Yohan Blake, injured?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Yohan Blake, injured?

Postby toyracer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Yohan Blake just pulled up lame in a 100m heat at the Utech Classic. Slow out of the blocks he was trying to catch Kim Collins, looked like hamstring area at about 60m.
toyracer

Re: Yohan Blake, injured?

Postby jamboy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:48 pm

toyracer wrote:Yohan Blake just pulled up lame in a 100m heat at the Utech Classic. Slow out of the blocks he was trying to catch Kim Collins, looked like hamstring area at about 60m.

It does not appear to be a major injury. He walked away on his own and he did not appear to be limping when we saw him walking away on the grass infield.

He will be fine.
jamboy

Postby t_monk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:53 pm

He has a bye in the 100 so he had better ease off for a while....
t_monk

Postby JumboElliott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:01 pm

He just tweeted that it was a cramp.
JumboElliott

Postby jamboy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:03 pm

JumboElliott wrote:He just tweeted that it was a cramp.

Just as I suspected.
jamboy

Postby jamboy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Kevin Stewart of the Racers Track Clubs in an interview on TVJ said that it was only a slight cramp Yohan suffered and he should be back to training in a few days.
jamboy

Postby ATK » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:12 pm

t_monk wrote:He has a bye in the 100 so he had better ease off for a while....

Curious if he will be going for a spot in the 200 as well, or only the 100m as in 2011?
ATK

Postby jamboy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:14 pm

ATK wrote:

Curious if he will be going for a spot in the 200 as well, or only the 100m as in 2011?

Olympic silver medalist in the 200m and the second fastest time in the event at 19.26.

Why would he only go for the 100?
jamboy

Postby starboyunlimited » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:28 pm

here is the race kim collins won
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5KshtFCZYQ
starboyunlimited

Postby t_monk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:31 pm

jamboy wrote:
ATK wrote:

Olympic silver medalist in the 200m and the second fastest time in the event at 19.26.

Because of his cramp.... If it is anything more than a cramp then it wouldn't make sense he pres himself to try to make the 200 team.
t_monk

Postby ATK » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:45 pm

t_monk wrote:
jamboy wrote:
ATK wrote:

Because of his cramp.... If it is anything more than a cramp then it wouldn't make sense he pres himself to try to make the 200 team.

I agree, and If I remember correctly, the reason he didn't run the 200 at 2011 trials is because he had slight pains early in the year and coach didn't want to risk it.

Please correctly me if I'm wrong.
ATK

Postby jamboy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:23 pm

I think so. He will run the 200m at the trials and skip the 100m since he is the defending champion.

There will not be a clash between Bolt and Blake at the trials in June however.
jamboy

Postby zidan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:33 pm

you are right, unless bolt doesn't get the bye in the 200.
zidan

Postby shivfan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:22 pm

shivfan

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:31 am

zidan wrote:you are right, unless bolt doesn't get the bye in the 200.

Bolt has the automatic bye as the 200m champion in 2011.

No way can a DL winner(Ashmeade) supercede a defending champion.

IAAF is going to have to decide soon. Jamaica may end up with 5 entrants in the 200m in Moscow(top 3, defending champion and DL winner.
jamboy

Postby t_monk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:57 am

jamboy wrote:

IAAF is going to have to decide soon. Jamaica may end up with 5 entrants in the 200m in Moscow(top 3, defending champion and DL winner.

IAAF have decided.... Only a maximum of four.... the forth person from Jamaica would have to be decided upon by the local Athletics Federation, so as to who gets to the 4th spot will depend on what the JAAA decides.
t_monk

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:21 am

t_monk wrote:
jamboy wrote:

IAAF have decided.... Only a maximum of four.... the forth person from Jamaica would have to be decided upon by the local Athletics Federation, so as to who gets to the 4th spot will depend on what the JAAA decides.

Fair enough. We can rest assured that Bolt will be one the 4 even if he doesn't run the 200m at the trials.
jamboy

Postby ATK » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:28 am

jamboy wrote:
t_monk wrote:
jamboy wrote:

Fair enough. We can rest assured that Bolt will be one the 4 even if he doesn't run the 200m at the trials.

I think I read that Bolt has already decided to run the 100m at trials, which I would assume means he will take the 200m wild card entry.
But also since its Jamaicas decision, cant they grant Ashmeade and Bolt a pass and oly take the top 2 from trials?
ATK

Postby jamboy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:43 am

The JAAA can make whatever rules it deems necessary.

Bolt doesn't have a choice in the 100m. He has to run it if he wants to be on the team.

I have not heard the JAAA made any public statements as to what they will do. I am positive a decision will be made and publicized before the trials. It will make sense for all 200m athletes to make sure they are ready just in case.
jamboy

Postby ATK » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:16 am

jamboy wrote:The JAAA can make whatever rules it deems necessary.

Bolt doesn't have a choice in the 100m. He has to run it if he wants to be on the team.

I have not heard the JAAA made any public statements as to what they will do.

Bolt is the DL champion in the 100m and the WC in the 200. As you said, JAAA has not made any decision yet, so he technically has a pass in both...
ATK

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:02 am

Bolt told several months ago that Blake has BYE in 100m by wold champion(although Bolt is winner 100 DL), and who doubts that Jamaican Federation choose GOD Bolt against only good runner like Ashmeade? :lol:

The choice is very very sure
ZELLGADISS

Postby gh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:51 am

Bolt has specifically said that he will run the 100 at the Jamaican Champs.

He and Bolt can't both have wild cards in the event; the federation needs to choose one or the other.
gh

Postby ATK » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:50 am

gh wrote:Bolt has specifically said that he will run the 100 at the Jamaican Champs.

He and Bolt can't both have wild cards in the event; the federation needs to choose one or the other.

Oh ok. So the IAAF says that both cannot have a bye, even if only 4 are sent to Moscow?
ATK

Postby gh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:49 pm

from Athletics Weekly last November

<<The IAAF this week announced that the overall event winners of each track and field discipline in the Samsung Diamond League will all be rewarded with a wild card entry for the following year’s IAAF World Championships.

However, the maximum entry from a country will still be limited to four in any individual event, so in the case that both the Diamond League winner and the defending world champion are from the same country, only one or the other will be able to take advantage of the wild card. In such circumstances, the decision as to which athlete gets the wild card rests entirely with the national federation.>>

I am wondering, now that you mention it, if the IAAF would say "OK" if you rationalized we're entering 4 no matter what, so what do you care if it's 2 wild cards plus a pair? Rather than 3+1
gh

Postby ATK » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:12 pm

gh wrote:I am wondering, now that you mention it, if the IAAF would say "OK" if you rationalized we're entering 4 no matter what, so what do you care if it's 2 wild cards plus a pair? Rather than 3+1

Yea that seems odd that they would only allow one wild card pick. I assumed the whole idea of the DL winner getting a bye was to add more of the best in the world to the WC. But forcing a choice to ba made essentially limits that idea, if that makes sense.
ATK

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:16 pm

The only way that it matters is if they both lack the qualifying standard (and a B at that) - Not sure I can think of a scenario where they would be able to race effectively and not have a B. JAAA can decide that they will let all wildcards to qualify automatically, leaving two slots for the team to be decided.
26mi235

Postby JumboElliott » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:06 am

The article on the front page seems to indicate that his injury is pretty serious.
JumboElliott

Postby Jackaloupe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:20 am

Jumbo, Best fine tune that "pretty serious": After walking off, tweeting "just a cramp", then finally turning up some damage in an MRA, that all adds up to a Minor Strain, and better that it's in the HamString--a more straight-forward injury than, say, Hip Flexor (Gay) or Groin, much less that horrendous Achilles tear that took Liu down.

For now, they're saying (from the Gleaner Article cited) that only 2 Meets are affected: May 4 Kingston Invit. and Diamond League 2 weeks ("a fortnight") later.

My own speculation--stemming from plenty of experience w/ HamStrings--is based on taking Yohan's own actions and comments at face value, unlike PR-managed incidents prior to some game or another. If you don't feel it immediately (like a rubber band snapping), it's not a Pulled Muscle--an overused term, often applied to cramps and strains, esp. in NFL.
Jackaloupe

Postby jamboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 am

Jackaloupe wrote:Jumbo, Best fine tune that "pretty serious": After walking off, tweeting "just a cramp", then finally turning up some damage in an MRA, that all adds up to a Minor Strain, and better that it's in the HamString--a more straight-forward injury than, say, Hip Flexor (Gay) or Groin, much less that horrendous Achilles tear that took Liu down.

For now, they're saying (from the Gleaner Article cited) that only 2 Meets are affected: May 4 Kingston Invit. and Diamond League 2 weeks ("a fortnight") later.

My own speculation--stemming from plenty of experience w/ HamStrings--is based on taking Yohan's own actions and comments at face value, unlike PR-managed incidents prior to some game or another. If you don't feel it immediately (like a rubber band snapping), it's not a Pulled Muscle--an overused term, often applied to cramps and strains, esp. in NFL.

Well, it is probably a minor hamstring injury if he was able to walk away easily on his own.
jamboy

Postby toyracer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:21 am

It sure didn't look like just a cramp when I saw it live. I certainly hoped it was.
toyracer

Postby ZELLGADISS » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 am

By the words of Mills, the injury is more or less important.
He will have to change his schedule because Kingston,Doha and Shanghai were "only" his races before trials.
Now if finally he does not run these meetings, he should to run in other meetings i imagine :roll:
ZELLGADISS

Postby Jackaloupe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 am

Toy, A Pull or even a Strain is generally a Cramp-in-motion, i.e. the motion's momentum works against the cramped, tightened muscle, stretching beyond its elastic capacity. I once, in my latter "career" in amateur Soccer, managed to one of the deeper hamstrings by kicking way up hight and overhead, as a Defender. I could feel the internal "pull", yet could still run some, certainly walk normally. I wisely stepped off, and let it heal a week or so; when it felt fine, I overdid loosening it up, in a HotTub: once I'd warmed the outer Hamstring muscles, I stretched a bit too far, and could feel that inner band give.
I only mention all this to paint a vivid picture of what can happen: The athlete is totally "warm", then in the strain of the race, something happens--maybe a misstep, or tensing to accelerate (Blake was behind Collins @ 40m). Maybe, as in my case, a WeakLink in the form of a single band of muscle that wasn't over-stretched until the rest of the effectively protective sheath of muscle had been warmed/loosened
Jackaloupe

Postby JumboElliott » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 am

Jackaloupe wrote:Jumbo, Best fine tune that "pretty serious": After walking off, tweeting "just a cramp", then finally turning up some damage in an MRA, that all adds up to a Minor Strain, and better that it's in the HamString--a more straight-forward injury than, say, Hip Flexor (Gay) or Groin, much less that horrendous Achilles tear that took Liu down.

If they're already ruling him out for a meet that is more than a month away from now, it's a serious injury.
JumboElliott

Postby Jackaloupe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:46 am

If they're already ruling him out for a meet that is more than a month away from now, it's a serious injury.JumboElliot

Fer Gawd's sake, Jumbo, I was qualifying--in excruciating detail--your single adjective, which your interpretation of serious = missing a single meet (3 weeks away, not a month) reveals to be quite subjective. For me "serious" implies a Pulled Hamstring" (in this case as the area was specified), which requires a good 6 weeks to heal.

A difference worth parsing, wouldn't you concede? And please don't see it as contradicting you--merrily "fleshing it out" :P
Jackaloupe

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 am

Jackaloupe wrote:For now, they're saying (from the Gleaner Article cited) that only 2 Meets are affected: May 4 Kingston Invit. and Diamond League 2 weeks ("a fortnight") later.

This seems to indicate that the meet on May 4 is out and the DL two weeks later, May 18, is out. That is 33 days out, more than a month. As noted in another post, it also means that he will likely add in other meets to what was a pretty thin schedule (well, he can race Bolt (and some others as well) occasionally in training, so he dos not need a lot of competitions to know where he is and get his head in to it.
26mi235

Postby shivfan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:54 am

"YOHAN Blake has been sidelined for at least six weeks after medical reports indicated that his injury appears more serious than first thought. As a consequence, the 100 metres World Champion will miss the Jamaica Invitational, as well as the Doha and Shanghai Diamond League races."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/OU ... z2QjT8yVfp
shivfan

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:24 am

So at this point he's not running until Adidas at the earliest?
JumboElliott

Postby Jackaloupe » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 am

Further quotes from the latest Gleaner article, from Spencer, w/ Coach Glen Mills refusing to discuss the injury, deferring to Blake's "Management Team". So far no one addresses the actual nature, only "hamstring", which is a complex of muscle:

The essential point is, he did an MRI and his injury was more serious than first thought. It's not a bad injury, it's not just a cramp, and he won't have any competition for approximately six weeks," said Spencer.
"It's not a bad injury, but you have to take the long view and don't rush his return and get a more serious injury," warned Spencer.
Blake, who has a personal best of 9.69 seconds and 19.26 seconds for the 100m and 200m, respectively, tweeted after the race that: "Am good my twitter family just a cramp."
"He is resting and recovering. The point is, it's not a serious injury and to ensure proper and maximum recovery, out of an abundance of caution, he is going to be out of a couple of meets," Spencer reiterated.

[All of which reiterates our own interpretation, and even speculation about Meets to be missed. My own eschewal of the term "serious" echoes theirs, presumably to draw the distinction between a Strain like this and an actual Pull.
Reports on resumption of training will shed much more light. I'd expect it to be sooner (if not already, on some level) rather than later. Having the Worlds on the horizon, and with Blake capable of worldclass performance straight out of training, it make senses to give more than one Diamond League meet a pass.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/OU ... z2QjzgvksB
Jackaloupe

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:57 am

I would not be surprised if his first meet is some low-key affair where he can run a race but not worry about trying to beat one of the top 5 or even top 10 guys, which could put more stress on it. That is what Tyson Gay did.

He does not need the money so much that he needs to race the DL. He is better, but not that much better from those in positions 3-7 that he can beat them if he is not 100% and they are.

As for 'serious', the injury is serious to the extent that it interferes with racing and training, giving him relatively little additional room for being at the top come the WCs [e.g., another similar setback would reduce his chances of beating Bolt (modest) and beating everyone else (good).

Given this, I would not be surprised to see him just do the 200 at the Trials. The 200, with its more measured build up to speed (especially the way he has often run it) and less intense top end, is likely to be easier on him and he has the bye to the WCs.

It is not 'serious' in the sense that some one calls the injury itself a serious injury. Its not good news, but it is not pretty bad news either, from what I have seen.
26mi235

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Trying to differentiate between a strain and a pull is simple semantics. They are both tears of the muscle. It's pretty clear that Blake has torn part of his hamstring, the only question is how to what extent it is torn.
JumboElliott

Next