Mark Enyeart ?

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Mark Enyeart ?

Postby user4 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 pm

What explains the under performance of Mark Enyeart in 1976 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrUwXb7P_Ag

After this race in the sumer of 1975, if someone had polled the question; who was going to win gold and break the OR in Montreal? .. Certainly Enyeart's name would have been one of three best picks... and yet he doesnt even make the final.
Last edited by user4 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
user4

Re: Mark Enyeart ?

Postby gh » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:25 pm

our story from the OT described him as "coming off a year of injury and illness."
gh

Postby Brian » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:50 pm

If speaking of one-off efforts, Enyeart would certainly rate a pre-race vote for eventual winner. But most gold medal contenders at 800 meters in a championship--especially so back then--were athletes with an 800-1500 range, not 400-800 as was Enyeart.

A certain amount of strength was needed to make it through the rounds relatively easily and be recovered/sharp for the final.

A talented 400-800 type might pull it off at the NCAA or AAU/TAC/USATF/Partridge-in-a-Pear-Tree championships, but much tougher at The Games.

With the exception of Juantorena--the ultimate exception to any middle-distance rule (including body-type!)--think of the others who have won medals: Van Damme, Wolhuter, Wottle, Coe, Ovett, Cruz, etc.

Enyeart was an altitude boy, at least in college; an added strength bonus other 400-800 range types lacked.

Glad you mentioned Enyeart. I liked watching him race. His injury must have been severe (foot?).
Brian

Postby user4 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Watching that race I could not help but think that Enyeart had all the tools to at least medal in Montreal. Training at altitude should have only helped him. The other item that catches the eye is Rick Wohlhuter, he had to have had one of the most graceful strides ever. I have not seen anything quite like a Wohlhuter since.
user4

Postby gh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:20 pm

also need to remember that '76 was Enyeart's first year out of school. That's a tough transition at any time, but was far more so back in the "amateur" days; even though he moved on to the Pacific Coast Club, the most pro group in existence at the time, the elemental support structure just evaporated for him.

Mark went on to a good career as an FBI agent.

ps--despite the vid's insistence in calling him en-yart, I'm pretty sure he went by en-yert. (but I must say, the amount of information dispensed in the race call was very good, as was the overall commentary, and I'm embarrassed to say I don't know who that was)
gh

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:28 pm

gh wrote:
ps--despite the vid's insistence in calling him en-yart, I'm pretty sure he went by en-yert. (but I must say, the amount of information dispensed in the race call was very good, as was the overall commentary, and I'm embarrassed to say I don't know who that was)

Is it Bill Toomey?
Dutra5

Postby wamego relays champ » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
gh wrote:

Is it Bill Toomey?

It is indeed Bill Toomey. (based upon viewing the full version of the same clip at the Historic Films site, which starts earlier and shows the runner introductions).

wamego relays champ

Postby George Matthews » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:31 pm

he was very unfortunate with the draw in Montreal. He ran a great race in the 6th heat and was only just pipped by Van Damme and Susanj in a slow race with the fast losers coming in the earlier heat. He made the 2 European aces race straight through the line and, in an event were all the heats were very competitive, he was with John Walker the unlucky loser in my opinion.
George Matthews