and tough

come early and be prepared to wait long
az2004

Postby az2004 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 am

a friend contacted penn about their back pack policy for the weekend and he wrote to me

I just talked with the Penn Relays folks and they indicated that security requirements for the upcoming event have not been finalized so any talk about no backpacks for fans is premature at this time. They indicated we should check the Penn Relays web site early next week to obtain final information (their phone number is 215-898-6145). However, he did indicate that using a clear plastic bag to carry personal items should not be a problem.
az2004

Postby jamboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 am

az2004 wrote:a friend contacted penn about their back pack policy for the weekend and he wrote to me

I just talked with the Penn Relays folks and they indicated that security requirements for the upcoming event have not been finalized so any talk about no backpacks for fans is premature at this time. They indicated we should check the Penn Relays web site early next week to obtain final information (their phone number is 215-898-6145). However, he did indicate that using a clear plastic bag to carry personal items should not be a problem.

I don't believe they will ban back packs. Most of the athletes walk around with their back packs with their personal items.
Over the years, they have searched all(most back packs) as well as they have hand held metal detectors. I think they will just make sure everything is scanned and checked more carefully this time. Expect massive delays at the gates. Delays were arel pretty bad already over the years.
A lot of Jamaican fans including myself carry a back pack to carry our our own food(jerk chicken, fry fish, rice and peas) so that we don’t have to stand and wait in the enormous lines outside the Golden Crust station.
jamboy

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Athletes get them, not the fans, and everything is to be checked.
26mi235

Postby jamboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:22 pm

26mi235 wrote:Athletes get them, not the fans, and everything is to be checked.

Okay meet director. lol :D
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:23 pm

az2004 wrote:I usually sit in the upperdeck on Saturday...

I enjoy the Jamaican fans, the alwsys keep me upto date with the best and brightest of the up and coming Jamaicans talent

Jamaicans need a visa and with boston event, wont it be harder to get one now

I suspect security entering franklin field will make lines enterting long and tough

come early and be prepared to wait long

The US embassy in Kingston always give our athletes a hard time every year when it come to issuing visas in a timely fashion.
jamboy

Postby Blues » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 pm

jamboy wrote:
The US embassy in Kingston always give our athletes a hard time every year when it come to issuing visas in a timely fashion.

That's unfortunate. In cases like this there's sometimes a very small minority that try to abuse the system though, and who end up making things harder for everyone else. I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with how easily visas are issued for Jamaican athletes in Kingston or not, but I guess it could...

http://articles.philly.com/2011-07-18/n ... klin-field
Blues

Postby az2004 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 am

penn press conferenes

Oregon will be thetre

http://www.thepennrelays.com/ViewArticl ... =207312262
az2004

Postby az2004 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:49 am

http://www.european-athletics.org/gates ... inter.html

lemaitra gaiten and bailey, not a bad 100 from the sounds of it

might add a few more perhaps
az2004

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:36 am

I want see 1st race 100 of Gatlin this year.
I hope that he gets sub10 in Penn Relays :D
Bailey should to be very near and Lemaitre near 10.00.
ZELLGADISS

Postby iain » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:10 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:I want see 1st race 100 of Gatlin this year.

Personally I hope he pulls up
iain

Postby az2004 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:22 am

the last time penn had a stud doing the open 100, I recall powell running one

here hopes theey choose to have to add someone else to the meet from the usa or world stars
az2004

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 am

iain wrote:
ZELLGADISS wrote:I want see 1st race 100 of Gatlin this year.

Personally I hope he pulls up

Do you hope that The Big O pulls up every race too or are you biased? You do not have to like the guy, but you do not have to shout out something nasty every time either.
26mi235